Battle stress may lead to misconduct

Battle stress may lead to misconduct

There are 19 comments on the USA Today story from Jul 1, 2007, titled Battle stress may lead to misconduct. In it, USA Today reports that:

Battle stress may cause combat-hardened Marines with clean records to get into trouble after they return home, according to new Marine Corps research.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

Scott A Smith

San Diego, CA

#1 Jul 18, 2007
Cody Miranda was not just "a" Marine. Staff Sgt. Cody Miranda was a member of the elite Marine unit First Force Recon. In the articles about Cody, a hero and a great man, there is no comentary,(as he said there would not be) about the secret missions and trips behind foriegn lines (neither hostile nor friendly; however guess what happens if he or any of his buddies, which I am tempted to list were caught?). Cody tried to de-compress upon his returns to San Diego. I myself connected Cody with a job he was well suited for. Unfortunately after being convinced that nothing is important to anyone, except the mission, including life or death, Cody could not grasp any "other" kind of structure. Who are these people (his employers) to tell him what to do and how to do it? Cody was given full control of a battlfielfd. He called in fire missions at will. He called in for extraction or for re-inforcements. His job, was not to be seen or heard and clearly he achieved this on every mission. Cody is not a "Private" in the U.S. Marine Corps. He is the best of the best. He is what "Tom Cruise" tries to portray. He is what "Sylvester Stalone" thinks he is; A hero. But Cody does not profess any of this. He only looks toward the people that molded him for some kind of guidance. Does he get that? No. They say Cody was caught with cocaine. First and foremost, one can search the records, and one will find that two Navy Seal Teams (allegedely more elite than First Force...hardly, and they know it too) tested positive for cocaine use at that same time. Were they sent to the "wounded bird" squadron? No, they were given "re-up" bonuses with all charges dropped. Why? Because the upper echelons of the military buy into the Seals elitisim and a war was underway. I am sorry, Cody was training these new elite "First Force Marines" while he was allegedly "on cocain, not sleeping, expereincing PTSD and ask anybody out there, who was the best soldier everyday? Who threw those kids out of helicopters and made sure none were hurt? Who could pick the ones that would make it and the ones that would not? Staff Sgt. Cody Miranda, "Dual Cool" Miranda was and is elite. He was an unbeleivable asset to our country just like the men who fought and died in WWII and STILL lay on the beaches of Normandy. "Private Miranda".....You are dismissed!
Alberto Ortiz

Auburn Hills, MI

#2 Jul 18, 2007
I was a paratrooper when I left the service after 6yrs. I thought I was the best. I found it hard to deal with incompintent managers in the Chicago, P.O. When the P.O. killing started in February of 87, I thought of killing my postal managers, but after 2 weeks of thinking, I decided to resign. February the 23, 1987 was the date. I knew something was wrong with the system, becuase I went to several government agencies and nothing happened. After several years of writing Senator Paul Simon, I started to understand no one gave a F--K! No one still don't; there are a few indivdaul that do, but they can either offer so advice or show you the ropes on the job. As far as organizations, to me most are a joke! Sure they have a few shining exsamples, but your soon tosted to the side. So if you go in the service and you want guts and glory, be like Cody, other wise go to supply and be a REMF and get the same benifits and more likely less pay! Why do you think they think he's a dumb ass? He's taken the abuse! This is sad, but I found it true. Airborne!!!
Frank 21

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Jul 19, 2007
Battle Stress can lead to many things which can be detrimental to Our Military. Suicide, Divorce among others.

Tours in Iraq have been increased to 15 Months.
This is criminal when you consider how much time the President and Congress spend on vacation every year and refuse to increase the amount of time between rotations for Our Military who are being asked to make the Ultimate Sacrifice!!!
Do you know that truth

Oceanside, CA

#6 Jul 26, 2007
Do you really think you know the Truth about Private Cody Miranda. Well think again. He did what he did no one else. He did things over and over again without as you say thinking. He is the one who and still is getting into trouble that is why he is a Private. He may be a hero to some but to others he is a problem. You can have your opinion but know everything before you say things like the best of the best. He is far from that.
you are a fool

Baltimore, MD

#7 Jul 28, 2007
Do you know that truth wrote:
Do you really think you know the Truth about Private Cody Miranda. Well think again. He did what he did no one else. He did things over and over again without as you say thinking. He is the one who and still is getting into trouble that is why he is a Private. He may be a hero to some but to others he is a problem. You can have your opinion but know everything before you say things like the best of the best. He is far from that.

you are a fool and must either be a mad lover or Engersol, because you have no idea what you are talking about.
Do you know that truth

Oceanside, CA

#8 Jul 30, 2007
No i do know what i am talking about. And its not Engersol, its Ingersoll. So guess again. I bet this is Cody himself, if you didnt get in trouble prior to joining, and in 1997 when you were in the MC, also UA, other charges we wont say online and still today. So just keep blaming everyone else for your problems and not take responsibility for yourself. There are true Marines out there that dont deserve what you are representing. Maybe you were are amazing Marine at one time, but you are not today.
JES

Big Bear Lake, CA

#9 Aug 4, 2007
I am appalled at the ignorance of "Do you know the truth". Are you an Ingersoll puppet? I have know Cody for years, before he even joined the MC. I have seen his medals, awards and commendations which included four Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals. He IS a hero. I have seen the toll that repeated deployments, time away from his family, and ignorance within the military has taken on him.
Yes, he's made some mistakes, but what "do you know" fails to consider is WHY. His life has been the MC for years. He has repeatedly put his country and the Marines before everything else in his life. His recent problems have been interpreted to be a discipline problem and a character weakness. He needs help, not judgment by pathetic wanna-be's. He has been a hero for years, now he is a troubled man that needs and deserves help. How sad that a man that has sacrificed everything for his country, now, when he needs his country, has turned her back on him. The opinions expressed by "Do you know" perpetuates the ignorance that hundreds, thousands are striving to overcome. This situation is not exclusive to Cody. Thousands of soldiers are struggling with PTSD and TBI (traumatic brain injury) each day. They are all heroes, and they all need our help.
Wake up "do you know". You are part of the problem.
Opinions are allowed

Oceanside, CA

#10 Aug 6, 2007
You are allowed your opinion that is what we have our fellow Soldiers fighting for. I have seen men come back with PTSD, not saying that he doesnt have it he might but thats not the only thing that is his problem. CAN WE SAY DRINKING. But I was responding to prior comments that said he wasnt getting treatment, if you get a chance, since you said that your have known him for so long look at his medical, its like 12 inches thick. He is getting treatment, His command is trying to get him the help they have overlooked alot more issues than the public knows (recent dui) and they try to keep him on his medication, but he is not following the rules. When it says do not drink, dont drink. You say you know him then help him. There are some out there that dont have support that dont have family and friends they need the attention. I do understand that he has been through alot, but he isnt the only one. And his actions are just that his. We cant go blaming the military for everything, we need to own up to our mistakes and get help when offered. If the military is to blame then fine, but not always. No one has turned their backs except him. Now when so many say they dont get the help look at prior wars, who do you think didnt get the help and who had the country turn their back on them. So good for your opinion but everyone is entitled to one, that our freedom. Good luck helping your friend.
Mike Adams

Enid, OK

#11 Oct 10, 2007
I had the privilege of working with Cody Miranda on occasion in 1995-1999. He was the best Marine I had ever met. We were both sergeants, he in Recon and I in the infantry. He was strong, couragous, and one of the best friends I ever had. I can only imagine the things Cody had to do while deployed, but I am sure he did those things extremely well. I am sad to hear of what has happened to him. I just happened to stumble across these articles on the internet today. I can't believe that anyone can oust him because of how he handled things when he got back without knowing what he went through while he was over there. Cody, if you read this, I still consider you a great friend. If there is anything I can ever do to help, please call me. I live in Enid, Oklahoma now. My e-mail address is [email protected] If anyone out there knows how to get a hold of Cody, please let me know.
The Real Truth Is

Newalla, OK

#12 Jan 23, 2008
To: "Do You Know?" The real truth is you sound more like an Al-Qaida sympathizer than a true American! I can only imagine what a person, who has gone over there that many times, and seen and done the things Cody Miranda has had to do,... well that person cannot possibly come home without deep emotional scars. Perhaps the drinking is part of the forgetting. I say, him and anyone else that is trained to do the unspeakable deserves more than a medal! You sound like you are brainwashed!
BIG PAYBACK

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2008
Battle stress can lead to a reaction towards some trigger. The key is we need to identify each individual's trigger.
Thad Wasson

Rapid City, SD

#14 Jan 30, 2008
I served with Cody Miranda in Hawaii during the spring of 1993. We competed in the super squad competition, I was impressed with his desire then. I'm sorry for the trouble he is in now.
Cody Miranda

Kailua, HI

#15 Feb 3, 2008
This is Cody Miranda.. I thank those who speak in my defense..Yes,I did lose something, somewhere.. My bigest regret is to my family and my Recon commrads.. I never ment for things to be like this. I wont critisize the coward who wrote the negative about me..(yes, a man who has never deployed.)That might classify as criticisim. Im back whether people like it or not... To my ex-buddies out there... Dont worry I have your back, like I had yours..
Cody
Cody Miranda

Kailua, HI

#16 Feb 3, 2008
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.. Most of the charges things written are not completly true.. I have been found guilty of UA,Fratiniseation and the redicules charg of Drunk in Public.. Col Ingersonl is one disturbed man.. The funny part is you have never talked to me... Coward.. For those who support him, pick your side..
ANONYMOUS

Perris, CA

#17 Feb 13, 2008
I know this "exceptional marine" personally and he has been a raging alcoholic since at least 1998 - before the war....and has had difficulty getting to work sober, let alone on time and with efficiency. And Cody - you went on Westpac, spent some time in Okinawa, and sat in a 5-star hotel in Bahrain during the war.....when were in Iraq on land? You were UA diring this deployment cycle. And what exactly did you do with Force Recon? Train? Isn't PTSD related to stresses brought upon by something that isn't self-inflicted? Drinking binges and popping positive for cocaine and then blaming the war seems a little like an excuse.
Charlie Mike

La Jolla, CA

#18 May 11, 2008
Cody Miranda has been diagnosed with TBI (traumatic brain injury)(as well as the PTST, etc.). He is currently back in the hospital and has been denied further treatment. I don't know who this Butt in Riverside is and I take not that he/she hasn't signed a name. Well, it's men and women in uniform who have served and defended this great nation of our for you to share the air we breath... FREE air. Send me an e-mail and I will take you to Cody and provide you with the opportunity to tell him to his face this crap you keep writing. Step-up-to-the-plate... show your face!
Charlie Mike

La Jolla, CA

#19 May 11, 2008
Cody Miranda has been diagnosed with TBI (traumatic brain injury)(as well as the PTST, etc.). He is currently back in the hospital and has been denied further treatment. I don't know who this Butt in Riverside is and I take note that he/she hasn't signed a name. Well, it's men and women in uniform who have served and defended this great nation of ours for you to share the air we breath... FREE air. Send me an e-mail and I will take you to Cody and provide you with the opportunity to tell him to his face this crap you keep writing. Step-up-to-the-plate... show your face!
Ben Lomax

Shreveport, LA

#20 Jun 9, 2008
I'm not an active service member, but it disturbs me quite a bit to hear people slam one of my best friends in the world. To "Anonymous" in Riverside, you didn't know him. I knew him from the time we were kids, we saw each other every day and I stood up at his wedding with him. He was a good kid and a damn good man, and he's still a damn good man. Talk to the soldiers who have served with him. I've met some and seen posts from others. NOBODY who served with him has a single negative thing to say.

My friend came back a different person, and he's got one whale of a big monkey on his back, but don't question his character and call him out on a public forum, particularly not when you are too much of a girl to put your name on the post. Being there and looking up records on Google aren't the same thing.

BTW, I am still in Riverside and would love to talk to you about this man you claim to know face to face, or even better to have you talk to him. He visits quite frequently and I know he'd love to meet you....
VictorF

Winter Springs, FL

#21 Apr 21, 2015
I knew cody briefly on base and I know that this comment is years later, but he was a great person and truly the best of the best. He got in trouble for things done on off time and had nothing to do with him being one of the best marines or servicemen I have ever met. But, notwithstanding, he is a great man and one of the nicest and best people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. There is my first and last initial, I don't need to hide under anon...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Marine Corps Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Transit officials: Officer uses pepper spray on... 2 hr xxxrayted 19
News Army chief urges caution amid calls to arm more... Jul 28 Cat74 27
News Remains of 36 unidentified Marines from WWII ba... Jul 28 Sterkfontein Swar... 4
News Shallow inlet affects shrimpers, military Jul 28 Billy Weishaar 1
News Obama faces vets, Jon Stewart amid concerns ove... Jul 25 goonsquad 61
News Armed citizens guarding military recruiters Jul 24 Corrie 21
News Armed civilians guard Las Vegas military recrui... Jul 22 spytheweb 1
More from around the web