Tanning Tax: New health care reform i...

Tanning Tax: New health care reform increases tax on tanning sa...

There are 32 comments on the Fox6 story from Mar 25, 2010, titled Tanning Tax: New health care reform increases tax on tanning sa.... In it, Fox6 reports that:

That trip to the tanning bed could cos you a lot more, and it could happen sooner than you think.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox6.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bayarea_guy01

United States

#2 Mar 25, 2010
It is proven it causes cancer. However If the money will stay with this issue(which it will not). The problem is the tax will not go to the intended reason. It will go into a fund that will have money in it. Well let's take that money and put it here. :o) I think people will know what I am saying here.
AJ a Patriot

United States

#3 Mar 25, 2010
To all those that voted for Obama you are just as much to blame for all that your dear Muslim president is doing and will continue to do. More taxes, less and less rights. I tan all the time. I just have to walk outside in the sun and I tan. What is he going to do tax and or ration the amount of sunlight we can be exposed to. Obama take it to the moon because you are not weanted or needed here....
Cinnamon

Sioux City, IA

#4 Mar 25, 2010
This is absolutely ridiculous!So they're going to tax tanning and changed their decision about taxing cosmetic surgery.I guess getting your boobs bigger or getting botox is better for you. This health care reform gets worse everyday. Way to go,Obama!
Cinnamon

Sioux City, IA

#5 Mar 25, 2010
Health care reform just keeps getting better and better. Taxing tanning salons! Are you kidding me!!!!!!!! Way to go,Obama!
wow

United States

#6 Mar 25, 2010
isnt that racist?
tab

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Mar 26, 2010
I think that this is ridiculous- and that think that is better things that Obama could rather then pick on the little people.How about a better tax break for us the People???? I am just saying. I have tanning paid up until 2011- I will just make sure that I buy more so I wont have to worry about it for a while.I do think that this is racist !
katinka

Hartland, MI

#8 Mar 26, 2010
According to Nancy Pelosi "The best initiative we can take to improve jobs, strengthen our economic security, is to pass health care reform". Yeah, right... I would love to hear what the owners of the tanning salons have to say. I'm sure with this new tax, the tanning salons will be posting record breaking sales... It is painful to watch these idiots fumble around with our lives.
frank

Dallas, TX

#9 Mar 26, 2010
I wish the government would stop telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing. I can look out for myself, I don't need Barry to do it for me. Like many other small businesses, tanning salons have been closing at a rapid rate, this tax will speed up the death of another industry.
Johnny

Madison, IN

#11 Mar 26, 2010
I just sent a letter to Attorney General Van Hollen concerning this Tan Salon Tax and the racism and constitutionallity of this tax
Johnny

Madison, IN

#12 Mar 26, 2010
Why is there no one sticking up for this tax increase here? Maybe the people who dont tan, cant read! Oh ya, its not free so those people dont care!
Cooked flesh stench

Cudahy, WI

#13 Mar 26, 2010
The approach appears similar to alcohol & nicotine taxes. Apparently some people are not aware of the health risks involved with cooking themselves in a bed of ultraviolet light. There are better ways to acquire vitamin D & the unnatural tan. Salon owners should have considered a healthy direction a long time ago. It's not the type of service to be proud of.
Get Outside

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Mar 26, 2010
Cooked flesh stench hit right on the head. This is no different than the "sin tax" placed on tobacco and alcohol products. The purpose is to deter people from doing things that are known to be detrimental to your health. This is needed even more in light of the health care reform. The everyday American is ultimately going to pay the bill for the health issues caused down the road. The healthier we are as a country, the lower our health care costs and thus our taxes will be. I used to be a very frequent tanner and have since given it up because of the known health dangers. This tax will deter some people from tanning and that is the purpose.
Maybe now we'll all be able to go out without seeing leather-faced unnaturally dark people that look 20 years older than their actual age.
For those of you up and arms, maybe you should just go take advantage of the natural sun light. Starting a personal savings account to cover your medical costs for your Melanoma in 10-15 years wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Johnny

Madison, IN

#15 Mar 26, 2010
@ Get Outside
Pewaukee, WI

I agree with you concerning health issue, but do we want the Government telling us what we can and can not do?This is the road Obama is taking us down.Just another way to take freedom away.

Soda tax
Tobacco tax
Salt tax next?

I mean, come on, when does it end where the Government gets the he77 out of our lives?
Johnny

Madison, IN

#16 Mar 26, 2010
Watch, Onstar will keep records soon to how many miles you drive and Government will tax you if you go over so many miles a day.Are you starting to get the picture?
sss

Watertown, WI

#17 Mar 27, 2010
I think its great that the taxes are imposed on things that are bad for you. Tanning a lot can cause cancer or other health issues. I dont fake bake tan cause I dont want my skin to look rubbery. Fake baking I think is a waste of money for someone to do, just go outside and lay in sun u get just as much ultraviolet rays. Ban on smoking is great. I am a non smoker and I am happy that I can go to a bar without smelling like an ashtray. Go obama changes are good. People just hate change thats all.
Johnny

Madison, IN

#18 Mar 27, 2010
@ sss

Ban on smoking is great. I am a non smoker and I am happy that I can go to a bar without smelling like an ashtray. Go obama changes are good. People just hate change thats all.

Really, if you owned that bar, would you want someone telling you how to run it? Next, if you dont like the smoke, maybe you have a choice not to go there and go somewhere else.The whole point is the Government telling us how to run our lives, especially if you own the business.

“Open your eyes and mind”

Since: Mar 10

Milwaukee

#19 Mar 28, 2010
It seems that the old Beatles song "Taxman" is becoming more and more like a premonition than a "diddy" lately.
We're being misled if we buy into the notion that it's all in an effort to improve the overall health of the country, though. The reality is that the government is looking for new INCOME, and they are focusing on things that people will, for the most part, continue to purchase on a regular basis regardless of the higher price - thus providing a regular and permanent inflow of cash. I would see things differently if the monies collected were put towards the "added" health care costs incurred by their respective users, but we all know this is not the case.

I wonder what will happen if people actually do give up the habits being taxed and the projected increase in revenue dries up. What will be the next thing to be overtaxed? Oh yeah - energy and fuel. Wait and see, folks!

Believe me, this is not the end of it, either. With all the new "programs" Obama & Co. has in mind, the government is going to need alot more of our money in the future. It seems to me that this is a time for ALL OF US (you too, Uncle Sam) to cut back on spending, not initiate new expenditures we can't afford and then get "creative" to find new income to cover the costs.
good

Thiensville, WI

#20 Mar 28, 2010
Good, I hope they tax the heck outta of it..Tanning salons are the dumbest thing they have out there. Its pathetic that people plan their lives around fake baking, almost as bad as starbucks
IrishEyes

Germantown, WI

#21 Mar 28, 2010
Years from now, all those people who shun sunlight are going to be riddled with breast cancer, colon cancer and prostate cancer because they refused to supply the vitamin D receptors contained within every cell of their bodies - with what nature intended - sunlight. Come on people! There is no such thing as "fake bake." A tan is our bodies' natural response to sunlight and is intended. It doesn't matter where you get it and you don't have to worry about weather, cloud cover or overexposure in a tanning salon. They offer doses in a controlled atmosphere and are essential to my health and wellness. Did you know...?

To get the vitamin D value of 10 minutes exposure to sunlight, you'd have to eat:
6 1/2 pounds of shiitake mushrooms, or
150 egg yolks, or
3 3/4 pounds for fresh farmed salmon, or
30 servings of fortified cereal, or
2 1/6 pounds of sardines, or
30 cups of fortified orange juice

Hungry?
Johnny

Madison, IN

#22 Mar 28, 2010
Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to President Barack Obama, said people will begin to support the law when they learn more about it because “it’s good for them.”

“We are confident that the American people will support this,” Jarrett said on ABC’s “This Week.”

This is the attitude of the White House!

Thanks for telling me whats good for me Valerie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milwaukee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Trump Supporters, Republicans mean and vulgar (May '18) Thu Truth 6
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Dec 5 jassoeric 25
Elites Nov 30 Jack 1
~Derrick Veal Nov 26 Darnel 1
News Outlaws Motorcycle Gang Indicted: 27 members of... (Jun '10) Nov 25 Derrick 70
Is Wisconsin a place that encourages/protects h... (Sep '12) Nov 24 FREE 106
New "Chillwaukee" shirts on Amazon.com Nov 19 bstees 1

Milwaukee Jobs

Personal Finance

Milwaukee Mortgages