Should Soldiers Be Armed At Military Posts?

Apr 3, 2014 Full story: National Public Radio 85

For John Lott, Wednesday's mass shooting at Fort Hood was a test of personal beliefs that struck uncomfortably close to home.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
radiofreeamerica

Tarpon Springs, FL

#1 Apr 3, 2014
Should birds have wings?Should horses have legs?What kind of society wants to know if soldiers should have guns?
Liberals Are Deranged

Sayville, NY

#3 Apr 3, 2014
I know one thing. Liberals should never be armed anytime, anywhere. Liberalism is a dangerous mental disorder, and a clear and present danger to a normal society.
Cat74

Roselle, IL

#4 Apr 3, 2014
As long as we have crazy people, and Muslim sympathizers running around free on the base, or anywhere else, we need to arm everyone. The lily livered liberals are not going to protect you. You have to protect yourself.
Keith

Wahiawa, HI

#5 Apr 3, 2014
It would be foolish for soldiers to carry their firearms while on a non-combat theater base.

Who here wants to be the MP that wants to disarm the highly trained soldier of his weapon during a domestic dispute on base? or someone going through an episode after being on combat duty for too long.

Ever tried to disarm a Ranger from his rifle when he is in the zone? doesn't work out very well.

There are reasons for this and somehow giving every soldier a weapon while on base with their families isn't going to solve the problem.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 3, 2014
Keith wrote:
It would be foolish for soldiers to carry their firearms while on a non-combat theater base.
Who here wants to be the MP that wants to disarm the highly trained soldier of his weapon during a domestic dispute on base? or someone going through an episode after being on combat duty for too long.
Ever tried to disarm a Ranger from his rifle when he is in the zone? doesn't work out very well.
There are reasons for this and somehow giving every soldier a weapon while on base with their families isn't going to solve the problem.
So what's he gonna do, when another Muslim or crazie opens fire? Just die peacefully cause he has no weapon to fire back? I guess you think only the shooter should have the gun. What's wrong is the mental health facility for these guys. That guy wanted help-God knows he needed it. This is all on Obama for not making the base secure and not helping the guys who come back from war.
Jedothek

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Apr 3, 2014
Many of us, I assume, see the ill-advised character of not allowing soldiers to go armed on base. We have a tendency to dismiss this kind of policy as liberal nonsense; But most actions have an intelligible motive if you dig deep enough. I therefore suggest the following. Troops are usually unarmed on military bases because the highest levels (e.g., secretary of defense, president ) r afraid of mass mutinies in a crisis ( such as a societal collapse in which soldiers are ordered to confiscate civilians’ weapons), and wish to control the access even of soldiers to weapons.
Cat74

Roselle, IL

#10 Apr 3, 2014
The area on military bases are not non combative any longer with crazy doped up mental patients, and angry Muslims running around. They need to protect themselves.
Snakes and Arrows

Houston, TX

#11 Apr 3, 2014
A soldier should retain the right to be armed at all times because they can be potential targets wherever they may be, even on military posts. Still another no-brainer that will have the libtards forever stumped because they don't have the common sense of billy goats.
dem if u do dem if u dont

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 4, 2014
ha ha ha , now we gonna have an Army without guns on the bases since the gov can't keep the crazies away /out
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#15 Apr 4, 2014
Um heck yes..
Why are they not? I think both democrats and republicans can agree military people should be armed on military bases.
Taggert

Schertz, TX

#16 Apr 4, 2014
Why are they in the Army without arms? Are the issued prosthetics? Anyhoo. Have you seen the caliber of today's "soldiers"? Single mothers, loafers, and kids who have run out of job options. We should question whether they should be used to carry scissors.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#17 Apr 4, 2014
Keith wrote:

Soldiers should have the same second amendment rights as the rest of us do on base. If the have a CAC they should have the right to carry their personal weapon in accordance with the state the base is in or their state of records state.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 4, 2014
Jedothek wrote:
Many of us, I assume, see the ill-advised character of not allowing soldiers to go armed on base. We have a tendency to dismiss this kind of policy as liberal nonsense; But most actions have an intelligible motive if you dig deep enough. I therefore suggest the following. Troops are usually unarmed on military bases because the highest levels (e.g., secretary of defense, president ) r afraid of mass mutinies in a crisis ( such as a societal collapse in which soldiers are ordered to confiscate civiliansÂ’ weapons), and wish to control the access even of soldiers to weapons.
You are a hoot. You don't make sense but you are funny. If any given soldier steps out the main gate at Ft. Hood he can legally carry a weapon if he has a cac. Same soldier, same mental state, same capabilities.

Location hidden

#19 Apr 4, 2014
Taggert wrote:
Why are they in the Army without arms? Are the issued prosthetics? Anyhoo. Have you seen the caliber of today's "soldiers"? Single mothers, loafers, and kids who have run out of job options. We should question whether they should be used to carry scissors.
You need a front line to charge Sgt. York.
Keith

Wahiawa, HI

#20 Apr 4, 2014
see the light wrote:
<quoted text> So what's he gonna do, when another Muslim or crazie opens fire? Just die peacefully cause he has no weapon to fire back? I guess you think only the shooter should have the gun. What's wrong is the mental health facility for these guys. That guy wanted help-God knows he needed it. This is all on Obama for not making the base secure and not helping the guys who come back from war.
What are they going to do when they have that weapon? Both instances took place with soldiers attacking soldiers, both while in uniform. So tell me smart guy, who's going to know who is shooting whom?

What a wonderful idea to put everyone in the same clothing and arm them with guns and then try to filter out who is shooting whom in a middle of a firefight in an urban environment. I wonder if you could tell who is the one that started what if you just entered a building? hell if you just entered a room?

Heck if I wanted to start a small war on base if they are all armed I would form a group of maybe 4 take some fireworks and knife, cut ourselves some, pop some fireworks off and run around screaming that there are a group of soldiers shooting people, repeat this in 4 locations and make sure to point at the other building where one of your buddies are telling the same story and watch the firefight begin.

Rinse and repeat and you have at least day long maybe two day long chaotic mess that would have to be sorted out without anyone knowing what really happened. Hell toss in a story that it was a soldier dressed in an MP uniform and you could have a stand off for even longer.

But as long as they have their guns then it's all worth it, so they killed a few people that were innocent and were just looking to protect others in the process because someone told them lie.

Never mind that you completely missed the point about what an MP's job is like. What seems to be the problem with people like you is that you think that being armed is going to solve all the problems.

I especially liked you heaping this on the president, like he was the one checking cars at the gate for firearms. I hold him accountable for this like I hold a gun shop owner for selling guns perfectly legally to someone,which is none. Who is to blame, the person using the gun or the gun owner for selling him the gun?
Keith

Wahiawa, HI

#21 Apr 4, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Soldiers should have the same second amendment rights as the rest of us do on base. If the have a CAC they should have the right to carry their personal weapon in accordance with the state the base is in or their state of records state.
Bases are run outside of normal laws, for obvious reasons. Most of the bill of right's does not apply while on a military base, including and not limited to the second amendment. This is why MP's may search your home, your vehicle, your clothes, and your bags at anytime without your permission as a soldier on base.

Only by order of the president, act of congress, highly ranked military officers like a general or base commander can soldiers be armed in a non-combat theater base.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#22 Apr 4, 2014
radiofreeamerica wrote:
What kind of society wants to know if soldiers should have guns?
You find reading difficult, don't you, dear?

There is more than a few reasons why the guns are locked up no matter where soldiers and sailors.

Location hidden

#23 Apr 4, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a hoot. You don't make sense but you are funny. If any given soldier steps out the main gate at Ft. Hood he can legally carry a weapon if he has a cac. Same soldier, same mental state, same capabilities.
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Of course, how would you know, Au Dumbo? the closest you have come to serving your country was in the toilet of the train leaving Great Lakes and a very lonely and confused E-1 with a weekend pass.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#24 Apr 4, 2014
Allowing private firearms on a military installation
is not a good idea. That could lead to all kinds of mayhem.

The other guns are the property of the military and the military
can decide who gets them and when.

Location hidden

#26 Apr 4, 2014
Eighthman wrote:
<quoted text>
Ft. Hood shooter - Registered Democrat – Muslim.
Nope.

Wipe your chin, eggman.

Maybe if you stomp your feet some more?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Military Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Russia sees U.S. military threat, warns Ukraine 9 min OliverCromwell 13
Alabama firm wins $153M Wright-Patt contract, e... 2 hr The New Cool Warrior 3
Orval Amdahl, 95, of Lanesboro Thu dick brown class... 1
Brrr! February brought record cold, snow to Nor... Wed Righteous 39
The 1978 Fort Dix / McGuire AFB Incident (Apr '11) Wed Nutters Compass 7
11 UFO Photos Unearthed From the Air Force's... Wed Nutters Compass 2
Unchecked Checkpoints: A Federal Appeals Court ... Wed Cuauhtemotzin 1
More from around the web