Ft. Knox Transport Company Leaves For...

Ft. Knox Transport Company Leaves For 6th Iraq Tour

There are 21 comments on the WLKY story from Aug 19, 2008, titled Ft. Knox Transport Company Leaves For 6th Iraq Tour. In it, WLKY reports that:

A Fort Knox Army company is heading back to Iraq and for some soldiers of the 233rd Transportation Company; it's their sixth tour of duty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLKY.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cardellia Wilkins

El Paso, TX

#1 Aug 31, 2008
Looking for SPEC NIKEISHA WILKINS with the 233rd Trans unit KT,KNOX.and have her FRG concact me.They can concact me at [email protected]

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#2 Sep 7, 2008
Seems like a huge waste of money to send those guys over there for 3-4 months at a time.
jane doe

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Oct 24, 2008
as the wife of one of them .. they have RARELY done 3-4 months.. mostly more.. and now 12.. how sad that your only comment darren was that it was a huge waste of money.

Location hidden

#4 Oct 24, 2008
jane doe wrote:
as the wife of one of them .. they have RARELY done 3-4 months.. mostly more.. and now 12.. how sad that your only comment darren was that it was a huge waste of money.
Have you been over there? I have. 3 times. Do you have any idea how much it costs to send a unit over, and then for that unit to return? Here's a clue; it's almost the same cost as maintaining the unit there, in place, for a YEAR. That is what was meant by my comment.

Location hidden

#5 Oct 24, 2008
Oh, and how do I know this? One of my additioanal duties while I was in (I'm retired) was to work with the installation transportation office in manifesting our equipment and personnel for deployment and redeployment. They told me.

“Don't blame me.”

Since: Mar 08

United States

#6 Oct 25, 2008
I just hope that they provide these men and women with the proper counseling when they return home. That many deployments can be a hard thing to deal with. I know. I wish all of these soldiers the best of health and that they all return home safe. I just wanted to add Thanks to all of our service men and women for your sacrifices. I also want to thank the families of these fighting heroes. It is a hard thing to send your loved ones over. Be strong.
Army Mom

Syracuse, NY

#7 Oct 31, 2008
So being there 3 times makes your opinion more valid? Thankfully, this is only my son's second deployment with the 233rd, but he's looking at more than a year over there while his wife is home with a brand new premature baby. We're not griping tho - my son knew that he was promising to defend his nation when he signed on. And whenever I read tripe written about the military, I remind myself that my son is defending the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of speech - and it doesn't specify that the speech has to be worthwhile or intelligent.

Location hidden

#8 Oct 31, 2008
Army Mom wrote:
So being there 3 times makes your opinion more valid? Thankfully, this is only my son's second deployment with the 233rd, but he's looking at more than a year over there while his wife is home with a brand new premature baby. We're not griping tho - my son knew that he was promising to defend his nation when he signed on. And whenever I read tripe written about the military, I remind myself that my son is defending the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of speech - and it doesn't specify that the speech has to be worthwhile or intelligent.
I wasn't replying to you, but yes, in these economic times, sending a unit over there for 3-4 months, and then bringing them home is an OUTRAGEOUS waste of money. I say leave them over there for a year, even if they only have 2 missions, instead of sending them back and forth twice. That's what happened in 2004 with them. As I said, I did 3 tours over there, and my son is deploying next month.(November)

It sounds to me like wasting money is fine, if it allows you to see your child more often...I never said anyone's opinion didn't matter. My opinion is a financially responsible one is all. I wish we'd pull out of there completely, and focus on Afghanistan myself. We NEVER should have done Iraq in the first place.
I know 233rd soldiers

Concord, MA

#9 Jan 28, 2009
Who cares if they all go back and none return? All they do over there, is screw one another. Married or single all they do is screw. They are a waste to time, money and my time. Let them all go there!
jackson

Lowell, MI

#10 Feb 3, 2009
I know 233rd soldiers wrote:
Who cares if they all go back and none return? All they do over there, is screw one another. Married or single all they do is screw. They are a waste to time, money and my time. Let them all go there!
wow u know 233rd? lol u just sound like your boyfriend/girlfriend got screwed by someone in 233rd or was in there and didnt stay faithfull. dont bemad at the unit for your friend and what he/she did. i was in 233rd and there was only acouple people that was up to no good. so deal with your personal issues and stop crying about other people getting some ok.
jackson

Lowell, MI

#11 Feb 3, 2009
Darren M wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't replying to you, but yes, in these economic times, sending a unit over there for 3-4 months, and then bringing them home is an OUTRAGEOUS waste of money. I say leave them over there for a year, even if they only have 2 missions, instead of sending them back and forth twice. That's what happened in 2004 with them. As I said, I did 3 tours over there, and my son is deploying next month.(November)

look guy people dont want to hear your view on how much somethimg is when there family and friends are over there in danger. im so glad u care so much about the economy and whats being spent but u saying it on here means nothing and shows how narrow minded u are. your making them comments on here because your not important enought to talk to the people that control the spended so use your time to make a point to them rather then sound like a fool on here.

to all my friends in 233rd stay safe and there family
It sounds to me like wasting money is fine, if it allows you to see your child more often...I never said anyone's opinion didn't matter. My opinion is a financially responsible one is all. I wish we'd pull out of there completely, and focus on Afghanistan myself. We NEVER should have done Iraq in the first place.
look guy people dont want to hear your view on how much somethimg is when there family and friends are over there in danger. im so glad u care so much about the economy and whats being spent but u saying it on here means nothing and shows how narrow minded u are. your making them comments on here because your not important enought to talk to the people that control the spended so use your time to make a point to them rather then sound like a fool on here.

to all my friends in 233rd stay safe and to the families keep our heads up.

Location hidden

#12 Feb 3, 2009
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
to all my friends in 233rd stay safe and to the families keep our heads up.
Look fool, my own kid is over there as a Cavalry Scout with 3/4 IN from Fort Carson, and I was there in 2003, 2004, AND 2005 as an Infantryman. Flying out is more dangerous than being there, and with the way our economy is, they should stay a YEAR like everyone else. What do I know though?, I'm only RETIRED from the Army.
Mee

Rineyville, KY

#13 Feb 4, 2009
I know 233rd soldiers wrote:
If you can't stand behind OUR soldiers than be my guest to STAND IN FRONT OF THEM...
Army Mom

Syracuse, NY

#14 Feb 11, 2009
DUH - they ARE staying more than a year - seeing your kid isn't in the 233rd and neither are you, then you don't know the facts. They left in August and were told they would be there 15 months or whenever the missions are done, whichever is LONGER. And they have never been there for "only" 3-4 months. I agree we shouldn't be there and the real threat is Afghanistan, but saying stuff here that makes the family members of 233rd guys and girls feel that you're minimizing their sacrifice doesn't influence that fact at all. It just sets you up as a know-it-all without all the facts.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 11, 2009
Army Mom wrote:
DUH - they ARE staying more than a year - seeing your kid isn't in the 233rd and neither are you, then you don't know the facts. They left in August and were told they would be there 15 months or whenever the missions are done, whichever is LONGER. And they have never been there for "only" 3-4 months. I agree we shouldn't be there and the real threat is Afghanistan, but saying stuff here that makes the family members of 233rd guys and girls feel that you're minimizing their sacrifice doesn't influence that fact at all. It just sets you up as a know-it-all without all the facts.
In 2004, they were only in Iraq for 2 months. Fact.

Location hidden

#16 Feb 11, 2009
And I'm not trying to discredit the unit. They do what they are told to do, and do it well. I wouldn't want to be deployed over and over again, not knowing how long I was going to be over there. Planning on a year, and coming home 4 months later, just to get orders to go back again in 8 months or less is bullsh!t. I KNEW my tours were a year. I actually empathize with them, as they are getting the world-famous Army-jerk-around. As far as not knowing the 233rd goes, they supported us during Desert Shield/Storm moving our Brads and Abrams in a gigantic game of chess. I was a grunt, but I made a couple of acquaintances from there.

Location hidden

#17 Feb 11, 2009
Army Mom wrote:
You're a typical, hysterical relative...No WAY were they told they would be there 15 months, or until the mission is complete; whichever is LONGER. No way, no how, you're full of it, or going off of hearsay. Their orders would NEVER state such a thing, and I bet they say "not to exceed 366 days" just like EVERYONE elses say now that the tours are back down to 12 months.
Mark

Germany

#18 Apr 18, 2009
Darren M wrote:
Oh, and how do I know this? One of my additioanal duties while I was in (I'm retired) was to work with the installation transportation office in manifesting our equipment and personnel for deployment and redeployment. They told me.

Hello
As to your statment about the money it takes to mobe a unit trust me when i say the ARMY wastes alot more on less inportant things than getting there guys home to there families sooner. OH and BY THE WAY ALOT OT THE SUPPORT AND COMBAT COMPANYS IN IRAQ ARE NOT EVEN NEEDED AS THEY ARE NOT EVEN HAVE A CLEAR MISSION ASSINED TO THE COMPANY.
SO SAVE YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE OH AND TRY THIS GET YOUR SOILDERS OUT OF HARMS WAY IF THEY DON'T NEED TO BE
military wife

Elizabethtown, KY

#19 Apr 24, 2009
Darren M wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2004, they were only in Iraq for 2 months. Fact.
My husband wasnt in 233rd,but his deployment was extended so hew was there for 22 months.This isnt 2004 fact.This is 2009 things are different.
Trooper

United States

#20 Apr 29, 2009
Well, you all have valid points. aN i respect them all. I just happen to be sufing the net and found this topic on 233rd. I was with 233rd from 2002 to 2004 and deployed with them twice. Once for four months and one for 7 months. An I have to say, i'm very proud of this unit, very strong disiplined unit, that impacted a very big part of my career. They were one of the first transportation units to hit OIF 1, and support the war on terror. Without them and thier mission accomplishment, we wouldnt be able to pull troops out of Iraq as we speek. 233rd has had a great impact on the Army as a whole and I am very proud to say I have served with them back to back threw good and bad times. Keep truckin guys, I will always support my country and thier decisions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Knox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rj? Jun '16 AJBB 1
News Self-proclaimed 'troublemaker' finds niche in U... (Nov '08) Jan '16 Dannette 2
News U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell addresses hot butt... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Tough Guy 1
News Ted Nugent on Fort Knox Cancellation: Army Has ... (Apr '12) Nov '15 opie 4
News Midlothian soldier welcomed home (Apr '12) Dec '14 Mike 4
News Ky. Tea Party Slated For 4th Of July In Frankfort (Jul '09) Oct '14 Tyler 4
News a Pentagon mulls deployment as Poland asks for ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 USA Today 1
More from around the web