Pa. town adjusts to Pentagon furlough...

Pa. town adjusts to Pentagon furloughs but worries about what's next

There are 65 comments on the Stars and Stripes story from Jul 13, 2013, titled Pa. town adjusts to Pentagon furloughs but worries about what's next. In it, Stars and Stripes reports that:

Ted Gold, a technician at the Letterkenny Army Depot in south-central Pennsylvania, has dropped cable television service and plans fewer summer outings with his 6-year-old son for amusement rides at Hersheypark.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stars and Stripes.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#1 Jul 15, 2013
Instead of helping the country the Obama sequester is causing families strife. I wish the President's Party would do as Ted is doing and adjust their spending habits to coincide with reality.

Since: Oct 08

Pennsylvania

#2 Jul 15, 2013
Article said the work still has to get done in same time frame and there's a hiring freeze~sounds like OT in the future to me, maybe that'll make up some of the difference.

Cburg in the "Stars and Stripes"...

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 17, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
Instead of helping the country the Obama sequester is causing families strife.
The Obama sequester? The White House and democrats are very much against the sequester and it's republican congressmen (and some governors) arguing that the sequester is "no big deal." Take Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, or Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who both claimed that federal agencies have plenty of flexibility to implement these cuts and that it was Obama who was attempting to "distort" the severity of the sequester. Rand Paul (R-KY) doesn't think the sequester cuts enough. John Cornyn (R-TX) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) both expressed pleasure with what sequestration accomplished: deep spending cuts without the need to compromise by taking a balanced approach to budget reform.

Now I'm not saying that BOTH republicans and democrats aren't to blame - they are. They are very much to blame. Both parties have allowed sequestration to occur because there are perceived political advantages for both, all while intentionally hurting our economy. The main difference is that the republicans in congress support the sequester.

As for perceptions, according to polls, 49% of Americans blame the GOP for the sequester, with 31% blaming the president.
C-Burg

Biglerville, PA

#5 Jul 21, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
Instead of helping the country the Obama sequester is causing families strife. I wish the President's Party would do as Ted is doing and adjust their spending habits to coincide with reality.
Wouldn't less spending (more cuts) make it tougher for ole Ted?

Since: Jul 12

Portland, Oregon

#6 Jul 21, 2013
The general wants everything, but doesn't want to pay for anything. Blame Obama
Say What

York, PA

#7 Jul 22, 2013
Eff,

YOUR President, OH GREAT ANNOINTED ONE and his party came up with the sequester idea as part of the debt negotiations!

The R's called their bluff and the D's refused any real cuts, so sequester kicked in!

The Republicans offered a bill that would have given YOUR ANNOINTED ONE the sole authority to decided where sequester would be applied and HE is the one that cleary communicated HE would veto it!!!

So, we can't aford to pay for various programs, but YOUR ANNOINTED ONE and his royal family can take a $100M vacation to Africa and now, they're head to the Vineyards, again!!!

Oh yea, that's right, we're all making sacrifices!!!!!

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Jul 22, 2013
Say What wrote:
Eff,
YOUR President, OH GREAT ANNOINTED ONE and his party came up with the sequester idea as part of the debt negotiations!
The R's called their bluff and the D's refused any real cuts, so sequester kicked in!
The Republicans offered a bill that would have given YOUR ANNOINTED ONE the sole authority to decided where sequester would be applied and HE is the one that cleary communicated HE would veto it!!!
So, we can't aford to pay for various programs, but YOUR ANNOINTED ONE and his royal family can take a $100M vacation to Africa and now, they're head to the Vineyards, again!!!
Oh yea, that's right, we're all making sacrifices!!!!!
Behold the power of the rightwing propaganda machine - the common wingnut will actually BELIEVE the alternate history they're peddling.

LMAO!

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#9 Jul 22, 2013
Dan, answer this question, please:

Where did the idea of the Sequester originate?

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
Dan, answer this question, please:
Where did the idea of the Sequester originate?
The President suggested it. But of course the idea would have gone nowhere if the Republicans hadn't agreed to it. There were plenty of other ideas that went nowhere because both sides didn't agree, weren't there?

So answer this question please: who fought against implementing the sequester every step of the way? And who cheered for it?

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#11 Jul 22, 2013
Thank you for answering my question truthfully. That is all.

The idea came out of the White House.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
Thank you for answering my question truthfully. That is all.
The idea came out of the White House.
Thanks for living up to my expectations and running away from my questions.

Like always.

LOL!

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#13 Jul 22, 2013
I didn't ask for a debate. I asked you a question and you answered, truthfully I might add.

Thank you.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
I didn't ask for a debate. I asked you a question and you answered, truthfully I might add.
Thank you.
What debate? There's no debate. I just asked you a question and you're dodging it.

Just like always.

Just like the coward you are.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#15 Jul 22, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
What debate? There's no debate. I just asked you a question and you're dodging it.
Just like always.
Just like the coward you are.
Interesting, when you find you are in a situation in which you cannot defend your position, you immediately resort to name-calling. That will be duely noted.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#16 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, when you find you are in a situation in which you cannot defend your position, you immediately resort to name-calling. That will be duely noted.
Just following your lead, friend. It's the pattern YOU set in our relationship. It's a little late to cry about it now. LOL!

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, when you find you are in a situation in which you cannot defend your position, you immediately resort to name-calling. That will be duely noted.
And for the record, I absolutely CAN defend my position. It's easy to do because it's the truth.

Too bad you have no familiarity with that, huh? LMAO!

BTW - find the courage to answer my questions yet?

No?

I didn't think so. LOL!

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#18 Jul 22, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Just following your lead, friend. It's the pattern YOU set in our relationship. It's a little late to cry about it now. LOL!
You continue to claim I started the name calling, and I continue to disagree.

A little late for you though.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#19 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
You continue to claim I started the name calling, and I continue to disagree.
That's an accurate description of our positions.

Of course my position has the advantage of being true. Maybe when I have more time I'll find the posts to jog your weak memory.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#20 Jul 22, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
You continue to claim I started the name calling, and I continue to disagree.
A little late for you though.
Still no answers to my questions?

What a surprise.

LOL!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#21 Jul 22, 2013
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

It can really be as black or white as you want it to me. Isn't politics great? On one hand, the sequester did, sort of come from the White House. But it was in response to a Republican congress who refused to raise the debt limit without spending cuts - an unprecedented demand. A committee was formed to draft as solution and they couldn't - Boehner couldn't get the GOP in line thanks to hard line Tea Partiers, and Democrats didn't want any domestic programs cut so they sat on their hands.

I don't consider myself a fool though - and I have a hard time seeing the legitimacy in blaming Obama when the actual sequestration happened as a result of congressional inaction.

And just as an aside, these budget talks are basically designed so responsibility is ambiguous. Take this short, informational video for example:



Ultimately it's congress's job to compromise. I see the Tea Party's unwillingness to do so more of a roadblock than anything else. If Obama shoulders some of the blame, it's mainly his inability to work out such a compromise which is part of his job. But would the Tea Party EVER agree to a comprosimise? I guess that's up to you and your politics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Military Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Memorial Day ceremonies have personal touch 20 min Birds Landing Bob 3
News Officials: Dozens of labs received potentially ... 2 hr bob 1
News Survey: Bad leadership drives soldiers to leave (May '11) 13 hr Army Sucks 38
News Blatter's 17-year rule in soccer marked by grow... 17 hr Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Marine Thrown Out Of The Military For Not Remov... 22 hr goonsquad 48
News Pakistani woman found mentally unfit for NY trial (Nov '08) Mon Lion 3
News Cuban official daily says removal from U.S. bla... Sun L I G E R 1
More from around the web