VC for soldier who 'tore into' Taliban

VC for soldier who 'tore into' Taliban

There are 194 comments on the NEWS.com.au story from Jan 22, 2011, titled VC for soldier who 'tore into' Taliban. In it, NEWS.com.au reports that:

An SAS digger who single handedly took out three Taliban machine guns will receive his Victoria Cross today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NEWS.com.au.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Malakoff, TX

#1 Jan 22, 2011
One man with courage makes a majority.
- Andrew Jackson

Well done, Sir!

“Free Speech in a Free World ”

Since: May 10

AUSTRALIAN

#2 Jan 23, 2011
Why was this one person singled out for awards when others fought alongside no different than he.
It was reported he is a sniper,this means he had a different weapon,more capable of despatching the enemy compatants to their afterlife from a more secure position.
John

Aspley, Australia

#3 Jan 23, 2011
Neville Thompson wrote:
Why was this one person singled out for awards when others fought alongside no different than he.
It was reported he is a sniper,this means he had a different weapon,more capable of despatching the enemy compatants to their afterlife from a more secure position.
Seriously, you've made some stupid comments on this forum but this takes the cake.
If you've got the guts and brains to single-handedly take out three machine gun posts then you get a VC. Duh.
Big John Wayne

Barnsley, UK

#4 Jan 23, 2011
Nepotism at its most blatant.

AUSTRALIAN

#5 Jan 23, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, you've made some stupid comments on this forum but this takes the cake.
If you've got the guts and brains to single-handedly take out three machine gun posts then you get a VC. Duh.
It was stated on the TV that he is a "sniper".
Did he do any different to that of the others on the day.
Why get a VC for what is described in the press?

Since: Aug 10

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Jan 23, 2011
Neville Thompson wrote:
Envy the country that has heroes, huh? I say pity the country that needs them.

Nice shooting, digger.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jan 23, 2011
Neville Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was stated on the TV that he is a "sniper".
Did he do any different to that of the others on the day.
Why get a VC for what is described in the press?
They ought to be giving out VC's for every Muslim sent to meet Allah. I am a little surprised the PC fuckwits of today did not try to charge the heroic digger with murder.

AUSTRALIAN

#8 Jan 23, 2011
Dr-Zaius wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice shooting, digger.
G'day Doc,this seems a bit weird to me.
This soldier get's the attention of the enemy whilst another of his unit hurls a grenade at the enemy,this is called teamwork,this is what their training is all about,looking after each other in combat.
He then locates and pins down the enemy using a "sniper rifle" so why does he get the V C.?
Wouldn't the person who put his body in harms way by exposing himself to the enemy to hurl the grenade get the VC or wouldn't the entire unit be given a unit citation and a coupla cartons of crownies for their group action ?
What pisses me off is that there are just as many deserving members of our military ,like bomb disposal who put their lives on the line all the time and how often have we seen one of these brilliant people get a V C.

AUSTRALIAN

#9 Jan 23, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously if you haven't got anything constructive to add to this forum you should ..........

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Neville Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
G'day Doc,this seems a bit weird to me.
This soldier get's the attention of the enemy whilst another of his unit hurls a grenade at the enemy,this is called teamwork,this is what their training is all about,looking after each other in combat.
He then locates and pins down the enemy using a "sniper rifle" so why does he get the V C.?
Wouldn't the person who put his body in harms way by exposing himself to the enemy to hurl the grenade get the VC or wouldn't the entire unit be given a unit citation and a coupla cartons of crownies for their group action ?
What pisses me off is that there are just as many deserving members of our military ,like bomb disposal who put their lives on the line all the time and how often have we seen one of these brilliant people get a V C.
I could not agree more, mate. I understand where you are coming from, we just do not know the full circumstances of this firefight. I expect this honour was fully earned. This does not mean many diggers are walking around, spit on and forgotten for the heroic bravery they have shown too.

Piss poor government with leftist priorities and agendas are to blame, IMO.

Since: Nov 10

Monte Vista, Colorado

#12 Jan 23, 2011
All you critics are combat veterans, right? You've each and every one faced down an enemy machine-gun?
Rattle Kattle

Debary, FL

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Can our heroes stay there FOREVER?

10 years of stupidity so far too bad we will never win.

Do you see those fanatics ever giving up.....time is on there side , not ours

Do pass out the medals and lose the war

Malakoff, TX

#14 Jan 23, 2011
Rattle Kattle wrote:
Ah, old run and hide, let the enemy do what they want fiddlefaddle. How are ya, and how are things in the closet?

AUSTRALIAN

#15 Jan 23, 2011
windypoint wrote:
All you critics are combat veterans, right? You've each and every one faced down an enemy machine-gun?
Who is critizing what Windy ?
Also,going by your terminology of facing down a machine gun,what sort of weaponry did the enemy have,light or heavy,there is a difference

AUSTRALIAN

#16 Jan 23, 2011
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, old run and hide, let the enemy do what they want fiddlefaddle. How are ya, and how are things in the closet?
To the loved ones of one dead soldier of any nationality,can you personally explain to them why their son or daughter had to die in a foreign land of a country that was of no threat to his or her homeland.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Jan 23, 2011
Rattle Kattle wrote:
You would rather them bring the fight here to our shores, so you have additional support against the USA?
Bertolt Brecht

Providence, UT

#18 Jan 23, 2011
Dr-Zaius wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice shooting, digger.
ANDREA: Unhappy the land that has no heroes!...

GALILEO: No, unhappy the land that needs heroes.

Malakoff, TX

#19 Jan 23, 2011
Neville Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
To the loved ones of one dead soldier of any nationality,can you personally explain to them why their son or daughter had to die in a foreign land of a country that was of no threat to his or her homeland.
No, but ones that are a threat can be explained. Thanks,
Rattle Kattle

Debary, FL

#20 Jan 23, 2011
Dr-Zaius wrote:
<quoted text>
You would rather them bring the fight here to our shores, so you have additional support against the USA?
You stupid fool...if we actually controlled our own borders 9/11/01 would not have happened.

We wanted war we got it....now they have us EXACTLY where they want us.

Our loss is GUARENTEED....by the element of time itself...you stupid american FOOL.

AUSTRALIAN

#21 Jan 23, 2011
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but ones that are a threat can be explained. Thanks,
Because of the invasion of those lands we now see the fight expanded to our own shores by those who are prepared to die trying.
Example being the suicide bombings and killings throughout the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Army Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fatal shooting Sat butters_ 3
News Soldier granted bond on murder charge Jul 27 ssgmilanlarry 3
News U.S. Army Officer Calls Obama an "Impostor" (Feb '09) Jul 27 Majikmon 18,743
News Editorial: Higher wages, better opportunities r... Jul 26 I Hate The French 1
News Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl briefly detained in Northern... Jul 25 Here Is One 1
News Fort Snelling's upper post: 'Country club,' gho... Jul 23 Tellitlikeitis 8
News Wanda Jean Davenport Jul 22 Heavy Fed 1
More from around the web