Canada ahead of US in allowing women in combat

Feb 10, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Albany Times Union

In this undated photo provided by Canadian Armed Forces Capt. Ashley Collette, she poses for a photo with children during a patrol in Afghanistan.

Comments
21 - 25 of 25 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justice

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

kristy wrote:
Im not even sure there's weapon of mass destruction in Iraq
you're right, its no longer in Iraq. That's why we're moving in on Syria now. The chase never ends.

Iraq's WMD Secreted in Syria, Sada Says

By IRA STOLL, Staff Reporter of the Sun | January 26, 2006

Print Send Comment
Share Share

The man who served as the no. 2 official in Saddam Hussein's air force says Iraq moved weapons of mass destruction into Syria before the war by loading the weapons into civilian aircraft in which the passenger seats were removed.

The Iraqi general, Georges Sada, makes the charges in a new book, "Saddam's Secrets," released this week. He detailed the transfers in an interview yesterday with The New York Sun.

"There are weapons of mass destruction gone out from Iraq to Syria, and they must be found and returned to safe hands," Mr. Sada said. "I am confident they were taken over."

Mr. Sada's comments come just more than a month after Israel's top general during Operation Iraqi Freedom, Moshe Yaalon, told the Sun that Saddam "transferred the chemical agents from Iraq to Syria."

Democrats have made the absence of stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq a theme in their criticism of the Bush administration's decision to go to war in 2003. And President Bush himself has conceded much of the point; in a televised prime-time address to Americans last month, he said, "It is true that many nations believed that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. But much of the intelligence turned out to be wrong."

Said Mr. Bush, "We did not find those weapons."

The discovery of the weapons in Syria could alter the American political debate on the Iraq war. And even the accusations that they are there could step up international pressure on the government in Damascus. That government, led by Bashar Assad, is already facing a U.N. investigation over its alleged role in the assassination of a former prime minister of Lebanon. The Bush administration has criticized Syria for its support of terrorism and its failure to cooperate with the U.N. investigation.

The State Department recently granted visas for self-proclaimed opponents of Mr. Assad to attend a "Syrian National Council" meeting in Washington scheduled for this weekend, even though the attendees include communists, Baathists, and members of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood group to the exclusion of other, more mainstream groups.

Mr. Sada, 65, told the Sun that the pilots of the two airliners that transported the weapons of mass destruction to Syria from Iraq approached him in the middle of 2004, after Saddam was captured by American troops.

"I know them very well. They are very good friends of mine. We trust each other. We are friends as pilots," Mr. Sada said of the two pilots. He declined to disclose their names, saying they are concerned for their safety. But he said they are now employed by other airlines outside Iraq.

The pilots told Mr. Sada that two Iraqi Airways Boeings were converted to cargo planes by removing the seats, Mr. Sada said. Then Special Republican Guard brigades loaded materials onto the planes, he said, including "yellow barrels with skull and crossbones on each barrel." The pilots said there was also a ground convoy of trucks.

The flights - 56 in total, Mr. Sada said - attracted little notice because they were thought to be civilian flights providing relief from Iraq to Syria, which had suffered a flood after a dam collapse in June of 2002.
The Republic of Nomads

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Be it as it is.

Some women kick most mens ass. But the true problem with womem on the battle ground is.

Most men still protect the weaker sex and at times will put there life on the line defending them.

I have no problem with them in battle as long as the male soldiers are trained not take any notice of the high pitch screamiing as it travles a long way.
Hello World

Pickering, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Women are certainly weaker physically and arguably weaker mentally than men.

If a large scale war breaks out they would be more useful to the war effort back home on the manufacturing end.

For smaller scale conflicts such as what we deal with now, I say go for it.
Fritz

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

I was a parabat in the SADF. I fought in Angola in 1988 and let's just say that the stuff we done to each other there, any women would just scream just by looking at the 'leftover'.

Women don't belong in warzones, they don't look right wielding guns, they just cant compare to men. I've seen my share of street brawls, bar brawls, club brawls, you name it and no tough tank top wearing heroine show up and roundhouse kick a bullying male like in Hollywood movies. NEVER.
Ahomona fat ugly turd

Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Canadians love to bend over and spread their cheeks for the indian migrants. Canadians love to take it up the butt.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••