CT-scan variances may cause cancers |...

CT-scan variances may cause cancers | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 4 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 15, 2009, titled CT-scan variances may cause cancers | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Widespread overuse of CT scans and variations in radiation levels from different machines are subjecting patients to high radiation doses that will lead to tens of thousands of new cancer cases and as many as 15,000 deaths each year the scanners are used, researchers reported today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

mtp

Greenwood, IN

#1 Dec 15, 2009
What this article fails to mention is the benefit that comes from a CT scan. A CTA of the cornary arteries may save your life.
ccb

Atlanta, GA

#2 Dec 15, 2009
I do agree CT scans are a necessary part of diagnosing illnesses and saving lives, physicians and patients themselves need to know how many/type scans they are getting in a certain time frame and need to check charts/reports of prior CT scans and decide if it is necessary to repeat/follow up a CT scan. Maily if it is a matter of life or death, then a repeat CT is necessary; otherwise give a person time to heal.
RTjeff

Cleveland, OH

#3 Dec 16, 2009
It is also important to remember that an occasional scan's risk must be outweighed by the benefit for diagnostic purposes. Once someone has known disease, especially cancer, the risk-to-benefit ratio changes dramatically, and more frequent scanning is often necessary to assess the effectiveness of treatment. I certainly advocate lower dose in all cases, as much as is reasonably achievable.
Rad1

Saint Charles, MO

#4 Dec 22, 2009
Doesn't help when physicians over order due to the threat of being sued if nothing is done.

Unfortunately, patients usually don't care enough to question the necessity of getting a scan. We live in a fast food mentality society. Patients want something done, and they want it now. So doctors over order test to get em out of the office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Radiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MAs & Radiologists- how do you currently schedu... Apr '17 meganDesigner 1
3 ct scans in a month! (Mar '10) Mar '17 jennyct 16
News Vancouver radiologists to re-read thousands of ... Mar '17 Kafka 1
When is the best time for a 3D/4D Ultrasound? (Jun '16) Feb '17 Rachel Lannister 2
Sinus CT scan safe? (Mar '06) Feb '17 Rob O 83
News Norman Regional Health System accused of fraudu... (Jan '17) Jan '17 blackandwhite 1
mri reading/results help please.soon (Dec '16) Dec '16 tsanford312 1
More from around the web