toddler speech therapy
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sharon

United States

#1 Jun 4, 2006
My grandson had speech therapy at daycare this year. Now for the summer he doesnt go to that daycare. What can I do with him at home to help him progress. He sometimes is very hard to understand. Grandpa is Gimpa and alot of words are totally uninteligible. Please I need some suggestions!!
sharon

United States

#2 Jun 4, 2006
Additional info he is 4 in August.
Amanda

Alhambra, CA

#3 Jul 1, 2006
He is eligible for therapy from his local school district. They serve preschoolers. Call the school district where he lives
Theresa

New York, NY

#4 Apr 11, 2007
My toddler is 2 years, 3 months and does not say many words. My doctor stated that Head Start offered speech therapy, however when I called you total household income has to be under $17K. Do you know of any other programs for toddlers? I'm in So Cal - Corona area.
Andrea

Hamtramck, MI

#5 Apr 13, 2007
Theresa wrote:
My toddler is 2 years, 3 months and does not say many words. My doctor stated that Head Start offered speech therapy, however when I called you total household income has to be under $17K. Do you know of any other programs for toddlers? I'm in So Cal - Corona area.
Try a pediatric outpatient facility. You can go the American Speech and Hearing Association website www.asha.org and look for a Speech-Language Pathologist in your city. Andrea MA CCC-SLP
CASSIE

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Apr 20, 2007
Theresa wrote:
WE HAVE WONDERFUL RESOURSES AVAILABLE TO US HERE IN CORONA. THE INLAND REGIONAL CENTER WILL COME OUT & DO AN ASSESSMENT IF THEY FIND THAT HE QUALIFIES HE COULD RECEIVE SPEECH THERAPY AT NO COST TO YOU.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL ME [email protected]
I'M HAPPY TO HELP
Johnnie

Berea, KY

#7 Jul 14, 2007
My son will be 4 in September. He has been through a year of preschool with speech therapy. While there has been some improvment, I still am concerned about his speech. He leaves off the first letters of 90% of the words he says. In fact he calls me aaay (daddy). He calls his sister iss instead of sis but he does call his mommy mom-mom. Is this a specific condition or just another unidentified problem?
Any help would be appriciated. Email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Ken

New York, NY

#8 Nov 12, 2008
I have a two year old son that has a rich vocabulary but never opens his mouth. He can say elephant, zebra..train..over 50 words and he can can count to 10 without ever opening his mouth. The thing is we can understand him through his closed lips. It is almost as though he hums the word. We have started researching what to do and it appears that the therapy is the next approach. I am looking for any guidance or if any one else has encountered this.
nrzt50

AOL

#9 Jan 16, 2009
Ken our grandson will be 3 in February and is experiencing the same as your 2 year old son. He has been tested for hearing, mouth structures, and gets OT and ST weekly. No one has ever heard of this. Have you found out any information on this? Thanks in advance. 3749
Tara

United States

#10 Mar 30, 2009
Andrea wrote:
<quoted text>
Try a pediatric outpatient facility. You can go the American Speech and Hearing Association website www.asha.org and look for a Speech-Language Pathologist in your city. Andrea MA CCC-SLP
Have you had much success w/the ASHA? I have a similar situation w/my 22 month old.
Maribe Morales

Corona, CA

#11 May 4, 2009
Hi there I happened to run in to your post while searching for help for my two year old.
I live in Corona and took my little one to have an evaluation from my Doctor which only suggested to wait until he's three to get therapy thru the school district. Never heard of the Inland Regional Center??? Where do I start? I'm willing to do anything I just don't want to wait until he's 3...
CASSIE wrote:
<quoted text>
WE HAVE WONDERFUL RESOURSES AVAILABLE TO US HERE IN CORONA. THE INLAND REGIONAL CENTER WILL COME OUT & DO AN ASSESSMENT IF THEY FIND THAT HE QUALIFIES HE COULD RECEIVE SPEECH THERAPY AT NO COST TO YOU.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL ME [email protected]
I'M HAPPY TO HELP
Lucid Speech

Westminster, CA

#12 May 28, 2009
Ran across your post....please feel free to contact us directly we are a pediatric speech therapy clinic in Murrieta, CA. You can find us on the web at www.lucidspeech.com . We are an Inland Regional Center service provider. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Chris
jena

Pacoima, CA

#13 Jun 6, 2009
Tara wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you had much success w/the ASHA? I have a similar situation w/my 22 month old.
Hi Tara... here's a great solution that worked for us... A book called: The Talking Baby: Simple Tricks And Techniques To Encourage Your Baby To Speak Sooner. Our baby was speaking by 10 months.
Estela

Riverside, CA

#14 Nov 2, 2009
Hi everyone. I have been one of those hesitant mothers hoping her child will grow out of it. but my daughter is not talking very much yet and she is three. the school district told me to seek them out when she is three if she is not talking. well i don't want to go to the school district because I'm afraid they will keep them at a disabled level throughout their stay at the school. well she understands everything. she understands English and Spanish. she tries to speak some words in both languages. but i see she has trouble pronouncing words. but she is very bright and understands everything you ask her to do. One important thing is she is super shy, even with grandparents. even with dad sometimes. she speaks to me, mom, a lot in her own ways. but it's only me she opens up to. Please help she is 3 and she does want to go to school like 5-year-old sis.
LDelany

Irvine, CA

#15 Dec 9, 2009
Johnnie wrote:
My son will be 4 in September. He has been through a year of preschool with speech therapy. While there has been some improvment, I still am concerned about his speech. He leaves off the first letters of 90% of the words he says. In fact he calls me aaay (daddy). He calls his sister iss instead of sis but he does call his mommy mom-mom. Is this a specific condition or just another unidentified problem?
Any help would be appriciated. Email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Has anyone testing your child's hearing?
LDelany

Irvine, CA

#16 Dec 9, 2009
has anyone tested your child's hearing?
Estela

Riverside, CA

#17 Dec 9, 2009
No I haven't had my child tested, but I don't think that is the problem. If she wouldn't be able to hear she wouldn't do half the things or respond to my commands like she does. By the way since I last wrote to this forum, my daughter has improved some what. she is repeating more words, she tries to pronouce them more than before. And while she plays with her older sister she is saying more words on her own. They are not very clear but she is trying. I am sounding out letters before asking her to say the word. so basically I am sort of doing speech exercises the best I can. I am no speech therapist but i do my best. the other day driving into a parking lot at the supermarket she said "Bih tuk" mommy. Then I saw there was a large truck next to us. I was so happy to hear those words! But I still think she needs some kind of speech therapy but the one place I called said I should take her to the school district. I don't want to because when she improves it will take a lot to get her out of those special classes. Ive seen parents go through that and seen how their children suffer because those classes are too much of a low level for them.
Stephanie

Laveen, AZ

#18 Dec 15, 2009
You do have another option. Have you considered online speech therapy? This is very similar to traditional therapy but it can be provided at home using your computer. It is totally secure and the therapists hold the same credentials and licenses as those providing therapy in a clinic or at the school. Try this site http://www.independentspeech.com They customize the sessions to your daughters needs so it is right on target for her.
Good Luck!
Estela

Riverside, CA

#19 Dec 15, 2009
Thank you so much! I will try that. You know I think I will also try to get her ears checked I just found out that even if they respond to you when you talk to them or ask them things they may not be able to hear the low sounds. these may go unnoticed. so now I worry maybe she has something in her ear because she is not delayed in anything else but sounds. but thank you again for providing me this information.
VBala

Saskatoon, Canada

#20 Apr 17, 2010
Hey everyone. My son is 2 years 6 months and says probably less than 10 words. He was first referred to speech therapy at 18 months but we were on such a long waitlist that he didn't get seen by a therapist (for an assessment) until 1.5 months ago. but then the program we were signed up for got cancelled. I am at the point where I'm done waiting for the health system and now looking for private help. I've tried a few methods such as holding out on him until he attempts to say what he wants, letting him have a tantrum in an attempt for him to tell me what he wants, etc. but no luck. Anyone have any ideas/methods that have worked or suggestions for me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Speech Therapy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Making people yawn :( (Aug '06) Feb '17 Paula T 128
Hugh Laurie's speech (Aug '08) Jan '17 Late night Mom 3
sensory therapies - which? Jan '17 Annika 1
News Party gives Regional Rehabilitation fresh start Dec '16 No Chet Akins 4
Speech Therapy Application Nov '16 mdall4 1
Need advise on how to refine twin's speech (Sep '16) Sep '16 Nu2this 1
cynthia (Aug '16) Aug '16 cyntia66 1
More from around the web