Settlement reached in radiation overd...

Settlement reached in radiation overdose case; fines dismissed agai...

There are 27 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from May 22, 2010, titled Settlement reached in radiation overdose case; fines dismissed agai.... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

A settlement in a civil suit lodged by the family of a 2-year-old boy allegedly exposed to an overdose of radiation during a test at Mad River Community Hospital in 2008 was filed in Humboldt County Superior Court on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tokester

Eureka, CA

#1 May 22, 2010
I had xrays there .... Should I worry ?? T
just a reader

Oakland, CA

#2 May 22, 2010
after he fell out of his bed and injured his neck.

shaken baby syndrome do ya think?
Special

Arcata, CA

#3 May 22, 2010
"Jacoby Roth has had no adverse effects from the radiation." the bottom line here folks. We just don't know as stated in the article what the future holds.

A correct decision has been made. And, that it was a good lesson we all need to learn from.

Sad story from the start but there we go again, thinking ourselves on the level of the gods.

Good luck and long life to you, Jacoby: hope you don't grow up (like so many kids today) blaming any little thing that happens to you like bad grades in Algebra on this incident.
Umm

Livermore, CA

#4 May 22, 2010
Uh, yeah, 'just a reader', because toddlers never fall out of their beds. You're obviously not a parent. You're a pinhead.
Ponder z

Arcata, CA

#5 May 22, 2010
Knickerbocker was fired,??? she should be in jail. Criminal malpractice. This boy will go through life waiting for cancer. I hope MRCH payed the family well to relive their guilt. How much would it take?

Knickerbocker should be on permanent suspension. MRCH is full of incompetent PROFECINALS in the medical field. Stay away form there.
Phoo

Covelo, CA

#6 May 22, 2010
How do you settle when you can't determine damage? This is insane.
Phoo

Covelo, CA

#7 May 22, 2010
John Stockett meet your soul mate John Edwards, and thank you so much for driving medical costs up for people who really need it. You worm.
Kuzinski

Modesto, CA

#8 May 22, 2010
I'm sure there were articles written previous to this one that went into more detail, but, how did Raven Knickerbocker happen to administer this overdose? Did she mis-calculate? Mis-interprete the data? Hit an incorrect button? Was she just careless and reckless? Raven K. had a job which, other than this incident, hopefully she was doing well. Perhaps after this she will be more careful than any other radiologist would ever think of being. What does she do now?

Hopefully there are no affects from this to the child, but as a parent, we always worry about "things" happening to our child. Did we feed them the right foods, were the foods tainted, should I have spanked them or should I have not? Life is full of variables and for every decision made the results lay out there in the future, somewhere.

Good luck to all involved.
Cedric

Grand Prairie, TX

#9 May 22, 2010
-Fake Vacaville nurse sentencing postponed
PUBLISHED BY THE REPORTER
Posted: 05/05/2010 01:05:31 AM PDT

www.thereporter.com/ci_15020627...
Maria

Grand Prairie, TX

#10 May 22, 2010
Tokester wrote:
I had xrays there .... Should I worry ?? T
Are your hair or teeth falling out from other then meth use?
Deana

San Francisco, CA

#12 May 22, 2010
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/vacaville-r...
Cedric wrote:
-Fake Vacaville nurse sentencing postponed
PUBLISHED BY THE REPORTER
Posted: 05/05/2010 01:05:31 AM PDT
www.thereporter.com/ci_15020627...
Sal

Grand Prairie, TX

#11 May 22, 2010
Phoo wrote:
How do you settle when you can't determine damage? This is insane.
You leave it open to future medical care, etc.
Sal

Grand Prairie, TX

#13 May 22, 2010
Phoo wrote:
John Stockett meet your soul mate John Edwards, and thank you so much for driving medical costs up for people who really need it. You worm.
Stop sweating your sorry ace! Obama(D) Care is your future care... now you have something to worry about!
SNaFU

Eureka, CA

#14 May 22, 2010
Doug Shaw only cares about himself & MRCH shareholders, not the victims.
Compassion is 'not' any of his concerns.
Porkchop

Eureka, CA

#15 May 22, 2010
Sal wrote:
<quoted text> Stop sweating your sorry ace! Obama(D) Care is your future care... now you have something to worry about!
Well said!
MDB

United States

#16 May 22, 2010
I know this family...the tech was talking incessantly while dosing this baby. What breaks my heart is that the hospital would fight the fine..as if this mishap was routine....Try to imagine if this happened to you, to your baby.
And while Jacoby is good for now, the parents can only watch, hope and pray.
some history

Eureka, CA

#17 May 22, 2010
from the New York Times...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/us/16radiat...

... a 2 -year-old boy complaining of neck pain after falling off his bed has led to the revocation of an X-ray technicians state license for subjecting the child to more than an hour of CT scans. The procedure normally takes two or three minutes.

The hospitals radiology manager at the time, Bruce Fleck, called the overdose a rogue act of insanity. Robert Schlag, chief of the states division of Food, Drug and Radiation Safety, said it was one of the more egregious, extreme cases that I have ever seen.

The Arcata case is considered particularly disturbing because children are more vulnerable to the long-term effects of radiation, including cancer.

For reasons not yet fully understood, the X-ray technologist, Raven Knickerbocker, activated the CT scan 151 times on the same area, state investigators concluded. A normal test involves some 25 images, Mr. Schlag said...
some history

Eureka, CA

#18 May 22, 2010
from the TS
http://www.times-standard.com/ci_10962540

"Don L. Stockett, the Roths' attorney, said a sample of Jacoby's blood was sent to a DNA expert to be analyzed, and it was found Jacoby has severely damaged chromosomes.

Stockett said cancer is now a high probability, but Jacoby has not shown any other symptoms yet beyond the radiation burns he got the day of the scan. Stockett said the hospital terminated Knickerbocker shortly after the incident."

Not a MRCH fan anyway

Orange, CA

#19 May 22, 2010
Ponder z wrote:
Knickerbocker was fired,??? she should be in jail. Criminal malpractice. This boy will go through life waiting for cancer. I hope MRCH payed the family well to relive their guilt. How much would it take?
Knickerbocker should be on permanent suspension. MRCH is full of incompetent PROFECINALS in the medical field. Stay away form there.
It would be sad to think that Raven Knickerbocker wrongfully administed the scans maliciously which almost seems implied by all the negativity she's receiving. It might be that she wasn't fully trained for her position or that maybe MRCH had her in a position she wasn't qualified for. The medication for the scans is administered through a delivery system attached to a computer, too. It would seem that the computer would have a warning trigger to alert the operator that the dosage for the patient was too high (the patient information is in the system). This whole thing just sounds fishy.
Public Option Supporter

San Francisco, CA

#20 May 22, 2010
Not a MRCH fan anyway wrote:
<quoted text>
It would seem that the computer would have a warning trigger to alert the operator that the dosage for the patient was too high (the patient information is in the system). This whole thing just sounds fishy.
The articles don't give much detail on the investigation into the incident. Even if the CAT scan machine malfunctioned, as the tech hypothesized, she should have very soon recognized that the scan was taking longer than a normal scan -- 65 minutes instead of a typical two minutes.(Was she stoned or what?) Computer controls in the CAT scan machine, which have been around for a long time, should be fail-safe, but there's always the possibility that an obscure bug in the software may have been stumbled upon in this scan. This incident brings to mind the tragic case of a high-energy radiation therapy machine called the Therac-25, which killed several patients due to bad software in it. In one case, the tech went through the normal input procedure but made an error and did a "delete" and then re-entered the settings on the machine's keyboard. The software failed to recognize that the machine's internal shield was left in the wrong position after the delete, and a severe radiation overdose occurred, which eventually killed the patient. A CAT scan is much lower energy output than the Therac was, but still the radiation burn of this child occurred. I wonder whether the software in that particular model of CAT scan has been thoroughly scrutinized for obscure bugs. Software can kill. Think about the Toyota control systems which have been suspect in the runaway acceleration cases. I wonder whether the whole truth has been discovered here. Since the case was settled, the whole truth may never come out. Doesn't the public deserve better?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Radiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MRI / CT / Ultrasound / X-Ray E-Learning Course... Jul '15 MedicalPro 1
News Contract jobs at PMCH Jul '15 t-art 4
Hitachi Aperto vs Hitachi Airis II Jul '15 t-art 3
MRI Abdomen W & W/O Contrast, CPT 741830 Jun '15 krdm999 1
Sinus CT scan safe? (Mar '06) Jun '15 fahad 78
3 ct scans in a month! (Mar '10) May '15 Grove street 8
News Why Some Doctors Are Hesitant To Screen Smokers... Apr '15 Schmones 1
More from around the web