Joint Condition
thanksforreading

New York, NY

#1 Jan 18, 2013
Hi Everyone,
I was looking to receive some feedback and/or advice on how to follow-up on a seemingly unusual condition I struggle with on a daily basis which seems to fall into the category of a rheumatology. I figured this might be the place to address the problem since various doctors have acknowledged the description below but were unable to diagnose nor provide any valuables steps on how to move forward. The proper wording to describe is definitely less effective than shock of hearing these simultaneous joint noises in a quiet room. Nonetheless, here is an attempt.
About two years ago I had a sudden onset of widespread loud involuntary joint cracking and clicking. This issue affects my neck, shoulders, elbows, wrist, fingers, back, knees, ankles and more. Typically it causes minor pain but significant discomfort. The apparent sounds that can be heard across the room from the result of minor movements are often embarrassing in professional situations (e.g. hand shakes, presentations). Further, most physical movements are typically restricted until long exercises with each joint until cracking is exhausted (e.g. a long series of shoulder rotations at various angles). The situation seems to always reset each morning.
I appreciate any comments or any insight into what this might be. Although I can certainly move forward with the symptoms being a healthy male in his late twenties. My concern is for the long term consequences of dismissal or if this is a sign of another condition.
Thanks.
Oystein

Ski, Norway

#2 Jun 17, 2013
Hi,
I'm a 43 year old Norwegian experiencing exactly the same symptoms you are. Its been going on for 2-3 months now, but without any pain. I had a major back surgery in February and have appointments with my doctor and PT regularly but neither of them have any clue. Had blood drawn to check for various things but nothing so far. Any change in your condition since you started this tread?

regards,
Oystein
thanksforreading

New York, NY

#3 Jun 19, 2013
Oystein wrote:
Hi,
I'm a 43 year old Norwegian experiencing exactly the same symptoms you are. Its been going on for 2-3 months now, but without any pain. I had a major back surgery in February and have appointments with my doctor and PT regularly but neither of them have any clue. Had blood drawn to check for various things but nothing so far. Any change in your condition since you started this tread?
regards,
Oystein
Hi Oystein. I was afraid at this post might have become lost. So it's a pleasure to hear back from someone else that's experiencing similar phenomena.

There hasn't been much change on a physical level. It's still largely uncomfortable (and at times painful and/or causing anxiety) but one does become somewhat accustomed to it. There's never a staircase that I traverse that doesn't involve the pervasive cracking (or ligament snapping) on every step in my feet, ankles, knees and other strange places in my legs. Since it's widespread, over time I've learned to limit sudden movements whenever possible. Professional meetings or interactions tend to be tough (I've had my major share of handshakes where the cracking in my hands were unavoidably awkward).

One of the few approaches that seems to alleviate the symptoms seems to be prolonged aerobic exercise (eg runnings or elliptical). Although it appears (due to certain pains or otherwise) that such a long workout will not be possible, after 15-20min this dissipates a bit and becomes quite relieving. I'm curious if this might be any kind of indication that this condition is some kind of prolonged result of blood flow issues.
Oystein

Ski, Norway

#4 Jun 21, 2013
Hi! Sorry to hear your condition hasn’t improved since your last post, but I’m glad to see your reply. Seems this is a rare condition and I have not been able to find any information on the net that fits my condition exactly and provide a solution, or at least a diagnosis.
As mentioned in my first post I went through major spinal surgery (spinal fusion) in February and to help me in my recovery I decided to write a diary. Just to keep me going and to have something to look back on sometime in the future. Reading through it I find that my recovery went well the first 2 months, so good in fact that my PT allowed me to push it a bit further. I have always been very active doing all kinds of sports, but my back has limited me more and more the last years leading to the decision of surgery. You can imagine I was more than ready to test my limits when I was allowed. Long story short, I pushed it to far ending up with a bad cold that lasted for about a week. I was totally floored and set way back in my physical recovery. My joint issues started about two weeks after this, and after additional two to three weeks the grinding and popping was in (it seems) all my joints.
My recovery from surgery gives me extra follow up and I meet with my doctor and PT regularly. At first my physician more or less dismissed my symptoms, saying that it did not fit anything. Well, that didn’t help. My PT was more understanding and we discussed blood flow issues and she wanted me to get going on more aerobic exercises. Any other explanation, like muscle weakness could not arise in such a short a time.
Yesterday I spoke with a friend on the phone. She has just finished her education as a physician and she told me to do an ASO test to check if I had streptococcus infection. She told me to google streptococcus and synovial fluid problems, and also told me to look at the symptoms described by rheumatic fever. I have done this but it doesn’t really fit, but when it comes to this streptococcus thing I will make sure to do the test.
I am meeting with another physician next week specializing in physical medicine. I’m anxious to hear his opinion.
Please keep me posted if there is any change in your condition or you find interesting information.
I’ll keep you posted on what’s going on here as well.
Regards,
Oystein
Oystein

Stockholm, Sweden

#5 Sep 9, 2013
thanksforreading wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Oystein. I was afraid at this post might have become lost. So it's a pleasure to hear back from someone else that's experiencing similar phenomena.
There hasn't been much change on a physical level. It's still largely uncomfortable (and at times painful and/or causing anxiety) but one does become somewhat accustomed to it. There's never a staircase that I traverse that doesn't involve the pervasive cracking (or ligament snapping) on every step in my feet, ankles, knees and other strange places in my legs. Since it's widespread, over time I've learned to limit sudden movements whenever possible. Professional meetings or interactions tend to be tough (I've had my major share of handshakes where the cracking in my hands were unavoidably awkward).
One of the few approaches that seems to alleviate the symptoms seems to be prolonged aerobic exercise (eg runnings or elliptical). Although it appears (due to certain pains or otherwise) that such a long workout will not be possible, after 15-20min this dissipates a bit and becomes quite relieving. I'm curious if this might be any kind of indication that this condition is some kind of prolonged result of blood flow issues.
Hi,

Just want to hear from you and find out if you are getting any help. I`m on a downward spiral and it is freaking me out.

regards,
Oystein
thanksforreading

New York, NY

#6 Sep 19, 2013
Oystein wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
Just want to hear from you and find out if you are getting any help. I`m on a downward spiral and it is freaking me out.
regards,
Oystein
Hi Oystein,

I just recently visited a new doctor for a general check-up. It was surprising as I received some real confirmation and concern for the problem. I think this was a luckily situation where the room was quiet enough and the physician patient enough to listen in and hear that every joint from ankles, knees, hips, elbows and wrists were are popping & cracking simultaneously in union.

Unfortunately, he did not personally know what would cause this. I did get a referral for a rheumatologist (this will be my second). Hopefully they will be as receptive as well.

Though on the bright side, I'm still quite functional. Yes, every day can be extremely uncomfortable, frustrating and awkward -- if it is is ignored, as hard as it is, one can live almost normally.

I'll try to keep you up to date if anything changes.

Best,
dave

United States

#7 Oct 28, 2013
try using baxyl it works 4 me health stores 40 bucks ....
Sharon Johanns

United States

#8 Jan 28, 2014
You could try guaifenesin there has been some improvement with that OTC medication. It's a mucolitic expectorant that has been used for muscle and joint pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rheumatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: Compound in Green Tea Could Help Fight R... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ANN 1
News Men With Rheumatoid Arthritis Have Increased Ri... (Sep '12) Jan '16 Lore 18
News Baptism by Radon: Cure for Erectile Dysfunction... (Aug '12) Jan '16 Quattrone 13
HLA-B27 Positive/Negative inflamation tests/chr... (Jan '16) Jan '16 TestQuestion 1
News What is a urologist? What do urologists do? (Dec '14) Jan '16 pailrider 67
News Patients grapple with high cost of arthritis me... (Apr '15) Jul '15 Walnut Fruitcake 2
I'm a board certified Rheumatologist but curren... (Sep '14) May '15 jaris280 3
More from around the web