Chronic Testicular Pain

Since: Jul 10

United States

#83 Sep 5, 2010
Maybe removal would cure pain for allof us, you can live without them
Colby Yelm WA

Yelm, WA

#84 Sep 6, 2010
I have this problem too. Three years ago I was diagnosed with bilateral varicoceles after I began feeling a pretty significant amount of pain suddenly. I had the surgery to remove them and initially I felt better. But, when I resumed normal activities the pain came back. My urologist then reffered me to the pain clinic where I was given gabapentin, mobic, lyrica, celebrex, and ultram. I also, had three nerve blocks and a spinal cord stimulator temporarily implanted. None of these treatments did any good except the stimulator, but because of my circumstances in the military I elected not to have it permanently implanted. The plain has slowly progressed for the past two years. I have been bounced around by Primary care Docs, Urologists, and Pain Doctors. I recently began being see at a new hospital and they did an additional ultrasound which revealed a new varicocele on the right sight and a venus plexus on the left. I then underwent a left epididomectomy a few months ago in hopes of finally getting better and it has only worsened. It has become almost unbareable. Now all they do for me is give me pain killers. It is completely miserable and don't understand why I can't get any relief. I am going to the UW Medical Center this week to ask about doing the Stimulator again. Don't know how much longer I can live like this. It cost me my career and is damaging my relationship with my family. Does anyone know of anything else I should do???!!!
Anonymous

Hastings, NE

#85 Sep 8, 2010
butchered wrote:
Please please please consider dr antolak at the map clinic in mn. I thought I was in pain until I was disabled by this procedure. He can help.without surgurey and I was sent to him by mayo clinic. I found out many. Of us are misdiagnosed. WWW.painphysicians.com Dr Stanley antolak. I am sorry about the spelling but am unable to sleep from the pain from this procedure ..I can not tell you the doctor who did this but make sure you see Dr antolak as he is with out a doubt the best doctor I have seen and is worth it. I pray you do not make the same mistake I did when. Lied to about surgery....
Please email me about what you had done with Dr. Antolak. My husband has had a right orchiechtomy with no relief. He is currently in more pain than he has been in over the past 2 years. We want something normal back in our lives & don't know where else to turn. [email protected]
Anonymous

Hastings, NE

#86 Sep 8, 2010
Pete wrote:
After 14 docs, a total hip replacement and every test in the book, I have hit the medical journals and have found a likely diagnosis for the testicular pain (which is excrutiating for the last 2 years): pudendal nerve entrapment. A team from Nantes France and Houston TX have pioneered the work on the area. They will have to do a block under ct-scan of the pudendal nerve and potentially surgery. After 2 years of heavy, heavy daily narcotic use and excrutiating pain, there is a potential for a solution. Unfortuantely, the 3 neurologist and 4 urologist didn't even know what pudendal nerve entrapment was. So, if you want to find a solution to your problem hit the books and do your research because docs are generally clueless about testicular pain (even the head of urology departments at well known medical school hospitals).
Can you tell me more about this? [email protected]
James186282

Red Oak, IA

#87 Sep 9, 2010
How was the Orchiectomy done? Was it scrotal (Through an opening in the scrotum?) or inguinal? Opening above the pubic hair? The way they do this is very important based on what I've read. Inguinal allows the surgeon to fish out most of the cord and cut high so little is left to dangle around causing future pain. Scrotal Orchiectomy is a poor percentage for cure rate unless the doctor is using special tools to go up into the inguinal canal and cut high. It makes little sense however since inguinal lets you do this. If he has more pain post op get back into a doctors office and see if they can do a laproscopic removal of the cords. Find out of the other testicle is causing pain btw.

Good luck!
Brian

Babson Park, MA

#88 Sep 27, 2010
Hey man, have you had any relief yet? I have the same exact situation and I'm 27 yrs old, I had an inguinal hernia that caused a little pain, I had surgery and was in stabbing pain afterwards. I went to a Uro and had a varicocele removed along with the nerves in my spermatic cord which she said she reserves for people who have a varicocele along with pain. I still had pain. I started going to the pain clinic and had a few injections and took nerve pain meds (amitriptyline, tegretol) and I couldn't take it anymore so they told me about a surgeon who will cut the nerve. I went to see him and he did a surgery which left a big scar on my groin and he cut the nerve. It didn't help and I'm still in pain. I'm back on the nerve pain meds and they aren't doing anything. My pcp thinks it is phantom nerve pain since my nerve was cut, but my spinal cord is still firing incorrect pain signals. He wants the meds to calm the nerve down, but I don't know if they will or if I am not at a high enough dose. Let me know if you are still having your pain man I'd like to exchange what has helped/not helped.
Brian

Babson Park, MA

#89 Sep 27, 2010
ABY wrote:
I am having a similar kind of problems and doctors said they can't do anything. I am a 29 year old male. I had a right inguinal hernia surgery in 2006. After that the pain never went away. I went to so many urologists and they diagnosed that I have Varicocele. I went through another surgery (this time to remove varicocele)and but it didn't work out. From last two weeks I am having too much pain in my left testicle. I went to emergency room last night and no body could find anything. They have given me some pain killers but is not working at all. I am also seeing a pain management specialist but nothing positive as of yet. But my pain in my left testicle is too much. Can anybody help please?
Thanks
Hey man, have you had any relief yet? I have the same exact situation and I'm 27 yrs old, I had an inguinal hernia that caused a little pain, I had surgery and was in stabbing pain afterwards. I went to a Uro and had a varicocele removed along with the nerves in my spermatic cord which she said she reserves for people who have a varicocele along with pain. I still had pain. I started going to the pain clinic and had a few injections and took nerve pain meds (amitriptyline, tegretol) and I couldn't take it anymore so they told me about a surgeon who will cut the nerve. I went to see him and he did a surgery which left a big scar on my groin and he cut the nerve. It didn't help and I'm still in pain. I'm back on the nerve pain meds and they aren't doing anything. My pcp thinks it is phantom nerve pain since my nerve was cut, but my spinal cord is still firing incorrect pain signals. He wants the meds to calm the nerve down, but I don't know if they will or if I am not at a high enough dose. Let me know if you are still having your pain man I'd like to exchange what has helped/not helped.
Anonymous

Hastings, NE

#90 Sep 28, 2010
James186282 wrote:
How was the Orchiectomy done? Was it scrotal (Through an opening in the scrotum?) or inguinal? Opening above the pubic hair? The way they do this is very important based on what I've read. Inguinal allows the surgeon to fish out most of the cord and cut high so little is left to dangle around causing future pain. Scrotal Orchiectomy is a poor percentage for cure rate unless the doctor is using special tools to go up into the inguinal canal and cut high. It makes little sense however since inguinal lets you do this. If he has more pain post op get back into a doctors office and see if they can do a laproscopic removal of the cords. Find out of the other testicle is causing pain btw.
Good luck!
It was inguinal. It was a radical right orchiectomy, robotic. Two days after I wrote about it he went to a local doctor who did a manipulation of his nerves in his back & then to the pain dr. who did an epidural to shut those nerves down temporarily. His pain has gone down dramatically. He was scheduled to go in & have another epidural, but he didn't because he is getting better & doesn't want to risk something making it worse. He thinks the surgery is finally working & maybe one of the other things did something with his nerves to help with phantom pain. Two weeks ago he was on 80 mg of oxycotin 3 times a day & rated his pain at an 8, today he is taking an 2, 40mg of oxy in the am & 1- 40 at night. He is getting ready drop down to just 1 40mg, bid & still doing well.
anl

Dallas, TX

#91 Oct 26, 2010
sounds like an inguinal hernia!
has this resolved these past 4 yrs??
FLOOD -- Los Angeles wrote:
Hi:
Hope you can help! I am male, 52 years old. Chronic periodical right testicular pain for about 15 years. Recently pain has become constant, for over 6 months now. Pain is exacerbated by sexual activity, also by sitting at desk for extended periods.
History of urinary tract infections/prostatitis. No hematuria. No infection. PSA levels normal. Ultrasound reveals small right spermatocele. CT scan reveals very small bilateral calculi. Urology MD consultation assessment: abnormalaties not severe enough enough to cause pain.
Testicular pain is accompanied by right sided pain in low back, right groin, right hip, right flank. Pain radiates down right leg into knee. MRI scan reveals congenitally narrow spinal canal with some facet hypertrophy, some end plate irregularities. Physical Medicine MD consultation assessment: abnormalities not serious enough to cause pain.
Current plan is to have steroid injection in spine just on the CHANCE of relieving testicular pain. In your opinion, do my symptoms absolutely indicate no urologically related problem serious enough to cause testicular pain, and is the plan of treating this as a muscular/skeletal problem the right one?
bigbalz

Waterloo, Canada

#92 Nov 2, 2010
butchered wrote:
Please please please consider dr antolak at the map clinic in mn. I thought I was in pain until I was disabled by this procedure. He can help.without surgurey and I was sent to him by mayo clinic. I found out many. Of us are misdiagnosed. WWW.painphysicians.com Dr Stanley antolak. I am sorry about the spelling but am unable to sleep from the pain from this procedure ..I can not tell you the doctor who did this but make sure you see Dr antolak as he is with out a doubt the best doctor I have seen and is worth it. I pray you do not make the same mistake I did when. Lied to about surgery....
What surgery did u have that made it worse?

Since: Jul 10

Salem, WV

#93 Nov 4, 2010
I have had intermittent testicle pain in both sides since I had a vascetomy in japan some years ago, my wife was talking to the doctor, she told him that I had always been quick to ejaculate,that maybe this operation would slow my climax.He told her he could do what he called a modified vascetomy and slow me down,if I wanted I agreed to please my wife,turned out he cut the vas and the supension cords so my testicles would not retract on climax, it has been difficult for me to ejaculate ever since, and pain has been fairly constant.
Ben C

Sheffield, UK

#94 Dec 13, 2010
Hi, im 22 and have had chronic pain in my left testicle for 9 years, it affects my lower back and groin and also affects my right testicle but not to the extent of the pain in my left, i have had pretty much every test going, around 9 different types of anti-biotics and numerous types of pain relief. After all this time I am now being refered to a chronic pain management programme, I read alot about this matter and all I see is doctors washing their hands of people with these problems, There doesn't seem to be any advancements in this area, Why is it affecting so many people yet nothing is or apparently can be done. As i have sufferd from the pain for so long I have asked on numerous occasions to have my testicle removed but always get the same answer "It would not help and you would still have the pain". All i hope is that chronic pain management can help as after 9 years the pain is still continuing to progress to the point where i can no longer work,sleep or play with my daughter for longer than 10 minutes. More research programmes need to be done!
James

Red Oak, IA

#95 Dec 20, 2010
Ben C wrote:
Hi, im 22 and have had chronic pain in my left testicle for 9 years, it affects my lower back and groin and also affects my right testicle but not to the extent of the pain in my left, i have had pretty much every test going, around 9 different types of anti-biotics and numerous types of pain relief. After all this time I am now being refered to a chronic pain management programme, I read alot about this matter and all I see is doctors washing their hands of people with these problems, There doesn't seem to be any advancements in this area, Why is it affecting so many people yet nothing is or apparently can be done. As i have sufferd from the pain for so long I have asked on numerous occasions to have my testicle removed but always get the same answer "It would not help and you would still have the pain". All i hope is that chronic pain management can help as after 9 years the pain is still continuing to progress to the point where i can no longer work,sleep or play with my daughter for longer than 10 minutes. More research programmes need to be done!
Your doctor is misinformed. I had an orchiectomy (Inguinal) and it DID cure the pain. At least when I had it done the medical text listed Inguinal Orchiectomy as having a high rate of cure.
Check out the forum I set up for men who have Orchialgia (Chronic Pain / Testes) in the files section is the doctor's "Playbook" which lists the mainstream treatments for this. BTW It includes Orchiectomy but only when the easier and less destructive treatments fail.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Orchialg...
There are also a couple of PDFS of studies which show what treatments work and which ones are not so hot. I went over this with my surgeon btw. He wasn't keen on doing an Orchiectomy at first.
If NHS allows it work with a pain doctor and your GP. If they are willing to use the playbook try going through all the treatments (in order) and find one that works. Don't accept "We can't do anything" until you get to the surgical list - if that happens ask to speak to a urologic surgeon who (Hopefully) has experience. Large teaching hospitals etc are good bets.
William

Fukushima, Japan

#96 Jan 10, 2011
I had an inguinal orchiectomy for my pain in October 2010, I have been pain free since.

I am on HRT and have no real issues now.

bilateral orchiectomy is not the end of the world.

But I am married with a kid and my wife has had a hysterectomy
ArtFreelancer

Katy, TX

#97 Feb 15, 2011
I have had the same exact pain as everyone has described above for 8 years. Originally I had chronic testicle pain in the my left testicle which the doctors believed was caused by a varicocele. The performed a left vein ligation which caused my left testicle to subsequently die. The pain still resides in the lower left hand side of my abdomen and now my right testicle is have the same chronic pain. No matter what I do, exercise, sitting still, standing, stress, no-stress, sitting down, the pain is always there fluctuating between 'hurting' and 'disruptive'. My wife and I are at the end of our ropes. If there is any advise out there or help, please, we could use some. We have also heard of rhizotomy (?) does this work?
William

Japan

#98 Apr 12, 2011
ArtFreelancer wrote:
I have had the same exact pain as everyone has described above for 8 years. Originally I had chronic testicle pain in the my left testicle which the doctors believed was caused by a varicocele. The performed a left vein ligation which caused my left testicle to subsequently die. The pain still resides in the lower left hand side of my abdomen and now my right testicle is have the same chronic pain. No matter what I do, exercise, sitting still, standing, stress, no-stress, sitting down, the pain is always there fluctuating between 'hurting' and 'disruptive'. My wife and I are at the end of our ropes. If there is any advise out there or help, please, we could use some. We have also heard of rhizotomy (?) does this work?
What is your urologist supporting? I have found by talking to other men from the USA that your medical system does not support orchiectomy.
You have had the left testicle removed?
You can still bank sperm etc.
My wife had already had a radical hysterectomy so she was supportive of my orchiectomy.
There are a lot of options:
- constant meds, hard on the liver and for me the side effects were terrible
- no meds, not really an option
- nerve blocks, 3 nerves have to be hit, literally shooting blind though if they hit them all this is the usual diagnostic test for orchiectomy
- surgery to cut the 3 nerves done by Dr. P in Florida, expensive and has only 83% cure rate
- spinal implants to modulate pain, more expensive than Dr. P would have been
- the other options are usually without much success

Life without testicles is not really all that different than with them if you take hormone replacement therapy. I get injections and it is all fine, I was getting too high a dose which led to some anger/ rage issues but since I halved the dose it is all fine. Better than living on lyrica or the like being stoned all the time.

Since: Apr 11

Toledo, OH

#99 Apr 21, 2011
I'm 40 and have had this for 15 years. I write this in the hope that someone can help. It started with a noticeable pain in my left hip flexor that was only painful to the touch. My left testicle would occaisonaly become swollen and sore with a pulling feeling on the cords. Ejaculation would sometimes be painful with occasional burning sensations. I was continually diagnosed with prostate infections. The flare ups would come and go with no apparent reason and severity and duration would vary. Things became progressively worse and the pain was now also in my left leg and up into my left rib. In 03 a surgon found a hernia and said he would also look for anything causing the pain, he found nothing. In 04 a lump appeared in the left hip that turned out to be synovial sarcoma. After surgeries and much radition the left hip is now missing much of it's original mass. I have been through pain management and that didn't work, one even got me to 600 mg of Lyrica before my body gave out. The spells are now accompanied by a rash around the head of my penis. I have been tested for STD's and 3 different doctors said I had herpes until the test came back negative. Please help this has taken my life. More than one GP has given up. Mayo is a joke. My last er trip again shows swelling in the testes with no apparent reason and only an offer of more pain meds.
William

Japan

#100 Apr 21, 2011
Tcbb wrote:
I'm 40 and have had this for 15 years. I write this in the hope that someone can help. It started with a noticeable pain in my left hip flexor that was only painful to the touch. My left testicle would occaisonaly become swollen and sore with a pulling feeling on the cords. Ejaculation would sometimes be painful with occasional burning sensations. I was continually diagnosed with prostate infections. The flare ups would come and go with no apparent reason and severity and duration would vary. Things became progressively worse and the pain was now also in my left leg and up into my left rib. In 03 a surgon found a hernia and said he would also look for anything causing the pain, he found nothing. In 04 a lump appeared in the left hip that turned out to be synovial sarcoma. After surgeries and much radition the left hip is now missing much of it's original mass. I have been through pain management and that didn't work, one even got me to 600 mg of Lyrica before my body gave out. The spells are now accompanied by a rash around the head of my penis. I have been tested for STD's and 3 different doctors said I had herpes until the test came back negative. Please help this has taken my life. More than one GP has given up. Mayo is a joke. My last er trip again shows swelling in the testes with no apparent reason and only an offer of more pain meds.
600mgs of lyrica? Did it help? I was on up to 350mgs with sleeping pills as well, I felt high or hungover all the time.

To me it sounds like a nerve issue. There are still a lot of medical mystery surrounding nerves as there are no real diagnostic tests for them. I am sure the cancer and the surgery did not help.

Back in June 2007, that was my final diagnosis "testicular edema" due to my pain, orchiectomy was recommended by 2 of 3 urologists thus I had surgery the next day. After pathology it was written up as "nerve damage from previous surgeries"

What are you thinking about as options now? Is orchiectomy something you would consider?

Since: Apr 11

Toledo, OH

#101 Apr 22, 2011
William, the lyrica did not help they just kept feeding more until I went into a fetal position at work one day and somebody had to bring me home. My pain management doctor at the time said it couldn't be the lyrica but all the side effects stopped when I stopped the lyrica. I have yet to find anyone that has taken that level I definatley do not recommend it, I know it works for some people, but not me.
I have not considered orchiectomy. I don't think my problem is my testes. Im afraid that a orchiectomy, would be doing just what all the doctors have been doing, treating the symptoms, with out finding the problem.
I currently take prescription pain meds way more than I want. Accupuncture seems to help only minimally but I continue with it once week during flare ups, it definatley helps the lymphdema I have in that leg that was a result of the cancer.
So I'm out of options. I am also at ropes end. This quality of life is no life at all. Last night was yet another sleepless night.
William

Japan

#102 Apr 22, 2011
Tcbb wrote:
William, the lyrica did not help they just kept feeding more until I went into a fetal position at work one day and somebody had to bring me home. My pain management doctor at the time said it couldn't be the lyrica but all the side effects stopped when I stopped the lyrica. I have yet to find anyone that has taken that level I definatley do not recommend it, I know it works for some people, but not me.
I have not considered orchiectomy. I don't think my problem is my testes. Im afraid that a orchiectomy, would be doing just what all the doctors have been doing, treating the symptoms, with out finding the problem.
I currently take prescription pain meds way more than I want. Accupuncture seems to help only minimally but I continue with it once week during flare ups, it definatley helps the lymphdema I have in that leg that was a result of the cancer.
So I'm out of options. I am also at ropes end. This quality of life is no life at all. Last night was yet another sleepless night.
Yeah I know that is the idea with pain meds, more is better. But the meds can actually short out the nerves and become a source of pain.

I know that there is a risk to the orchiectomy not curing the pain. It is about 11% of the cases or lower though. I thought those were betting odds in my case.

Wish you luck

The only other option they had for me was spinal injections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has anyone had a spermatocele (Epididymal Cyst)... (Oct '09) 8 hr Candi 261
Orchiectomy for Chronic Testicular Pain? (Jan '09) Nov 5 Gego 94
post ejaculation, I pee, then I just FEEL like ... (Sep '06) Nov 4 maryland 1,242
Castration via microwaves Nov 4 Martin 1
ruptured testicle (Jul '06) Oct 30 Jercules 22
Dull ache and heavy sensation in scrotal area (Jan '17) Oct 29 Opiatenut 2
Low abdominal/groin pain with low ejaculate vol... (May '16) Oct 29 Kkk 6
More from around the web