Soldier Loses Wife & Son In Deadly Crash

Aug 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WIBW-TV Topeka

Kansas Highway Patrol reports indicate that on Friday, August 10th, 2012 at 11:43 AM, a car driven by Bryan Alfred, 21, of Junction City, was southbound on US Highway 56 when his vehicle went left of center and struck a Chevy Silverado going northbound.

Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Jul 27, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
FRIEND

El Paso, TX

#1 Aug 22, 2012
He is a friend of mine and is still in the hospital in serious condition. His 6yr old son passed last week so please pray for him.
Sorry

Junction City, KS

#2 Aug 23, 2012
FRIEND wrote:
He is a friend of mine and is still in the hospital in serious condition. His 6yr old son passed last week so please pray for him.
So sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers are with him to a full recovery and help the family get through this difficult time.
Common Sense

Junction City, KS

#3 Aug 23, 2012
My prayers go out to him and his family.
MilitaryWife

Fort Riley, KS

#4 Aug 26, 2012
Is he still in the hospital? I was one of his sons teachers at the CDC so I've been trying to see how he's doing.
Steve

Junction City, KS

#5 Aug 28, 2012
According to the police report...What a shame....NOBODY in this vehicle was buckled up or in a child seat!!!! SAD!!
its the law

Junction City, KS

#6 Aug 28, 2012
Steve wrote:
According to the police report...What a shame....NOBODY in this vehicle was buckled up or in a child seat!!!! SAD!!
Sad and avoidable. Not wearing a seatbelt or restraining children in child seats is selfish and irresponsible. But seatbelt laws are "Big Government" to conservatives. Go figure.
Maya

United States

#7 Aug 30, 2012
I deployed with him and he is my neighbor. I was out of town and realized that their car wasn't moving. The movers were there to pick up their things and I asked him where they were and this is how I found out. This is so sad! He is just a baby only 21 and I just have this feeling he is going to feel like it was his fault as he was driving. I pray for him that he knows that God is the only o e in control and that God called His angels home! He loved his family as was a good man! He always took my trash out for no reason lol such good people they are! Great grey neighbors and he was is an awesome Soldier who served his country before e was of legal age! Gos bless him with strength and a testimony of survival! God bless the souls of his family!
Carla

Junction City, KS

#8 Sep 3, 2012
Well, if the news is correct he should blame himself for the rest of his life. The news stated he WAS under the influence of alcohol. He may have been a wonderful neighbor....too bad he didn't have the brains to not drink and drive. Killed 3 people. I am sure he will certainly have a hard time living with himself.
Kim

Salina, KS

#9 Sep 5, 2012
Maya wrote:
I deployed with him and he is my neighbor. I was out of town and realized that their car wasn't moving. The movers were there to pick up their things and I asked him where they were and this is how I found out. This is so sad! He is just a baby only 21 and I just have this feeling he is going to feel like it was his fault as he was driving. I pray for him that he knows that God is the only o e in control and that God called His angels home! He loved his family as was a good man! He always took my trash out for no reason lol such good people they are! Great grey neighbors and he was is an awesome Soldier who served his country before e was of legal age! Gos bless him with strength and a testimony of survival! God bless the souls of his family!
I am so glad to hear that he is a good family man. My son was a passenger in the truck. We've all been struggling for answers. My heart goes out to him and his family. We think of them on a daily basis.
bob

Manhattan, KS

#10 Sep 5, 2012
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so glad to hear that he is a good family man. My son was a passenger in the truck. We've all been struggling for answers. My heart goes out to him and his family. We think of them on a daily basis.
i was one of the first ones there after it happened. it was a horrible crash, truck stayed in the lane of trafic with the engine about 20 feet behind it. Other car was upside down in ditch people trying to get it turned over to get people out.
Army Wife

Junction City, KS

#11 Sep 5, 2012
He was not a good family man if he wasn't smart enough to make sure everyone in his vehicle was properly restrained with seatbelts and in carseats or booster seats. The army would do well to get him kicked out for killing a fellow soldier (his wife) and his children.
Kim

Salina, KS

#12 Sep 6, 2012
Army Wife wrote:
He was not a good family man if he wasn't smart enough to make sure everyone in his vehicle was properly restrained with seatbelts and in carseats or booster seats. The army would do well to get him kicked out for killing a fellow soldier (his wife) and his children.
The children were in safety restraints. The Kansas State Trooper who spoke to us while investigating the accident was trying to determine if we knew who physically cut the seatbelts out of the car. I have his card with his name on it at home. The people who stopped to help (bless them), cut the seatbelts to get the children out. AND if you happened to have seen a picture of the car you would realize that the chances of the survival were extremely slim.

I wish I knew more about the accident, but sometimes answeres are better left unknown...BUT the children were seatbelted.
Kim

Salina, KS

#13 Sep 6, 2012
Plus it breaks my heart that people who know NOTHING of the family's that are involved, nor the detailed information of the events feel the need to spread hatred. I hope it makes you feel better knowing you passed judgement and terrible thoughts. I sincerely hope that when a tragic event happens in your life, people are kind and nonjudgemental. EVEN if you did know the family, there are still extending members of the family who DO NOT need your spite. They are still hurting and need positive thoughts to lift them up so that they may continue to heal.
Army Wife

Junction City, KS

#14 Sep 6, 2012
I am sorry if you thought I was passing judgement. I was only commenting on a news article that I read online where it stated no one in either vehicle had been restrained.
Kim

Salina, KS

#15 Sep 6, 2012
Thank you, I accept your apology. It is a terribly tragic event. Even though our son had minor injuries, the images he saw when he got out to help the passengers in the car will haunt us for the rest of our lives. It helps our family know that people who actually knew him considered him a wonderful friend.

And no my son nor the passengers in the truck had seatbelts on. And yes the injuries my son had would have been prevented if he had been. I can say that he wears his belt all the time now.

Since: Aug 12

Fort Riley, KS

#16 Sep 6, 2012
Carla wrote:
Well, if the news is correct he should blame himself for the rest of his life. The news stated he WAS under the influence of alcohol. He may have been a wonderful neighbor....too bad he didn't have the brains to not drink and drive. Killed 3 people. I am sure he will certainly have a hard time living with himself.
If he was under the influence of alcohol why isn't anyone else talking about that??? Obviously he had a problem and if that were the case he should be in jail no matter how much of a good guy everyone says he is...they have counseling and AA in jail which is where he belongs if he was drinking and driving.
Kim

Salina, KS

#17 Sep 6, 2012
In ANY fatality accident they always test for alcohol even for illegal substance. Even the driver who was struck was tested. It is a Kansas standard.
AND no one else is talking about that because the accident is still under investigation according to the Marion County Sherriff's department. You may call and verify if it concerns you that much. Everyone has the ability to verify facts....makes me shake my head that people just throw stuff out there to jump on bandwagons.
Carla

Junction City, KS

#18 Sep 6, 2012
Kim wrote:
Plus it breaks my heart that people who know NOTHING of the family's that are involved, nor the detailed information of the events feel the need to spread hatred. I hope it makes you feel better knowing you passed judgement and terrible thoughts. I sincerely hope that when a tragic event happens in your life, people are kind and nonjudgemental. EVEN if you did know the family, there are still extending members of the family who DO NOT need your spite. They are still hurting and need positive thoughts to lift them up so that they may continue to heal.
According to ALL reports...NOBODY was restrained. Positive thoughts go out to people who have the good sense to make sure their families are buckled up. Also, the news reports he had alcohol in his system. Sorry....IF you drink and drive you certainly are going to reap what you sow.
Kim

Salina, KS

#19 Sep 6, 2012
Carla wrote:
<quoted text>According to ALL reports...NOBODY was restrained. Positive thoughts go out to people who have the good sense to make sure their families are buckled up. Also, the news reports he had alcohol in his system. Sorry....IF you drink and drive you certainly are going to reap what you sow.
Yes, the KHP report says nobody was restrained because the children's seatbelts were cut by people who stopped to help. So they had to assume that restraints were not used. There wasn't first responders on the scene to assess the situation because the 911 call went to Marion which was 20 minutes away instead of Herington which was 5 minutes.

You can read about the new agreement that was reached for that situation in the Herington Times or Marion County Record.

Now, will you please give me the links of the reports where it was verified that there was alcohol involved?
Aunt

El Monte, CA

#20 Sep 12, 2012
PLEASE STOP with the negative comments.Our families are hurting. Bryan is my nephew.The accident is still under investigation. Thank you to the family and all the others that helped out there on that road. Thank you. Please keep our families in your prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Army Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Head of Detroit Police Mounted unit invited to ... 13 hr john sinclair 1
Picture Exclusive: Bowe Bergdahl's father after... 20 hr Hailey Rocks 2
Officials offer no details of Las Cruces myster... Aug 26 Knight1 1
Navy Discharges African-American Sailor For Ref... Aug 25 Polyphase 53
SOA Watch may protest on Fort Benning Road unde... Aug 25 Will Dockery 2
Hanau says goodbye to U.S. troops (Nov '08) Aug 24 JJB 1,384
More Aug 23 SirPrize 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••