Nasal polyp removal
First Prev
of 44
Next Last
steve

UK

#1 Apr 19, 2007
Hi, i found this site by accident so i thought i would share my recent experience of having a nasal polyp removed,well firstly my problem started about 9 months ago when my right nostril became blocked,after some time i aproached my manager at work as i work on the railway and we haqd a new fleet of trains put in service these trains had very powerfull a/c and i believed this was causing the problem,my manager referd me to bupa free of charge of course the bupa docter said the a/c was highlighting the problem but my company still would not give me a differnt job to prevent this getting worse.
anyway i noticd i was starting to cogh up a lot of blood and my breething getting worse so i went to my doctors,within a week i had a appointment with a consultant within a week from then i had a ct scan within 10 days the hospital phoned me at home to go in for the operation.i had a large polyp growing from the right maxillary sinus that was blocking my right nasal passage.
I have never been in hospital befor never had a op never been put to sleep,at 08.00 on the monday i arrived at the hospital i was shown my bed and given a gown to put on,at 12.15 i was taken to the theatre,in the prep room i was put on a trolly i was given a pre-med then the mask put on my face i was petrified,i dont know why!i then woke up in the recovery room i had a little pain the nurses where very good they gave me morphine and then i was back off to sleep.i slept most of the day i was given lots of pain killers but i dont think i realy needed them,at 06.00 the following morning i was given 5 pain killers then at 07.00 the nurse came to remove the packing from my right nostril,well i can only explain it as someone pulling my brains out their were 2 lots of packing when the second came out so did a lot of blood it was everywhere,the nurse quickly got a ice pack and put it over the bridge of my nose and gave me some ice to suck the bleeding soon stopped,i was visited by the ent docters and discharged at about 10.30.to day is thursday i have no pain in my nose though the boney area below and above my right eye is quite tender i keep getting double vision and i still have a little drip from my nose with a little blood its only a few drops now and then,though i occassionaly cough up some very dark colourd blood,i am not sure if this is all normal but i have to back to ent in 2 weeks so i will wait and see if it improves.i will be off work for 2 weeks my manager phoned me to day and said he would like to visit me at home next monday to see how i am,i think he is just spying i wish i had a video of my op to through in his face,i am now just dredding going back to work incase i get the problem again.
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#2 Apr 24, 2007
hi,I hope you feel better,I had a ct too,I do have polyps in my nose too,I can hardly breathe on one side of my nose. If they did remove the polyps,I wouldn't want anything to mess up with the tmj surgery I had

Since: Apr 07

UK

#3 May 4, 2007
Jennifer Watts wrote:
hi,I hope you feel better,I had a ct too,I do have polyps in my nose too,I can hardly breathe on one side of my nose. If they did remove the polyps,I wouldn't want anything to mess up with the tmj surgery I had
well actually the surgery went very well i was in no pain,no after affects,the worst part was removing the packing,
However i have just had a follow up with the consultant and he said infact it was not a polyp,he said the patholygy results showed it was inverted papillomia the consultant has also said their is every chance of it growing back in the next 2-4 weeks so i have a further ct scan in 6 weeks.
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#4 May 6, 2007
I don't like the polyps
kedmurph

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jun 17, 2007
I am having my third polyp surgery in a month. This time they are going to take the CT scan into the room with me because my polyps are too bad. I was just wonder who else is dealing with this problem.
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#6 Jun 17, 2007
good luck,they can't take mine out
Anna

Ford City, PA

#7 Jul 4, 2007
My daughter will be having surgery Monday to remove nasal polyps. She was told they appear to be abnormal and they are eroding the membrane between the sinus and the brain. The membrane has become very thin and they don't know what is going on. They plan to biopsy the tissue and wait for the results before they continue the surgery. Has anyone ever had any experience with something like this?
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#8 Jul 5, 2007
no
Bill

Cranbrook, Canada

#9 Jul 9, 2007
I wouldn't mind polyps, except that I can't smell now. I had them removed about 2 years ago, and now they've come back - enough to kill my sense of smell.

And my doctor said that successive removal of polyps will likely damage the scent sensors in my nose.

Damn genetics.
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#10 Jul 13, 2007
bill so sorry to hear that. I can smell,but I have a hard time breathing sometimes
Debby

Orlando, FL

#11 Jul 20, 2007
I'm going to have the CT scan done today. Don't know if I really want to have the surgery, but I can't keep taking the Prednisone indefinitely. Although it sure keeps the polyps in check. I'm mostly afraid of losing my sense of smell! Can't imagine not being able to smell anything!
mags Hunter

India

#12 Jul 28, 2007
just had confirmation that i had them on Thursday , getting scan in next 4-5 weeks and back to Hospital in 2 months. my sense of smell comes and goes . Asthmatic late onset makes you more likely to get polyps
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#13 Jul 28, 2007
good luck
Ryan

Mount Vernon, IL

#14 Aug 1, 2007
i have polyps but i don't know when i have to have surgery this sucks bad
Ryan

Mount Vernon, IL

#15 Aug 1, 2007
does anyone know any side effects when they are removed?
vicky

Metairie, LA

#16 Aug 13, 2007
Ryan- I had ployps removed a week ago and so far I have no side effects. I had 94% blockage on both sides. I also had sinus surgery and they fixed my septum while they we in there, having to break my nose. I have never had any problems with my breathing. The reason I had the surgery is that I lost my sense of smell and taste. I have not been able to smell or taste for about 3 months. It's only a week after surgery and I have not gotten either sense back as of yet. I am able to breath much better, I can't believe what a difference that has made. I just hope I get my two senses back. It is really driving me crazy! I had my surgery is Aurora I'm also from Illinois, I don't know why it show Indiana. I have been real pleased with the surgery recovery time so far. Good luck.
Jordan

Aurora, IL

#17 Aug 13, 2007
The locations of you people are very strange! England to the Midwest, and at that, I just had my surgery this morning in Aurora, Illinois. They weren't sure if they were going to have to break my nose, but thankfully they did. I had 100% blockage with the polyps now trailing down my nostrils and throat. I am doing well enough now, just a lot of swelling and bleeding. I also lost my sense of smell, but there's no way to tell yet with all of the packing if it is going to return yet or not. I was also told I have Samter's Syndrome- I do not know if this is going to go away with the removal of the polyps or if it'll be a recurring thing. Anyone know about this?
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#18 Aug 14, 2007
hope you feel better soon
vicky

Metairie, LA

#19 Aug 15, 2007
Jordan-
I also had my surgery in Aurora Illinois even though is says I'm from Indiana (not sure why) I'm 9 days out and my smell came back just in the last day. Hope you feel better and hope your smell comes back soon. I know how it is not to be able to smell or taste.
Mary

AOL

#20 Aug 18, 2007
I had sinus surgery two years ago.Removal of polpys, they broke my nose, & flushed away the infection. I was on anti. for over a year before my doctor refered me to an ent. Now I just found out the polyps are back. I really don't want to have surgery again. I was reading an artical about a doctor performing sinus surg. instead of packing he using your own blood mix with another chemical that clogs like gel. Has anyone been thru this? I really don't want to be packed again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 44
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Beware of cosmetic surgery practitioners who ar... (Feb '09) May 31 Fart shart 47
News Judge Awards $88K to Surgeon "Forced Out" for D... May 29 Truth 1
sinus surgery (May '06) May '17 James 1,817
Sinus Surgery (Jan '07) Apr '17 blamona 213
News Diverticulitis Surgery Complications (Oct '11) Apr '17 Nanakins65 381
sinus surgery now no smell or taste (Apr '08) Apr '17 FloryGlory 77
News Knee Replacements with DePuy (Feb '10) Mar '17 No name 105
More from around the web