sinus surgery now no smell or taste

Posted in the Surgery Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lori

Defiance, OH

#1 Apr 26, 2008
I have three sinus surgeries. All were about five years apat. During this last one I had the medial wall of ethmoid sinus' removed because of constant headaches. My physician also said he had to take care of my septum which I am not sure what that meant. First off, I was very surprised that on this third surgery I was not given any pain meds. But my biggest problem is that I cannot smell or taste at all now. Does anyone know how long it take for that to come back? I didn't have this problem with any of my previous surgeries. Does anyone have any advice?
Sheri

Manteca, CA

#2 May 19, 2008
It sounds like your recent sinus surgery was the same as mine two years ago. I also lost the sense of smell. It was particulary wierd for me because I normally have a very strong sense of smell. My family teases me about it. Anyway; my Dr was not sure the sense of smell would ever come back. It finally did after an entire year.
Arti Prashant Joshi

Pune, India

#3 Jan 22, 2009
I am a sinus patient, from last almost 3-4 years I lose my smelling sense.

I have taken Homepathic Treatment on my sinus probelm for almost 1 year, But no effect so i stopped the medicines, now pls. guide How will i recover from this problem, can my smelling sense will activate?
Mary

Arlington, TX

#4 Apr 14, 2009
did you get you sense of smell back. I had sinus surgery a week ago today on April 7th, 2009 I had FESS and septoplasty done and haven't smelled anything in a week except once, I smelled my purfume. It did not smell corectly, like chemicals, definitely not a pleasant smell.
Did your smell come back faulty at first?
I go for my first post-op tomorrow and have a lot of questions.
Lori wrote:
I have three sinus surgeries. All were about five years apat. During this last one I had the medial wall of ethmoid sinus' removed because of constant headaches. My physician also said he had to take care of my septum which I am not sure what that meant. First off, I was very surprised that on this third surgery I was not given any pain meds. But my biggest problem is that I cannot smell or taste at all now. Does anyone know how long it take for that to come back? I didn't have this problem with any of my previous surgeries. Does anyone have any advice?
Lori S

United States

#5 Sep 5, 2009
Well, I just had sinus surgery done and a septoplasty on Aug. 20, 2009. I had a great taste bud and great smelling before this surgery. I cannot taste or smell a thing. It was coming back last week, but I went in for a post op appointment and I had a bad infection with green stuff everywhere. The doc used some sort of sucking machine and sucked out the stuff from my nose, mind you this hurts, and he made it bleed all over again. I left there not being able to smell or taste all over again. i cannot take this anymore. If there relief soon?
Lori wrote:
Antonio

United States

#6 Sep 6, 2009
Lori wrote:
I don't want to be discouraging but I have been unable to taste or smell for the last 7 years after a sinus surgery. I mean not even smell gasoline, coffee, smoke, taste dark chocolate or anything. A month ago taking some supplements I recovered my taste and smell but only for a week. Now I have this huge poly visible from my nostril. But one thing is for sure... no more surgery for me...
Meghan

San Antonio, TX

#7 Oct 15, 2009
It took my husband three months to get his smelling bac & his taste at the same time.
Ray

Broadway, NJ

#8 Oct 21, 2009
I lost my smell during routine Endoscopic sinus surgery performed by a very prominent ENT surgeon in Philadelphia in 2001. I’ve been to smell clinics and have realized that no one really quite understand chemosensory perception i.e. it’s much too complicated a sense to fully understand…the sinuses are lined with glands that produce chemicals, proteins, enzymes, etc. needed for the complex process of smell as well as keeping olfactory healthy, physiologically they changed things to the point they no longer do their job hence no smell. The human mind and spirit has the ability to adjust to change, meanwhile try not to suffer needlessly…[email protected] om
Mitzi

New Westminster, Canada

#9 Jul 14, 2011
I had some smell right after the operation, but now I do not smell gasoline, coffee, perfume, wine, flower, after three years. getting worse , and a lot of runy nose. I have terrible life now. My nose was superior function than any other person. Now my life is despeate uncurable.

operation was a big mistake. original nose had harmless problems.
Bob Parkville MO

Kansas City, MO

#10 Jul 15, 2011
I am now 7 months post endoscopic sinus surgery. I had no septoplasty but did have the ethmoid "wall" removed on one side. For the person with the bleeding...did you follow the irrigation procedure religously? I did lose total sense of smell/taste which was horrific for me as I'm a "foodie/wine lover" and also in the flavor business. I slowly recovered maybe 50% of it and then on the 2nd round of "cleaning" 3 weeks later I lost it totally again. It came back slower this time. It has never returned to 100% normal but can now enjoy food & wine although I cannot pick up nuances like I did. I do have a more pronounced "nasaly" voice and can hear the "hollowness" from inside. I am also disappointed that my daily headaches returned so I should have followed a friend's advice to go with an allergist before surgery. I am back to daily 12 hr Sudafed which helps.(I was at my $1000 deductible for 2010 so that influenced my decision--maybe not a wise one) I do have some relief but whether it was worth it I am unsure. Sinus surgery is not a cut & dried remedy.
Phil

Ellenbrook, Australia

#11 Aug 27, 2011
I had sinus surgery 3 years ago now. My nose always felt stuffed up, I had reduced airway passages in my left nostril and my sense of smell had been slowly disappearing for years. My sense of smell came back briefly (after the operation) but now has effectively disappeared. I can stick my face in a tin of petrol/gasoline and not catch a whiff (my house could burn around me and if I relied on smelling smoke...well...too bad). Now, 3 years down the track, no sense of smell, still a feeling of stuffiness but my airways are wider (after a septoplasty). If I think about what I've lost, it does bring a tear to my eye. As for sinus surgery, if you offered me a million dollars to have it, you can keep your money. I'd love someone to come up with an effective means of renuvating our sinuses without having to resort to the ineffective butchery of sinus surgery.

Since: Sep 11

Medford, OR

#12 Sep 14, 2011
mitzi, i am in your same boat exactly. but i am 2 weeks out. have u recovered any of your smell yet??

Since: Sep 11

Medford, OR

#13 Sep 14, 2011
bob, i had a septoplasty with inferior turbinate reduction. my surgeon also opened my maxillary and took my middle turbinates, both of those things were not discussed preop. i too now have a nasally or hyperresonant voice, especially with m, n, and ng. did your voice improve at all? i am 2 weeks out. and unfortunately my sense of smell, which was my keenest sense. i pray it gets better. has yours improved, anything you have done for it?
Greg

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Nov 13, 2011
I had sinus surgery last May, ENT Dr. removed lots of polyp's he said to me. Well, I'm still getting sinus infections about 1 per month. Sore throat, cough, body ache, lots of greenish mucus. My Doctor treats with antibiotics, couph syrup and Advil Cold and Sinus. I can't smell anymore either. I can breath better through my nose since my surgery though. I wonder what is next to get a handle on these recurring infections?
Bob

Overland Park, KS

#15 Nov 14, 2011
I got a good part of smell and taste back thankfully. Not 100% but good enough. Nasaly/hollow/cave like sound still present but believe I hear it more than others. Main issue is continuance of sinus pressure and the continual mild headaches. Now going to allergist who confirmed major grass/fall allergies. CT Scan showed sinus infection so on antibiotics for last 3 weeks. I never do have any colored discharge or major blockage--I wonder if I've had an infection for the entire season....Really not much change. To call back for next steps with allergist? Maybe a diet to check on food allergies. Thinking this is just going to be what it is long term.
CHRIS SHENKER

Peoria, AZ

#16 Dec 11, 2011
i had septum surgery and polyp surgery a year ago now i can smell or taste , is this a dr issue or normal? the left side of norstil is smaller that right. it was reverse before sergery. go figure
CHRIS SHENKER

Peoria, AZ

#17 Dec 11, 2011
cant smell or taste sorry for typo
SMT

Spring, TX

#18 Jan 30, 2012
I've had 3 sinus surgeries. I lost all sense of smell & taste. I used to get a faint touch back while I was on Prednisone but, that doesn't even work now. My Dr. said to take Zinc; that would help...NOT. This has been going on for 11 years now. I was never informed that no smell or tase could be a result of these surgeries. Not Happy.
Bill Monahan

Gillette, WY

#19 Mar 18, 2012
I had sinus surgery 02-07-2012. I'm glad I found this site. I was becoming extremely depressed. My initial sinus surgery resulted in another, emergency surgery 2 hours later due to excessive, post-operative bleeding. I wont get into it, just that I lost so much blood in "recovery," the anesthesiologist (sp?) wanted to leave before the next surgery. Brave guy. Now, if my house burned down I wouldn't know it unless I saw the smoke. I smell nothing, I taste nothing, zero, zippo, nada. Having found this site, I now realize 6 weeks post operative is nothing. I will continue to see the same doctor, although my confidence in him has soured, and hope that some day my sense of smell and taste will return.
joann

Forest Park, IL

#20 Mar 18, 2012
Antonio wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to be discouraging but I have been unable to taste or smell for the last 7 years after a sinus surgery. I mean not even smell gasoline, coffee, smoke, taste dark chocolate or anything. A month ago taking some supplements I recovered my taste and smell but only for a week. Now I have this huge poly visible from my nostril. But one thing is for sure... no more surgery for me...
where did u have surgery???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Migrane headaches after deviated septum surgery (Feb '08) Tue mjspurg 144
My dad just got a quad bypass on his heart but Jul 14 Max73647 1
Nasal polyp removal (Apr '07) Jul 14 Gloria 864
Post Op Back Brace Jul 7 KathyW 1
News Beware of cosmetic surgery practitioners who ar... (Feb '09) May '17 Fart shart 47
News Judge Awards $88K to Surgeon "Forced Out" for D... May '17 Truth 1
sinus surgery (May '06) May '17 James 1,817
More from around the web