Residents complain about Holloman sonic booms

Feb 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Mansfield News Journal

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. - New Mexico residents who live along flight paths of supersonic fighter jets from the Holloman Air Force Base are complaining about noise loud enough to set off car alarms.

Comments
61 - 80 of 238 Comments Last updated Mar 9, 2014
teppupkcos

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

Judged:

Thanks Mr. Panetta, for todays statement regarding the F 22's. It's going to get a lot quiter around here soon. They're not grounded, but they might as well be.
See Here - See Here

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

Now everything is back to the way it should be, with only car stereos booming, horns blowing, tires screeching, and loud engine drag racing, and dogs barking. What bliss.

Since: Sep 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

teppupkcos wrote:
Thanks Mr. Panetta, for todays statement regarding the F 22's. It's going to get a lot quiter around here soon. They're not grounded, but they might as well be.
I will say i am sorry now, because i hate to see you cry when the booms continue here. Not Grounded = Booms continuing....

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/dotmil/2012/...

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has slapped restrictions on the Air Force's prized F-22 fighter fleet amid safety concerns, but insiders say they aren't that confining.

Spurred by warnings after nearly a dozen cases of pilots losing consciousness mid-flight, Panetta has restricted the distances the advanced jets can fly and ordered a fleet-wide installation of an automatic backup oxygen system.

Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said Tuesday the defense secretary plans to remain personally engaged in Air Force efforts to remedy the plane's ailment.

Notably, however, Panetta stopped short of grounding the entire fleet of 188 F-22 Raptors. He also did not pull a squadron of F-22s that were recently deployed to Al Dhafra Air Base in the United Arab Emirates, near the Iranian border.

"In terms of the deployment in southwest Asia, we believe that we can safely continue that deployment given the geography of the region," Little said.

Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. John Kirby said Tuesday the flight-distance restriction is "situational," saying: "I don't believe there's a nautical-mile limit here, it's just about an appropriate level of proximity to [landing] strips."

Despite some chatter in defense circles that the F-22 fleet might be permanently doomed, several longtime military hardware analysts say the Raptor restrictions will likely be lifted soon and the issue will quickly be forgotten.

"The easiest fix is to automate the oxygen system. Once that's done, the problem should go away," says Loren Thompson, a Lexington Institute analyst and industry consultant. "The fleet would not have been put on restrictive status had there been a pressing danger overseas."

Several Air Force pilots took the extraordinary step to sit down with "60 Minutes" for an interview that aired earlier this month during which they raised major concerns about flying the F-22.

Given the public black eye that interview dealt to the Air Force and Pentagon, why did defense officials opt against simply grounding the entire fleet, which never has been used in combat due to its high cost and limited fleet size? Because keeping the planes flying will help fix the problem, Little said.

"The secretary believes that this is the prudent course right now. It allows us to continue to examine the aircraft closely and to try to figure out what happened," Little said. "There's a troubleshooting process that's going on right now. So the aircraft being in operation assists in that process."

Winslow Wheeler, a former congressional defense aide now with the Project On Government Oversight, says "the Air Force will shut down the F-22 permanently over its cold, dead body."

Wheeler says the steps implemented by Panetta amount to very little.

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

"The restrictions imposed by [Secretary] Panetta do nothing to protect the pilots and ground crew from the increased toxicity that the data show they are experiencing," Wheeler says. "Panetta's actions are essentially political moves to appear to be doing something in favor of the pilots while holding, above all else, the preservation of the F-22's increasingly transparent clothing."

So what is the Raptor's immediate fate?

"The most likely outcome is the Air Force will finish automating the oxygen system across the fleet, and gradually, the political system will forget about this," Thompson says.

There was evidence Wednesday that Thompson's prediction already was coming true.

In a letter to Panetta, Senate Armed Services Committee Ranking Member John McCain applauded the secretary's "swift action" to "help ensure the health and safety of airmen who operate the F-22 and the safety of F-22 flight operations."

In the letter, McCain—a longtime vocal critic of the F-22 program—turned his attention away from the woozy pilots and toward concerns that Panetta's moves might keep the Raptor from taking part in any critical missions.

"These measures are likely to have operational and training impacts, and potentially implications for national security," McCain wrote.

Service officials concluded a yearlong investigation into the incidents in April, which included one death, in which pilots reported difficulties breathing due to apparent problems with the onboard oxygen system. But the investigation failed to turn up anything definitive.

The entire 188-plane fleet was grounded for several months earlier this year. Air Force officials in April were satisfied enough with the oxygen system study, and cleared the entire fleet to resume flights.

"This is still a relatively rare event," Donley said then. "This is not common."

After countless design and testing, ailments delayed delivery of the F-22 to the Air Force and drove up its price tag, then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates in 2009 capped the fleet at 188 jets. The Government Accountability Office pegs the cost of each F-22 at nearly $415 million, while an industry source says the last Raptors to roll off the assembly line "cost about half that much."

Early estimates were around $140 million per jet.

Yep a lot of restrictions for the F-22 here at Holloman. Bring on the booms.

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Now that was a great Sonic Boom, My dog miss a snore, the house shook, and man that was great,We need more, sure do miss those sonic booms.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Land Locked Sailor wrote:
Now that was a great Sonic Boom, My dog miss a snore, the house shook, and man that was great,We need more, sure do miss those sonic booms.
The sound of freedom has rang 4 times here tonight! I wonder if you can here that sound in germany?
Still Dancin

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Some friends came to visit and one day i was out of town when a couple of booms boomed. They swore it was awful explosions and were ready to flee. I told them they were the sonic booms I had told them I'm was experiencing. They couldn't believe it, especially cuz it was after 9 pm. I wish my dog could handle it better and she's smarter than a LOT of people aroune here.
Sonic B S

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

The last thing we need here is noise at night. I filed a complaint this morning. I will not tolerate this. The military has no business in this town flying at night.

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Sonic B S wrote:
The last thing we need here is noise at night. I filed a complaint this morning. I will not tolerate this. The military has no business in this town flying at night.
LMAO over your thoughts and plan of action.

Good Luck, Maybe you should open your own moving company for the mass exodus you are going to cause, Yep your complaint will close Holloman, can i go with you, i need to see the base Public Affairs Officer face when you pump up your chest......

Maybe you should go see the man up in Weed who falls down when the Sonic Booms happen up there, but give him a few minutes, he also goes deaf after these booms.
Sonic B S

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

You just wait and see Gilligan. I am writing letters to every congressman I can think of. I will protest Holloman out front of their main gate with signs until they stop this noise. How do these warmongers expect anybody to sleep at night. They can play with all of their big toys in the middle east and not here. I pay taxes dammit.
Tell The Truth

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Sonic B S wrote:
You just wait and see Gilligan. I am writing letters to every congressman I can think of. I will protest Holloman out front of their main gate with signs until they stop this noise. How do these warmongers expect anybody to sleep at night. They can play with all of their big toys in the middle east and not here. I pay taxes dammit.
visit this site, Citizens Against Sonic Booms on Facebook. There are many who agree with you.
Donnie

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

I'm always happy to hear the booms. I agree with many of the other posts. If it really bothers you that much, just move. Don't move to Texas though because we always had them when I was growing up. The only place I know of that is boom free would be the Rio Grande Valley. Move there and be with the cartel bullets flying. Then you'll decide very quickly that the booms aren't bad at all.
Bro

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

They was flying bro in to get some emergency Carls Jr. Didn't want it to get cold
Still Dancin

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

I'll boom to that.
Sonic B S

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Donnie wrote:
I'm always happy to hear the booms. I agree with many of the other posts. If it really bothers you that much, just move. Don't move to Texas though because we always had them when I was growing up. The only place I know of that is boom free would be the Rio Grande Valley. Move there and be with the cartel bullets flying. Then you'll decide very quickly that the booms aren't bad at all.
I was here first as s hole. That noise came years after I settled my family here. Now my windows rattle, my house shakes and it pisses me off so why don't you go mind our own texas business and help them secede from the union pendejo.
whatever

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Sonic B S wrote:
<quoted text>I was here first as s hole. That noise came years after I settled my family here. Now my windows rattle, my house shakes and it pisses me off so why don't you go mind our own texas business and help them secede from the union pendejo.
Boo Hoo! Go back to Mexico, I'd don't think they have a Cessna that can break the sound barrier.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Tell The Truth wrote:
<quoted text> visit this site, Citizens Against Sonic Booms on Facebook. There are many who agree with you.
Since when does 10 qualify as many. LOL
Bro

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

wonder if Barb is naked. She sounds naked
Sonic B S

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo Hoo! Go back to Mexico, I'd don't think they have a Cessna that can break the sound barrier.
You probably don't even have a car dickwad. By the way you write and spell I would lay money that you don't even have a job.

I just heard another one of those nasty booms. I will put a stop to this in the morning.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Military Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tongan shot in US, grateful to Chinese Navy sur... 14 hr Zorri 12
Obama back in DC amid crises; as if he never left 16 hr Deo Vindice 11
First case of Ebola at London hospital 18 hr Helms-enator 8
Officials offer no details of Las Cruces myster... 21 hr Knight1 1
Mysterious Lights Reported Above Oceanside Tue Jaimie 3
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Tue Jaimie 31
4 Bodies Found Floating off South Florida Coast Tue Go Blue Forever 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••