Northridge Mall Sold: Old Northridge ...

Northridge Mall Sold: Old Northridge mall bought by Chinese inv...

There are 54 comments on the Fox6 story from Dec 30, 2009, titled Northridge Mall Sold: Old Northridge mall bought by Chinese inv.... In it, Fox6 reports that:

After six years of sitting empty Northridge Mall will be open once again. Most are wondering if the new Northridge Mall will be anything like the old one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox6.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Diane

Kenosha, WI

#1 Dec 30, 2009
I may be wrong about this cause I have not been in the northridge area for a couple of years now, however when I was last there I thought they torn down the mall, built a pick -n- save and a Menardes. The Mall building was destroyed. Am I wrong about this? or is Milwaukee playing a mean trick on a old resident?
Bob

Kansasville, WI

#2 Dec 30, 2009
They remodel part of the mall, but I'm not sure if they torn the part down or just remodel the inside. However, the rest is still standing and vacant.
Timmy

Kingsland, GA

#3 Dec 30, 2009
So, in a time where we should worry more about "Made in USA", we are actually going to dedicate an entire mall filled with poor quality products whose sole purpose is to fill up our landfills. I suppose...Wal Mart does it every day.
Michael Jacobs

Thiensville, WI

#4 Dec 30, 2009
I think this is a good idea this will bring in jobs that people need.
Randy

Kingsland, GA

#5 Dec 30, 2009
Michael Jacobs wrote:
I think this is a good idea this will bring in jobs that people need.
Cool.$7 an hour, free Ramen Noodle lunch, and they'll let me sleep under the counter!
Ken

Brookfield, WI

#6 Dec 30, 2009
Only the Sears store was demolished to make way for the Menards and Pick'n'Save. The Menards is literally in the same spot as Sears was, though a bit larger than Sears, and only a sigle level. Its eastern wall physically abuts the mall itself, though I don't know if there is a "mall entrance" hole in the Menards wall. The rest of Northridge still stands completely intact, though undoubtedly a wee bit dusty and dirty by now...
Gerald

Kansasville, WI

#7 Dec 31, 2009
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool.$7 an hour, free Ramen Noodle lunch, and they'll let me sleep under the counter!
I heard Oak Creek had something like that. It's called the airport
Gerald

Kansasville, WI

#8 Dec 31, 2009
Timmy wrote:
So, in a time where we should worry more about "Made in USA", we are actually going to dedicate an entire mall filled with poor quality products whose sole purpose is to fill up our landfills. I suppose...Wal Mart does it every day.
You're right. People love to support "Made in America," yet the same people are shopping at Wal-Mart and other retail-box stores. Also, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE an empty mall, standing there being an eyesore RATHER than having an investor trying to do something with it. Then again, you're in Oak Creek, so you don't really need to travel all the way up here to shop or look at the eyesore.
Cory

United States

#9 Dec 31, 2009
I can't imagine what this bastardized mall will look like, or how these Chinese brands will translate into our North American culture. Even the proposed name is, well, quite ugly sounding in my opinion. I hope we are pleasantly surprised by the result, and it doesn't turn out to be an outlet mall full of really cheap pleather crap from China. Asian countries have proven that they ARE capable of producing quality goods. Consider the auto industry, where they actually led a revolution in terms of quality and innovation. We have to get off this "Made in America" kick, and start looking at our economy as it truly is today: a GLOBAL economy. There is nothing unpatriotic about that. It's just the way it is. I am proud to be an American, but I think we've become arrogant as a nation. We had better adapt to forming synergies with other nations.
Heidi

Dendermonde, Belgium

#10 Dec 31, 2009
"how these Chinese brands will translate into our North American culture"
....I bet your entire outfit was made in China as well as the majority of items in your home.
Chinaless

Frisco, TX

#11 Dec 31, 2009
Great, so now they will be bringing in a mall-full of the low quality, toxic, chintzy, and undesireable crap. I certainly won't be shopping there.
hmmm

West Bend, WI

#12 Dec 31, 2009
people dont want to buy from china as it is, why bring a whole mall that revolves around chinese made products here? great for the economy and jobs but ....
Ticked off AMERICAN

Milwaukee, WI

#13 Dec 31, 2009
What about AMERICA??????? Don't support China!!!
Cory

United States

#14 Dec 31, 2009
Heidi from "Belgium", what exactly is your issue with me? Hey people, remember when Korean car company called Hyundai entered our market with a nasty line of cheaply made cars a couple decades ago? Guess what, that same company is now producing the same car that won North American Car of the Year. Things change. To think that products made domestically are so superior to Chinese goods is both naive and arrogant. The US might find itself in a position where the shoe is on the other foot. China may start producing goods that surpass our standards.Then we may have to step up our production methods and work ethic. And" what about America"? Well, what about it. Ever heard of tariffs? Your legislators have. It is what is used to level playing fields. Like the 30% tariff currently imposed on tires that come from China, because they were eating into our market too much and US tire factories were going out of business.

But here's a novel concept: why don't we find ways to improve our production methods to rival our competitors. And instead of getting pissed at China because of our own overly apparent shortcomings, why don't we produce goods that can be EXPORTED at a fair price. Again, it is a GLOBAL economy now. The party is over. The markets are "efficient" and will respond accordingly. If you don't know what that last sentence means, do some research and educate yourself. But don't hide behind fear and pseudo-patriotism.
Timmy

Kingsland, GA

#15 Dec 31, 2009
Gerald wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. People love to support "Made in America," yet the same people are shopping at Wal-Mart and other retail-box stores. Also, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE an empty mall, standing there being an eyesore RATHER than having an investor trying to do something with it. Then again, you're in Oak Creek, so you don't really need to travel all the way up here to shop or look at the eyesore.
My ISP is in Oak Creek, smart @zz; and since when is the airport in Oak Creek?
Timmy

Kingsland, GA

#16 Dec 31, 2009
Cory wrote:
Heidi from "Belgium", what exactly is your issue with me? Hey people, remember when Korean car company called Hyundai entered our market with a nasty line of cheaply made cars a couple decades ago? Guess what, that same company is now producing the same car that won North American Car of the Year. Things change. To think that products made domestically are so superior to Chinese goods is both naive and arrogant. The US might find itself in a position where the shoe is on the other foot. China may start producing goods that surpass our standards.Then we may have to step up our production methods and work ethic. And" what about America"? Well, what about it. Ever heard of tariffs? Your legislators have. It is what is used to level playing fields. Like the 30% tariff currently imposed on tires that come from China, because they were eating into our market too much and US tire factories were going out of business.
But here's a novel concept: why don't we find ways to improve our production methods to rival our competitors. And instead of getting **** at China because of our own overly apparent shortcomings, why don't we produce goods that can be EXPORTED at a fair price. Again, it is a GLOBAL economy now. The party is over. The markets are "efficient" and will respond accordingly. If you don't know what that last sentence means, do some research and educate yourself. But don't hide behind fear and pseudo-patriotism.
Yeah, things change alright! China already OWNS this country. Pretty soon we will be eating noodles and rice for every meal of every day, and riding our bicycles to work (if we can afford one) and making 16 cents-an-hour...just like the Chineese. Go to Mexico once and TRY to find something made in China. Maybe if we started making something HERE, I would have a JOB!
Timmy

Kingsland, GA

#17 Dec 31, 2009
Cory wrote:
I can't imagine what this bastardized mall will look like, or how these Chinese brands will translate into our North American culture. Even the proposed name is, well, quite ugly sounding in my opinion. I hope we are pleasantly surprised by the result, and it doesn't turn out to be an outlet mall full of really cheap pleather crap from China. Asian countries have proven that they ARE capable of producing quality goods. Consider the auto industry, where they actually led a revolution in terms of quality and innovation. We have to get off this "Made in America" kick, and start looking at our economy as it truly is today: a GLOBAL economy. There is nothing unpatriotic about that. It's just the way it is. I am proud to be an American, but I think we've become arrogant as a nation. We had better adapt to forming synergies with other nations.
Did you learn how to think like that in college? I'll bet you did. Seems like colleges brainwash evrybody into thinking like the last part of your statement. Oh, and when you make a statement and the say "but", that negates the validity of the statement, as in, "I am proud to be an American, but"
Ha Ha

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Dec 31, 2009
So in other words...Walmart..lol
Cory

United States

#19 Dec 31, 2009
Timmy, let me put it to you another way then: I am proud to be an American. That being said, we have become arrogant as a nation.

The conjunction "but" does not negate a sentence, as you inaccurately posit. It connects two trains of thought.

In reference to your other comments, I would say that it wouldn't hurt some people to have their brains washed; at the very least dry cleaned. And yes, I did go to college. I put myself through college by opening a business at age 18, and came out with no student loans. So don't give me any of your "victim" crap.

If you are truly looking for a job, I can put you in touch with one of my friends that owns a placement agency. Only 20% of all jobs are actually advertised. I will help you, if you are willing to trade in your victim mentality for a decent work ethic.
Armando

Port Washington, WI

#20 Dec 31, 2009
It is obvious that there are some vastly different view points on this situation. The point of the matter is that this opportunity is going to create jobs for Milwaukeans, no matter what. There is no way that Chinese people are going to be the only people employed by this venture so it will help. Are Japanese the only people working at Toyota? Koreans the only people working at Hyundai?(One of which I own and it has more value, is less expensive and has a better warranty than any American car). The point is that just because an enterprise is foreign owned, that does not ALL products are made there and that they won't create jobs. As far as the banter Timmy and Cory have, they both have valid points, but I don't think there is a solid answer for the economic peril we are in now. I think America has put itself out of business by not buying American products, but also by manufacturers not making products that are as cheap as or of the same quality of our competitors. After all, is not the American way one of competition, money making and saving a buck? There it is. The "American Way" tore us up and it may not ever be fixed. Flat out, the cheaper way to live is always going to be dependent on another country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milwaukee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man eating lizard loose in Milwaukee Aug 17 Mary 2
Why Are The Chi Lites Daughter's HiddingTrust F... Aug 14 reply 2
News NNS reporter arrested after taking photos of po... Aug 13 Ralph 1
Sheriff's deputy may be involved in human traff... Aug 13 Ralph 1
News Republicans question Mitchell's work, salary as... Aug 9 BHM5267 1
outdoor fire pits (Jul '07) Aug 9 Steven 11
Milwaukee out of control (Oct '17) Aug 9 Steven 24

Milwaukee Jobs

Personal Finance

Milwaukee Mortgages