Barry Strickland's lawyer speaks out about Officer McGary case

Feb 11, 2013 Full story: KTHV-TV Little Rock 22

For the first time, THV 11 is hearing from the other side in the case involving a Conway police officer recently killed in the line of duty.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
citizen

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Feb 12, 2013
Rumor has it Barry's fresh out from war & has issues & nobody would help him get the counseling he needs, and he turned to drinking to help with the pain. It's a shame our country & our president doesn't have more concern for our soldiers than what they do & it's an embarrassment! There should be no questions asked when our soldiers come home they should have immediate physical & mental care! This entire thing could have been avoided if he would have possibly gotten the proper care! The officers wife,children,parents, & other family & friends would still have their loved one!!!! I know there should be punishment for his actions he needs professional help not prison for the rest of his life!
roughneck

Oklahoma City, OK

#2 Feb 12, 2013
I totally agree
citizen

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Feb 12, 2013
roughneck wrote:
I totally agree
I don't understand where our countries morals have gone!! Be in prayer for all of the Strickland family please! Breaks my heart how we don't take care of our soldiers!
bk girl

Palestine, TX

#4 Feb 12, 2013
He wasn't fresh out of war. He's been out 8 yrs. He knew what he was doing with those pills because he talked about it on his twitter account that day. He wanted to get high off of them and he did. Now he's going to have to pay. He isn't the victim here. He's a man and should take responsibility for his own actions. He took the pills to get high and then he chose to drive after going taking an undisclosed amount of those pills. Just my 2 cents.
citizen

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Feb 12, 2013
bk girl wrote:
He wasn't fresh out of war. He's been out 8 yrs. He knew what he was doing with those pills because he talked about it on his twitter account that day. He wanted to get high off of them and he did. Now he's going to have to pay. He isn't the victim here. He's a man and should take responsibility for his own actions. He took the pills to get high and then he chose to drive after going taking an undisclosed amount of those pills. Just my 2 cents.
wow had no idea! Sure didn't know it had been 8 years!!!!! I was told 6 months!!!!
baldknobian

Jacksonville, AR

#6 Feb 12, 2013
Ur two cents.... My two cents....
His twitter post was not from the same day..
It doesn't matter if he was out 8yr, 8months, 18 years... He still served OUR country in very traumatic situations.
It is a tragedy for both families involved. Why don't we stop speculating.
nancy

Jacksonville, AR

#7 Feb 12, 2013
Citizen & BK Girl you are both right. My best friend is military and has done 3 tours over seas. He's been back abt 2 1/2 months this time and he had changed. He tried the VA and other places (that his military insurance would approve) for 'mental' help. But to no avail. Finally he decided just to seek assistance on his own & pay out of pocket for the doctor. They prescribed him meds & he is doing a lot better & coping much better now. But he doesn't abuse the meds. He takes them as prescribed...no more than that. Barry probably has experienced PTSD & probably did need meds to help. But HE chose to abuse the meds & take more than prescribed. HE chose to dive after taking the meds knowing full well that they cause drowsiness. And HE supposedly twitted a pic of a handful of pills discussing how to get high. I have he utmost respect for him for fighting for our country. But in the same breath I say that I have very little respect bc of his actions. I pray for his family and the McGary family. Both are having a rough time.
bk girl

Palestine, TX

#8 Feb 12, 2013
Jan. 31 was the day he posted it and Jan. 31 was the day he ran over the officer, so yes , I know what I am talking about. It is tragic but he still made the choice to get "higher than a church steeple" (words of Barry).
nancy

Jacksonville, AR

#9 Feb 12, 2013
bk girl wrote:
Jan. 31 was the day he posted it and Jan. 31 was the day he ran over the officer, so yes , I know what I am talking about. It is tragic but he still made the choice to get "higher than a church steeple" (words of Barry).
I didn't follow him on tweeter but he was on my FB friends list. So I didn't see the tweet but I had read previous status posts talking abt getting wasted & such. I have heard from several different ppl who do follow him to twitter abt the pic & the tweet. When that many ppl have the same story then usually there is some thread of truth to it. And that one tweet is what is going to hurt his case more than anything, assuming the prosecutor can admit it into evidence. And yes...HE made a choice to take the pills & drive under he influence. And his choice killed an innocent person, for which he will have to pay the rest of his life for.
citizen

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Feb 12, 2013
nancy wrote:
Citizen & BK Girl you are both right. My best friend is military and has done 3 tours over seas. He's been back abt 2 1/2 months this time and he had changed. He tried the VA and other places (that his military insurance would approve) for 'mental' help. But to no avail. Finally he decided just to seek assistance on his own & pay out of pocket for the doctor. They prescribed him meds & he is doing a lot better & coping much better now. But he doesn't abuse the meds. He takes them as prescribed...no more than that. Barry probably has experienced PTSD & probably did need meds to help. But HE chose to abuse the meds & take more than prescribed. HE chose to dive after taking the meds knowing full well that they cause drowsiness. And HE supposedly twitted a pic of a handful of pills discussing how to get high. I have he utmost respect for him for fighting for our country. But in the same breath I say that I have very little respect bc of his actions. I pray for his family and the McGary family. Both are having a rough time.
I totally agree!
Sad

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Feb 12, 2013
Grown men have to take responsibility for their actions.
wondering

Dallas, TX

#12 Feb 12, 2013
The military gives every person counseling when they come back from war IF they want it. They can not force it upon person so no matter if he served or not he was in the wrong.

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Feb 12, 2013
Celebrated War Hero!!! Really??? Lol
Voice of reason

Half Way, MO

#14 Feb 12, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/BarryStricklan2 . Here is a link to his Twitter account. The pills you will see if you look at the Tweet from the day that he killed the young police officer are 1 mg Clonazepam. There are 50 pills there. He was asking if anybody wanted to get as high as a church "steepal".
Sad

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Feb 13, 2013
Yes I think the word " hero" is used too loosely here. Being in the Guard and being deployed does not make one a hero. Pretty lame defense.
doog

United States

#16 Feb 13, 2013
Sad wrote:
Yes I think the word " hero" is used too loosely here. Being in the Guard and being deployed does not make one a hero. Pretty lame defense.
So serving your country, taking on fire, getting injured to save lives isn't a hero??? Do you need super man???? Or Wonder Woman???? I think you are a little loose there....
Sad

Oklahoma City, OK

#17 Feb 13, 2013
So you know for a fact he risked his life to save other lives while deployed?
doog

United States

#18 Feb 13, 2013
Sad wrote:
So you know for a fact he risked his life to save other lives while deployed?
Yes I'd say I do.
shan

Sherwood, AR

#19 Feb 14, 2013
Yes Barry has served 2 tours over seas. And yes I am very grateful for his service to our country. But I agree that the term 'hero' is being thrown around a little to loosely. This article doesn't discuss the extent of Michael's injuries, they were pretty severe. This is a war HERO.....

The rocket propelled grenade that peeled through the armor of Lt. Michael McCarty’s humvee Nov. 20, 2004, was the beginning of a day he describes as hell.
The armor-piercing munition exploded in the vehicle, slicing through the gut of radio operator Spc. Jereme Coker and legs of the gunner. Now, more than a year later, the wounds have become scars. A speck of gray metal remains lodged beneath the skin of McCarty’s left ear, a reminder of that day.

In the moments after the explosion, McCarty maneuvered his platoon to take on a massive enemy force and stopped a three-man machine gun team. It was the worst day Charlie Company, 3 rd Battalion of Arkansas’ 39 th Infantry Brigade faced during the Brigade’s year in Baghdad, Iraq.

Moments after the heavy medal was pinned to his chest, McCarty’s twin brother Pat — a sniper with the brigade — wrapped his arms around him. Michael McCarty then turned around and hugged Maj. Jon Stubbs, the McCarty brothers ’ company commander in Iraq.

McCarty then stood briefly at the podium and addressed the crowd.

“Thanks a lot,” he said to his fellow soldiers, amid a standing ovation and whistles of support.“But there were 25 other heroes that day.”
McCarty believes the award belongs to his entire platoon, the men who fought beside him that day.
"I hate awards, because only one person gets it and it was a group effort,” he said.“I wish I could give it to some people who deserve it more than I do.“I argued when we were in Kuwait [preparing to return home] that I should not be the only one recommended for the award,” he said.“But I was told I was the leader. But you know what? When lead starts flying both directions, nobody’s the leader. Everyone just does what they’re supposed to do.”
Sad

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Feb 14, 2013
I saw on his Twitter that he was asking if anyone was interested in some pills because "being 3 years in Iraq dr. straight hook me up wit". So he was in Iraq for 3 years? Why so much longer than the rest of his unit?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US National Guard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'She touched so many lives' Dec 19 GoPerry 1
Dem Missouri Gov Protected Ferguson Looters Not... Dec 8 USA Today 1
No Image Nov '14 Idiot Becomes Pre... 1
Arrest made in slayings of California family Nov '14 Zeppelin 5
Celebrity Chef Gets a Surprise in Frankfort (Apr '09) Oct '14 Lucy 5
W.Va. National Guard unit heads home (Jan '10) Oct '14 Good Citizen 124
Perry criticizes Mexico's effort to secure border Sep '14 Guess Who 14
More from around the web