New Air Force Tattoo Policy Disqualifies Roseville Recruit

Nov 30, 2009 Full story: News10.net

One day before shipping off to boot camp in Texas, an Air Force recruit from Roseville has been notified that a tattoo on his right arm will disqualify him for service.

Full Story
Kaila Potter

Adams, MA

#1 Dec 2, 2009
I was also affected by this change in policy. I was due to leave yesterday december 1st for boot camp, but I recieved the call last Wednesday about the change. I have a tattoo on my left wrist which is only 2 inches. I had to recieve a waiver into the airforce by the general. however, i got a call last night saying everyone who had a job and was leaving between december 1st and the 31st was grandfathered in. I was not able to leave because the general made the decision to late. He made the decision around 3pm december 1st. My flight left around 12:30pm december 1st. The general stated that if the recruits who had their jobs given away due to waiting for waivers,(which also happend to me), and they could not process to leave they were to be "forgotten". I am currently "forgotten", and i cannot enter the airforce, which in all reality i should be aloud to because i am one of the ones who got grandfathered in due to my date to leave being December 1st. The problem is, the general issued the grandfather to late for me to even get on the plane that would have been taking me to Lackland AFB. If there is anyone who can help me out, please contact me. Thank you.
Jim

San Angelo, TX

#2 Dec 4, 2009
Kaila Potter wrote:
I was also affected by this change in policy. I was due to leave yesterday december 1st for boot camp, but I recieved the call last Wednesday about the change. I have a tattoo on my left wrist which is only 2 inches. I had to recieve a waiver into the airforce by the general. however, i got a call last night saying everyone who had a job and was leaving between december 1st and the 31st was grandfathered in. I was not able to leave because the general made the decision to late. He made the decision around 3pm december 1st. My flight left around 12:30pm december 1st. The general stated that if the recruits who had their jobs given away due to waiting for waivers,(which also happend to me), and they could not process to leave they were to be "forgotten". I am currently "forgotten", and i cannot enter the airforce, which in all reality i should be aloud to because i am one of the ones who got grandfathered in due to my date to leave being December 1st. The problem is, the general issued the grandfather to late for me to even get on the plane that would have been taking me to Lackland AFB. If there is anyone who can help me out, please contact me. Thank you.
I am a retired Air Force Technical Sergeant and I feel for your plight. A lot of Air Force Members were affected by this change, which I think is inappropriate. The Air Force should not disqualify anyone by appearance and/or beliefs. You have two choices. 1. Get in touch with the Inspector Generals Office of the recruitment center you used, or get in touch with your Congressman and fight it. 2. Have the tattoo removed. Unfortunately these are probably your only choices. Good luck and best wishes.
Anon

San Antonio, TX

#3 Dec 14, 2009
Seriously--The Air Force has thousands of people waiting to join. It doesn't need to alter it's policy for a minority of people with illegal tattoos. For every 1 person with an illegal tattoo who is getting blocked from entering the Af, there are about 8 more without illegal tattoos that want to join. Seriously--Sorry you decided to inject your skin with ink. Bad choices have repercussions. Get it removed, or get over it.
brooke

United States

#4 Dec 18, 2009
I was also affected by the new policy and honestly the only choice we have is to remove the tat so I ordered a wrecking balm kit praying it works its suppose to remove the tat within 4 to 6 weeks its also cheaper then laser surgery I think you guys should give it a try because every dream is worth chasing I wish you all the best of luck.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lackland Air Force Base Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So Many Unaccompanied Illegal Alien Minors Cros... (May '14) Aug '14 God 33
Taxpayer-Funded Illegal Immigrant Child Service... Aug '14 Commander Bunny 2
Rep. Gutierrez Checks on Immigrant Kids in Texas Jul '14 wild child 3
Obama aides were warned of brewing border crisis Jul '14 Cat74 101
Group Given Nearly $300 Million To House Child ... Jul '14 wild child 1
Fox's Jeanine Pirro: Obama Purposely Using Immi... Jul '14 Nostrilis Waxman 5
Luxury Hotel to Be Converted Into Immigrant Hou... Jul '14 interesting 1
More from around the web