Wings Over Marietta Air Show 2008

Wings Over Marietta Air Show 2008

There are 5 comments on the Marietta Square story from Oct 13, 2008, titled Wings Over Marietta Air Show 2008. In it, Marietta Square reports that:

Category: City of Marietta , Marietta Square , Site Features , marietta events The 2008 "Wings Over Marietta" Air Show and Open House is coming to Dobbins Air Reserve Base Saturday and Sunday, Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marietta Square.

Angy air show attendee

Cumming, GA

#1 Oct 18, 2008
The acutual airshow was fantastic... however, the transportation to & from the show was a nightmare. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get from the Lockheed parking lot to the base! 2 1/2 hours! The return trip was even worse! There was NO coordination and a MOB mentality was beginning to develop. There were tens of thousands of people trying to get on a handful of busses. My family walked the 3-4 miles back to Lockeed. In route, we were only passed by TWO buses.

In my opinion, the transportation system was dangerous. People were very upset and the older folks seemed to be suffering from the VERY long lines and long waits.

Sadly, while the flying and aircraft were amazing - the transportation for the spectators was horrible... I would not recommend it.

Fayetteville, GA

#2 Oct 19, 2008
I wonder why there isn't anything in the AJC or on the local TV news about this!? I brought my family to the parking lot around 10:30am, and there was a line of people 1000 yards long minimum. I decided that my two kids were never going to make it the 2+ hours needed to get to base. A cop I spoke with said that this was a far bigger crowd than they had ever anticipated. The mob mentality was already starting to develop when I arrived - I can only imagine what it was like on the return trip! Why haven't we heard anything about this in the local media?!?

United States

#3 Oct 20, 2008
The worst organized shuttle service that I've ever seen. Everyone who parked at the Dobbins lot had the worst experience trying to get to the air show. Robert Quigley should be fired over this and how the shuttle service worked on Sat. 2+ hours to get on a bus for a 5 minute ride was the worse. The ride back was even worse because the Cobb County police had all the gates blocked off not allowing any busses back into the lots. I'll never go to this event again!

Douglasville, GA

#4 Oct 20, 2008
3 hours 15 minutes from the Dobbins lot to the tarmac.
1 hour 20 minutes at the show.
1 hour 15 minutes back to the Dobbins lot.

It was as bad as they say. Big crowds notwithstanding, I saw some horrible organizational mistakes.

1) Buses were being loaded serially. In other words, 4 buses would line up at Dobbins and they would only load one at a time, while empty buses sat in front of waiting lines.
2) There was no visible hierarchy among those in charge. Sometimes one of them would just pick a point in the middle of the line and start a new line, allowing thousands to 'cut' at once.
3) At both Dobbins and the show, the queues were not properly set up with ropes or barricades. Entire mobs would push down a rope and move to another queue, or to a bus that was 3rd or 4th in line.
4) Buses were queued at the show dozens deep but couldn't move anyone because there was no thru-lane assigned.

SOMETHING THAT REALLY FRIGHTENED ME about the whole dangerous situation (as stated before - mob mentality, no visible accommodation for the sick/elderly/injured, no convenience facilities) was that most of the folks at the front of the line were wearing CERT (Cobb Emergency Response Team) vests, shirts, and lanyards. God help us in Cobb if they are ever responsible for an evacuation.

I absolutely will not return to this event unless I see this severe problem addressed.

Mike Manley,

Stone Mountain, GA

#5 Oct 22, 2008
I searched for news about the extremely poor organization of shuttling people to the air show but did not see any except from this blog. I wanted to know who was responsible and proposed changes for the future. It was a dangerous and volatile situation with thousands of people herded and funneled into a narrow space to load one bus at a time. I think the persons responsible should post an apology in newspapers and radio and address the issue for future events. We will not be returning to future events without some assurance for improvement and that is what we are sharing with our neighbors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dobbins Air Reserve Base Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texas man indicted for '95 murder or WR woman (Oct '10) Oct '10 Patricia Wilson -... 1
Atlanta Military Families Examiner... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Stories 1
News 100K estimated at Cobb air show (Oct '08) Oct '08 John Doe 3
More from around the web