Sex Before Prostate Exam

Sex Before Prostate Exam

Posted in the Urology Forum

Suspicion

Kansas City, MO

#1 Aug 9, 2008
Has anybody ever been told not to have sex for a 24 hour period before a prostate exam because ejaculation can cause inflammation? My bf has had prostate trouble in the past. He recently went in for a checkup, but warned me ahead of time that for the 24 hour period before the exam he was not to have sex. I have had other reasons recently to suspect he is seeing someone else and wondered if he used this an excuse for not having our "most every night" encounter. Am I just being overly suspicious? Could this really be the doctors' orders?
Kenny

Brea, CA

#2 Aug 30, 2008
Yes, it certainly could be doctor's orders. Having an ejaculation within 24 hours of a PSA (blood test for prostate), changes the results of the test. Maybe you need to pay a little more attention to your boyfriend's health, rather than your own selfish desires. Idiot!!!
Gary

AOL

#3 Nov 12, 2008
A friend of mine informed me of the same thing only he indicated no sex 3-5 days before prostate exam. I was unaware of this until he told me. I have never been advised or told by my Doctorand I get yearly exams, but I amgoing to ask him before my exam in January!! So check it out first before you get in your boyfriends ass about cheating! lol
Suspicion wrote:
Has anybody ever been told not to have sex for a 24 hour period before a prostate exam because ejaculation can cause inflammation? My bf has had prostate trouble in the past. He recently went in for a checkup, but warned me ahead of time that for the 24 hour period before the exam he was not to have sex. I have had other reasons recently to suspect he is seeing someone else and wondered if he used this an excuse for not having our "most every night" encounter. Am I just being overly suspicious? Could this really be the doctors' orders?
Ken

Laurel, MS

#4 Jun 16, 2009
Johns Hopkins says not to have sex within 72 hours of a PSA test. It's in one of their White Papers on prostate health.
Ken

Laurel, MS

#5 Jun 16, 2009
Here's the quote from Johns Hopkins site:
"THE 2009 JOHNS HOPKINS PROSTATE DISORDERS WHITE PAPER

You can preview now risk-FREE.

IMPORTANT NEW FINDINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW NOW:

READ ABOUT THE TREATMENT ADVICE THAT SHOULD SAVE MEN WITH EARLY PROSTATE CANCER FROM MAKING ANY IRREVOCABLE DECISIONS TOO HASTILY —YOU'LL FIND IT EXPLAINED BELOW!

READ ON...

Simeon Margolis, MD, PhD
Professor of Medicine and Biological Chemistry,
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Medical Editor, The Johns Hopkins White Papers

Dear Concerned Health Alerts Reader,

Did you know...

Having sex within 72 hours of your PSA test can produce a false reading?

Erectile dysfunction can be a symptom of prostate cancer?......"
citizen

Moneta, VA

#6 May 24, 2010
Suspicion wrote:
My urologist at Johns Hopkins is one of the world's best and he told me not to have sex for three to four days before a PSA test since it can give a false reading that makes the patient think he is okay, when in fact this may well not be true. On 28 April I had the robotic assisted radical prostatectomy (RALP) and the doctor thinks he got all the cancer. I had a gleason score of seven and and four of my 12 tissue samples tested positive for cancer. If I had it to do over I would get a biopsy as soon as my PSA level reached 3. Waiting for a reading of four cut things way too close for my liking!!! Once you hit 50 you should get a PSA test every six months instead of once a year. If your health insurance won't cover it then pay for it yourself! Your life is worth it.
tarden

Reading, UK

#7 Dec 18, 2011
Sex before PSA test can give false reading. This has happened to me once as my partner and I got carried away once night before PSA test.
Peter

Liverpool, UK

#8 Dec 23, 2011
Suspicion wrote:
I was told my my GP that not to have sex for three days before nor to lift heavy weights or go cycling. I thought he was joking but he wasn't
Peter

Liverpool, UK

#9 Dec 23, 2011
I was told by my GP no sex for three days, lifting heavy weights or to go cycling prior to exam
RRPat50

Brandon, FL

#11 Oct 9, 2012
My urologist at Johns Hopkins is one of the world's best and he told me not to have sex for three to four days before a PSA test since it can give a false reading that makes the patient think he is okay, when in fact this may well not be true.???
This is confusing. WHat I am told is it can give a false elevated reading. Can yo double check with your doctor?
Also, what about post prostatectomy? Does it matter any more? I am told no sex 72 hours prior, but no mention of Post Prostectomy.
I am told women can have an elevated PSA after orgasm also. Yes, women have PSA.
Post Prostatectomy, the reading used to be < .1, but has been raised to < .2 for Nerve Sparing, as pioneered at Johns Hopkins.
I'm told "sex" within 72 hours prior to PSA can elevate up to 1 full point. When you are measuring in fractions of the numbers, is it not possible that you could get a false elevated reading?
Professor of Medicine

Clermont-ferrand, France

#12 Dec 2, 2012
The original post is from 2008, for years ago. I am wondering if the poor man in Kansas city took care of the biggest threat to his health: the woman ("suspicion") who posted the question.
62withBPH

Orlando, FL

#13 Jan 2, 2013
I understand that it is not sex per se but ejaculation that is the culprit. For me, that means giving my hand the cold shoulder. And he likes it several times a day!
Steve

Owings Mills, MD

#14 Feb 24, 2013
Suspicion wrote:
Typically a physician wants 72 sex free hours of any kind including masturbation because of unreliable test results. I can't speak for your suspect other woman senario. Be happy for your most every night encounters.
Steve

Owings Mills, MD

#15 Feb 24, 2013
62withBPH wrote:
I understand that it is not sex per se but ejaculation that is the culprit. For me, that means giving my hand the cold shoulder. And he likes it several times a day!
Unfortunately you are right 62. Orgasming in any manner fouls up the test. Hats off to your active hand.
james

Canal Winchester, OH

#16 Mar 11, 2013
Why is it that the Doctor's don't warn men of this if pas is coming up at that time, less false reading less money spent going back and fourth to doctors office
Tgreg646

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Mar 26, 2013
James: Is it possible that even your doctor can be embarrassed talking to another man re such private sexual behavior as masturbation? Or, are they simply too busy to think comprehensively when talking to their patients? I've had several PSA tests over the years. My dr. has treated me for prostatitis with antibiotics after an elevated reading, with positive results, but he has NEVER told me about avoiding ejaculation. I was discussing my most recent slightly elevated test result with my brother (who has had prostate cancer); he told me about the effect of sex before the test. Too bad I didn't know this the night before the test when my partner and I had a fulfilling intimate session!
Eric

Tazewell, TN

#18 May 1, 2014
I'm on Hormone shots for prostate cancer. I had an orgasm that morning befoe my PSA test. It came out to 1.06 from a 3.5 would the 1.06 have been lower if I hadn't had the orgasm? I've only had one shot two months ago.
Aussie

Sinnamon Park, Australia

#19 May 22, 2014
Just been told by my doctor.

I think and will check but ejaculation prior gives a false higher reading.

apparently my last one was 6 and he wants to make sure it wasnt a higher reading due to getting frisky prior. At 43 its a long time since i've gone 3 days with out it haha!
Droogoy

Colorado Springs, CO

#20 Oct 5, 2015
All this information is out of date. The generally accepted time delay now is acknowledged to be 48 hrs.(2 days) between ejaculation and the pSA test. Read some of the recent literature that has come out!
Sharla

Woodland, CA

#21 Jun 19, 2017
Suspicion wrote:
My boyfriend has to refrain from ejaculation for a month for the prostate testing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has anyone had a spermatocele (Epididymal Cyst)... (Oct '09) 5 hr cps53 264
Prostatitis - half year of active treatment wit... (Mar '07) 21 hr enoch 82
Scalding skin in shower... (Jun '09) Dec 8 The Lex Express 16
permanent sclerosing lymphangitis (Jan '12) Nov 30 Hello 12
post ejaculation, I pee, then I just FEEL like ... (Sep '06) Nov 30 JustMe 1,243
jello like tubes, globules in my semen Nov 29 grrabit 1
pea sized lump on head of Epididymis but no pai... (May '08) Nov 20 Thanks 202
More from around the web