Cruise ship passengers in Galveston t...

Cruise ship passengers in Galveston tell of wild Grand Princess...

There are 8 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Feb 12, 2006, titled Cruise ship passengers in Galveston tell of wild Grand Princess.... In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

As they disembarked the cruise ship Grand Princess on Saturday following a weeklong trip, passengers described a wild ride when the ship made an emergency turnaround just after the trip began.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

John South

AOL

#1 Feb 15, 2006
I certainly Hope Princess will immediately inform everyone what happened, future passengers will want to think twice if no info is given as to what actually happed to the ship
and whay..
Shannon

Surprise, AZ

#2 Feb 17, 2006
I just hope that if Princess does give the story that it will be the truth.
Stan

AOL

#3 Feb 22, 2006
I hope that they give a reason for not giving advance notice of such a sharp turn was going to happen. There were so many stories being told that the truth may be dull.
turn around-tip

Brampton, Canada

#4 Feb 23, 2006
No announcement before or during. Staff didn't know what was happening
Marta

United States

#5 Feb 24, 2006
The warning of the sharp turnabout would have been the least they could have done, no $$ compensation for compromising all of our safty, we won't be crusing Princess any time soon.
Helen

London, Canada

#6 Feb 25, 2006
Our biggest concern about the sharp turn was the lack of warning so that passengers and crew could prepare for any eventuality. We had just left the muster station where we were told that a PA announcement would be made in the event of an emergency. Why was this procedure not followed? Returning a passenger to port for necessary hospital care was obviously deemed an emergency, otherwise the ship wouldn't have been turned around so sharply. The passengers and crew on the Feb.4/06 Grand Princess cruise from Galveston deserve some answers.
Kevin

Modesto, CA

#7 Mar 24, 2006
We were on the ship, and featured on the news. I do not believe the medical emergency story. While a woman did suffer a heart attack (her room was 5 away from ours) I think the turn caused her condition. Just as the man died from cardiac arrest after the star fire. I think the ship was rubbing the bottom or about to run aground. I cant see any captain turning a ship like that for a med emergency, even to save one woman.
grandprincess

Blandford Forum, UK

#8 Dec 17, 2013
As an serving officer on the vessel at the time of the incident. The true story is as follows. On departure from port (Galveston) the Captain told the helmsman to go to port but the helmsman went starboard instead, realizing his mistake he quickly turned to port. Hence causing the ship to roll of 27 degrees.
There was a passenger who had a mild hart attack, after the roll, not because of it!
There was a lot of the galley staff (kitchen) injured by hot foods, liquids spilling onto them. To the senior managements SHAME ie Captain and PSD they told all galley staff they had to sign a document wavering all rights to company misconduct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Coast Guard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man found dead in woods was booted from Coast G... Jan 5 Truther Birther 1
News Divers search Lake Erie for missing plane Jan 2 Pie in the sky 2
News Search called off for British woman feared over... Dec 23 Jan 1
army to coast guard???? (Apr '09) Dec '16 Roger 25
News Theresa Maniaci-Canni, left, and George (Nov '09) Oct '16 Meep 22
Innapropriate relationship or not? Sep '16 Ticharrow 1
News Niagara house fire that drew U.S. response was ... Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web