Students Seek Service Academies

Dec 22, 2008 Full story: KRDO 9

The competition for admission into the Air Force Academy and the other four U.S. service academies is so stiff, no more than five of the 108 area students who applied this year, will get in.

Full Story
AntiFlag

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Dec 22, 2008
Who would kids want to become slaves for the rest of their lives?

Since: Mar 08

O Fallon, IL

#2 Dec 29, 2008
AntiFlag wrote:
Who would kids want to become slaves for the rest of their lives?
The only difference between you and a bucket of horse manure is the bucket. Get a clue and a life loser.
AntiFlag

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Dec 30, 2008
I see you have no response to my claim that the service is little more than slavery. I win.

O Fallon, IL

#4 Dec 30, 2008
I do have a response and have responded numerous times which you've ignored. ALL service members VOLUNTARILY walk into a recruiter's office. They then VOLUNTARILY choose to sign a contract IF they decide to join. In return for signing the contract, they are compensated with basic pay, either a housing allowance or a place to live, food allowances, GI Bill, tuition assistance, commissary privileges, and a lifetime of VA benefits. BEFORE voluntarily signing this contract, all recruits have a chance to ask questions and find out exactly what term they're signing up for and what pay they'll receive.

Slavery, on the other hand is INVOLUNTARY and UNcompensated. So, you're really comparing apples to oranges, aren't you.

I see you STILL have NO response to my question about why you expend time and energy posting your negativity on every board relating to military service. I guess now I win.
AnitFlag

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Dec 30, 2008
An 18 year old, pressured by a lying recruiter is not "volunteering". Being kept past your ETS date is not "volunteering." Being unable to quit at any time is not "volunteering."

Are you certain you're a natvie speaker of English?

O Fallon, IL

#6 Dec 30, 2008
AnitFlag wrote:
An 18 year old, pressured by a lying recruiter is not "volunteering". Being kept past your ETS date is not "volunteering." Being unable to quit at any time is not "volunteering."
Are you certain you're a natvie speaker of English?
An 18 year old is an adult, right. If an 18 year old adult is pressured into signing a contract with an auto loan company, a martial arts school, etc. and doesn't read the contract BEFORE signing it, that's naive and foolish on that 18 year old's part. He or she is an adult, legally allowed to marry, vote, buy property, drive a car, and enter VOLUNTARILY into contracts. Also, nearly all enlistees know what they're doing when they walk into the recruiter's office. Recruiters don't go to people's homes and pressure them. They may set up tables at schools and talk to people who walk up to their tables, and they certainly talk to anyone who makes a conscious act to VOLUNTARILY walk into a recruiting office and ask about enlisting in the military. The days of the military draft ended almost 40 years ago.

The vast majority of enlistees aren't held past their ETS. Some are, but only for a couple of months and they're still paid during that time.

As for the service academies, EVERY entrant to a service academy gets their schooling for FREE for the first two years and incurs absolutely NO service commitment whatsoever until they set foot in class on Day 1 of their junior year.

Here's a definition of Slavery from Dictionary.com :

//////////
slavery
noun
1. the state of being under the control of another person [syn: bondage]
2. the practice of owning slaves
3. work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay
//////////

I'll assume you have the mental capacity to read that very clear concise English definition and comprehend it, though that's obviously a very large assumption on my part.
AntiFlag

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Dec 31, 2008
Delphinus 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
An 18 year old is an adult, right. If an 18 year old adult is pressured into signing a contract with an auto loan company, a martial arts school, etc. and doesn't read the contract BEFORE signing it, that's naive and foolish on that 18 year old's part. He or she is an adult, legally allowed to marry, vote, buy property, drive a car, and enter VOLUNTARILY into contracts. Also, nearly all enlistees know what they're doing when they walk into the recruiter's office. Recruiters don't go to people's homes and pressure them. They may set up tables at schools and talk to people who walk up to their tables, and they certainly talk to anyone who makes a conscious act to VOLUNTARILY walk into a recruiting office and ask about enlisting in the military. The days of the military draft ended almost 40 years ago.
The vast majority of enlistees aren't held past their ETS. Some are, but only for a couple of months and they're still paid during that time.
As for the service academies, EVERY entrant to a service academy gets their schooling for FREE for the first two years and incurs absolutely NO service commitment whatsoever until they set foot in class on Day 1 of their junior year.
Here's a definition of Slavery from Dictionary.com :
//////////
slavery
noun
1. the state of being under the control of another person [syn: bondage]
2. the practice of owning slaves
3. work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay
//////////
I'll assume you have the mental capacity to read that very clear concise English definition and comprehend it, though that's obviously a very large assumption on my part.
Wrong. An 18 y/o is not an adult. An 18 y/o does not have the right to drink in the majority of states. Recruiters pressure children into signing contracts. Any other contract carries with it a three day cancellation period. If a kid actually had a lawyer read the contract, he'd never in hell sign it.

O Fallon, IL

#8 Dec 31, 2008
AntiFlag wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. An 18 y/o is not an adult. An 18 y/o does not have the right to drink in the majority of states. Recruiters pressure children into signing contracts. Any other contract carries with it a three day cancellation period. If a kid actually had a lawyer read the contract, he'd never in hell sign it.
An 18 year old isn't an adult!?!? What country do you live in? I have to wonder if you don't intentionally try to be so dead wrong for shock effect.

It is a travesty that a person is a legal adult who can marry, vote, own real estate, fight and die for their country, and legally enter contracts, but isn't allowed to consume an alcoholic beverage.
ObamastheMAN

Lexington, KY

#9 Jan 1, 2009
18 year olds cannot drink in most states. They are not full legal adults. They are easily duped into signing their lives away. The minimum age for military should be 21. Of course that would hurt recruiting since most kids wise up by the time they're 21. Recruiters are really just a type of child molester.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peterson Air Force Base Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fort Carson soldiers train to stay healthy whil... Nov '14 Scorned 8
What the US military wants for missile defence:... Sep '14 Pear 1
5 things to know about tracking... (Dec '13) Jan '14 Big Time 2
GOP constituents also depend on jobless aid (Jan '14) Jan '14 Go Blue Forever 14
Workers still trying to excavate underground Ch... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Tom 1
3 arrested in international Navy bribery scheme (Sep '13) Sep '13 Capt America 8
School & Other Closings (Sep '13) Sep '13 Babs 1
More from around the web