anyone been to incirlik base in turkey?
Keith Norman

Pacoima, CA

#124 Apr 15, 2011
I was stationed at Incirlik 1976-77 with det 193-1 security police.does anyone remember the cattle that use to get on the base also the wild dogs, the big ditch that along the perimeter and a lot more. I have a lot of photos of people who were there. I will try to find a way to post them or get them to this site. It would be nice to find old friends
Howie

Fulton, NY

#125 May 10, 2011
Howie wrote:
I am trying to find out some information regarding the homicide of a female sargent while at the Incirlik base approximately 1992 / 1993. She was killed by her fiance, Dante Ventresca, who was employed by General Electric (now Lockheed Martin).
His wacky sister lives next door to me!The whole Ventresca family is nuts! What do you want to know? [email protected]
George Watson

Oakland, CA

#126 May 10, 2011
Keith Norman wrote:
I was stationed at Incirlik 1976-77 with det 193-1 security police.does anyone remember the cattle that use to get on the base also the wild dogs, the big ditch that along the perimeter and a lot more. I have a lot of photos of people who were there. I will try to find a way to post them or get them to this site. It would be nice to find old friends
I was there from 65 - 67.

I remember the Guard Posts, the big ditch and the wild dogs
that would get on base and sometimes get shot.

I don't remember any cattle, just fields of cotton and opium
next to the base.

I remember the Security Police as being the best Softball players
but sometimes trying to hard in the games and throwing the ball
away.
To Howie

Fulton, NY

#128 May 11, 2011
He and his family live in Syracuse NY
Dan Benson

Spruce Head, ME

#129 May 26, 2011
Keith Norman wrote:
I was stationed at Incirlik 1976-77 with det 193-1 security police.does anyone remember the cattle that use to get on the base also the wild dogs, the big ditch that along the perimeter and a lot more. I have a lot of photos of people who were there. I will try to find a way to post them or get them to this site. It would be nice to find old friends
Keith,
I was there 1976 - 1977 also. The morning I arrived they were on the flight line shooting dogs. Remember Frank Adams, Major Hodge, and his pig that we roasted, Kris Larson, Ed Orcutt, Tracy Haizlip,(cute blonde) Lt Smith, and the guy that shot himself at the armory trying to get out of his assignment, the cops that went to the turkish prison for hash, the blonde secretary for Maj. Hodge I think her nickname was squeaky because of her voice? Send me an email at [email protected]
Keith Norman

Canyon Country, CA

#130 May 27, 2011
I made contact with 2 people who were there at Incirlik in 1977 while I was there thats amazing 34 years
Keith Norman

Canyon Country, CA

#131 May 27, 2011
I remember we had a guy who went out and caught those wild dogs if know what i mean. We the sp's had to chase the cattle off the runway. If you approched a Turkish guard post you had too turn on your light bar or they might you shoot you We had lots of 10-13's
Laurel Lewellen

Olympia, WA

#132 Jun 17, 2011
My daughter and her her husband, Alison and Lee Glass, went from Barksdale AFB to Incirlik AB (supply and security) in the fall of 1996. My first grandchild was born in the base hospital in 1997. Of course I went to Turkey to see them. From a visitor point of view, I loved Adana and the base. All so friendly and the base was just great. Beautiful housing for USAF... no tents! I flew from Seattle to Copenhagen to Istanbul to Adana to Chicago to Seattle. It was the trip of a lifetime! Be glad for this assignment!!
Attitude

Turkey

#133 Aug 3, 2011
It's true the commissary sometimes doesn't have everything, but there are stores off base that have fresh food and several markets for produce. It's all what you make it. I love it, turn on the news in the states, I feel safer here that just off base at my last stateside assignment.
The Truth about Tukey wrote:
We were statoned at Incirlik AB from 1997-1999.
It's 2011. If you talk to someone who is stationed in Turkey right now, they will tell you that Turkish customs have delayed all of the fresh food and (since it spoiled while sitting in customs) the commissary shelves are void of fresh produce, meat, eggs, bread etc. It's been this way for several weeks. This isn't exactly new (who knows how much it costs DECA) but it's not right; and it's the worst I've heard so far. Let's add to that the fact that the majority of the population is Muslim and a prominent Turkish leader just called for the country to return to the days of the Ottoman Empire and a desire to strengthen their ties with Iran. No more secular government. But who cares?! I'm sure I'll be called a bigot and a racest by most of you. So I guess no one cares. We can all just be thrilled that that our friends and family members are in Turkey. The people are REALLY nice. And um, there's this great food off base. What more could you want? Yeah. Sit back, turn a blind eye to all that BORING NEWS CRAP and statistics that show what the population and it's leaders really think about all you kuffers. Go catch a movie. Look forward to the NEW life like drama "Institution of Iron Fisted Rule by Sharia Law and Extermination of the Kuffers" at an area surrounding a Turkish base near you!
Keith Norman

Los Angeles, CA

#134 Aug 3, 2011
He will be OK . I was there in 1977 a long time ago but now it's better from what I hear. Our guys will be taken care of every one looks for each other remember everyones away from home that will be his home while he's there, it's a small American town just over there.
George Watson

Oakland, CA

#135 Aug 4, 2011
Keith Norman wrote:
I was stationed at Incirlik 1976-77 with det 193-1 security police.does anyone remember the cattle that use to get on the base also the wild dogs, the big ditch that along the perimeter and a lot more. I have a lot of photos of people who were there. I will try to find a way to post them or get them to this site. It would be nice to find old friends
I was a dependent there from 65/67.
I remember the ditch and I remember the wild dogs that were
occasionally shot by the Turkish guards or by the Det 193
Airmen - I remember the Det 193 being great basketball and softball
players though sometimes they would get into heated arguments over
how each other played.
George Watson

Oakland, CA

#136 Aug 4, 2011
Tim wrote:
I was a dependent around 63-65. Incirlik was one of the best places we lived. I am still captivated by this crossroads of human history. When you live in this area you are in the middle of ancient civilizations. the people were good to us, curious mostly, why would Americans drive out to some village, and climb to the top of a mountain to look at old ruins.
Tim what grade were you in when you were at Incirlik ?
I was there from 65 - 67
Third grade in the school building
4th and 5th in the Quonsehuts where all 4th/5th/6th graders went.
john

Buzzards Bay, MA

#137 Aug 5, 2011
George Watson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a dependent there from 65/67.
I remember the ditch and I remember the wild dogs that were
occasionally shot by the Turkish guards or by the Det 193
Airmen - I remember the Det 193 being great basketball and softball
players though sometimes they would get into heated arguments over
how each other played.
I was in det 192 in 69/70 and played on the Basketball team. the competition with det 193 was fierce but there was surpirisingly no outside violence from the results. We won about 1/2 the time and it
was great competition!
darzstar

United States

#138 Sep 5, 2011
The Truth about Tukey wrote:
We were statoned at Incirlik AB from 1997-1999.
It's 2011. If you talk to someone who is stationed in Turkey right now, they will tell you that Turkish customs have delayed all of the fresh food and (since it spoiled while sitting in customs) the commissary shelves are void of fresh produce, meat, eggs, bread etc. It's been this way for several weeks. This isn't exactly new (who knows how much it costs DECA) but it's not right; and it's the worst I've heard so far. Let's add to that the fact that the majority of the population is Muslim and a prominent Turkish leader just called for the country to return to the days of the Ottoman Empire and a desire to strengthen their ties with Iran. No more secular government. But who cares?! I'm sure I'll be called a bigot and a racest by most of you. So I guess no one cares. We can all just be thrilled that that our friends and family members are in Turkey. The people are REALLY nice. And um, there's this great food off base. What more could you want? Yeah. Sit back, turn a blind eye to all that BORING NEWS CRAP and statistics that show what the population and it's leaders really think about all you kuffers. Go catch a movie. Look forward to the NEW life like drama "Institution of Iron Fisted Rule by Sharia Law and Extermination of the Kuffers" at an area surrounding a Turkish base near you!
It seems like you get offended when people post their opinions of your opinions. If people don't like you because of your attitude, that seems like something you should be used to. You are surrounding yourself with negative karma and any good you may have in you does not shine through. Either embrace it or get over yourself!
shut up

Warrensburg, MO

#140 Sep 5, 2011
I don't believe in karma and I refuse to be ruled by your imaginary being. I don't care if anyone likes me, especially someone like you. THE POINT of the post was to say that IT IS NOT all sunshine and roses in Turkey. I never said that anyone had to agree with me, but there's NO reason for people to personally attack me. Have you even read all the posts?

Do you see how this works? If you're having a hard time following, let me summarize. Someone makes a favorable comment. I disagree. Someone makes a personal attack on me because I disagree. I respond to their personal attack WITHOUT making rude comments about them. I'm accused of being "offended" and having a "bad attitude" FOR DISAGREEING WITH A PERSONAL ATTACK. They didn't verbally attack MY OPINION of Turkey; they made rude, unacceptable comments about ME.

SO, what you're saying is that, because I have the less favored opinion, I should NOT respond? I should allow myself to be bullied by people?

Why can't I respond to a "negative opinion of my opinion" ? Why aren't YOU also responding to the people that don't share my opinion and have not only posted negative things about it, but about ME, personally? Why haven't you warned THEM about the negative effects on THEIR "karma"?

It's because my opinion doesn't fit in with YOU BELIEVE and what's politically correct. Maybe YOU should embrace THAT or get over yourself. How does karma feel about hypocracy?
darzstar

United States

#141 Sep 5, 2011
shut up wrote:
I don't believe in karma and I refuse to be ruled by your imaginary being. I don't care if anyone likes me, especiiually someone like you. THE POINT of the post was to say that IT IS NOT all sunshine and roses in Turkey. I never said that anyone had to agree with me, but there's NO reason for people to personally attack me. Have you even read all the posts?
Do you see how this works? If you're having a hard time following, let me summarize. Someone makes a favorable comment. I disagree. Someone makes a personal attack on me because I disagree. I respond to their personal attack WITHOUT making rude comments about them. I'm accused of being "offended" and having a "bad attitude" FOR DISAGREEING WITH A PERSONAL ATTACK. They didn't verbally attack MY OPINION of Turkey; they made rude, unacceptable comments about ME.
SO, what you're saying is that, because I have the less favored opinion, I should NOT respond? I should allow myself to be bullied by people?
Why can't I respond to a "negative opinion of my opinion" ? Why aren't YOU also responding to the people that don't share my opinion and have not only posted negative things about it, but about ME, personally? Why haven't you warned THEM about the negative effects on THEIR "karma"?
It's because my opinion doesn't fit in with YOU BELIEVE and what's politically correct. Maybe YOU should embrace THAT or get over yourself. How does karma feel about hypocracy?
You make it easy, maybe that's why people gravitate to you. I wasn't attacking you, I was suggesting to calm yourself down before you give yourself a stroke. Even though you don't believe , its obvious you need a little good Karma and a little love.
Tracy Haizlip

Garland, TX

#142 Oct 22, 2011
Dan and Keith,
I was stationed at Incirlik in 76-77. I experienced a lot in those 15 months. Most of it good! I also remember some of the people you guys listed. Memories!!
vickie-rohnertpk ca

Santa Rosa, CA

#143 Nov 15, 2011
I was there from 64 to 67 & do remember the quonsehuts. I was in 5th & 6th grade. Miss Flores was my 5th grade teacher & Mr. Slatem was my 6th grade teacher. A friend of mine was there in the early 90's & he did tell me that they had built brand new housing, but he & his family opted to live off base in Incirlik Village. Do you remember the miniature golf course? We lived on base 65 through 67 & that was built & completed before we left. The first year we lived in Adana.
Keith Norman

Sunland, CA

#144 Nov 16, 2011
I am very glad that I have been able to make contact with some of the people who were there while I was at Incirlik. Question did you work in k-9 Tracy and Dan I think I have a picture of you from back then.
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#145 Nov 24, 2011
It's a real crap hole. Most people that leave there are never the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Air Force Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News When was the first tornado warning issued? Sat dopplergangers 1
News Dennis Lutes announces candidacy for Westfield ... Mar 22 Don 9
News Military nude photo investigation expands into ... Mar 20 Hostis Publicus 7
News US, Asia-Pacific allies rolling out F-35 stealt... Mar 19 Hostis Publicus 10
News Local Muslims open doors to neighbors Mar 17 Thimas 3
News No bad judgment calls in Yemen raid, top US Mid... Mar 14 Death on 2 Legs 18
News COMMENTARY: Obamas leave an image that will nev... Mar 13 huntcoyotes 38
More from around the web