Robert E. Lee: Remembering an America...

Robert E. Lee: Remembering an American Legend

There are 17 comments on the Free Republic story from Jan 4, 2012, titled Robert E. Lee: Remembering an American Legend. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Thursday, January 19, 2012, is the 205th birthday of General Robert E. Lee, whose memory is still dear in the hearts of people everywhere.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Lee

Bryans Road, MD

#1 Jan 8, 2012
How wonderful it would be if all men followed the example set by Marse Robert.
NUTS

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 10, 2012
Ever time i take a crap.
Wild Card

Lincolnton, NC

#3 Jan 12, 2012
Robert E lee "The Christian General".

The liberals, nixxers, damn yankees etc try over and over to destroy Southern Hertiage and culture. Ain't going to happen!!! God Bless the South!!!
Guy Fawkes

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 13, 2012
There is no end to a list of things wrong in the south, even now. Of course you can't blame a southerner, ignorance is bliss.
mr fantastic

Franklin, TN

#5 Jan 13, 2012
Guy Fawkes wrote:
There is no end to a list of things wrong in the south, even now. Of course you can't blame a southerner, ignorance is bliss.
I see that you post from the south, dummass. How long is the list of your problems?
Walter Ring

Chesterfield, VA

#6 Jan 14, 2012
Guy Fawkes Quote:
"There is no end to a list of things wrong in the south, even now. Of course you can't blame a southerner, ignorance is bliss."

One thing wrong with the South is that we Southerners allow the likes of trash like this twit to steal our oxygen. Hey, Gay, if you don't like it here, you are more than welcome to move north. In fact, please do so now. The IQ will go up in both regions.
Earle

Petersburg, VA

#7 Jan 17, 2012
Those ignorant people, who obviously don't know American history, must not realize that Lee was a well respected hero to many, many people in the years after the War. People both in the north and in the south thought a lot of him.
Perhaps some of the blame for the lack of knowledge lies with Educ Dept in Richmond. It's a shame schools are so focused on getting students to pass the SOL tests, that the teachers only have time to teach to the test. The curriculum doesn't (allow for time to)go into depth, and many facts are glossed over or ignored. The tests are a bit like Jeopardy game show. But that is a different topic
the system is trash

Farmville, VA

#10 Jan 21, 2012
YOU LOST STUPID! Yes the south lives on with backwards inbreeds whose family tree is now a wreath. Yes, dear inbreed, hold on to your proud incestuous heritage.
Wild Card wrote:
Robert E lee "The Christian General".
The liberals, nixxers,**** yankees etc try over and over to destroy Southern Hertiage and culture. Ain't going to happen!!! God Bless the South!!!
Peckerhead

Eagle Rock, VA

#11 Jan 22, 2012
Ho Hum Crap, all you people do is use this post to bitch at each other. Say something that means something.
shadow blade

Franklin, TN

#13 Jan 22, 2012
the system is trash wrote:
YOU LOST STUPID! Yes the south lives on with backwards inbreeds whose family tree is now a wreath. Yes, dear inbreed, hold on to your proud incestuous heritage.
<quoted text>
Regardless of what some backward, inbred, racist idiots from this part of the country want to post we ain't all like that. For the most part we're well educated, tolerant, and still have all of our teeth. You have no right to poke fun of our heritage and in doing so make yourself sound as bad as those you're making fun of. Before you make even more a damn fool of yourself think before you start running your mouth. Robert E. Lee was a great man who followed his beliefs and had the courage to fight for his convictions. Could you say the same?
Old Sam

Sierra Vista, AZ

#14 Jan 23, 2012
Robert E. Lee was an excellent general. There are
many other excellent generals throughout American
history. Why should this one particular excellent
general be singled out for continued adulation in
relation to "Southern heritage" etc. etc., which
included great wealth built on the basis of human
bondage? This is 2011 and the world is vastly
different than in the mid 19th century....And name
calling and insults by commenters from all points of view certainly does not indicate tolerance and
open minded discussion.

I grew up in Charlottesville and graduated from
U.Va. I'm tired of hearing the same old "Southern
heritage" comments over and over again. Don't
some folks have anything better to do with their
time than continually look backwards?
Wondering

Covington, VA

#15 Apr 17, 2012
He is fondly remembered as much for his post-war contributions as is is for his efforts during the war. After the war, he probably did more than anyone to help bring the country back together. In his farewell address to his troops, he urged them to go home and become as good citizens as they had been soldiers.
yankeedoodle

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Apr 18, 2012
Walter Ring wrote:
Guy Fawkes Quote:
"There is no end to a list of things wrong in the south, even now. Of course you can't blame a southerner, ignorance is bliss."
One thing wrong with the South is that we Southerners allow the likes of trash like this twit to steal our oxygen. Hey, Gay, if you don't like it here, you are more than welcome to move north. In fact, please do so now. The IQ will go up in both regions.
Not until I impregnate as many southern women as I can to breed out as many red necks as I can.
Lee

Bryans Road, MD

#17 May 5, 2012
yankeedoodle has a little noodle, lol.
Lee

Bryans Road, MD

#18 May 5, 2012
Old Sam wrote:
Robert E. Lee was an excellent general. There are
many other excellent generals throughout American
history. Why should this one particular excellent
general be singled out for continued adulation in
relation to "Southern heritage" etc. etc., which
included great wealth built on the basis of human
bondage? This is 2011 and the world is vastly
different than in the mid 19th century....And name
calling and insults by commenters from all points of view certainly does not indicate tolerance and
open minded discussion.
I grew up in Charlottesville and graduated from
U.Va. I'm tired of hearing the same old "Southern
heritage" comments over and over again. Don't
some folks have anything better to do with their
time than continually look backwards?
You must know where you have been to know where you are going.
JD in VA

Penn Laird, VA

#19 May 5, 2012
Well, this story drew pretty much the response I expected....
purevil

Charlottesville, VA

#20 May 5, 2012
the system is trash wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang I took a pain pill and you made me laugh so hard the pains back!

Plenty of memorials where they got there aszes kicked too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States Military Academy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Classic Party Rentals Announces Appointment of ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 babacat 1
News Double Standards (Sep '14) Sep '14 sava 3
News Serbia marks anniversary of first Allied victor... (Aug '13) Jul '14 NezavisnaRepublik... 382
News Remarks of President Barack Obama, Graduation C... (May '14) May '14 foster 3
News Distiguished gentleman (Feb '14) Feb '14 eward winter 1
News Memorial Day services planned for Polk County (May '13) Jun '13 WhoDat 9
News The Nigerian Defence Academy - A Pioneer Cadet'... (Nov '12) Feb '13 Adjaino Innocent 3
More from around the web