Nasal polyp removal
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#303 Sep 11, 2009
Jennifer I wrote:
I have been on prednisone for 10 days now and I feel like a normal person! Enjoying it while it lasts...
Prednisone works really well at masking the symptoms of the polyps. Are you on a short-term or long-term dose? Enjoy the normalcy! Shelly

Since: Sep 09

Spokane, WA

#304 Sep 11, 2009
shelly wrote:
<quoted text>
Prednisone works really well at masking the symptoms of the polyps. Are you on a short-term or long-term dose? Enjoy the normalcy! Shelly
I am on a 30 day, slowly decreasing dose. I have been begging my doctor for years to allow me to take a small dose daily, but he refuses. I don't see what would be wrong with just 5mg a day to keep the polyps shrunk down enough so I can feel normal all the time.

London, UK

#305 Sep 11, 2009
Jennifer, I think what would happen is that your body would simply adapt to it very quickly - so you would have to up any dose to have an effect. Don't forget that your body produces its own steroid - Cortisol.

I took 4 x 5mg steroid tablets yesterday at midday and the effect was felt just six hours later!!! Last night I breathed out of my left nostril for the first time since Xmas AND slept straight though the night! Feeling pretty wonderful at the moment!

Shelly - yes I've had surgery before, but it was the old way of doing it. They pulled them out under local anaesthetic! This time they are going to remove the polyps AND open up the sinuses. I've read bad things about this on the net (and I'm not going to frighten others by giving the links) but I've also read that people benefitted greatly from it.
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#306 Sep 12, 2009
Barry50 wrote:
Jennifer, I think what would happen is that your body would simply adapt to it very quickly - so you would have to up any dose to have an effect. Don't forget that your body produces its own steroid - Cortisol.
I took 4 x 5mg steroid tablets yesterday at midday and the effect was felt just six hours later!!! Last night I breathed out of my left nostril for the first time since Xmas AND slept straight though the night! Feeling pretty wonderful at the moment!
Shelly - yes I've had surgery before, but it was the old way of doing it. They pulled them out under local anaesthetic! This time they are going to remove the polyps AND open up the sinuses. I've read bad things about this on the net (and I'm not going to frighten others by giving the links) but I've also read that people benefitted greatly from it.
Hi Barry:

Just wondering how long were you "symptom-free" after your 1st/last surgery? And how long ago?

I now have an appointment to see the 3rd ENT on Sept. 25th (was Nov. 16th). Yipee! I hope it goes well.

I've also read some discouraging and positive comments about the sinus surgery on-line. I know what you mean about it being "frightening", so thanks for sparing us.

Again, good luck on Monday!!

Jennifer: Maybe your doctor is concerned about the (long-term) side effects of the prednisone, even on a low dose. Just a guess.

London, UK

#307 Sep 16, 2009
Well, here I am, back again - and breathing! Still feeling woosey at the moment. The anxiety about the op was quite something, and my op was over two hours late, which didn't help. However, I was quickly out of it, and the next thing I know, some nurse is looking into my face and calling my name! As I was wheeled back to my hospital bed I was pleased to note there was no packing, and I could breathe up both sides. I was sat up in bed... and unfortunately blood started to drip out of one side, then the other. So I had to have a finger-sized gauze placed underneath. This stemmed the flow of course, which backed up. I only got just over 4 hours sleep that night as I was continually waking up with a dry mouth and severe post nasal drip. However, I'm home, and have been clearing quite a lot - by swallowing and VERY gentle blowing. Still bleeding a little from one side.

Apparently one side of my sinuses were full of polyps, and the other side was full of thick mucus. The doc drilled some of the bone away, and took tissue away too to open up the area. Had a good night's sleep last night, although woke up for an hour to clear my sinuses. Although I'm still a bit light-headed, I can breathe, taste and smell...and wished I had done this before! I had an excellent surgeon, and should have trusted him and this procedure before today. I've experienced no pain at all!

I'm on a course of prednisolone and antibiotics, and I have a follow-up appointment to assess in two weeks. Finding it difficult doing nothing at all - watching TV and reading is getting boring.

Hope you are all well, and hope Sue from Yorkshire comes back here soon and lets us know how she got on.
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#308 Sep 16, 2009
Barry:
I was thinking of you and wanted to send a "post", but realized you were probably still recovering... plus you live in a different time zone than me.
I'm happy to hear your OP went well and you're on the mend. Enjoy the boredom and rest. Remember all those sleepless nights, you can "catch-up" now.
When was your 1st/last surgery for polyps?
Keep me up-to-date on your recovery (please).
Shelly

London, UK

#309 Sep 16, 2009
Thanks Shelly. My first op (under local) was back in my late 20s. I had polyps removed twice more after that during my 30s - but relied on prednisolone during my 40s. But lately this was the worse they've ever been, and surgery was a must, really. Ideally, I should have had it done about 5-6 years ago, and certainly in early 2007 when this latest trouble began. But I put off surgery out of fear and the unknown. I won't ever do that again (assuming I get trouble return). I would advise anyone to go for it - based on how I feel at the moment. However, my surgeon thinks this may well be a one-off surgery, and that now my sinuses are opened up (with bone removed) there's little place for infection. I have an appointment with him in two weeks, so I'll know more then.

I was VERY apprehensive about the surgery - maybe I read too much on the net, and it can be frightening. Funny thing is, that's the worst part! Because you're out of it (not like a local anaesthetic) and no pain either, then it's just fear itself to be afraid of. And to anyone in the UK I would say to go private. The small hospital I attended was great. It was lovely to have my own room with en suite, TV, telephone, newspapers, food whenever I wanted, and attentive & caring nurses. The National Health Service is very precious to us, but it's faceless and a little cold in comparison.
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#310 Sep 16, 2009
Barry... I'm soooo envious, but happy for you and your outcome. Sounds like everything went great, other than the "fear" part. Even the "private venue" sounded good.

Are you able to do a sinus rinse yet? Will you be rinsing & spraying daily (forever) to keep those polyps from returning?

I know what you mean about reading the scary stuff on the net, but one has to do what one has to do... and it's not all bad.

I have an appointment with the ENT on Friday., Sept. 25th. I'll be taking the CT Scan I had done in Feb. So hopefully,(fingers crossed) I'll have a surgery date soon.

Thanks and I hope you keep responding when I/we have a question or desparate moment... Shelly

London, UK

#311 Sep 17, 2009
Hello Shelly. Well, I don't actually need to do any rinsing. I have a lot of mucus and blood - obviously, but it continually just breaks away. I can either swallow it or blow it out, though I've chosen to swallow it for safety's sake. When I'm in bed, I only have to move my head to the side for the sinus to drain immediately. I've still got a dull headache, and I hope that will clear soon, but no pain from the op itself. I'm eating a lot!

I hope that I don't have to go back onto a steroid spray, although I think I'll probably have to. I'll know in two weeks. Hope your appointment goes well next week - ask questions - and let us know the outcome.
Sue from Yorkshire

Edgware, UK

#312 Sep 17, 2009
Hello! Here I am, exactly 24 hours after waking up from my op yesterday (16th). Everything went very well and I was a 'model' patient!
I went into York hospital at 7:30am and after lots of checking of my id etc, etc by nurses, my consultant (Mr. Coatesworth) and the anathesetist (sp?) I was taken down to theatre at 11:50am. I was extremely apprehensive, mainly about pain and packing afterwards. They had some difficulty finding a vein for the canula in my right hand so they had to use my dominate left in the end which for me didn't really matter! They gave me a shot of morphine before they put in the anasethetic (sp?) and the last thing I said was, "I'm still here!" in a woozy voice. I was woken at 1:30pm and the first thing I asked was, "Do I have packng?" I was relieved to know that I didn't! There was little bleeding despite a polypectomy, septoplasty (for an apparent extreme case of beds and twists) and turbinate reduction and NO pain. I was sent back to the ward after 30 minutes and at 3:15pm they told me I could go home at tea time if there was no bleeding. So I phoned my partner to come and get me and what happened???? BLEEDING! I felt it drip and trickle and when the nurse came to take off the banadge at the end of my nose she was a little dismayed to see a lot of blood had seeped through TEN layers of swabs! Nevertheless, she continued my discharge notes but didn't let me sign until the bleeding subsided. She left the swab bandage off and I went through half a box of tissues to wipe the end of my nose - no blowing or squeezing allowed. Anyways, she came back to put a new swab on and gave me some to take home and off I went! I felt woozy fo the rest of the evening, could only manage soft food as it hurt my septum to chew, brush my teeth and take my inhalers, in fact taking my halers hurt like hell! I was still bleeding into the night, like Barry only managed 4 hours as the trickle sensation woke me up. I took off the swab (bad idea) and found myself constantly having to wipe my nose. In the end I put it back on again as it was annoying.

So here I am at 1:30pm on the 17th, still bleeding. I am on my 4th swab bandage since leaving but the bleeding is slowing. Pain is irregular. I get sharp stinging pains now and again but the paracetomol keeps on top of that, plus the slight fever I had and on diclofenac every 8 hours. I have no other pills or drops, sprays etc to take and will expect a follow up apointment in 6 weeks. They've given me a sicknote (my first one ever) for two weeks

I am extremely impressed with York District Hospital. The staff are very caring and hardworking and the matron on the extended day unit was ace at making sure everything was clean, which it was. I was always attended to when I needed them and nothing was too much trouble. They made you laugh when they could sense you were nervous and passing the 'enhanced recovery suite' on the way to theatre made me laugh for the rest of the day as it was just a lounge area for patients! Laura the nurse said their 'kitchen' which consisted of a fridge, toaster, kettle and a few cupboards was 'The food and beverage preparation area'. It made me giggle anyways! Such novel names!

Lastly, I realise there has been a lot of negativity about the NHS on both sides of the pond but I have to say my experience (and all past experiences since my first ever admittance aged 3 in 1982!) was positive. I pay just under 200 a month in contributions (which goes towards other things other than the NHS) and I have been treated very quickly (exactly two months from first consultation to operation).

I'll keep everyone posted with news of my recovery, but so far so good! Pain is minimal, bleeding is subsiding and apart from some swelling of my nose across my cheeks and above my top lip, I'm doing well.

xx

London, UK

#313 Sep 17, 2009
Sue, that's excellent news! I'm still feeling weirdly-woosey - I guess from the anaesthetic (a bit like having a few beers), and I still have a dull headache. Went for a longish walk today to get some air. Bleeding has all but stopped completely, though I have had some real horror stories in tissues over the past two days! I'm having a fair bit of post nasal drip, which I very much hope will subside soon, as it's unpleasant.

I understand what you're saying about the NHS, and we're all defensive and proud of it. But in my case they let me down just when I needed them most, and I had to pay money I haven't really got (which hurts a lot). Still, it's great to hear they came good for you.

If yours goes like mine over the next few days you'll find every day is a little different for different reasons, but better and better of course. I still haven't been brave enough to properly blow out of my left hand side, as I can feel a pain when I attempt anything like it. And I've stifled so many sneezes - makes my eyes run!

Are you watching rotten daytime TV?
Sue from Yorkshire

Edgware, UK

#314 Sep 18, 2009
Yes I am watching daytime TV - Animal 24/7 and Homes under the Hammer! Lol!

I woke up today (post op + 2 days) with quite a bit of stiffness and pain in my nose. I woke up briefly in the night aware that I was blowing bubbles from my left nostril, which has been the worst. But once I got up (an hour a go!) and cleaned the outside part and had a drink it wasn't as bad, though I am keeping on top of the painkillers.

I'm getting my smell back in the right side of my nose and a bit of air through now and again and what I can smell (bad blood I think!) is disgusting!
The bleeding has subsided a lot but it is still trickling out of my left nostril. At least I've had the swab bandage off my nose for the past hour and so far just a little dab with a tissue is all that has been needed.
As for sneezing, I had a couple in the hospital on Wednesday and as I felt it coming on and said to the nurse "I want to sneeze" - I don't know who was more worried - me or the nurse! I was told "Mouth open!". Since then - no sneezing, which for me is unusal as I have som many allergies I sneeze EVERY day.
Yes, I am very protective of the NHS, but that is the Britishness in me! I saw a few weeks ago on the news how people on both sides of the pond were slating our health service and when I have seen so much good come from it, it makes my blood boil. I understand it isn't perfect, but what is?

How did they let you down? Were they not going to give you the operation or did you have to wait too long as some people suggest?

It only too me 9 weeks from first consultation to operation. I suppose if you live in a high population area where demand for this surgery is high, you may have to wait longer.

I'm hoping that my nose will feel a lot better by Sunday so that I can REALLY enjoy my R & R for the next two weeks before I'm back in the classroom with my 5 & 6 year olds!

London, UK

#315 Sep 18, 2009
Hello Sue. Had a bad night actually myself. Headache continues and still bleeding. I'm getting a little concerned about that, as I was told it would stop one day after the op. Feeling inside my head is weird - like pressure.

You're brave sneezing!!! They told me 'open mouth' too, but I'd rather suppress it. Considering I'm still bleeding then I don't think it would be good for me.

What happened with the NHS was that I had my CT scan and was supposed to be registered for an op. However, when I still hadn't heard anything after nearly four weeks I contacted them. Not only did they say that they couldn't tell me for yet another four days (and didn't phone me when they said they would), but when I did get them on the phone they said no one had informed them that I needed an op - so my op would be at least six weeks behind. By then I was furious and desperate, and paid 2,500 to have it privately - immediately. Like I said, it's money I haven't got, and shouldn't have had to spend. I still love the idea of the NHS, but having just experienced a private hospital I feel different about it. My surgeon told me that the NHS could be exactly like private hospitals if the money was spent properly. Having your own room, loo, shower, etc. should be for everyone, not just those that can afford it (or not, in my case!).

Rant over. Now back to the Jeremy Kyle Show. No, maybe not!
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#316 Sep 19, 2009
Barry50 wrote:
Hello Sue. Had a bad night actually myself. Headache continues and still bleeding. I'm getting a little concerned about that, as I was told it would stop one day after the op. Feeling inside my head is weird - like pressure.
You're brave sneezing!!! They told me 'open mouth' too, but I'd rather suppress it. Considering I'm still bleeding then I don't think it would be good for me.
What happened with the NHS was that I had my CT scan and was supposed to be registered for an op. However, when I still hadn't heard anything after nearly four weeks I contacted them. Not only did they say that they couldn't tell me for yet another four days (and didn't phone me when they said they would), but when I did get them on the phone they said no one had informed them that I needed an op - so my op would be at least six weeks behind. By then I was furious and desperate, and paid 2,500 to have it privately - immediately. Like I said, it's money I haven't got, and shouldn't have had to spend. I still love the idea of the NHS, but having just experienced a private hospital I feel different about it. My surgeon told me that the NHS could be exactly like private hospitals if the money was spent properly. Having your own room, loo, shower, etc. should be for everyone, not just those that can afford it (or not, in my case!).
Rant over. Now back to the Jeremy Kyle Show. No, maybe not!
Barry - I think you should be getting those post-op symptoms checked, just to make sure everything is healing o.k.
Also, can you claim your medical expenses for your surgery on your income tax?
Shelly

London, UK

#317 Sep 20, 2009
It's the mornings that have been bad. I'm getting a bit blocked up around 5.00 a.m.- enough to wake me up. I can clear it (blood and stuff) then my sinuses are fairly clear. When I get up for breakfast I have to clear again, again a fair bit of bloody stuff. Also there's a pain over my right eye. But it is getting lighter with every morning (I think).

My sense of smell is incredible. My sister came up yesterday and we all sat in the garden. Her perfume was too strong for me even in the open air. I'm also over-eating because I can taste everything. Got to put a stop to that. I'm having to take Omeprazole (which is to counter the indegestion caused by the prednisolone). I've never been on so many tablets in my life.
Sue from Yorkshire

Edgware, UK

#318 Sep 20, 2009
It's Sunday and feeling so much better!

I have no pain, just slight discomfort when I twitch my nose or open my mouth too wide when smiling, laughing and eating. The bleeding has stopped. I have blood streaked mucus, crusting and my nose is clearing a lot, so much so that I can see a loop of blue stitching on my septum! My energy levels are fluctuating a lot. I had a light headed moment this morning putting out washing on the line (must make the most of these sunny days!) so I am relegated to the sofa!

I too have a slight increase in pressure between my eyes mostly now and again, but then it goes as quickly as it comes. My septum has moments where it stings, but again, that goes as qucikly as it comes. Though the bleeding has stopped, I am woken during the night, as I was at 3:30 this morning, with slight bleeds.

My sense of smell started to come back on Saturday. Wow! The world is a smelly place! I live in the countryside (surrounded by farms and fields) and this morning there was a strong smell of manure!!!!

I haven't been given any steroids, drops or medication after my septoplasty, nasal polypectomy and turbinate reduction (apart from diclofenac and paracetomol) but is there anything that I can take to dry and moisten the inside of my nose whilst I go through a 'drying and crusting' phase?!?!
shelly

Gravenhurst, Canada

#319 Sep 20, 2009
had a very, very bad night. propped up-right with pillows so i could breathe. so plugged, had difficulty swallowing. just getting up now! i hate feeling exhausted all the time. my nose is a crusty mess that is sooo plugged i can't breathe through it.
i'm glad all you folks are on the mend after your surgeries. looking forward to whenever that will happen for me.
Sue from Yorkshire

Edgware, UK

#320 Sep 20, 2009
The blue stitching inside my left nostril came out this afternoon!!!!!!
I was aware of some 'crusting' near the entrance to my nostril so on removing it with tissue I felt something hanging. I got a mirror and there was the stitching hanging down! I 'pushed' it back up because I convinced myself it shouldn't have done that but gravity eventually took over and it came out on a tiny blow. I'm not bleeding although I still have blood streaked mucus?

Normal?

In no pain whatsoever. Just a bit of discomfort when I smile, laugh and eat.

London, UK

#321 Sep 21, 2009
Shelly. I'll be thinking of you on the 25th. Obviously I know what you're going through! I hope you get sorted very quickly.

Sue, sounds like you're getting off quite lightly. My op was a week ago today, and I'm still getting fairly fresh blood whenever I gently blow. I get some minor horror story stuff at times. I guess I should stop blowing it for a day or so, but I know that the blockage I can feel is just blood. As soon as I blow I have perfect breathing again. I'm still getting that slight pain over my right eye every now and again, but then, as everyone around me keep saying,'It's only been a week!'. My wife said my breath was really bad yesterday, so ask your hubby, Sue! Mints for me today.

This may sound crazy but I'm going back to work tomorrow - just can't stand watching TV and sitting on a sofa anymore! I'm sure it's not helping me. I want to get back to normal stuff.
Sue from Yorkshire

Edgware, UK

#322 Sep 21, 2009
I don't think you should be going back to work. I know it's boring but I was told the two weeks off that is needed is because your nasal lining is raw and is open to infection.(This was a reply I received due to my circumstances, maybe your is different) We are coming into 'flu' season and there are other bugs flying around due to the seasonal changes too. I am going outside into the garden, popping to the local shop for a paper (at least it's not mixing with the masses!) to pass the time.
I also cannot believe how quickly I am recovery. However, I am not completely back to my normal self. My energy levels are still pretty low and I'm getting the odd light-headed moments when standing or walking for a prolonged period. However, no pain, no bleeding, just a horrible crusty feeling inside my nose which when I look is still quite raw. My nose is still uncomfortable to twitch and move etc, etc.

A colleague of mine was due to have a septoplasty during the school summer holidays but she bottled it! She was going to wait and see how I faired with the operation (along with the removal of polyps and a 'trimming' of the turbinates) before deciding. I think I may have persuaded her to go for it as she's more impressed with the fact I needed no packing and was out of hospital on the same day!
My follow up appointment is Friday 30th October; typically one of the three days my partner has taken as holiday (it's half term week) and had plans to go on day visits around the Yorkshire region.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Balloon Sinuplasty Recovery Dec 8 naholden 1
News Man who helped our heroes face the world Nov '18 Avro 1
Board Certified Surgeons for letters of recomme... Oct '18 Padiem 1
News Man determined to walk again after blood infect... Oct '18 reality 1
News Surgeon left needle inside patient, then couldn... Sep '18 typical 7
News I want my labia cut off! (Jan '09) Aug '18 Sam Hobbs 186
Pillow following open-heart surgery Aug '18 Sam Hobbs 1