Ogden woman says Camel Spider made itself at home

Jul 10, 2008 Full story: Kutv.com 36

This was no itsy-bitsy spider. An Ogden woman says she found a camel spider scurrying across her living room floor.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
randy beal

United States

#1 Sep 8, 2008
just found a camel spider. I live in Price,UT.
It is so cool, want to keep it and feed it and watch it grow. Is it leagal to have one as a pet ??
dude

Burbank, CA

#2 Sep 14, 2008
you should beware that creature can kill a dog and infect you call someone right awya seriously......on the other hand it does seem kool but dangerous

Since: Nov 08

From Louisville, living in UT

#3 Nov 29, 2008
There are NOT camel spiders in Utah. Ask anyone who has been deployed to the middle east.
Homg

Winnemucca, NV

#4 Dec 3, 2008
Don't be so sure. I am sure that an entomologist here in Utah has one or two in their collection in which to study.

Air 8 turn right heading 350 maintain 180 knots.

#5 Dec 4, 2008
entomologists study insects, not spider or their cousins, scorpions (which is what a camel "spider" really is).
Homg

Riverton, UT

#6 Dec 4, 2008
Super Bitch wrote:
entomologists study insects, not spider or their cousins, scorpions (which is what a camel "spider" really is).
While you are partially correct, find me a college providing a degree in araneology where entomology is NOT the main catalyst for the degree. I would call your local extension office and ask their thoughts on the matter.
Seriously

West Jordan, UT

#7 Dec 8, 2008
dude wrote:
you should beware that creature can kill a dog and infect you call someone right awya seriously......on the other hand it does seem kool but dangerous
do you believe every urban legend that comes into your inbox? They are a non venomous arthropod. Get over yourself and your misled paranoia.
christopher

Oregon City, OR

#8 Mar 31, 2009
actually sulifigids are camel spiders. they are a little larger in the middle east than they are here but they are the same organism. for more info look up sulifigidae on the internet and youll find out. dont talk so much super bitch it makes you sound stupid!

#9 Apr 5, 2009
christopher wrote:
actually sulifigids are camel spiders. they are a little larger in the middle east than they are here but they are the same organism. for more info look up sulifigidae on the internet and youll find out. dont talk so much super bitch it makes you sound stupid!
How rude of you. If we're stooping to name-calling, I'm done.
interested

Nashville, TN

#10 Nov 18, 2009
Super Bitch wrote:
There are NOT camel spiders in Utah. Ask anyone who has been deployed to the middle east.
Actually over the last few years the camel spider has been found in many ISO containers coming from the middle east. I have been there myself and they are much larger over there, however I do believe they are trying to migrate.
Amie

Gooding, ID

#11 Jun 29, 2010
I am sure there are camel spiders in Utah as they have been sighted by several people and caught here in Idaho. They can actually be found as far north as the canadian border. They are not poisonous and are not aggressive so they cant kill your family pets. They wont grow to the big size you see in the pictures taken from other warmer countries because it is cooler here. They have also been found in Arizona and a lot of other states. But like I said they are not dangerous and if they chase you its because they are trying to stay in your shadow because they hate the sun.
Les the most

United States

#12 Jul 6, 2010
I recently moved into a basement apartment in vernal utah and have found two camel spiders,one in my bedroom and one by the back door.the one in my room was about two and a half inches long .it freaked me out at first because it was gigantic and I didn't know what kind of spider it was until I did a massive google search .yikes spiders(or cousins of spiders that bite hard and run 10 mph) creep me out!
That one guy

Boise, ID

#13 Jul 15, 2010
I'm in Boise ID and I just found a camel spider in my house
nicole in northern idaho

Irvington, NJ

#14 Jul 17, 2010
i just found one in my house and i live in lewiston idaho!!! they are not venomous and they do not spin webs, they eat bugs and small mice...(when they are bigger) the one i found is about 1/2 inch long.
Lizzi

Logan, UT

#15 Jul 20, 2010
I just found one earlier today at work in the bathroom at Hill AFB....It's really nasty looking. Wish I could post a picture of it. I'm wondering if it hitched a ride back from a Service member from Afghanistan.
Ashley em

Great Falls, MT

#16 Jul 31, 2010
I have seen sevral of these nasty looking things in and around my house i live in cedar city ut. i makes me feel a little better knowing they are not venomous still pretty gross
Nicholas

Sioux City, IA

#17 Sep 26, 2010
I've served in Iraq on four different occasions and have seen plenty of camel spiders first-hand. Just recently (approximately two weeks ago) and today I have found camel spiders in my garage here in Boise, ID. I caught one in a bag to get a better look at it because at first I didn't believe what I was seeing. Sure enough, it was a camel spider. I just hope they aren't all hiding out in my bags...
kmohar

Kennewick, WA

#18 Oct 1, 2010
randy beal wrote:
just found a camel spider. I live in Price,UT.
It is so cool, want to keep it and feed it and watch it grow. Is it leagal to have one as a pet ??
how cute,i dont think any thing is wrong of takeing care of the spider thats so cute, i love spiders my self..
slayer123

Appleton, WI

#19 Dec 24, 2010
camel spiders are not scorpions.They are actually a solpugid.
slayer123

Appleton, WI

#20 Dec 24, 2010
camel spiders are solpugid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hill Air Force Base Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
moving (Mar '14) Mar '14 confused wife 1
Feds side with same-sex couples in Utah (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lawrence Wolf 23
Pilots Expected to "DIY" at Smaller Airports (Apr '13) Apr '13 Ninthman 1
Sugar Land airport tower closing in budget crunch (Mar '13) Mar '13 Hussam Abughazaleh 1
AL-06: Well, butter my butt and call me a biscu... (Jan '12) Jan '12 R U Kidding Me 1
Deadly Snowstorm Halts some Travel in Central U.S. (Dec '11) Dec '11 Dennis Rader 1
Utah airman builds coffins for children, bridge... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Job Well Done 1

Hill Air Force Base People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE