With deadline looming, White House de...

With deadline looming, White House details cuts

There are 98 comments on the politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com story from Feb 25, 2013, titled With deadline looming, White House details cuts. In it, politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com reports that:

Food safety inspections, early education classrooms and mental health treatment are all at risk if massive forced spending cuts are allowed to take effect at the end of this week, the White House said Sunday.

Those cuts would accompany deep reductions in defense spending - including stalling maintenance on Navy ships - that are also poised to trigger March 1. In detailed reports for all 50 states and the District of Columbia, President Barack Obama's budget office spelled out how the cuts - which are the result of a stalemate between Congressional Republicans and the White House over reducing the federal deficit - will affect localities, putting the stakes of the budget debate in stark terms as Congress returns to Washington after a week-long break.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#83 Feb 28, 2013
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were present when this guy was recruited in the military? And when I was in the military lifetime medical care was promised during boot camp multiple times. I would invite any other veteran to either back up what I have said or counter it.
I was promised I could get stationed in Scotland too. I was promised I could live off base. I was promised I could eat as much as I wanted for free at the chow hall. Etc.

Verbal promises are meaningless.

If it's not in your contract (it isn't) then it's not enforceable.
Whoa Up

United States

#84 Feb 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The govt never promised lietime medical care for anyone. That has already been disproven in court.
Everyone in the military serves at the needs of the military; they can kick you out or keep you in as they see fit. Reagan, Bush, & Shrub all kept servicemembers on active duty after their enlistment contracts were up because they were "needed for the duration".
That IS in every contract, unlike the mythical lifetime healthcare b.s.
"The government never promised lietime (sic) medical care for everyone", you posted.

What is the main Obama healthcare goal with Obamacare?

"That has already been disproven (sic) in court", you posted.

Cite the courts and the cases to validate you statement.

Tawas City, Michigan

#85 Feb 28, 2013
Whoa Up wrote:
<quoted text>
"The government never promised lietime (sic) medical care for everyone", you posted.
I was referring to the retired military members

If you're going to jump into a conversation, then read the previous comments first so you don't sound like a moron.
Whoa Up

Carmel, ME

#86 Feb 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to the retired military members
If you're going to jump into a conversation, then read the previous comments first so you don't sound like a moron.
Well then, let's try this "jump" item.

Veterans Health Benefits Handbook: Chapter 1, page 1, paragraph 4.

"Today's Veterans receive a "Medical Benefits Package", which VA administers through a patient enrollment program. Along with your enrollment in the VA health care system comes the assurance that health and treatment services will be available when and where you need them." I want to emphasize the "Medical BENEFITS PACKAGE" term used here. A Veteran, not just a retiree, is guaranteed some sort of medical "BENEFITS" as a result of being a member of the United States military.

Free medical is provided as part of the military service given by the Vet for "service related" injuries while serving. Free medical is provided for "medical/health issues" related to those service connected injuries, even though the Vet is no longer on active duty.

Chapter 2, page 8: Vets who fall into Priority Group 5 do not pay any health care payments, or co-pays, if they fall below the VA financial thresholds-they pay nothing for VA health care services, right up till the day they pass.

This handbook also addresses Vet health issues that were not addressed at the time of the Vet's release from active duty-in that if your record shows you were released "without a medical examination of your teeth" at the time of release, the VA may be required to administer some "dental" coverage that ordinarily would not be available.

So, I question anyone who claims to be a military retiree, but doesn't realize there are over 1400 VA healthcare facilities to take care of Vets who were promised healthcare as part of the service to their country. So, why don't you tell us what Chapter 8 of the handbook covers?

Tawas City, Michigan

#87 Feb 28, 2013
Whoa Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, let's try this "jump" item.
Veterans Health Benefits Handbook: Chapter 1, page 1, paragraph 4.
"Today's Veterans receive a "Medical Benefits Package", which VA administers through a patient enrollment program. Along with your enrollment in the VA health care system comes the assurance that health and treatment services will be available when and where you need them." I want to emphasize the "Medical BENEFITS PACKAGE" term used here. A Veteran, not just a retiree, is guaranteed some sort of medical "BENEFITS" as a result of being a member of the United States military.
Free medical is provided as part of the military service given by the Vet for "service related" injuries while serving. Free medical is provided for "medical/health issues" related to those service connected injuries, even though the Vet is no longer on active duty.
Chapter 2, page 8: Vets who fall into Priority Group 5 do not pay any health care payments, or co-pays, if they fall below the VA financial thresholds-they pay nothing for VA health care services, right up till the day they pass.
This handbook also addresses Vet health issues that were not addressed at the time of the Vet's release from active duty-in that if your record shows you were released "without a medical examination of your teeth" at the time of release, the VA may be required to administer some "dental" coverage that ordinarily would not be available.
So, I question anyone who claims to be a military retiree, but doesn't realize there are over 1400 VA healthcare facilities to take care of Vets who were promised healthcare as part of the service to their country. So, why don't you tell us what Chapter 8 of the handbook covers?
Yes, Congress provides for certain healthcare benefits as part of your service. That was never disputed.

Again, for the moron in you, the claim was a CONTRACTUAL promise of LIFETIME HEALTHCARE for retirees.

According to Schism v US (2002), Congress never authorized any such promise.

Recruiters can promise to give you a unicorn to ride into battle; that doesn't make it a valid contract.
WTF

United States

#88 Feb 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Congress provides for certain healthcare benefits as part of your service. That was never disputed.
Again, for the moron in you, the claim was a CONTRACTUAL promise of LIFETIME HEALTHCARE for retirees.
According to Schism v US (2002), Congress never authorized any such promise.
Recruiters can promise to give you a unicorn to ride into battle; that doesn't make it a valid contract.
Thanks for making me do some research. As plain as day in some of the armed forces recruiting pamphlets and the US Navy's official blue jacket manual, is the promise to free health care if after a minimum of 20 years service.
TRICARE NO

Carmel, ME

#89 Feb 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
I can walk into any hospital or doctors office anywhere in the country and they have to accept TriCare.
Wrong! Most VA medical centers accept TRICARE only on a space available basis. Enrolled Vets always have priority.

TRICARE Prime is restricted to use within a 50 mile radius of a military base or BRAC. Example cited, only Vet facilities in Syracuse and Albany, NY, accept TRICARE Prime.

So, MORON, you cant' just walk into ANY doctor's office, ANYWHERE in the country and the HAVE TO ACCEPT TRICARE.

Tawas City, Michigan

#90 Feb 28, 2013
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for making me do some research. As plain as day in some of the armed forces recruiting pamphlets and the US Navy's official blue jacket manual, is the promise to free health care if after a minimum of 20 years service.
Yes, that is a fact. Unfortunately that doesn't carry any contractual obligation on the part of the government. Congress NEVER passed legislation granting free healthcare for retirees for the rest of their lives. They HAVE passed TriCare, Medicare, and in response to the criticism from retirees and various vet organizations, they passed "TriCare for Life" which essentially pays all the costs Medicare doesn't pick up once a military retiree turns 65.

So in reality we do have nearly free healthcare for life, but not because of any recuiting material or contractual obligations.

And as a retired vet, trust me, it's an EXTREMELY generous package.

Tawas City, Michigan

#91 Feb 28, 2013
TRICARE NO wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong! Most VA medical centers accept TRICARE only on a space available basis. Enrolled Vets always have priority.
TRICARE Prime is restricted to use within a 50 mile radius of a military base or BRAC. Example cited, only Vet facilities in Syracuse and Albany, NY, accept TRICARE Prime.
So, MORON, you cant' just walk into ANY doctor's office, ANYWHERE in the country and the HAVE TO ACCEPT TRICARE.
You are correct, I forgot about the VA medical centers & clinics.

I should have said any CIVILIAN hospital or doctors office is required to accept TriCare- whether it's prime, extra, or standard.
Not So

Carmel, ME

#92 Feb 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, social security taxes pay for social security; medicare taxes pay for medicare. Just look at your paystub sometime (assuming you work).
What is wrong with offering Medicare to all? Are you afraid everyone would sign up if given the chance, just like 99% of everyone currently over age 65?
Isn't it amazing how everyone supposedly hates "socialized medicine" and yet they immediately sign up for it the day they turn 65.
Maybe they don't realize the govt is running it?
I loved all the old geezers on Medicare the GOPasaurs trotted out demanding the government keep their hands off our healthcare! The irony obviously escaped them.
Okay MORON, let's get it right.

Social Security was introduced in the 1930's. To fund Social Security, the government set up the FICA tax deduction from incomes.

In 1960 Medicare was introduced as a way to pay for retired peoples' medical expenses. The FICA tax was increased to pay for Medicare cost.

There is now a separate FICA tax called Medicare Premiums, but it still a FICA tax.

Now seeing as how the FICA tax rate was used from 1960, anytime that percentage of your income and employer contribution was increased for Medicare, it was done through the Social Security system-via FICA. Ergo MORON, the money SS used to buy US Government securities as an investment, used both the retirement and medial funds.

Why don't you look up FICA, MORON. You might raise your IQ level above the negative figure you now have.

And people sign up for Medicare, because part of their salaries and their employers' business expenses go to pay for the ENTITLEMENT, MORON.

Tawas City, Michigan

#93 Feb 28, 2013
Not So wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay MORON, let's get it right.
Social Security was introduced in the 1930's. To fund Social Security, the government set up the FICA tax deduction from incomes.
In 1960 Medicare was introduced as a way to pay for retired peoples' medical expenses. The FICA tax was increased to pay for Medicare cost.
There is now a separate FICA tax called Medicare Premiums, but it still a FICA tax.
Now seeing as how the FICA tax rate was used from 1960, anytime that percentage of your income and employer contribution was increased for Medicare, it was done through the Social Security system-via FICA. Ergo MORON, the money SS used to buy US Government securities as an investment, used both the retirement and medial funds.
Why don't you look up FICA, MORON. You might raise your IQ level above the negative figure you now have.
And people sign up for Medicare, because part of their salaries and their employers' business expenses go to pay for the ENTITLEMENT, MORON.
You're splitting hairs. Medicare & social security are essentially two separate programs, each funded with their own taxes.

Btw, they are not technically entitlements, because you have absolutely ZERO right to collect them. The SCOTUS ruled in 1960 that an individual has no right to collect what they paid into social security; the same applies to Medicare. Congress can eliminate the programs without paying another dime to anyone at anytime.

Since: Feb 11

They call me Hill Billy

#94 Mar 12, 2013
Jim Hayden wrote:
<quoted text>
We did we had several copies and the court through them out because they were copies and not originals.
Here is some food to think about. You can either continue to prove me wrong and get us nowhere or we can start working together to improve things for our fellow Veterans and our men and women in uniform. I have been at this for over 40 years now and I do know what I am doing.
Back just a few years ago a group of 20 plus military retirees refused to work with the rest of us and we all ended up on the losing end of the stick. We needed to come together back 20 years ago when myself and other tried to bring the disabled Veterans and retired Veterans together to fight as one. so now you have a second chance. Join us or get the f out of our way.
That's a very pretty tie, Jim.
Walmart? Or did you win it at the county fair?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#95 Mar 13, 2013
Whoa Up wrote:
<quoted text>
As I understand it, the main goal of the health plan (Obamacare) is to make the freeloades pay for coverage they already steal from others by not paying doctors and hospitals; putting their expenses upon the already insured.

I hope you are not defending freeloading?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#97 Mar 14, 2013
june wrote:
<quoted text>this is incorrect.some doctors wont accept tricare!an example is i took my grandaughter to a clinic.i gave them her moms tricare card,mom is active army,and they wouldnt honor it!after raising my voice so other patients could hear,i told them that it was bad that they wouldnt treat someones child whose mom had done 2 tours in iraq and was still in iraq and all i had was her tricard id!they were shamed by this and treated her but said they wouldnt honor tricare?there was no charge but not because of tricare?
Bummer, June, but good for you. Where are you supposed to take her?
Ron Paul Republican 2016

Sparks, NV

#98 Jun 18, 2013
Jim Hayden wrote:
<quoted text>
We did we had several copies and the court through them out because they were copies and not originals.
Here is some food to think about. You can either continue to prove me wrong and get us nowhere or we can start working together to improve things for our fellow Veterans and our men and women in uniform. I have been at this for over 40 years now and I do know what I am doing.
Back just a few years ago a group of 20 plus military retirees refused to work with the rest of us and we all ended up on the losing end of the stick. We needed to come together back 20 years ago when myself and other tried to bring the disabled Veterans and retired Veterans together to fight as one. so now you have a second chance. Join us or get the f out of our way.
F You!
Ron Paul Republican 2016

Sparks, NV

#99 Jun 18, 2013
Jim Hayden wrote:
<quoted text>
F Off!
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#101 Feb 20, 2014
Jim Hayden wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is Jim Hayden and I AM the next American President
Darn it. What happened?

:-(
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102 Feb 20, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Military Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Military Coup Against Donald Trump of 2018,... 49 min INFIDEL 99
News Divers Search U.S. Navy Ship for Sailors Missin... 4 hr Fake Marine Corps... 3
News North Carolina Air National Guard C-130s take f... 4 hr C130 fan 1
News The Latest: Singapore helicopter evacuates 4 in... 14 hr John McQuan 2
News Researchers find wreckage of WWII-era USS India... Mon CodeTalker 1
News Massive counterprotest upstages Boston "free sp... Sun boston nazis 1
News Even astronomers viewing Seattle's 1860 eclipse... Sat Gov Corbutt of th... 2
More from around the web