How do I know if the Coast Guard is r...

How do I know if the Coast Guard is right for me?

Posted in the US Coast Guard Forum

Kayla Ross

United States

#1 Nov 23, 2010
I am going into my senior year of Highschool and have tons of upcoming decisions to make. My future is extremely important to me in many ways. Joining the Coast Guard could be a huge accomplishment in my life. I am a very hard worker and very athletic as well, but how is a person suppose to know whats really right for them? My Uncle is a Commander in the Coast Guard and has a really great life, you could say that I look up to him. I really love all the benefits it gives you. I just really need help on the decision and someone who can give me some good advice!
Thank you!
Kim

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Apr 14, 2011
My son is in the Coast Guard. The decision is yours. You must understand though that the wait for "A" school is very long for most jobs and that you may be swabbing the deck, painting and sanding and other not so glamourous jobs for 2-4 years. Someone has to do it, if your OK with that then go ahead. Also, by the time your name comes up for "A" school you will probably have to extend to meet the time in service for that rate. There is a coast guard forum on military.com . Ask questions, especially to the non-rates. Information is power.
snipe

Spanish Fork, UT

#3 May 11, 2011
If it doesn't move, "PAINT IT"!

If it moves "SECURE IT AND PAINT IT"!
Zachary

Coachella, CA

#4 Mar 9, 2012
Hi I want to join the coast guard right out of high school. I want to be maritime law enforcement . What would be considered a perfect background for that rate? Would police explorers and njrotc help?
Zachary

Coachella, CA

#5 Mar 9, 2012
Please post or email to me answer [email protected]
philip cooley

United States

#6 Mar 22, 2012
Ok I really need to get my life together and on track. Would the caost guard be right for me. I'm 23 and single no kids, I'm a hard worker (I know everyone says that) but I am. I know it can be hard it times but I am willing to do what ever it takes and it get done. Any adive will help thanks.
Ex-Coastie

Topeka, KS

#7 Jun 13, 2012
Ok for EVERYONE in this post: NO ONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO WITH THEIR LIVES UNTIL THEY DO IT!!!!

Listen, every job in every military service requires hard work and dedication. There will be more bad times than good times, that's just how life is.

Zachary: Consider the Coast Guard (and entire military, for that matter) NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY. You will have to take the ASVAB test, and your score will determine which jobs you QUALIFY for. Do you think most 18 year-olds have experience with jet engines or piloting a military ship? The CG will train you do to any job that you want, as long as you qualify for it.

Phillip: I was 23 when I joined too. But who can tell you what is right for you other than you? I guarantee NO ONE knows about the Coast Guard until they've experienced it. I've spent 6 years in and all I know about is aviation. Don't ask me to heave a mooring line onto shore or how to calibrate encrypted communication equipment. Point is, you have to make a decision. On one side, you have what you are doing now, on the other you have the CG. Remember, in the CG you have benefits (Active duty gets free health and dental care, money for housing, food, clothing, school; Reserves get health/dental at a reduced cost, and limited school assistance). Try this exercise: Imagine yourself at 29 after NOT joining, and you and I are applying for the same job. But because I have military experience and all that entails (supervisor experience, clean background/security clearance, mission completion mentality), I will most likely get the job AND at a higher pay than you would have. Just something for thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Coast Guard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DHS chief says arresting parents may quell huma... Jul 24 Palin s Turkey Th... 9
News California rescuers free humpback snagged by fi... Jul '17 anonymous 1
News Coast Guard: Arrests of migrants with criminal ... Jul '17 anonymous 1
News Coast Guard along Great Lakes seeing increase i... Jul '17 Another Thought 1
News Coast Guard ship will linger in century-old wat... Jun '17 Cordwainer Trout 4
Coast Guard? May '17 Daniel1120 1
News Trump lashes out at critics, 'naysayers,' unfai... May '17 mike pence 9
More from around the web