3/8 will deploy to Afghanistan

3/8 will deploy to Afghanistan

There are 35 comments on the www.enctoday.com story from Sep 15, 2008, titled 3/8 will deploy to Afghanistan. In it, www.enctoday.com reports that:

Third Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, will deploy to Afghanistan instead of Iraq, as originally planned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.enctoday.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bob wolison

Fredericksburg, VA

#1 Oct 15, 2008
thqat sucks for them boys
Long Time Resident

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#2 Oct 15, 2008
What sucks??
Please post what you are responding to!

“I'm a Multifacted Personality ”

Since: Nov 07

West Shores of the Salton Sea

#3 Oct 15, 2008
The rest of the story:
Third Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, will deploy to Afghanistan instead of Iraq, as originally planned.

The Camp Lejeune-based infantry battalion will serve as the ground combat element of a Marine Air-Ground Task Force created to replace the Lejeune- based 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the California-based 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, according to the Department of Defense and a Marine spokesman.

The MAGTF, which will leave in November, will also include a logistics element, a headquarters element and an aviation element, but those unit assignments have not been released. The units will come from around the Marine Corps, said spokesman Maj. David Nevers.

The Marine units in Afghanistan now have been praised for their work in the southern part of the country, and both units' tours were extended by 30 days at the request of the International Security Assistance Force. Commandant Gen. James Conway has said he would like to replace the units but would need to pull troops out of Iraq to do so.

"We just have to, I think, figure out a way to maintain the gains that we've achieved," Conway said in an Aug. 27 Department of Defense press briefing, according to the briefing transcript. "Everyone seems to agree that additional forces are the ideal course of action for preventing a Taliban comeback, but just where they're going to come from is still up for discussion."

Nevers said the deployment of the specially created MAGTF is an attempt to build on the successes of the 24th MEU and 2/7.

"The idea was to avoid losing the ground that the Marines have made up while they've been over there ... to keep that momentum going," Nevers said. "There's been a great deal of discussion at a very senior level about the need to reinforce troop levels in Afghanistan, and this is a step in that direction."

3/8 is going through Mojave Viper training at the Marine Air-Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif. But the training took into account the possibility of a change in mission, said 1st Lt. Philip Klay, spokesman for the 2nd Marine Division.

That meant "not only developing the skills necessary for operations in either Iraq or Afghanistan, but also having additional training specific to Operation Enduring Freedom (in Afghanistan)," Klay said.

Afghanistan-specific elements included "cultural training, preparation for operations in Afghan-like terrain and interaction with Afghan role-players," he said.

The Army's 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, from Ft. Drum, N.Y., will deploy about 3,700 soldiers to Afghanistan in January "to increase the capabilities of the International Security Assistance Force," according to a Department of Defense news release.

eSemperFi

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Nov 6, 2008
Hell hath no fury like a deployed MAGTF!

Semper Fi Marines!

http://www.eSemperFi.com
Long Time Resident

United States

#5 Nov 6, 2008
God help those that are being asked to leave their families with the holidays so close.
I wish you my heartfelt gratitude for your sacrifice and your belief in what you are fighting for!
Those that have given up their personal lives to fight for America's freedom have really never been thanked appropriately -- I don't think there is really an appropriate way to do that.
I just want you to know that as ONE American living with the everyday freedom that I have I THANK YOU - EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!
marine dad76

AOL

#6 Nov 15, 2008
as the dad of one of 3/8 marines thanks to all that send support and god bless you and them and to the ones that don't support thank them for fighting for your right to do so, semfa fi.
Long Time Resident

United States

#7 Nov 15, 2008
marine dad76,
As much as I support and love the military - I cannot, as a parent, imagine letting my son go into something so life changing.
I commend you and all of the families waiting at home for the SAFE return of their family members.
Those that don't support the military need to consider what type of sacrifice they would make for anyone other than themselves!
marine mom21

Mount Airy, GA

#8 Nov 16, 2008
Hello MarineDad76
I quess we were in the same parking lot as the buses rolled out with our men.
I am a mom with a son in 3/8 and I pray for all the boys (men) everyday
Thank you all for your prayers and support
God Bless
In the know

Elkview, WV

#9 Nov 16, 2008
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
MarineWife27

Raleigh, NC

#10 Nov 16, 2008
As the wife of one of the Marines that are being sent over there...it is so hard. Our daughter is two months old and his biggest fear is her forgetting about him. I love him so much and thank you all for your prayers and concerns...
Long Time Resident

United States

#11 Nov 16, 2008
In the know: you are absolutely right! There are so many living within this United States that would NEVER put themselves on-the-line for other people living in this United States. However, those same people are willing to spend their time marching in lines screaming obsenities at the police trying to control them and criticising the people going to a foreign land to fight for them ---- but ask them to do something for a next door neighbor let alone the other people living within this Nation!!
MarineWife27: with today's technologie hopefully you will be able to keep in touch with your husband and your daughter will not only be able to talk to him, but see his face while doing that.
Don't fear -- she WILL remember her father, and hopefully have him walk her down the isle when she gets married.
Good luck to you and your family!!!!!!!!!! AND thank GOD for men like your husband. Thank YOU and your new family for your personal sacrifice. YOU are what the United States stands for; and why this Nation exists today.
JoyeLeigh

United States

#12 Nov 17, 2008
My fiance has been in Afghanistan a little less than a week---it is his first deployment---please pray for 3/8 Kilo Company as well as all the others that are overseas---
R-L-H

Valparaiso, IN

#13 Nov 18, 2008
Marine Mom & Marine Dad
I was in that same lot saying good bye to my son from India co.; it kicked in on the way back to the hotel. Last info I received was that the guys landed safely and were on their last leg of the trip. My camera blanked out half way through while taking photos when in the lot that day; I still have a number of good ones of marines that I do not know, and of course of my son; some are with the guys and of him alone. If anyone wants them, figure a way for me to send them; I can't find a post or site to locate more from that day.
marine dad CT

Southington, CT

#15 Nov 20, 2008
My son is in 3/8 India Co. 1st time deployment. Man this is hard to deal with.

R-L-H can you send me those pictures to

[email protected]
R-L-H

Valparaiso, IN

#16 Nov 20, 2008
Check your e-mail and get back to me. Spoke to my son an hour ago; ALL is GOOD there.
Long Time Resident

United States

#17 Nov 20, 2008
God bless all of them and please be with all of them and you remaining at home.
Thank you for what you (they) are doing!
There are some in this Nation that have gone through the same thing and have suffered the consequences. There are also others that would never attempt to do what you (or your loved ones) are doing and then march for the rights that you give them.
God bless you and thank you!!
Tina

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Nov 21, 2008
My son is also in 3/8 India Co. We had gone down a couple of weeks before they left to spend some time with. I'd love to know if he is one of your pictures.
Here is my email address - perhaps you can send them that way and I can look thru them?

[email protected]

Please reply - I have been on pins and needles - pray daily for all their safety!
marinemom21

Winder, GA

#19 Nov 21, 2008
we heard from him this morning via email he asked for socks and boxers.
He said laundry is terrible I quess they are wearing what they have and then throwing them away >
A very good site to find out more about our boys (MEN)
is usmc yuku.com
very good support group

i have just a few pictures
some are so blurry I think I was tearing up too much to have a steady hand>
oops I have to go phone is going crazy
will return
Thanks FOR EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTS ARE MEN
R-L-H

Valparaiso, IN

#20 Nov 21, 2008
Tina

Check your e-mail.

R.H.
R-L-H

Valparaiso, IN

#21 Nov 21, 2008
Marinemom21

Im having a major problem logging into that yuku site; nothing is working. Did you have problems with this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Army Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville was right to want to remove a R... 14 hr Trump is Winning 1
News Hanau says goodbye to U.S. troops (Nov '08) Feb 23 Brad 1,517
News Officials want coin created for New York's Purp... Feb 22 Hostis Publicus 3
News 24 military medals stolen during California dam... Feb 19 Ashley 2
News Funeral arrangements, memorial announced for fa... Feb 17 James 2
News Why Is Russia Helping Anti-U.S. Insurgents in A... Feb 15 RUSSIAN TERRORISTS 6
News Famed Vietnam veteran Hal Moore dies in Auburn ... Feb 12 James 1
More from around the web