Nasal polyp removal
rupshen

Trenton, NJ

#443 Feb 5, 2010
Ramesh India wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
I am getting operated the 2nd time within a year, my polyps have grown back only in few months of my first surgety, after a vast research, I found that "Homeopathy" medicine works great for polyps, they not only shrink and vanish your polyps but after continuous use of 16 to 24months, you won't get them back for your life time, Google "Homeopathy medicine" you may get your smelling sensors working back very soon, good luck.
I had polyps surgery twice once in 2005 and in 2009. Again my doc says my polyps coming back. I heard from lot of ppl that homeopathy works. As a matter of fact I tried some homeopathy medicine for year didn't see any improvement. I don't what doctor prescribed as they don't have name. If you are confident about some medicine could you please let me know the name of medicine in homeopathy works for nasal polyps? Thanks
vicky

London, UK

#444 Feb 6, 2010
hi ive got my ct scan on the 16th feb then my op on the 24th feb im not worried about it at all as ive had many ops in the past but im more bothered about not being able to breath out my nose i hate it when ive got a cold and i cant sleep how long does it last also how likely am i to get black eyes?
im on a diet and ive been exercising how soon after can i get back to it eg bike walking running?
thanks

Koa

Since: Jan 10

Honolulu

#445 Feb 6, 2010
Vicky,
I was able to breathe through my nose right after the packing was taken out 4-5 days. I really couldn't breathe that well for years before the surgery so having the packing didn't really bother me. It just made my nose look really swollen. I did not get black eyes or really any side effects from my 4 hour surgery. About 7-8 days after surgery I could do whatever I wanted. My nose was a bit sore from the septum straightening but that's all. My ENT used Stealth or image guided surgery. You might inquire about it with your ENT.

Here's a short youtube clip explaining it.
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#446 Feb 7, 2010
Ronald wrote:
Hey guys!
I have nasal polyp surgery on wednesday 20 january, with a sinus surgery called Functionnal Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. I'm just worried about the general anesthesia. Will I throw up when I wake up? Will I feel weird? Will I be in pain after the surgery? After how long can I breathe normally? What about smoking post operation?
I'm stressed, and I hope to have a reply ASAP!!
Just curious... how did your surgery go?
Kris

United States

#447 Feb 22, 2010
Hi all. This forum is great. About two years ago I noticed my allergies going crazy. However, I don't have health insurance so I never did anything about them. About 9 months ago I completely lost my sense of smell and then about 5 months ago my left side became blocked. I finally went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with nasal polyps and said I would need surgery. I have not had a ct scan yet because I still can't afford. Just getting diagnosed has set me back $1200.
Now, it looks like I need a surgery that could cost me $12-$20k. This sucks!
I don't really know what to do but my quality of life is miserable and its embarrassing always blowing my nose and sounding sick. Does anyone have any advise about how I might be able to get insurance to pay for this. Well, any financial assistance would be great. I'm not far enough below the poverty line to get assistance from some of the programs in my state (OR). But, I also only make like $20k a year.
Also, if i have a beer, or wine, or cocktail, any booze really makes me really sneezy and congested. Anyone else share this particular symptom?
Thanks for all your posts.
Judy

AOL

#448 Feb 23, 2010
I had nasal polyps and had the endoscopy surgery this past October. Like most of you, I could not breathe through my nose and people always thought I sounded like I was stuffed up and had a cold. It was hard to eat and drink. I am so glad I had the surgery, just wished I would have done it sooner. I also lost all sense of smell. After the surgery, I was able to breathe. I did get my smell back for a little while, but as the doctor told me after surgery, he could not get to the upper sinus area by near the eyes because there was so much infection and he didn't want to risk anything so he said I would most likely need another surgery in about a year. I did not have any packing in my sinuses after the surgery, which I was glad for. I have again lost all sense of smell, but that is because the nasal polyps that he did not remove are starting to grow more. I now do the nasal rinse and a nasal spray. He would like for me to do predisone, but I am leary as to the side effects. Did anyone here have any bad side effects from being on predisone. For those of you who are thinking of having the surgery, I would suggest having it done. I am so glad that I can breathe again.
vicky

Hungary

#449 Feb 24, 2010
had sinus and ployp removal done yesterday all went well had 1 large one removed and about 4 small ones behind not much bleeding still got to wear the bandage under my nose for a couple of days had paqcking inside which they removed before i left the hospital i couldnt believe how much there was it really made my eyes water and it started bleeding a bit
had a really good night sleep cant breath out my right side but the left is ok a little swelling but i dont think im going to get black eyes
just got to take it easy for a few days and im glad i had it done no problems so far
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#450 Feb 24, 2010
Judy wrote:
I had nasal polyps and had the endoscopy surgery this past October. Like most of you, I could not breathe through my nose and people always thought I sounded like I was stuffed up and had a cold. It was hard to eat and drink. I am so glad I had the surgery, just wished I would have done it sooner. I also lost all sense of smell. After the surgery, I was able to breathe. I did get my smell back for a little while, but as the doctor told me after surgery, he could not get to the upper sinus area by near the eyes because there was so much infection and he didn't want to risk anything so he said I would most likely need another surgery in about a year. I did not have any packing in my sinuses after the surgery, which I was glad for. I have again lost all sense of smell, but that is because the nasal polyps that he did not remove are starting to grow more. I now do the nasal rinse and a nasal spray. He would like for me to do predisone, but I am leary as to the side effects. Did anyone here have any bad side effects from being on predisone. For those of you who are thinking of having the surgery, I would suggest having it done. I am so glad that I can breathe again.
Hi Judy: I had nasal polyps removed in November 09. My condition sounds similiar to yours. No smell. No packing. I can breathe now. I did take prednisone before the surgery to help with breathing. I had no side effects. I was on it 2x in a year when I just couldn't handle the polyps. It was a "wonder" drug... felt like I no longer had polyps. However, I think your body becomes immune to it and then you need to take more to get the results you need. I am aware it has other, more serious side effects, but lots of people take it. Ask others including your pharmacist. I was on the lowest dose 5 mg. That's my experience... hope that helps you. Shelly
Dave

Brookline, MA

#451 Feb 24, 2010
I've had nasal polyps for almost two years. I tried nasal steroids, saline rinses, etc. The only thing that worked was oral steroids, but they're not good to stay on for long, so the polyps kept coming back. I finally had surgery, which isn't as bad as what many people write in these blogs. My polpys were back four weeks later and the ENT said go see a allergist I can't help you. Between the allergist visit and a supposed bout with pneaumonia i discovered I had astma. I began astma treatment, but still no relief from the polyps. Not being able to taste or smell is frustrating.
Several months ago i started allergy shots. Last month i started a diet and have lost 8 pounds. I'm slowly gaining back my taste and smell without using any nasal or oral steriods or nasal rinse. I also have kept using astma medication, and halve that well under control.

My suggestion to anyone with polyps is go see the allergist and the pulminary care doctors. The ENT's and surgery are a waste of time. You have to cure the cause of the polyps!
Judy

Rockford, IL

#452 Feb 24, 2010
shelly wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Judy: I had nasal polyps removed in November 09. My condition sounds similiar to yours. No smell. No packing. I can breathe now. I did take prednisone before the surgery to help with breathing. I had no side effects. I was on it 2x in a year when I just couldn't handle the polyps. It was a "wonder" drug... felt like I no longer had polyps. However, I think your body becomes immune to it and then you need to take more to get the results you need. I am aware it has other, more serious side effects, but lots of people take it. Ask others including your pharmacist. I was on the lowest dose 5 mg. That's my experience... hope that helps you. Shelly
Thanks, Shelly. I had taken prednisone twice before, about 10 years ago, when I got into poison ivy, but just for 10 days each time. I just wasn't sure if it was worth it or not to take it again. I had no side effects before, so I think I will try it again if it will help. I know, eventually, I will need the second surgery. The doctor told me to think about taking the prednisone. I go back to see him next month. Thanks for your help.
Judy

Rockford, IL

#453 Feb 24, 2010
Dave wrote:
I've had nasal polyps for almost two years. I tried nasal steroids, saline rinses, etc. The only thing that worked was oral steroids, but they're not good to stay on for long, so the polyps kept coming back. I finally had surgery, which isn't as bad as what many people write in these blogs. My polpys were back four weeks later and the ENT said go see a allergist I can't help you. Between the allergist visit and a supposed bout with pneaumonia i discovered I had astma. I began astma treatment, but still no relief from the polyps. Not being able to taste or smell is frustrating.
Several months ago i started allergy shots. Last month i started a diet and have lost 8 pounds. I'm slowly gaining back my taste and smell without using any nasal or oral steriods or nasal rinse. I also have kept using astma medication, and halve that well under control.
My suggestion to anyone with polyps is go see the allergist and the pulminary care doctors. The ENT's and surgery are a waste of time. You have to cure the cause of the polyps!
Hi Dave:
I posted earlier that I had the surgery back in October. I started with allergy shots October of 2008. I should be finished with them in July of this year. I was in misery before I had the surgery. I could not breathe through my nose at all. Now, after the surgery, I do not have the stuffiness, runny nose, itchy eyers. etc. But, I still go every week to get my allergy shot. I still cannot smell though. I did for a while after the surgery, but no longer. Maybe after my second surgery it will come back again, but the ENT said he would do the second surgery in about a year. I am just happy that I can breathe.
diane

Dawson Creek, Canada

#454 Feb 27, 2010
hi everyone thought i would say a few words i have had my polyps removed last year after a couple of years of not being able to breath through my nose, had no sense of smell or taste, well i started to get blocked again went back to the ent and the polyps are growing back, i was soo depressed at hearing this,i thought here we go again, lots of pills and sprays later back to square one, the doctors don't know what causes this, i also have asthma and allergies,(which started later in life)i asked my doctor several times if this could be related to hormones, he never answered my question, so after my ent scare, i said i cannot live this way, got on the internet and checked things out, to make a long story short, i started on (cream)progesterone, 1\4 tsp on my skin twice a day, 4 day i could smell and taste,i have been on it for a month and you would not believe the difference, i feel i have my life back, can breathe, i know some people will poo poo this, also i take 2 garlic tabs a day, the progesterone is NATURAL, so take some time to check this out for your self, you will be like me, my jaw dropped while i was reading about the natural pro, and how it can help with the sinuses among other things only side effects are if you don't need it it can make you tired, i am getting great results from this i have been rubbing it on for less than a month, this hormone is for men and women,and if low in you body can cause all sorts of problems, but it has to be "natural".. i hope this post helps someone elce, and like i said some people will poo poo this, but the rest of you will check it out.. we are here to help each other with this awful problem...
George

New Haven, CT

#455 Feb 28, 2010
Diane:

Please provide more information on this progesterone cream. Is this a precription and if so how did you get the doc to give it to you? If not can you please provide the product name and/or a link to the source?

Thanks!
George

New Haven, CT

#456 Feb 28, 2010
To those who have had the polyp removal surgery using the "rotorooter" rotating device for lack of a better term how many have regained their sense of smell back to normal again?

Did your doctor tell you why you would lose it... that is did the surgery cause this loss?
George

New Haven, CT

#457 Feb 28, 2010
I found this article on the web regarding progesterone cream for men:

BENEFITS OF PROGESTERONE CREAM
Around 50 years of age, a man may find sexual performance less predictable than in earlier years. While the possibility of prostate gland problems may jump to mind, it doesn't have to be this. Some types of prostate discomfort may, however, be relieved by male targeted progesterone cream.

In both males and females, progesterone favors the development of so called T helper cells, thereby boosting immunity. It also increases dopamine release, supplying a good precursor to adrenal hormones..good for both sexes. Progesterone is used by the body to produce a number of steroid hormones so, together with the above effects, there is a general enhancement of function on which certain additional ingredients of the cream can build.

Most (male) preparations include Siberian Ginseng which is reputed to have a gonad-stimulating activity and promotes health of the prostate gland.

RECOMMENDED USE
Apply half teaspoon (2.5ml) of cream per day to clean soft skin regions (i.e. inner aspect of upper arms, inner thighs, buttocks, backs of hands, wrists, neck or face. Be sure to rotate between areas of application so that several days elapse between applications at the same site. Avoid oils or roll-on deodorant etc at the site of application.
diane

Dawson Creek, Canada

#458 Feb 28, 2010
hi George, i was listening to a radio show with dr Christine Northup ob/gyn she had a guest that was a compound pharmacist, he was talking about hormones and how many problems being low in them can cause, he give his e mail out and i wrote to him, he answered, told me if i used a good quality progest, cream that i would see my symptoms disappear, site is thecompounder.com his e-mail is larry@thecompounder.com.. there is a lot of info on low progestrone and sinus problems, asthma and allergies..i was very surprised, this is a natural product i got mine at the health food store, you can buy it on line also, i don't think the doctor would know anything about it as they don't learn about hormones, plus they would only have man made hormones, which is not the same stuff, i had no idea about hormones and had to do a lot of searching to come up with a lot of this info,it takes a while to get the full effect i was lucky at the speed that i could smell and taste, but it has taken us a while to get sick, so i guess we cannot get better overnight ..
i have not told my doctor, as he might poo poo it but i will when the time comes i have the ent report to tell him how bad my sinuses were, this is my chance to do something for my self, i have suffered long enough with these polyps, and a poor quality of life and as i said before it has no side effects, time that i was proactive in my own health care, take care Diane
diane

Dawson Creek, Canada

#459 Feb 28, 2010
UPDATE::I went today to pick up my asthma meds and talked to my pharmacist about the natural progesterone, well i was surprised he told me that he can make it up for me that it is covered by prescription so i can get it from the doctor,my pharmacist was happy to talk to me about this, he knows how many pills and sprays that i take, he said that i may be on the right track with this..i will keep you informed,it sounds like it is a good quality; at least it will be pharmacy quality..Diane
czglory

Bangkok, Thailand

#460 Feb 28, 2010
I had nasal polyps removed surgically after steroids failed. Was put under a general anesthetic so it wasn't too painful, but I couldn't urinate for about 24 hours after the surgery. Imagine having to pee really, really badly, and not being able to. And it lasts 24 hours. Worse tan it sounds, was the worst part of the surgery. After I was able to take out the padding, I could breathe through my nose unlike ever before! Was so nice. Unforunately, only three or four days later it appeared like my polyps immediately returned and I was unable to breathe through my nose again. The surgery was basically a coplete waste of time and money. IT was around $12,000 if I recall correctly, with insurance covering a minimal amount.
vicky

Hungary

#461 Mar 1, 2010
i had my ployps removed 23rd feb also had my sinus drained im off to the doctors today as ive got a foul smell up my nose i think ive got an infection! ive still got a bad head ache which hasnt got any better since the op but hopefully with some antibotics il start to feel better
George

New Haven, CT

#462 Mar 1, 2010
Thanks, Diane, for the reply.

I searched the internet yesterday and ccould find nothing linking using progesterone to treat nasal polyps. This is not to say it may not work. In fact, I bought some myself and started using it last night. For the $11 it cost me it's worth a try.

I did notice there are many variations in terms of concentration. Mine is from Source Naturals. A two ounce container with 22mg of natural progesterone per 1/4 teaspoon concentration.

I will hope for the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dr. Craig Amshel, MD Opens New Office in Sun Ci... (Nov '13) Apr 15 Maryann Conley 2
News Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, or Both? Jack... (Jan '15) Apr 11 Halloabove 11
News The Barber's Barber (Oct '17) Apr 11 remembering 3
News US surgeons remove donated kidney through vagina (Feb '09) Mar '18 WTH 3
News After Knee Replacement, Play On Mar '18 Mark s 2
News Beware of cosmetic surgery practitioners who ar... (Feb '09) Mar '18 Surgically fart 49
News New protocols improve colon surgery experience Mar '18 Woof Runs 7