Testicles that feel "dead"

Posted in the Urology Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Phil A

Calgary, Canada

#1 Aug 1, 2007
Hi, I'm a 21 year old male, in relatively good health, except with slightly high weight and cholesterol. As well, I have the nerve disorder Tourette's Syndrome, which is being treated with the medications Tenex and Seroquel, and until this week the anti-depressant cipralex. I masturbate often, but haven't had sex (ruling out STD's). I have never seriously injured my groin area, but a number of times over the years its been hit enough to make it hurt.

I first noticed around November, that my testicles felt numb, dull; instead of being as sensitive as testicles usually are they barely felt even the pressure from touch.
They would also ache, from a few hours to as long as a day. Sometimes (usually after ejaculation) it was a sharp, excruciating pain, but most of the time was a very dull but still strong ache. The ache was both in each testicle (usually not at the same time), and the connections to the testicles in the scrotum. This ache was stronger when sitting, lying in a position, or wearing clothes tight enough , to put pressure on the testicles, and also was stronger during erection. Both testicles are smaller, harder, and much more loose than they were before November. The outside of the scrotum is redder than before and is very often itchy.

Now, in July, the testicles themselves do not ache, nor do they have any sensation at all, not even pressure (i can push on them quite hard before I feel anything at all). The rest of the inside of the scrotum aches, and my penis has been aching sometimes too. Over the past 6 months, all sexual sensations have lessened, until I now feel none at all. It has gotten harder and harder to ejaculate; I still can, but it is very forced and leaves my groin area with a strong dull ache. I still have libido, which is making my inability to orgasm very stressful.

In January, I informed my doctor, who examined them, and found nothing unusual. He ordered an ultrasound, which didn't turn up anything either. I was referred to a Urologist, who I finally got to see in June, however his examination and the hormone blood tests he ordered found nothing either. He prescribed Cipro (an antibiotic) for 6 weeks but that had no effect either.

If anyone could suggest any possible causes (light trauma, medication, anything), or any more tests I can tell my doctor to order, or anything at all to help, that would be greatly appreciated.
james

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 25, 2009
hahahahahaha don't do it Phil...!
just relax

Fremont, CA

#5 Jul 2, 2010
nothing to worry about... you're fine.. my story can be mapped onto yours cent per cent even the ultrasound bit.. you're fine.. give masturbation a break for atleast a month and you'll feel a difference... it helped me atleast... take care
christian

Doha, Qatar

#6 Jul 29, 2010
hi Phil. ive been having the same experience and i went to the doctor and had ultrasound already. but still the medicals didnt find anything. have you found youre cure and maybe you can help me also? thank you
Toons

Bristol, UK

#7 Sep 29, 2010
Whoa,.... I'm having the exact same problem! The only thing I can add on to that is that I now ejaculate a lot less than what I used to. I do use recreational drugs which I have heard play around with the testes in weird ways. But I guess since I've had these symptoms I've become obsessed with checking them for lumps almost constantly, which I guess doesn't help...

But practical advice time.

The things that DO cause testicular atrophy:
1)poor circulation to testes
2)low testosterone levels
3)high cortisol levels (which produces oestrogen)

and probably more besides this.

There is an exercise that increases circulation to that whole area. These are called kegels,... this has the added benefit of helping protect against prostate cancer, Gives you harder erections, and to ejaculate further (not bad huh?) look them up on google.

The other things you can try are taking zinc supplements, which increases testosterone production. And I would say just living a healthy lifestyle.

None of the above have I adhered to for very long because I suck at routine keeping, but there are a lot of people out there that swear by these things.

Hope this helps!
Toons

Bristol, UK

#8 Sep 29, 2010
christian wrote:
hi Phil. ive been having the same experience and i went to the doctor and had ultrasound already. but still the medicals didnt find anything. have you found youre cure and maybe you can help me also? thank you
Whoa,.... I'm having the exact same problem! The only thing I can add on to that is that I now ejaculate a lot less than what I used to. I do use recreational drugs which I have heard play around with the testes in weird ways. But I guess since I've had these symptoms I've become obsessed with checking them for lumps almost constantly, which I guess doesn't help...

But practical advice time.

The things that DO cause testicular atrophy:
1)poor circulation to testes
2)low testosterone levels
3)high cortisol levels (which produces oestrogen)

and probably more besides this.

There is an exercise that increases circulation to that whole area. These are called kegels,... this has the added benefit of helping protect against prostate cancer, Gives you harder erections, and to ejaculate further (not bad huh?) look them up on google.

The other things you can try are taking zinc supplements, which increases testosterone production. And I would say just living a healthy lifestyle.

None of the above have I adhered to for very long because I suck at routine keeping, but there are a lot of people out there that swear by these things.

Hope this helps!
Jay

Morris, IL

#9 Jan 5, 2011
Hey, I've been having similar symptoms as you. I had a dull aching pain that started about a week and a half ago, and now my testicles feel numb or "dead", as you put it. I can't get an erection by just looking at a hot chick or anything, I have to touch it and it seems to get erect that way, and when i orgasm, theres not much that cums out. I feel like i dont really have sexual stimulation anymore or something, like seeing a hot chick doesnt rev my engine anymore. I went to the urologist yesterday morning and he said they found blood in my urine which indicates a mild infection. I'm hoping that this infection didnt hurt my testicles to the point where I cant enjoy having sex or masturbation at all. Maybe you are having these problems too?
former stud

Sylmar, CA

#10 Jan 19, 2011
i have the exact same symptoms and the doctors didn't find anything. it's been about 5 years now; nothing has changed. i think it is because of masturbating too much that i did at younger ages, so number one thing is to stop masturbating if you can.
all the symptoms you describe are triggering a problem with prostate though. get a prostate check up. i haven't done it yet, but i should go for it. i'll let you know if i find out something.
2deadballs at gmail

United States

#11 Mar 24, 2011
Regardless of the cause, there is nothing that can be done to fix it. It's not like you can have a testicle transplant. Having had 2 dead balls for a long time I can only tell you that now I think of it as a blessing. I would not reverse back to before. Just give it time to settle in. Do not think yourself into oblivion. Life has much more to it than testosterone, erections, sexual activity. Now, you might think that this is a bizarre statement, but once you have experienced life without nature's sexual obsession, you will soon learn that life without testosterone, life without sex, is actually enjoyable. Hard to believe when nature has you by the balls, but really, from experience, I can tell you that you have only fear to fear.
Mark646

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jul 8, 2011
Have you taken propecia or finasteride?
Vince

Harrow, UK

#13 Nov 25, 2011
Hello guys,
Only a few days ago I had a very similar experience: I had pain on the right testicle. After a few hours the pain was gone, but it was clearly swollen and stiff. I could see the difference. I hoped it could be gone too after a few days, but it didnt. They say that you should call the doc immediately, and really, you SHOULD! Because if there is a torsion it can die in a 12h!! And I waited more than 5 days!!
AS soon as I went to the hospital, they made an operation and they told me that they kept my testicle for 5 min in a warmer place, after they untwisted it.
At the end I was lucky enough and it is still alive.
But It was a really close call for my right testicle.. Really, see the doctor... and don't waste any time.
OMG

United States

#15 Dec 23, 2011
Holy crap man..everything all of u r sayin is freakin me f**k out..I am freakin crazed right now..an it sucks cuz I ain't got insurance..man I'm screwed right now..well thanks for the advice ppl..I hope all of u feel well soon
emmy

Iyana, Nigeria

#16 Jan 3, 2012
guys i have been experiencing this problem for the past 5 months i just hope i will still be able to father a child. am scared.
hypochondriac

West Haven, CT

#17 Jan 12, 2012
I got this shit 2 4 over a year now, tried literally everything xcept surgery which i wont try but theres a test 2 c if theyre really dead, its called the cremaster reflex. What you do is stroke or rub the inside of your thigh and the testicle on that side is supposed to rise or jump up briefly. If ur testicles do this they are still very much alive nd recieving proper nerve response. Mine do not do this anymore but i can remember a time when they did. They still produce sperm nd all that but i have like no sensation theyve become totally unsensitive. U guys should try this reflex test on both sides and report back your findings to compare.
a guy

Newington, CT

#19 Mar 19, 2012
2deadballs at gmail wrote:
Regardless of the cause, there is nothing that can be done to fix it. It's not like you can have a testicle transplant. Having had 2 dead balls for a long time I can only tell you that now I think of it as a blessing. I would not reverse back to before. Just give it time to settle in. Do not think yourself into oblivion. Life has much more to it than testosterone, erections, sexual activity. Now, you might think that this is a bizarre statement, but once you have experienced life without nature's sexual obsession, you will soon learn that life without testosterone, life without sex, is actually enjoyable. Hard to believe when nature has you by the balls, but really, from experience, I can tell you that you have only fear to fear.
Bro, I salute you with higher respect than anyone I have ever met.
Brit lad

Tamworth, UK

#20 Mar 22, 2012
I started with exactly the same symptoms, I went to the sexual health clinic and the nurse said it was likely to be Chlamydia but as there was a lump also she sent me off for an ultrasound scan.

Anyway all STI tests from HIV to Chlamydia came back negative. The lump turned out to be two cysts and apparently there is a calcium stone floating around in there. I went back to the clinic and they just said theres nothing wrong and with only the one symptom of numbness there isn't anthing they can do. Although its only the one testicle that feels physically numb the whole ball sack feels dull and it doesnt seem to be hanging the same way, there usually up higher now and just look fatter. My penis and left thigh now also feel numb and im sure its spreading to the bottom of my left leg.

All I can find is nerve damage but my penis doesnt seem to be emptying after an erection properly I can only think of a circulation problem. But when it all feels numb its harder to guess.

I did read an article the other day on STI's like Chlamydia developing new strains that arn't showing on current testing methods which would mean we all suffer the testicle scaring from it and as its not a traditional strain may not appear to have any STI at all - but then I guess that doesnt apply to all of us on here and for the ones it might we may never find out and end up passing it on. Feels shit down there now just aches and is all numb kinda puts me off sex now and this is after just 6 weeks.
Numball one

Owen Sound, Canada

#21 Mar 29, 2012
Neermind ur balls being numb my entire body is fucked 80% of the time. I randomly lose weight and muscle mass. I get so stressed It takes me days to realize I have no sensation in my extrmeties.

I have periods of time where I focus on health and nothing else and sometimes I get a little better but there is always something horrifically wrong with me. My pace of life has slowed down I'm basically at home self hospitalized.

Got fired/quit because they aren't paying me enough for the pain I go through an I can't support my lifestyle anyways. I am underweight by atleast 20 lbs and used to be 40 lbs lighter at the same height.

I had some serious diseases I made worse with recreational drug use. I gained the 40 lbs and was actually doing really well until I got hypothermia and almost died.

Since then life has been really hard, my dick an balls work but not well. They hurt often and penis is shrinking. I know it has to do with nerves and circulation but I am not sure how to fix that.

I try relaxing working out and running but sometimes it makes me even worse unhealthy. All I seem able to do is sit around eat and try to heat my body to lower the stress reaction.

I am thinking about trying anti depressants or some form of stimulant and just going insane eating and working out as I have done inthe past. My legs are very strong just not calves . Shoulders but not biceps or forearms.

My goal is to balance out My body and do cario while taking drugs for my brain and hopefully that calms my nerves and gets my dick working again. He's always hiding it's embarrassing.

People also don't seem to like me these days and sometimes I seem crazy ... Just been through a lot of shit and maybe I have brain or nerve damage.

Good luck man. Try keeping your nuts warm... My body is not warm enough so I stay in front of the fire alot... How much that costs or how much I can keep this up before parents kick me out I don't know!!
sam

Worthing, UK

#22 Apr 12, 2012
okay i've had a problem that i should of checked a long time ago over two year ago i lost my virginity i cant remember how long its been but i have not got alot of feeling down their at all i can masturbate and ejaculate but i dont during sex head or a girl masturbating me i am 17 and i am afraid but their probally isn't anything anyone can do about it so should i bother going to hospital or not ?
42 ball struck

Ostrander, OH

#23 Jun 11, 2012
Same deal here, right side varicocele, major pain, left side painful "almond" on top of testicle. Closed down my business because can t do physical work without pain. Time to do something else I guess. ultrasound, antibiotics, urologist and cat scan all came back normal. Well, my balls arent normal so why do they say its all normal. Do doctors know what to do? I think not, just deal with it? Wtf! We r talking about balls here. How can anyone go thru life with ball pain like someone is squeezinh and pulling them all day? I know people deal with worse problems but this has changed my life and suicidal thoughts keep popping in my head. Hoping this will go away and waiting is just not happening. Three months in and keeps getting worse. No insurance , spent a small fortune and no results, I am pissed. I just don t see how tests come back normal. Seems like dr s don t even want to deal with. Probably going to have to go to pain mgmt, great , now I can b an addict with sore balls. Honestly , I d rather b gone from life. I wish I could find some answers . Everuthing I have read leads to no known fixes except surgery...what to do?
Why God Why

Hattiesburg, MS

#24 Oct 23, 2012
Had trauma to my right testicle during an altercation, since then it just hasn't felt right and hurts constantly, it doesn't retract the way it used to and just isn't in the same position. seriously feels like nerve damage or something. no bruising or swelling so it's not really dead or anything. but it is extremely uncomfortable and I can't get my mind off of it. Gone through 3 rounds of antibiotics so far and no progress. I am 20 years old and it really sucks that I will have to deal with this shit for the rest of my life. The urologists really don't give a fuck and I've already given them hundreds of dollars, urine tests, ultrasound, prescriptions, and they just say it's epidydimitis, bullshit... FML

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sensitivity in urethra at base of penis tip 6 hr Skippy 2
post ejaculation, I pee, then I just FEEL like ... (Sep '06) 8 hr Diegooo 1,015
Pain in left testicle (Sep '06) Apr 22 baela 256
News Bed-wetting blues: Millions of adults suffer, too (Feb '09) Apr 19 Andrew 48 147
epididymal cyst removel? (Jul '13) Apr 18 beachb 3
Unusual problem of Testicular pain (Dec '06) Apr 16 Shiv 370
4 months of persisitant pain after varicocele c... (Sep '07) Apr 16 Fin 54
More from around the web