Jodi Arias trial: Graphic phone sex tape with Travis Alexander played for jury

Feb 13, 2013 Full story: Examiner.com 15

On Feb. 12, 2013, the Jodi Arias murder trial continued, with the jury hearing an audiotape that featured phone sex between Arias and the man she's accused of murdering, Travis Alexander.

Full Story
Anon

Bridgewater, NJ

#1 Feb 13, 2013
Arias does not come across as a woman coerced into having sex on the tape. Alexander sounds like a normal 30 year old guy with a very healthy sex drive and fantasies. He sounds tired during the call, as if she had awakened him, and she doesn't want to let him get off the phone. She constantly directs the conversation to sex, and herself, seeking compliments. She wants him to marry her, because she states that she worries she'll never find anyone else to marry who she is sexually attracted to and compatible with like Travis, in the Mormon church, and she infers that he won't either. However, he doesn't respond. She keeps talking about love and marriage, even with the songs that she selects to discuss and sing, and then in an almost subliminal threatening message, she brings up the angry "You Oughta Know", an Alanis Morissette song. He was incredibly nice to her, not controlling, not threatening, and repeatedly tells her how beautiful and desirable she is. It's clear that, even though they broke up, she is making herself available for sex, and seems okay with it, and what normal guy wouldn't take advantage of the friends-with-benefits route, until he formed a genuine adult relationship?

Bottom line: She didn't want to let him go, either on the phone or in life, and the sex, role playing and fantasies between the two were consensual. This tape helped the prosecution. I don't buy that he directed her to record the conversation. There is an audible noise in the background, and then she covers herself by saying it is her charger. Why wouldn't she tell him outright that it was the recording she was making, if he insisted she do so? There is something very wrong with her, but it isn't any type of PTSD, it seems more like a personality disorder. She is 1000 miles away from him when she makes contact in order to record a sex tape. Who does that when they are in fear of their lives? Who requests that the "abuser" visit them, when on the road to some other destination, when they are out of harm's way, finally?

She appears to be a controlling manipulator, who used sex to reel him in, keep him connected, and not a victim.

It's interesting that she never once testified about her extreme fear of Alexander. She never testified that she felt any violence was her fault at the time of such events, which is typically expressed by victims of Battered Woman Syndrome. She was emotionally dependent on Alexander for kudos, not vice-versa. He wasn't begging for compliments, she was. Alexander told her to see other people and never threatened her when they separated; when normally this would be the time when abusers are most dangerous. Even when she recalls the time that they were "boyfriend" and girlfriend, and another man was interested in Arias, it was never discussed that Alexander ever threatened her, or made her feel responsible for those circumstances, which would be common for abusers. Also notable, within the tape, was that Alexander never masturbated before he met Arias. That's pretty telling about his past sexual inexperience, as is the introduction of personal lubricants by Arias.

The expert witness who will testify that this was a case of Battered Woman Syndrome will be doing a horrible disservice to real victims of domestic violence, including all of the women who suffer in silence, and aren't believed, and Alexander as well. I can't imagine risking one's professional reputation on a case like this.
Right

Washington, DC

#2 Feb 13, 2013
Healthy fantasies? He talks about fantasizing about a 12 year-old girl having her first orgasm!
Anon

Bridgewater, NJ

#3 Feb 13, 2013
Right wrote:
Healthy fantasies? He talks about fantasizing about a 12 year-old girl having her first orgasm!
Actually, he stated that she sounded like a 12 yo girl having her first orgasm and then he immediately laughed after saying so. It sounded as though, to not insult as her as having behaved or sounding like a juvenile or thinking it was silly, and potentially hurting her feelings, he then followed up with "hot". Nowhere did he ever say that he was sexually interested in 12 yo girls. I don't think you caught the nuance there.
At any rate, one stupid statement is not indicative of pedophilia. In fact, there is no way of knowing if previously in their role playing acts, Arias expressed that she enjoyed pretending to be a 12 yo. It's clear that she initiated the kink, and directed the phonecall toward sex in the first place.
Anon

Bridgewater, NJ

#4 Feb 13, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he stated that she sounded like a 12 yo girl having her first orgasm and then he immediately laughed after saying so. It sounded as though, to not insult as her as having behaved or sounding like a juvenile or thinking it was silly, and potentially hurting her feelings, he then followed up with "hot"..
Admittedly, that was horrible wording and too late to edit to:
It sounded as though, to not insult as her as having behaved or having sounded like a juvenile or silly, and potentially hurting her feelings, he then followed up with "hot".
Oasis

Pinetops, NC

#5 Feb 14, 2013
Right wrote:
No kidding!!!
TA sure gets a pass on a lot of his behavior.
From everybody.
A 30 Y/O MORMAN man should be long past his "confusion".
He was her mentor into the Wonderful World of Mormonism, so to speak.

AND, PPL.

I kind of believe the self-pleasuring to the photos story.
I saw a pic, supposedly of TA, and I think his pubic area is shaved.

That said, JA should die, too.
She was not innocent to the ways of the world and so easily manipulated.

Taboos fall like dominoes....
Anon

Bridgewater, NJ

#7 Feb 15, 2013
PT 2:

But if we look at his religion, and the imposed sexual repression, it makes biological sense that if a beautiful woman comes along, offers no holds barred sex within 72 hours of introduction, she might be irresistible to a guy who probably suffered frustration. Arias wasn't rich, wasn't influential, enjoyed no special social status, wasn't highly educated, and did not have religion in common with Alexander, so her sole power was in her looks, sexuality and charm to hook him. Compared to her existing relationship at the time, fraught with financial difficulties with a man who testified that he didn't have an interest in marriage, Alexander might have looked like a "catch", with his financial stability, status within this subculture, and surrounded by people who looked up to him as a speaker.

If we switched genders around, with Alexander pursuing her, lavishing her with gifts and charm, being the perfect considerate lover and boyfriend at the onset, then slowly ingratiating himself in every aspect of her life, spying on her phone and internet interactions, showing up unannounced at her home, cajoling her to marry him, telling her no one will be as good to her as him, secretly recording conversations for blackmail or humiliation, not accepting a break up, then driving a 1000 miles to murder her, would anyone question whether he was the actual manipulator and abuser? He could also get on the stand and testify to her promiscuity, sexual kinks, pedophilia, psychological manipulation, physical abuse and his own experience of a chaotic childhood, but how many people would automatically believe that what he had to say must be the truth? I think that there is inherent gender bias that shouldn't be ignored. So he wasn't perfect, maybe he was even a jerk, but if Arias really didn't like all the things she was doing, and didn't say so, how was he supposed to know?

Arias may have had a lousy childhood. But that fact alone does not prove that she was a perpetual victim as a result. People who experienced terrible childhoods with abuse or neglect, in combination physiological markers, can also develop personality disorders and become manipulative abusers. Why, without corroboration and evidence, is everyone so ready to accept Arias' testimony that this was characteristic of Alexander, and not Arias? After all, he ended up with 29 stab wounds and was almost decapitated. He's the one who is dead. Immediately after the carnage, the killer drives miles away, begins pursuing another man and is, sexually, the aggressor. What's wrong with this picture?
Anon

Bridgewater, NJ

#9 Feb 15, 2013
Sorry for the double post. It didn't show up correctly initially.
zoozoo

Franklin Lakes, NJ

#10 Feb 15, 2013
If she gets aquitted (remember sandi ?) then there is no justice in this country
Anon

Bridgewater, NJ

#13 Feb 15, 2013
I am perplexed as to why the first part of my comment was deleted. I didn't attack anyone, nor use foul language. Can a moderator respond here? I would like to how I violated terms so that I can avoid it in the future.
sista drudge

Warren, MI

#14 Feb 20, 2013
This judge is almost as good as just edge Ito. Talk about no control...7933
sista drudge

Warren, MI

#15 Feb 20, 2013
She should accept the 2907hint and get lost..
Cock A Doodle

Spring, TX

#17 Apr 1, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he stated that she sounded like a 12 yo girl having her first orgasm and then he immediately laughed after saying so. It sounded as though, to not insult as her as having behaved or sounding like a juvenile or thinking it was silly, and potentially hurting her feelings, he then followed up with "hot". Nowhere did he ever say that he was sexually interested in 12 yo girls. I don't think you caught the nuance there.
At any rate, one stupid statement is not indicative of pedophilia. In fact, there is no way of knowing if previously in their role playing acts, Arias expressed that she enjoyed pretending to be a 12 yo. It's clear that she initiated the kink, and directed the phonecall toward sex in the first place.
JA has done a great job of planting the seeds that he is a pervert. I'm sure if everyone had every email, text and phone conversation put out for the world to see, there might be some things that would look bad. My question is how did they get all of this massive amount of data and why is Travis Alexander on trial instead of JA?

Did she tape the phone call?

I think maybe she planned this all out as the only way of getting notoriety, maybe a book deal, etc. since she has nothing else going for her. I wish part of her sentence would be not being able to $$ financially benefit from any of this. And life in prison with no hope of parole.
Black Spanx

Spring, TX

#18 Apr 14, 2013
I believe the tape was doctored along with most everything else.
Some of the writings that were supposed to be TA's were found to be forged.
She is hell bent for leather in destroying him, especially now that he is not around to defend himself.
Sammi

Altamonte Springs, FL

#19 Apr 21, 2013
I believe JA was the sexual aggressor in the relationship. TA was inexperienced & I'm sure they fell into those roles naturally. I think she was very vocal about fantasies & he was on board with them. A school girl fantasy is not abnormal & probably one of the most common... I think he said something in the moment that he would have never said about or to an actual 12 year old. I am not Mormon so I realize I'm not used to knowing people who save sex for marriage. IMO, what travis said & did (in context with who he was) is minimal. Truly. How it is even a factor in such a horrific gruesome murder is surprising to me. Don't get me wrong- I wish it wasn't! I would much rather live in a world with stronger values... just speaking from my experience :)
Ewan Et Ev

Spring, TX

#20 May 13, 2013
The voice says unidentified male. She probably set him up.
How's that working out for her? The first part was him, but it appears
she added a part and it was someone else. What a liar.
She gave up her life to ruin someone else's.

Also, I have read that another ex was killed, this time with a 9 mm.
What caliber of weapon did she get the second round? 9 mm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how many nurses have had lost there license bec... (Aug '07) 3 hr sad123 2,221
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) 16 hr your mum 1,949
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee-Stalling problems! (Feb '08) Wed Ree 311
Jodi Arias (Jan '13) Wed cooc 256
Rosemary Vogel Tue Paul 1
Review: Tempe Powersports And Marine Dec 23 Warren 4
Inaccurate prenatal tests lead moms to abort fe... Dec 22 kody 1

Freeze Warning for Maricopa County was issued at December 25 at 2:21PM MST

Mesa Dating
Find my Match