Aqeel

Islamabad, Pakistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2009

Barry thanks for such a useful information. One last question, I had less blockage now and polyps are somehow disappeared they were visible just month ago. But now im having heavy cough attacks and feel lots of thick mucus on my chest I badly chock sometime. If i take antibiotic will this infected mucus will get away?. And also for polyps surgery what treatment do you think is better Laser or Normal one? which one is effective and long lasting?
Barry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2009

Get a torch and a mirror and look up there, have they really gone? The mucus gets infected because it cannot get away. Just killing the infection isn't enough, it has to get away or it will re-infect - mine has.

I don't know anything anout 'laser' treatment for polyps.
CHRISSY

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2009

HI EVERYONE JUST WANTED TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND SOME RELEIF FOR MYSELF AND HOPEFULLY SOMEONE ELSE. I WAS HAVING A BAD THROAT INFECTION SO I WENT TO MY DOCTOR WHO PRESCRIBED ME SOME LEVIQUIN & GAVE ME AN SAMPLE INHALER CALLED SYMBICORT & SINCE I DIDNT HAVE ANY NASAL SPRAY I BORROWED MY FATHERS WHICH IS FLUTICASONE PROPIONATE THT I USE 2X A DAY & NOW MY POLYPS ARE SHRINKEN I AM STARTING TO BE ABLLE TO SMELL WHICH I NEVER CAN ENLESS IM ON PREDNISONE AND EVEN THEN IT GOES AWAY. SO IF NO ONE HAS TRIED THESE MEDS YOU GIVE IT A TRY HOPEFULLY IT WILL WK FOR YOU TOO. GOOD LUCK
Aqeel

Pakistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks very much Barry I think the best solution at the moment for me is a surgery otherwise even i take antibiotic this problem will start again. :(... no choice left :-(
Barry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Leviquin is an antibiotic. Results seem quite good. However, you should be aware that there's a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers for failing to adequately warn of sudden tendon damage that can occur. Users, if they get inflammation, joint or muscle pain, should immediately contact their doctor. Unfortunately for all us lot, the risk is increased if you are taking corticosteroids like prednisilone!
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2009

Is post nasal drip a common symptom of the nasal polyps? I'm constantly swallowing mucus, very gross... I also have a very low-grade headache across my forehead most days. Sometimes I talk loud, because my ears feel plugged and I'm in a tunnel. Sound familiar to anyone? I also have a small area on my face (beside my nose) that appears swollen. I'm wondering what's making that happen. Polyps? Tumor? Anyone?
Barry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Hello Shelly. Yes, VERY common! I have it in spells. A week or so ago I had it most of the day, with the evening being very bad - constant. And no, don't think tumour, think sinus maxillaris. You can get quite a pain from both the sacks beneath your eyes - and above your eyebrows too - I got that a lot when I last had polyps, but not this time.
http://laserpuntur.files.wordpress.com/2007/1...
The sinuses get blocked, the sack can't drain. It gets infected and causes pain.
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Barry wrote:
Hello Shelly. Yes, VERY common! I have it in spells. A week or so ago I had it most of the day, with the evening being very bad - constant. And no, don't think tumour, think sinus maxillaris. You can get quite a pain from both the sacks beneath your eyes - and above your eyebrows too - I got that a lot when I last had polyps, but not this time.
http://laserpuntur.files.wordpress.com/2007/1...
The sinuses get blocked, the sack can't drain. It gets infected and causes pain.
Thanks Barry:
I'm exhausted trying to breathe dealing with these polyps. Other than nasal sprays, what else can I do to get relief?
I know you'll soon have relief, as you mentioned an Oct. surgery. I'm still waiting.... Shelly
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

shelly wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Barry:
I'm exhausted trying to breathe dealing with these polyps. Other than nasal sprays, what else can I do to get relief?
I know you'll soon have relief, as you mentioned an Oct. surgery. I'm still waiting.... Shelly
Oh, I also did try the "head stand" approach to the nasal spray and it makes me light headed & dizzy. Because I can see polyps (in mirror) on both sides, I'm having trouble believing the spray is shrinking them. I've been using nasal sprays since Nov.'08. On U-Tube they have a "How to Use Nasal Spray" and they suggest pointing it towards your ear instead of straight up. I'm open to ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.... HAVING A DESPERATE MOMENT....Shelly
Barry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Well I can only repeat what my consultant told me. He said that when you have a large polyp that almost or totally blocks then the spray will tend to run out - that's why he recommemnds the head-stand method. Try swallowing while you're upside down - it forces air through your nose (well, it does for me!). It may still partially run out when you stand up, but while you were upside down at least the fluid would have 'pooled' around the polyp. Also, the fluid is twice the dosage of the spray (with Flixonase). With the nasules you can also try laying on your back with your head over the side of the bed.

I've taken to using Otrivine as a drop, rather than a spray! Crazy, I know, but otherwise I feel like I have a tic-tac shoved up my nose! Still haven't had my letter for the actual date yet. Keep hoping it's going to come. I also had to have an MRSA check - that's what they do here in the UK now, and I haven't had the results of that either.
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Barry wrote:
Well I can only repeat what my consultant told me. He said that when you have a large polyp that almost or totally blocks then the spray will tend to run out - that's why he recommemnds the head-stand method. Try swallowing while you're upside down - it forces air through your nose (well, it does for me!). It may still partially run out when you stand up, but while you were upside down at least the fluid would have 'pooled' around the polyp. Also, the fluid is twice the dosage of the spray (with Flixonase). With the nasules you can also try laying on your back with your head over the side of the bed.
I've taken to using Otrivine as a drop, rather than a spray! Crazy, I know, but otherwise I feel like I have a tic-tac shoved up my nose! Still haven't had my letter for the actual date yet. Keep hoping it's going to come. I also had to have an MRSA check - that's what they do here in the UK now, and I haven't had the results of that either.
Hi Barry:
I'm not familair with Otrivine, but I'm sure I've heard of it on this site. I hope you get your "date" letter soon. Do you have physical symptoms of an infection or is the MRSA check just a formality?
I'll keep doing the head-stand method, maybe if I try swallowing too. Thanks for the suggestion. I must remember to inquire about the Flixonase, as I'm using Nasonex and I can still see them in the mirror. It's very frustrating, as you well know.
Keep me posted on your surgery date. Thanks again, Barry.
Sue from Yorkshire

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

I've just got back from my holiday and I have received a date for 16th September for my operation. I will be staying overnight in the extended day surgery.

I'm pleased I'm able to have my problems resolved relatively quickly considering I haven't actually waited long (since July 15th when I had my first consultation and had it confirmed I needed an operation). However, after reading someone else's reply about post-operative discomfort I am PETRIFIED of the pain I will be in as strangely enough, nobody from the medical community has given me ANY information regarding the procedure and after-care, only I need 2 weeks off work.

Finally, I realised how truly bad my situation is after going on holiday. The descent of the plane left me in absolute agony on the left side of my face. You can understand babies and young children in discomfort but me, a grown woman of 30 years felt like screaming but sheer embarrassment of people's stares meant I couldn't. My partner thought I was literally going to burst (as did I) due to the pain I was suffering. It felt like strong, growing pressure was building up above my left eye, high in my left cheek below the eye, my left ear and oddly the left side of my throat where it meets my jaw! Never have I experienced such pain. Nail prints were embedded in my partner's hand for several hours - no exaggeration! It is the left side that I is completely blocked but does the pain elsewhere on the left side of my face indicate that my sinuses could also be blocked?
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Sue from Yorkshire wrote:
I've just got back from my holiday and I have received a date for 16th September for my operation. I will be staying overnight in the extended day surgery.
I'm pleased I'm able to have my problems resolved relatively quickly considering I haven't actually waited long (since July 15th when I had my first consultation and had it confirmed I needed an operation). However, after reading someone else's reply about post-operative discomfort I am PETRIFIED of the pain I will be in as strangely enough, nobody from the medical community has given me ANY information regarding the procedure and after-care, only I need 2 weeks off work.
Finally, I realised how truly bad my situation is after going on holiday. The descent of the plane left me in absolute agony on the left side of my face. You can understand babies and young children in discomfort but me, a grown woman of 30 years felt like screaming but sheer embarrassment of people's stares meant I couldn't. My partner thought I was literally going to burst (as did I) due to the pain I was suffering. It felt like strong, growing pressure was building up above my left eye, high in my left cheek below the eye, my left ear and oddly the left side of my throat where it meets my jaw! Never have I experienced such pain. Nail prints were embedded in my partner's hand for several hours - no exaggeration! It is the left side that I is completely blocked but does the pain elsewhere on the left side of my face indicate that my sinuses could also be blocked?
You're lucky... and you'll soon be able to breathe. I've been battling these polyps for years and still waiting for a surgery date.

I hear your fear, but you'll be on the mend in no time and celebrating Halloween without a drippy nose and clogged sinuses.

Good luck Sue!!!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

Has anyone ever heard of 'Sinuswars13' it is supposed to be a very effective way to deal with polyps. I have looked all over the web and have not found any negative reports about this treatment.
I'm, having a hell of a time with what I believe to be a polyp, as I was lucky enough on two previous occasions (a year and a half apart)to have them close enough the the entrance to my nostril to be able to take them out myself with tweezers.
This one seems to be far up into my nose and can't be grabbed.
So I want to try sinuswars13, it's only $70 for a three month treatment.
But if anyone has tried it here, which it looks like they haven't but I'm looking for anyone aside form the sinuswars website that claims to have used it.
Barry

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

Shelly. The MRSA check is now standard here in the UK. Don't use Otrivine unless you are truly desperate, and even then it will only work if you can get it up your nostrils. It won't work if a polyp is blocking.

Sue. Great to hear you got a date! Don't be scared, it will be discomforting, yes, but pain can be treated with painkillers. I'd rather have short-term pain and discomfort than what I have now. How come you didn't have a CT scan to find out what's blocked and what isn't? If you want to go private for a CT scan then it's about 400. PLEASE come back on here during your two weeks off and let me know what your op was like - to know is everything.

Smyrna. I've seen the ads for that, but if they have to advertise it then is it really that good?
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Smyrna wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of 'Sinuswars13' it is supposed to be a very effective way to deal with polyps. I have looked all over the web and have not found any negative reports about this treatment.
I'm, having a hell of a time with what I believe to be a polyp, as I was lucky enough on two previous occasions (a year and a half apart)to have them close enough the the entrance to my nostril to be able to take them out myself with tweezers.
This one seems to be far up into my nose and can't be grabbed.
So I want to try sinuswars13, it's only $70 for a three month treatment.
But if anyone has tried it here, which it looks like they haven't but I'm looking for anyone aside form the sinuswars website that claims to have used it.
I did try the Sinuswars13, but it didn't give me any relief. Herbal remedies often take 12 to 18 months (or longer) before you see any results. I'm too impatient.
Everyone is different though, maybe it would work for you.
Did your polyp bleed when you pulled it out? Just curious.
Good luck.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Judged:

shelly wrote:
<quoted text>
I did try the Sinuswars13, but it didn't give me any relief. Herbal remedies often take 12 to 18 months (or longer) before you see any results. I'm too impatient.
Everyone is different though, maybe it would work for you.
Did your polyp bleed when you pulled it out? Just curious.
Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up on Sinuswars 13, because
all I read are glowing reports about it.

Yes, in both instances when I was able to remove the polyps myself, there was no pain, but there was bleeding, but it subsided quickly.

The first one, I blew my nose hard enough where the polyp dropped down from the sinus cavity, a grey looking bag, reminded me of a boxing speed bag, tear dropped shape. Sorry for being gross but polyps are!

I grabbed it with the sterilized tweezers and it started to shred, I kept at it until I got what I could.

I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this, but I didn't have any health coverage at the time, and just tired out of frustration, not being able to breath out of my right nostril.

And NO, I don't want any government controlled health care bill!(in case you are wondering)

Now it's back, and to high into my sinus, so the docs will have to take care of it I guess.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Thanks Barry, good point, but here in the U.S, there are many drug commercials on TV and radio.

Shelly noted Herbal remedies take months to work at times, but I thought sinuswars13 was a formulation, on the sinuswars.com site, there is a list of the ingredients, they sounded like chemicals but I may be wrong.
LindaV

Port Washington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

I had surgery 6 months ago. Sinus reduction, deviated septum and nasal polyp removal. Even with following my doctors orders of drugs (allegra, singular, astepro, nasacort) they have started coming back.

I didn't even get a year. Hey, I didnt even get 7 months. I'm really down about it. I mentioned it to my allergist and he gave me a script for Flovent; usually used for lung inhaler but he said to use it in my nose and it's more strong than nasocort.

I'm still glad I had the surgery but I'm upset that they've returned so soon.
shelly

Bracebridge, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Smyrna wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the heads up on Sinuswars 13, because
all I read are glowing reports about it.
Yes, in both instances when I was able to remove the polyps myself, there was no pain, but there was bleeding, but it subsided quickly.
The first one, I blew my nose hard enough where the polyp dropped down from the sinus cavity, a grey looking bag, reminded me of a boxing speed bag, tear dropped shape. Sorry for being gross but polyps are!
I grabbed it with the sterilized tweezers and it started to shred, I kept at it until I got what I could.
I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this, but I didn't have any health coverage at the time, and just tired out of frustration, not being able to breath out of my right nostril.
And NO, I don't want any government controlled health care bill!(in case you are wondering)
Now it's back, and to high into my sinus, so the docs will have to take care of it I guess.
Trust me, I know polyps are gross. I haven't tried pulling any out, but have been tempted. I can see my polyps when I look in the mirror, but I have many, so some I can't see. It sucks when you can't breathe. Do you have medical coverage now? And do you have an appointment to see the ENT about your nose?
Good luck and keep posting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 261 - 280 of837
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Surgery Forum right now

Search the Surgery Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
sinus surgery (May '06) Jul 7 Patty- 1,795
Slouch at Your Own Peril Jun 25 Alise 1
Knee Replacements with DePuy (Feb '10) Jun 24 Abby MacPherson 89
How to reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction ... (May '12) Jun 23 Melvyn 13
Botox Tops Nip and Tuck in Los Angeles as Anti-... (Dec '08) Jun 23 celine 4
Sex in the City, Erectile Dysfunction and Sexy ... (Jun '10) Jun 23 Herve 14
Impotence fears over robotic surgery (Oct '09) Jun 23 Salmon 12
•••
•••