Tom Powers: Minnesota Twins won't win...

Tom Powers: Minnesota Twins won't win with this bullpen

There are 24 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 20, 2009, titled Tom Powers: Minnesota Twins won't win with this bullpen. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

It's become a rite of summer baseball here in Minnesota. Each season, when the temperature climbs and the mosquitoes buzz, the Twins dump many of the free agents who were signed the previous winter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Airborne doesnt get it

Eden Prairie, MN

#21 Jun 21, 2009
1LT in 101st Airborne wrote:
"101 pitches is entirely too many" for Scott Baker? Then what's he doing in the majors??? Seems to me that today's pitchers could use a little lesson in testosterone from Bert Blyleven's generation where complete games were the norm. Much as I agree the Twins need bullpen work, I think the current generation of starting pitchers in MLB need to find some cajones as well.
You don't know what you are talking about. 100+ pitches are enough. The more he goes, the worse his next start will be. Bert's old school thinking is not the norm with all the moo-lah invested in these major league arms today. Bert played for a ham sandwich compared to today's players, and it is as much management as the player on making sure they get these guys for the duration of their contracts. Didn't Baker just sign a multi-year deal? They want him to pitch for every year of the contract, not just this year. You won't see them overuse these guys; the Twins are smart enough to know they have to have these guys for the long-haul. They should just go get some bullpen help, that would help more than stretching out all the starters.
Nuts

Ridgecrest, CA

#22 Jun 22, 2009
Meanwhile Breslow's put up very solid numbers for Oakland...
killerduck

Wolf Point, MT

#23 Jun 22, 2009
If you don't push yourself alittle bit each game, you will never be able to go any farther than you go at the present time.(Some of our Twin pitchers
could rely on your defense getting the outs rather than pressure yourself to strike everyone one out.}
If it wasn't for Jack Morris' extra effort, who wons who would have won the World Series.
Why are we still having pitching injuries when we are so conscious about pitch count.
Also why do Twin pitcher give up so many homeruns. We must be leading the league.
TC Florida

Apopka, FL

#24 Jun 27, 2009
Nuts wrote:
Meanwhile Breslow's put up very solid numbers for Oakland...
It did seem premature to give up on Breslow. Did they think he would make it through waivers? Not smart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Astros Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Yankees' Cashman was concerned with Girardi's '... Nov '17 HePhartss 2
News Whicker: Bullpen roulette backfires on Dodgers ... Oct '17 Fart Limes 2
News Astros' Gurriel may be punished for racist gest... Oct '17 Fart Signals 2
News Bizarre pickoff play contributes to wild finish Oct '17 ThePhartz 2
News Tale of the Tape: Houston vs. L.A., and we have... Oct '17 Fart Biscuits 2
News Southern California to get third day of swelter... Oct '17 Fart Biscuits 2
News Verlander 'right at home' in impressive debut (Sep '17) Sep '17 Right pharts 2