Email to Navy upsets St. Marys, Ga. o...

Email to Navy upsets St. Marys, Ga. officials

There are 61 comments on the Stars and Stripes story from Oct 23, 2013, titled Email to Navy upsets St. Marys, Ga. officials. In it, Stars and Stripes reports that:

An email sent to officials at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay by the lawyer representing the St. Marys Airport Authority has drawn the ire of city officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stars and Stripes.

Sasquachee

Kingsland, GA

#23 Oct 26, 2013
Lucy wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong the base ask the water tower out on point peter because of security. Is that water tower still standing? Anyone think why Hase and the others put up a fight to get it built. Anyone think could be because help them sell a few lots and fuck the rest of us.
I agree with Tommy's point on it.I the head of navy comes and says close airport or we will think of moving base. Until then shut up and move on
"...the base ask the water tower out on point peter...?

"Anyone think could be because help them...?

My best guess is...I think you are right that the base wants to date the water tower...because help them get some.
Navy Issue

Saint Marys, GA

#24 Oct 26, 2013
If the airport is an issue it is the Navy's problem. They should deal with it and they should pay for it. After all they have the advantage of giving no tax money to this community.

If they left we would most likely have the deep water port that we once had on that base. We would have ware houses and lots of room for expansion.

I think in the private sector the area would flourish. Just look at Brunswick Georgia when the Navy left the area they almost doubled in size in a short period of time.

So if the Navy is going to use the "We going to close the base card" tell them to do it.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#25 Oct 26, 2013
Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple - Sell the airport property and pay down the water and sewer debt.
To sell the Airport, you'll need clear title. The FAA might have an issue there. You'll also need a buyer, and other than the Navy, I don't see where anyone else would be interested in the property.
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#26 Oct 28, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
The airport authority is worse than useless. The council should either replace them all or do away with the whole authority and run the airport themselves.
Problem is the City jumping around about the Airport moving or staying. That is not the Authority. They have to try and manage an airport the City has killed. Remember this is same bunch that took away the Gilman property from Calvin Lang. Put the blame where it belongs.
Anon Attorney Fees

Kingsland, GA

#27 Oct 28, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Problem is the City jumping around about the Airport moving or staying. That is not the Authority. They have to try and manage an airport the City has killed. Remember this is same bunch that took away the Gilman property from Calvin Lang. Put the blame where it belongs.
Besides, I'm making money off the Airport Authority, I need the money and I don't give a shit about other St Marys Citizens.
Disguisted

Saint Marys, GA

#28 Oct 28, 2013
Anon Attorney Fees wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides, I'm making money off the Airport Authority, I need the money and I don't give a shit about other St Marys Citizens.
That is a joke. No attorney fees have paid in over a year. all you have to do is make a request to the Airport Authority and that will confirm that.
anon

Kingsland, GA

#29 Oct 28, 2013
Disguisted wrote:
<quoted text>That is a joke. No attorney fees have paid in over a year. all you have to do is make a request to the Airport Authority and that will confirm that.
The airport authority's legal bills for 2012 totaled over $26,000. The majority of these bills were paid less than one year ago. The authority's financial reports are not up to date with the city so we have no way of knowing what their total legal expenses will be for 2013.
Scarecrow Time

Kingsland, GA

#30 Oct 28, 2013
That's St Marys government for you: lying, cheating, stealing from un-elected authorities, boards and committees. Our elected City Council seems totally unaware and strung out. Maybe they can get a clue when they head to Atlanta for another Georgia Municipal Association party. All paid for by the St Marys taxpayer, of course.
Oh come on

Kingsland, GA

#31 Oct 28, 2013
Isn't it time to get over the fact that you lost your last bid for a council seat, Jeremy?
anon

Kingsland, GA

#32 Oct 28, 2013
Oh come on wrote:
Isn't it time to get over the fact that you lost your last bid for a council seat, Jeremy?
Jeremy lost his only bid for a council or any other seat. He is not cut out for public office.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#33 Oct 28, 2013
Clipper wrote:
Using the Navy as an excuse for moving the airport has always been a false premise. Commenting on local safety issues that effect Base security is far different than actively supporting the closure of a civilian entity.
There is absolutely no difference in Base security between the threat from the Intercoastal Waterway and the airport of St. Marys. Yet the Navy doesn't seek support for the closure of that portion of the ICW that directly borders the Base. Instead they have done exactly what is required with the airport by placing operational restrictions in effect.
St. Marys Airport Authority with their hired hand Stein is not only barking up the wrong tree but embarrassing the City as a whole.
Sorry, I did not mean to disagree
Saint Mary

Kingsland, GA

#34 Oct 28, 2013
Stank Marys corruption. Will it ever stop?
Greased Lighting

Saint Marys, GA

#35 Oct 28, 2013
I think we should all take a deep breath and allow things to settle down.
Corruption Watch

Kingsland, GA

#36 Oct 28, 2013
Stank Marys is a little city being run by special interest represented by non-elected Authorities, Boards and Committees.

This has been going on for decades. The real estate cartel has had their claws deep into city hall since early 1980. The RE cartel have had their persons inside city government to do their bidding be it rezoning, special impact fees or breaks on water sewer lines and hookup fees.

Generally those who seek appointment on the boards, committees and authorities do so for personal gain. The downtown mafia have managed to spend a disproportionate amount of tax revenue on the downtown area to the neglect of outlying subdivisions. Outlying subdivisions have often been treated like milk cows for downtown development.

The average homeowner taxpayer has not been represented for years at city hall.
Corruption Watch

Kingsland, GA

#37 Oct 28, 2013
Greased Lighting wrote:
I think we should all take a deep breath and allow things to settle down.
How is that Greased Lighting? Do you still think a deep breath will allow things to settle down?
Who Cares

Saint Marys, GA

#38 Oct 28, 2013
St. Marys is just one screw up after another. Until the clean house and get some new people with a better attitude nothing is going to change. I say run them all off if they can't come around by the end of the year.
Anon

Kingsland, GA

#39 Oct 29, 2013
Disguisted wrote:
<quoted text>That is a joke. No attorney fees have paid in over a year. all you have to do is make a request to the Airport Authority and that will confirm that.
Yeah, lawyers are well known for volunteering their services to city authorities and working for free. Nice try.
Tea for two

Saint Marys, GA

#40 Oct 29, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
The airport authority's legal bills for 2012 totaled over $26,000. The majority of these bills were paid less than one year ago. The authority's financial reports are not up to date with the city so we have no way of knowing what their total legal expenses will be for 2013.
The authority did not create the mess the City of St. Marys did trying to play big brother to the Navy what a croc the Navy can take care of itself don't need any help from some rag tag city council.
Disguisted

Saint Marys, GA

#41 Oct 29, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
That is false. No such amount was paid to any one. Reports are current and the City keeps the books. This is just an outright lie.
Disguisted

Saint Marys, GA

#42 Oct 29, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, lawyers are well known for volunteering their services to city authorities and working for free. Nice try.
All you have to do is make a request for the information and you can find out what attorney fees were paid. If you think there were fees paid then get the information and publish it. That would resolve that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Military Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hanau says goodbye to U.S. troops (Nov '08) 4 hr Wayne 1,485
News China Expands Naval Power to Waters U.S. Dominates (Apr '10) 15 hr Go Blue Forever 3,286
News On This Day: McCollum Memo Delivered (Feb '15) 18 hr Cynthia 3
News Board delays decision on mosque after contentio... Fri Abul Abbas 1
News Royal Navy nuclear submarine in 'glancing colli... Jul 21 Hostis Publicus 2
News Most smokers don't stick with e-cigarettes Jul 21 Elise Gingerich 2
News Red Flag 16-3 night operations Jul 21 Elise Gingerich 1
More from around the web