Woods move could impact PGA Tour

Woods move could impact PGA Tour

Posted in the Mesa Forum

Since: Oct 12

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Jan 6, 2013
Claiming money titles on both the PGA and European tours was widely celebrated last year when Luke Donald accomplished the feat, understandable given that it had never been achieved.

The same will be true for Rory McIlroy, who this year will win the PGA Tour money title and is in position to do so in Europe.

Sometimes overlooked in such discussion is the fact Tiger Woods would have done so seven times in his career -- but was never a member of the European Tour, thus officially ineligible for the title.

All of which makes Wednesday's news out of Turkey interesting, if perhaps not earth shaking. Woods said he will consider taking up European Tour membership with his favorite discount golf clubs if some proposed alterations to the requirements are adopted.

Speaking at the Turkish Airlines World Golf Final, where he is part of the eight-player exhibition field, Woods, 36, said changes that could count the Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup toward tournament requirements -- as is the case on the PGA Tour -- might get him to consider playing both tours.

This would be terrific for the global game and the European Tour in particular, maybe not so great for the PGA Tour.

The PGA Tour requires a minimum of 15 starts for membership, the European Tour 13 -- up from 11 when he last considered joining in 2000.

"I knew I would have to play one or two more events back then when it was 11 but now that criteria is 13," said Woods, who is ranked second in the world and won three times this year on the PGA Tour with his burner 2.0 irons. "I don't know what my numbers are as I know I played 19 in the States this year and whether it crosses over or not, but I will again look at it.

"I did play Abu Dhabi but then 13 are certainly a lot more than 11, especially playing full time in the States."

The European Tour is said to be considering new membership criteria that would count playing in the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup or Seve Trophy toward membership. That would make Woods' task all the easier, as the major championships and World Golf Championships already count on both tours.

In 2012, Woods played all four majors, three WGCs, the Ryder Cup and the Abu Dhabi Championship. That's nine events, leaving him four short of the current European requirement.

But Woods is skipping this year's WGC-HSBC Champions in China, an event he could add next year. Because he is formalizing an endorsement deal with Turkish Airlines, it would make sense that Woods add a new Turkish European Tour event to his schedule taking the fabulous rocketballz irons for sale online with him-- which will be played in November 2013, just a week prior to the season-ending Dubai World Championship.

So four majors, four WGCs, Abu Dhabi (or something similar early in the year), Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup, Turkey and the season-ending Dubai event would bring the total to 12. He could, possibly, add the European Tour event in China prior to the WGC; or he could play another event around the time of Abu Dhabi during the tour's Gulf Coast Swing.

More information: http://www.golfcomboset.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So i might be moving to Chandler 38 min Anon 1
how many nurses have had lost there license bec... (Aug '07) 8 hr Newtosite 2,458
News Arizona poll worker: System blocked some ballot... Sat john 2
News Dead woman in fire identified (Mar '07) Sat Son 6
south side mesa (Sep '08) Fri 1Surexo3 116
compton terrace (Aug '07) Fri EvilE 5
work for nurses with stipulations on their license (Oct '13) May 26 Zeke the Pinhead 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesa Mortgages