Citizens urged to fight possible Fort Polk troop reduction

Feb 14, 2013 Full story: KPLC-TV Lake Charles 26

Officials say reductions in troops at Fort Polk would essentially annihilate the economy of Leesville and Vernon parish and hurt the entire state.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Americanmale

United States

#1 Feb 16, 2013
Sleesville has never suported the troops yet, so now they want to act like they support them when all they want is their money.
Looper

Leesville, LA

#2 Feb 16, 2013
Mayor Rose does care. This is not the past.

“Sneaking up on you”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#3 Feb 16, 2013
Looper wrote:
Mayor Rose does care. This is not the past.
No the mayor does not care he is the one that went too DC and ask Landrieu to stop the building of Chille's on post because it would take away from the home town resturants.

Just stop drinking his koolaid and you'll see !!

Oh and that goes for all the past mayors who have done the same thing over the years.

Heres a question for you if Ft. Polk was so great for this state why is it there is no push from the DC crowd when it came time for this reduction of troops at Ft.Polk.?
Looper

Leesville, LA

#4 Feb 16, 2013
Because of John Flemming??? IDK
Bob B

Leesville, LA

#5 Feb 17, 2013
Ghostsniper389 wrote:
<quoted text>
No the mayor does not care he is the one that went too DC and ask Landrieu to stop the building of Chille's on post because it would take away from the home town resturants.
Just stop drinking his koolaid and you'll see !!
Oh and that goes for all the past mayors who have done the same thing over the years.
Heres a question for you if Ft. Polk was so great for this state why is it there is no push from the DC crowd when it came time for this reduction of troops at Ft.Polk.?
Chili's was never coming to Fort Polk. It was a PR stunt to satisfy the general's wife 6 years ago. The math does not work to invest over 3 million dollars on a restaurant on land you can 't own with a population base that is volatile. Four restaurant chains were contacted and none saw it as profitable.

Are you ever even close to being right on anything?
mr rogers

Bellevue, WA

#6 Feb 17, 2013
demographics and environmental social geograhpy. there was a chili's at one of the installations i was on in germany~i believe ramstein but it was ten yrs ago. it can happen but wont on polk because of demographics. people here come up with brillant ideas and jay bob says hell yeah we can do it;only to find out years later it wont work. money talks and when the green is flashed evryone has an innovative bs idea. next time polk needs to plan, look at stats and demographics by Professionals.
Snowflakesgalore

United States

#7 Feb 28, 2013
It will be better for the soldiers and their families to be stationed elsewhere. This areas utilities are rediculous, education is severely lacking for both the children as well as spouses and this is a low income state so that effects many things as well. There is no competition here business wise and it shows...every one gives poor service but charges high prices, treats you any way they please and no new businesses get approved. Programs/jobs take 2x as long to get finished here as well. Not many enjoy this area and for good reason. This area as well as state needs to over haul it's social,economic and work programs so it can stand on its own two legs. Maybe then people will raise their kids here, buy a home and retire here. Until then send the soldiers and families somewhere they can benefi,thrive and be logistically needed.
Luckypants

Leesville, LA

#8 Mar 1, 2013
Snowflakesgalore wrote:
There is no competition here business wise and it shows...every one gives poor service but charges high prices, treats you any way they please and no new businesses get approved.
Could you please explain to us how new businesses go about "getting approved"?

You are as clueless as Gsniper.
Bob B

Zwolle, LA

#9 Mar 1, 2013
Snowflakesgalore wrote:
It will be better for the soldiers and their families to be stationed elsewhere. This areas utilities are rediculous, education is severely lacking for both the children as well as spouses and this is a low income state so that effects many things as well. There is no competition here business wise and it shows...every one gives poor service but charges high prices, treats you any way they please and no new businesses get approved. Programs/jobs take 2x as long to get finished here as well. Not many enjoy this area and for good reason. This area as well as state needs to over haul it's social,economic and work programs so it can stand on its own two legs. Maybe then people will raise their kids here, buy a home and retire here. Until then send the soldiers and families somewhere they can benefi,thrive and be logistically needed.
"...flakesgalore" is an extremely accurate pen name for this moron poster.
Snowflakesgalore

Leesville, LA

#10 Mar 4, 2013
Luckypants wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please explain to us how new businesses go about "getting approved"?
You are as clueless as Gsniper.
I'm clueless? If you think after the potential business does his/her paperwork for permit, licensing etc doesn't have to get "approved" by the other businesses owners/friends of those who run this town you are mistaken. This town runs off the "good ol boy" mentality where friends inform friends. It's not like they can't/won't find a way to deny any potential threat to their friends monopoly. The base also works hand in hand with Leesville in regards to opening restaurants etc on post...if you think they don't hinder that on post as well you are wearing rose colored glasses. If on post gets better things it takes away from Leesville and their pockets.
Bob B

Leesville, LA

#11 Mar 4, 2013
Snowflakesgalore wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm clueless? If you think after the potential business does his/her paperwork for permit, licensing etc doesn't have to get "approved" by the other businesses owners/friends of those who run this town you are mistaken. This town runs off the "good ol boy" mentality where friends inform friends. It's not like they can't/won't find a way to deny any potential threat to their friends monopoly. The base also works hand in hand with Leesville in regards to opening restaurants etc on post...if you think they don't hinder that on post as well you are wearing rose colored glasses. If on post gets better things it takes away from Leesville and their pockets.
Another misinformed, lost clueless soul. Restaurants have to be profitable. The business plan for this base, at this time in this economy does not make economic sense. That's all. Period.Do we have to go over this again and again? As far as restaurants "keeping others out" haven't you ever noticed that most restaurants want other restaurants as close to them as possible? McDonalds wants to be close to Burger King, Appleby's tries to get near a Chili's, etc. They even want to share parking lots. It creates demand and choice, and profits everyone. Most cities of any size have "restaurant rows" and it's not an accident.

When you get your permit, license (if required), plans approved, finances arranged, business plan in place, and are ready to plunge ahead, if you are then "not approved" (does anyone even know what this means?) come back on here and provide your experiences. Until then, go back to watching Finding Bigfoot or some other lame fantasy that you probably also think is the truth. Sheesh.
swampbuddy

Georgetown, TX

#12 Mar 8, 2013
Go to the JRTC website and look up their invision of the area around NSU will look like in the future and see what restuarants they have penciled in there, but none of that will happen if Ft Polk downsizes!
get ready

Alexandria, VA

#13 Mar 14, 2013
I work at the Pentagon and you wouldn't believe what's about to happen to the active duty levels at Polk as well as other bases.
JandP

Leesville, LA

#14 Mar 15, 2013
I would be the first to vote and shut the post down just to watch leesville dry up. The town deserves to dry up. They do not and will never support the troops. If the post evers close I will be leaving this town.
Hacker

Leesville, LA

#15 Mar 15, 2013
JandP wrote:
I would be the first to vote and shut the post down just to watch leesville dry up. The town deserves to dry up. They do not and will never support the troops. If the post evers close I will be leaving this town.
Go ahead and leave now, dont let the parish sign hit you in the a@@.
JandP

Leesville, LA

#16 Mar 15, 2013
Hacker wrote:
<quoted text>
Go ahead and leave now, dont let the parish sign hit you in the a@@.
I would but I want to stay and enjoy watching it dry up.
Too Lazy To Sign In

Lake Charles, LA

#17 Mar 15, 2013
I dont think it will happen because there are still floods of people coming in. Some even have orders for the end of the year already!
Why would they send them here to turn around and send them out.
I think this place should decrease! I wish they would stop sending families here.
Aaaaaaa

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Mar 17, 2013
I believe leesville is only concerned for the benefit of the civilians but what about the cost of the men and women who have made the sacrifice for their country leesville is the first and only place I've been that is not military friendly what so ever why must a person have to drive an hour to do some real shopping or see some real places this place is really low on the ladder Alaska was better than this place at least they had an IHOP and a decent steak house. I say down size this place it's pretty bad when soldiers from this state don't even want to be stationed here
Too Lazy To Sign In

Lake Charles, LA

#19 Mar 17, 2013
I have lived in 9 different cities in 5 different states and this is by far the most miserable and run down place I have ever lived in. It is also the rudest place!
If the president could see the flow of endless complaints about families living here or dreading to come here they would have thinned it out years ago.
The locals love this place and thats great to have pride in your own town but dont fight to keep us here and make us suffer!! WE DONT WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!!
bembh7

Leesville, LA

#20 Mar 18, 2013
Too Lazy To Sign In wrote:
I have lived in 9 different cities in 5 different states and this is by far the most miserable and run down place I have ever lived in. It is also the rudest place!
If the president could see the flow of endless complaints about families living here or dreading to come here they would have thinned it out years ago.
The locals love this place and thats great to have pride in your own town but dont fight to keep us here and make us suffer!! WE DONT WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!!
I will take up for Leesville. I can understand your suffering. When I was a soldier being stationed in places not like my home it was not a fun adventure. Here is something I learned that made my life and everyone else around me better. I shut my mouth, matured and grew some big old balls. I started to care about where I lived, the people I met. I figured since I would voluntarily give my life for these people the least I could do is see what and who I would give it for. If your dedication to your country as a soldier is not 100% for all America, which includes your fighting brethren from this state, then you need to consider leaving the United States Army. You are not here to gripe. You are here to do a job for us. A job that requires an American soldier not some mommas boy with a chip on their shoulder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Polk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tracking down soldiers from 1970 (Apr '09) Sep '14 topaztammy 25
Army examines Fort Polk Aug '14 Uncle Sam 22
Our View: Your help needed today to save Fort Polk Jul '14 richmond harrell 1
b-2-2 (Jun '14) Jun '14 AIRMAX 1
Long road to graduation pays off (May '14) May '14 Hit it 3
Tanks and cavalry, Louisiana Maneuvers. U.S. Ar... (Dec '11) Apr '14 My family was her... 13
Younger vets still struggle finding jobs (Feb '13) Aug '13 Krystal 2
More from around the web