Ft. Lewis soldier accidentally killed by wife

Apr 12, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KOMO-TV Seattle

A Fort Lewis soldier died instantly early Sunday when his wife accidentally shot him in the head as he was teaching her how to handle a handgun.

Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated May 9, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sunshine

Tacoma, WA

#1 Apr 13, 2009
Amazing a woman accidentally shoots her husband who was teaching her gun safety at 1:30am and no arrest is made even though she is directly responsible yet the soldier who gave the girl the pills to snort is held responsible for manslaughter even though it wasn't directly his fault. This is a complete crock of crap and exactly what happens when civilians get involved in military business that doesn't concern them. The laws get bent just to shut the damn civilians up because were supposed to live by some higher law.
rezasantorini

Skokie, IL

#2 Apr 13, 2009
Sunshine wrote:
Amazing a woman accidentally shoots her husband who was teaching her gun safety at 1:30am and no arrest is made even though she is directly responsible yet the soldier who gave the girl the pills to snort is held responsible for manslaughter even though it wasn't directly his fault. This is a complete crock of crap and exactly what happens when civilians get involved in military business that doesn't concern them. The laws get bent just to shut the damn civilians up because were supposed to live by some higher law.
I think you are a crazy man.
Sunshine

Tacoma, WA

#3 Apr 14, 2009
Actually I'm a woman and I've seen it stand true time and time again at every post or military base I have been at. Every time civians get involved charges are brought upon ppl that are unnecessary and just plain far fetched just to satisfy the civilian community.
unbelievable

Olympia, WA

#4 Apr 14, 2009
Isn't the number one rule in learning to use a gun that you don't point it at anything or anyone you don't intend to shoot. Maybe that would have been a good place to start when teaching her how to use it.
VeteranVee

Tacoma, WA

#5 Apr 14, 2009
My husband is a senior NCO and knew this soldier very well and stated to me today that he was a decent guy, good soldier and that this was all just a tragic mistake. There is a woman without a husband and a family without a son.

Unfortunately, good people make stupid mistakes and drinking while palying around with firearms is never a wise idea for anyone. As for the soldier giving the pills to the 16 year old girl which directly caused her untimely death, that can hardly be compared to this case.

Many laws were broken in the 16 year old girl's case; the girl was underage while the soldier was not, they were BOTH taking a legal prescription drug and using it illegally, the soldier broke rules pertaining to Ft. Lewis policies on guests and so forth.

These were two married adults over the age of 21 who did nothing illegal. If she had the "intention" of killing him with that gun Sunshine, then your comment could be valid. I see no known laws bent just to "shut civilians up". sounds like you might have a touch of conspiracy paranoia.
Sunshine

Tacoma, WA

#6 Apr 17, 2009
Yeah conspiracy paranoia lol or not how about you compare the cases on FT Lewis that involved civilian news and the punishment that was dealt out, to the cases that didn't hit the news and the punishment individuals recieved in those. Believe me I have my sources not only in JAG but also with the MP's and CID so once again you shouldn't be talking about ONLY the things you read in the news. But I guess we'll see in time if that trully was an accident or not and for the two 16yr olds and the soldier that received manslaughter charges against him for that the most he should have received was trafficking of a controlled substance, and a few violations under the UCMJ so at the most he should have gotten a dishonorable discharge not all this because some stupid 16yr old sluts had nothing better to do then snort Oxycotin and be barracks rats. Which I bet you didn't know either she was VERY WELL known in and let me guess this building that you have probably never even been with or know which one it is so once again when military life and civilian mix the only thing that comes out is a whole shit storm.
John

Bonney Lake, WA

#7 Apr 17, 2009
Sunshine, What happened to this wife was an accident and our law forcement is really looking into this shooting. Our JAG will decided what this soldier will receive at his military court date. Our Military Courts will punish anyone in the Army that "Bents" Our Laws !! As I'm a U.S. Army retire, I'm happy the we are under UCMJ. These people like you ( and the civilian courts) wouldn't be able to hang us before our court date, just because we look at some woman.(Yes, that is why God gave us eyes for; TO LOOK!!) There are alot of people like you that hates the military, and will do anything or say anything to hurt our military.(Did you protest the war at Union Station in Tacoma ??) Yes, there are some "BAD APPLIES" in the army, But we !! THE ARMY!! Take care of these people and get them the hell out of my army. As far as civilian mix, They have "No Darm Bussiness About One Darm Thing To Do With Our Army!!!! Just look outside the gates of any bases?? There is alot of crime going on outside, and your court system and lawmakers are letting them out of jail. People like you, should be thankful that these soldiers have decided to serve and guard this country.(Thank You, All Military personall for serving!!) It really makes me sick that you are bad mouthing our miliarty, and this soldier will be deal with. Sunshine you are not!! Just a big pain in our ass. The civilian world can't do a darm thing to them,(And they can go to hell!!) as along as they are on post and get over it!! Maybe you should get out of the front of the TV. And Get A Job!! Next time you see a soldier; go and give them a hug for the making sure that CRY BABIES;(like You) you can say anything you want to because they are protecting your freedom!! On second thoughts, Cancel that!! Only real "AMERICANS", Have that right!! And that isn't you!!
Sunshine

Tacoma, WA

#8 Apr 17, 2009
John wrote:
Sunshine, What happened to this wife was an accident and our law forcement is really looking into this shooting. Our JAG will decided what this soldier will receive at his military court date. Our Military Courts will punish anyone in the Army that "Bents" Our Laws !! As I'm a U.S. Army retire, I'm happy the we are under UCMJ. These people like you ( and the civilian courts) wouldn't be able to hang us before our court date, just because we look at some woman.(Yes, that is why God gave us eyes for; TO LOOK!!) There are alot of people like you that hates the military, and will do anything or say anything to hurt our military.(Did you protest the war at Union Station in Tacoma ??) Yes, there are some "BAD APPLIES" in the army, But we !! THE ARMY!! Take care of these people and get them the hell out of my army. As far as civilian mix, They have "No Darm Bussiness About One Darm Thing To Do With Our Army!!!! Just look outside the gates of any bases?? There is alot of crime going on outside, and your court system and lawmakers are letting them out of jail. People like you, should be thankful that these soldiers have decided to serve and guard this country.(Thank You, All Military personall for serving!!) It really makes me sick that you are bad mouthing our miliarty, and this soldier will be deal with. Sunshine you are not!! Just a big pain in our ass. The civilian world can't do a darm thing to them,(And they can go to hell!!) as along as they are on post and get over it!! Maybe you should get out of the front of the TV. And Get A Job!! Next time you see a soldier; go and give them a hug for the making sure that CRY BABIES;(like You) you can say anything you want to because they are protecting your freedom!! On second thoughts, Cancel that!! Only real "AMERICANS", Have that right!! And that isn't you!!
Let me just say that you are completely and utterly STUPID! I was defending the military you idiot not saying anything against it. I am married to an Infantry soldier who has served this country for almost five years and has been on 3 deployments and come from a military family. I was responding to another woman about this. That everytime civilians get involved as if they have no crime in their crime infested towns out there soldiers and their dependents get charged with absurd charges just to please them. So how about you read all of the posts instead of just bits and pieces. As for the military wife who shot her husband I don't care how happy a couple looks we all know all too well how military wives have had to learn to cover up certain problems because it has certain consequences for soldiers with their supior officers. So we'll see once everything comes back but until then I still have my beliefs and I still have my sources (which are actual ppl not the damn news).
bozeman123

United States

#9 Apr 18, 2009
sunshine you are a piece of shit.. I knew this family well and not only do you think you know everything but obviously you have no true human emotions. This poor family has gone through hell over this! Why dont you get a fucking life instead of sitting on the internet trying to convince everyone how much you know.. Do the world a favor and move to Iraq.
Sunshine

Tacoma, WA

#10 Apr 18, 2009
bozeman123 wrote:
sunshine you are a piece of shit.. I knew this family well and not only do you think you know everything but obviously you have no true human emotions. This poor family has gone through hell over this! Why dont you get a fucking life instead of sitting on the internet trying to convince everyone how much you know.. Do the world a favor and move to Iraq.
What the hell would moving to Iraq have to do with this?! I swear some people just let all types of senseless shit come out of their mouth. Anyways I love how soo many people know this family really well but they just moved here and they sure the hell weren't in Montana before this so once again run your mouth with a whole bunch of bs.

Since: Apr 09

Jefferson City, MO

#11 Apr 21, 2009
Any Man who hands his wife a weapon after drinking at 1:30am is asking to get shot it is a shame but
Here is your Sign
don't play with guns at 1:30AM after drinking
Lauren

Tacoma, WA

#12 Apr 21, 2009
Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell would moving to Iraq have to do with this?! I swear some people just let all types of senseless shit come out of their mouth. Anyways I love how soo many people know this family really well but they just moved here and they sure the hell weren't in Montana before this so once again run your mouth with a whole bunch of bs.
Wow everyone in the Army is from everywhere in this country you IDIOT!!! My husbands has friends from ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY!!!
I doubt you knew them, your just some fat infantry wife who wants attention!
Maybe you heard some GOSSIP and thought you would pretend like you know everything!!
This was a TRAGIC accident!
Stop talking trash and think about his family!
inconsiderate big mouthed wench!
gcp

United States

#13 Apr 22, 2009
military justice is to justice...as military music is to music
Ft Lewis Soldier

Atlanta, GA

#14 Apr 22, 2009
Lauren wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow everyone in the Army is from everywhere in this country you IDIOT!!! My husbands has friends from ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY!!!
I doubt you knew them, your just some fat infantry wife who wants attention!
Maybe you heard some GOSSIP and thought you would pretend like you know everything!!
This was a TRAGIC accident!
Stop talking trash and think about his family!
inconsiderate big mouthed wench!
Are you sure it was an accident.You know the life insurance policy is really nice,esp.for soldiers like us that are definitely overworked and underpaid.
Lauren

Tacoma, WA

#15 Apr 22, 2009
time will tell wont it!
I just hate the way people RUN THEIR mouths about stuff!
Sunshine

Tacoma, WA

#16 Apr 22, 2009
Actually no I'm not one of those fat army wives and I'm not part of the FRG either because of the gossip factor so once again ppl running their mouths about things they have no idea about. Last time I checked every time I've been to a gun range when I was taught to use a weapon in the beginning the person was standing beside me at first to explain things and then behind me to teach me how to hold it correctly and aim not in front of me and when learning the basics it sure the hell wasn't loaded. But let me guess Lauren your a damn POG's wife who's never fired a weapon in her life and requires her husband to kill a spider in the bathroom because it's just so EWWW. LOL
military just us

Aberdeen, WA

#17 Apr 22, 2009
Unless a witness comes forth, or a video or audio recording is found, to contradict what happened then this case is going to be filed as an accidental shooting.

There are shootings each year using this method or excuse or dying while cleaning, handling or playing with a firearm. It is a convenient method to murdering someone or committing suicide and not losing the insurance payoff or getting the stigma of being a suicide.

In the mean time the widow gets the payout and she and the military are not burdoned with the stigma of suicide and seeing if the military is at fault for his state of mind.
Lauren

Tacoma, WA

#18 Apr 22, 2009
Sunshine wrote:
Actually no I'm not one of those fat army wives and I'm not part of the FRG either because of the gossip factor so once again ppl running their mouths about things they have no idea about. Last time I checked every time I've been to a gun range when I was taught to use a weapon in the beginning the person was standing beside me at first to explain things and then behind me to teach me how to hold it correctly and aim not in front of me and when learning the basics it sure the hell wasn't loaded. But let me guess Lauren your a damn POG's wife who's never fired a weapon in her life and requires her husband to kill a spider in the ba
throom because it's just so EWWW. LOL
LOOL wow those are some strong words! haha no actually hes Cav hunny. and I do know how to shoot a weapon. and am very self sufficient , i also know accidents happen!
Wow girl! You totally got off subject and made it about you.
People should be mourning the loss of a fellow soldier not crucifying this poor womans name!
bozeman123

United States

#19 Apr 23, 2009
dont waste your breath on Sunshine Lauren, she is obviously some classless white trash excuse for a human being. Karmas a bitch
Lauren

Tacoma, WA

#20 Apr 23, 2009
yeah your right...talking to people like her is useless...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lewis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Soldier pleads guilty in Afghanistan massacre (Jun '13) Jun '14 Bravo29er 3
Stabbed Soldier 'Died Like a Dog,' Friend's Mom... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jeff 1
Fort Lewis soldier's murder trial ends; ruling ... (May '13) May '13 eilackey 1
Army Sergeant Accused of 2009 Iraq Shootings in... (May '13) May '13 eilackey 1
A Tale of Two Diagnoses: Records Show How Army ... (Aug '12) Mar '13 HumanSpirit 36
Police: Afghan massacre too big for lone US sol... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Sam 1
US honors fallen soldier from Kosrae (Oct '12) Oct '12 sweetheart 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Fort Lewis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••