Hemlock (Conium maculatum)

Hemlock (Conium maculatum)

Posted in the Toxicology Forum

Primitive Toxicology

Norborne, MO

#1 May 26, 2012
I've been experimenting with Conium maculatum since I discovered it after reading Poison Arrows - Native American Hunting and Warfare by David E. Jones.

So far I cant figure out how the Native Americans were able to use it. I've tried distilling it by boiling, I've tried drying and crushing the leaves to a powder, I've even tried juicing the plant stalks alone until they drip simple juice and even this has left me without a measurable change in my rats. Doesnt seem to bother them at all.

I was trying to find the LD50 of whatever technique the Native Americans would have used but I simply cant figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Does anyone have any tips at all on how the plants toxin could be used in primitive scenarios similar to that typical of the average Native American 200 years ago?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toxicology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What could be "Essence of the night shade" ? Jun '15 Pter22 1
Hypothetical questions for a new mystery novel Apr '15 Paul 1
Contaminated Land and growing food. Apr '15 Eric 1
Reverse and Cure Levaquin and Fluoroquinolone s... (Jan '14) Sep '14 floxie 11
blood volatile screen post mortem (Apr '14) Apr '14 Joan 1
autopsy repots (Jan '14) Jan '14 Linda 1
Impurity toxicity guideline (Oct '13) Oct '13 Atul 2
More from around the web