Troops, families mixed over Obama's A...

Troops, families mixed over Obama's Afghan surge

There are 24 comments on the Newsday.com story from Dec 1, 2009, titled Troops, families mixed over Obama's Afghan surge. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

As President Barack Obama outlined his plan to send 30,000 extra troops to Afghanistan a ' while pledging to start bringing them home in 2011 a ' soldiers, Marines and their families interviewed by The Associated Press felt a tangle of fresh concerns and renewed hopes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

nmweatherman

“l'enfer, c'est les autres”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1 Dec 2, 2009
Afghanistan is a total waste of Americans' blood. They are a corrupt non-Christian tribal society and that's all they will ever be. Trying to turn a muslim into a democratized freedom lover is like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Our troops over there are pearls being thrown to swine.

What about our troops who are on their second or third tour? Let's let them vote: stay or come home to family and friends here.

Hussein Obama doesn't have a clue. He took months to decide nothing at all.
Wakeup time

Waukesha, WI

#2 Dec 2, 2009
30,000 troops is but a cup of fuel on the fire of Afghanistan. As other military experts suggest 400,000 troops to get the job done. And to say we'll pull out in 18 months, simply means we'll try like hell to flee from that operation as gracefully as we can. We've lost in Afghanistan. So let's move on, without losing more of our young troops.
Doctor SixPack PhD

Eden Prairie, MN

#3 Dec 2, 2009
As an old soldier, both comments above are correct.

“Participant S.E Asia War Games”

Since: Dec 07

Arden

#4 Dec 2, 2009
i agree with the first three post here. nothing will be accomplished with additional troops. this will turn out exactly like vietnam. one day someone will realise the folly of involvement in this stone-age country and america will pull out. then one can sit and ponder the many lives of american soldiers lost or changed forever due to the decisions of our wonderful government.

you obama lovers can back off blaming bush for this war, it is now obama's war. maybe pelosi will block this move and follow up on her campaign promise to bring the troops home,, oh my bad these folks don't do much of anything they say they will do.

funny obama and his folks claim the government is corrupt in afaghanistan, and yet we will train their military.. seems like a plan doesn't it?

who's next to have america intervene in their government, if you think the bad guys are only in afaghanistan, you might be qualified to be one of obama's czars.

Since: Apr 07

Glasgow, UK

#5 Dec 2, 2009
So for all his speeches and promises leading up to the election, Barack Obama has become what he fought against. Barack Obama has become the new George Bush. Spending billions of dollars to send thousands of troops away from their families to fight and die in a pointless war over oil. Shame on you President Obama, you turned out just like all the others. Makes me feel sorry for all the Americans who honestly believed this man could change America. He's just another greedy war monger using the ghosts of 9//11 as an excuse to cause even more death and misery.
Jurg

Hanover, Germany

#7 Dec 2, 2009
and how many Afghans will be murdered by those troops and how many those troops will die thanks to obama´s strategy? It is strategy of genocide and crime against humanity and such politicians as this obama, bush, clintons, biden, cheney, rumsfeld must be out of their offices.
Florida

Tampa, FL

#8 Dec 2, 2009
The fascist liberals care about nothing accept money... Something paper pratically worthless, that can be reprinted, yet liberals don't give a hoot about people that will die. Lives that can't be replaced and whom have No Hope... and... No Change...

The Party of Death, Taxes, Immorality and Greed...

The WarMongers of Hateful Liberalism

OBAMA LIES... SOLDIERS DIE!!!

Liberalism is a Disease and a Mental Disorder...

The Arm and Hammer Poison of Liberalism
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#9 Dec 2, 2009
nmweatherman wrote:
Afghanistan is a total waste of Americans' blood. They are a corrupt non-Christian tribal society and that's all they will ever be. Trying to turn a muslim into a democratized freedom lover is like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Our troops over there are pearls being thrown to swine.
What about our troops who are on their second or third tour? Let's let them vote: stay or come home to family and friends here.
Hussein Obama doesn't have a clue. He took months to decide nothing at all.
As you say, "Our troops over there are pearls being thrown to swine." Remember that it was the Afghan Taliban who allowed Al Qaeda to train in Afghanistan to plan the 9/11 attack. If we cut and run now, the "swine" will continue to breed. Destroying those "swine" is going to cost a few pearls.

Arden

#10 Dec 2, 2009
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
As you say, "Our troops over there are pearls being thrown to swine." Remember that it was the Afghan Taliban who allowed Al Qaeda to train in Afghanistan to plan the 9/11 attack. If we cut and run now, the "swine" will continue to breed. Destroying those "swine" is going to cost a few pearls.
call it what you like, sooner or later america's government will cut and run, the so called swine will still be there, how many so called pearls are you willing to sacrifice??
laughingIris

Ann Arbor, MI

#11 Dec 2, 2009
I've read the above comments. I've tried to put myself into the shoes of those whose sons/daughters/spouses are over "there".
At first, I thought I would be elated to have a timeline for them to come HOME. Then I thought of those brave men and women who have died over there for what?
Next thought was watching those towers impact the ground. We were attacked. Those people didn't have anything to do with International intrigue or politics. Alot of American blood has been spilled. Alot of Iraqi and Afghanistani blood also. But, WE didn't ask for this!{Please, spare me those who claim our Foreign Policies have brought this on} The common denominator has been throughout-Islam. I truly could care less what Religion you are. I'm two paychecks away from a State Park and a tent...it's like the Spanish Inquisition all over again. It's like the Holocaust all over again. The only difference is that we have to be "PC" and NOT call a Duck a "duck".
Were I a parent of a loved one in Iraq I would be happier after this speech. Were I the widow/Mother of a dead child after this speech...I would rage at it.
laughingIris

Ann Arbor, MI

#12 Dec 2, 2009
Apologies please, I would like to add further, the point regarding International (vs. National) Security. I truly believe President Obama went in the first day and got numerous briefings regarding the 'true' state of affairs. His brief references to plots/foiled or not to OUR National Security is very telling. It seems soo easy to blast and tear apart your predecesor doesn't it??? but, he got a dose of what is 'really' going on. Fort Hood and that jackass that killed policepersons was just a taste. We, as the American Public, do NOT know how widespread this is.
It's not the ideology people, it's the Religion-study History-same darn thing as the Inquisition.
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#13 Dec 2, 2009
ynotpw wrote:
<quoted text>
call it what you like, sooner or later america's government will cut and run, the so called swine will still be there, how many so called pearls are you willing to sacrifice??
Maybe you are right. Perhaps we should wait and fight them here, rather than there. It might be cheaper ... they can't get all of us.
Daytimedrama

Sherman Oaks, CA

#14 Dec 2, 2009
Obama/McCain 2012! They should have ran on the same ticket since no matter who we vote for nothing changes...

Hope and Change.

I HOPE it CHANGES.

I HOPE I have some CHANGE left in my pocket when they are done with war mongering.
clone benson

Bryan, OH

#16 Dec 2, 2009
your fighting for a race and a religion,that cares else about divirsty

Arden

#18 Dec 3, 2009
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you are right. Perhaps we should wait and fight them here, rather than there. It might be cheaper ... they can't get all of us.
russia was next door, had vast military resources and ended up pulling out. why would anyone believe the nato forces would do any better with limited resources and far less troops on the ground??(as a side note the russians didn't hamstring their military, they went there to bring death and destruction to their enemy) our troops are still playing the so called "hearts and minds game". war is dirty business, we have forgotten how to effectively wage war.

you say it is better to fight them over there rather than here. so who's next?? africa, iran, pakistan, indonesia,,, these same folks are in many places.

one more thought, if america can't quell a third world country, what will be the outcome if china or russia deem our government corrupt and send forces to stabilize america??
remember the national guard and reserve make up the majority of our forces in the southwest asia conflict area, who will actually be left to defend this nation?? i would say that will be left to those of us who have fought to keep our weapons, the ones democrats spoke about a during the presidential campaign, you remember, the ones who cling to their guns and religion.
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#19 Dec 3, 2009
ynotpw wrote:
<quoted text>
russia was next door, had vast military resources and ended up pulling out. why would anyone believe the nato forces would do any better with limited resources and far less troops on the ground??(as a side note the russians didn't hamstring their military, they went there to bring death and destruction to their enemy) our troops are still playing the so called "hearts and minds game". war is dirty business, we have forgotten how to effectively wage war.
you say it is better to fight them over there rather than here. so who's next?? africa, iran, pakistan, indonesia,,, these same folks are in many places.
one more thought, if america can't quell a third world country, what will be the outcome if china or russia deem our government corrupt and send forces to stabilize america??
remember the national guard and reserve make up the majority of our forces in the southwest asia conflict area, who will actually be left to defend this nation?? i would say that will be left to those of us who have fought to keep our weapons, the ones democrats spoke about a during the presidential campaign, you remember, the ones who cling to their guns and religion.
Yes, I see your point. Afghanistan has a history of being able to REPEL ALL who have entered, including the Russians. It was foolish of the USA to put boots on the ground in Afghanistan. Far better would it have been to use special forces to capture/kill Osama (who was initially our target).
Lone Wolf

Benicarló, Spain

#20 Dec 3, 2009
Its o.k.to increase the war Obama has the nobel peace prize...........ha ha globalist war monger like Bush.
Lone Wolf

Benicarló, Spain

#21 Dec 3, 2009
laughingIris wrote:
Apologies please, I would like to add further, the point regarding International (vs. National) Security. I truly believe President Obama went in the first day and got numerous briefings regarding the 'true' state of affairs. His brief references to plots/foiled or not to OUR National Security is very telling. It seems soo easy to blast and tear apart your predecesor doesn't it??? but, he got a dose of what is 'really' going on. Fort Hood and that jackass that killed policepersons was just a taste. We, as the American Public, do NOT know how widespread this is.
It's not the ideology people, it's the Religion-study History-same darn thing as the Inquisition.
globalist puppet like bush....,, infowars.com
Daytimedrama

Sherman Oaks, CA

#22 Dec 3, 2009
Just drop the A Bomb like the dems did over Japan. Thats much better.
laughingIris

Ann Arbor, MI

#23 Dec 3, 2009
Lone Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>globalist puppet like bush....,, infowars.com
Even a puppet reacts to when the strings are pulled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shawn Raymo Watched Wife, Jessica Raymo, Have O... (Oct '12) Mar '16 fuzzer 19
News Midlothian soldier welcomed home (Apr '12) Dec '14 Mike 4
News Eastern Kentucky soldier dies in Afghanistan (Feb '14) Feb '14 Cameron 1
News After years at war, the Army adapts to garrison... (Jan '14) Jan '14 QUEEN 2
News Fort Drum aviation unit released from seven-day... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Riparian 2
News DOD Identifies Army Casualty (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ayo Beyo 3
News Judge won't dismiss aiding the enemy charge in ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 tguy 2
More from around the web