'Let him die' decision sane - not a lot of suffering: doctor

Aug 14, 2009 Full story: www.smh.com.au 11

Quadriplegic man Christian Rossiter could take up to two weeks to die and the process "doesn't involve a lot of suffering", a palliative care expert says.

Full Story

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#1 Aug 14, 2009
So yeah - do the humane thing and let him starve to death!!!

If we did that to an animal we'd be fined heavily or put in jail.

Sort of puts humans in a different perspective with less "rights" than animals...

Starvation is not without pain as the body starts to break down. First the kidneys, liver and so on - the body becomes toxic and then the heart finally stops. Lack of fluids kill you far quicker than lack of food. So I hope they actually do the 'right' thing and increase his pain medication rather quickly.
TBA

Gymea, Australia

#2 Aug 14, 2009
Gottaliv wrote:
Sort of puts humans in a different perspective with less "rights" than animals...
Starvation is not without pain as the body starts to break down. First the kidneys, liver and so on - the body becomes toxic and then the heart finally stops. Lack of fluids kill you far quicker than lack of food. So I hope they actually do the 'right' thing and increase his pain medication rather quickly.
Been through this hideous experience lately with a loved one and it is the most inhumane thing imaginable. Most docs won't even increase the morphine for a few days.
We are much kinder to animals.

“Ngali”

Perth

#3 Aug 14, 2009
Gottaliv wrote:
It's his choice.

WhereTFamI?

#4 Aug 14, 2009
ngali wrote:
<quoted text>
It's his choice.
Because he's not allowed to have or be given any other.

“Ngali”

Perth

#5 Aug 14, 2009
So, you're saying he should be allowed to have the choice of ways to die - rather than dragging it out?
TBA

Gymea, Australia

#6 Aug 14, 2009
ngali wrote:
So, you're saying he should be allowed to have the choice of ways to die - rather than dragging it out?
Not sure about Gotta, but as someone who has been through it, it would be much more humane to inject a lethal dose of nembutal. Starvation and dehydration sometimes takes over a week and it is NOT humane in any way.

WhereTFamI?

#7 Aug 14, 2009
ngali wrote:
Yes I'm saying that with 100% conviction.
Ozchic

Australia

#8 Aug 15, 2009
Interesting story. From what I've read he himself has said that he may be able to have his mind changed which says to me he may not be serious about his wanting to die if he can be talked out of it.

I also do agree that he should have the choice but it should not be made by a doctor and its unbeliveably inhumane to let anything on this earth starve that way in agony.

WhereTFamI?

#9 Aug 16, 2009
Ozchic wrote:
Interesting story. From what I've read he himself has said that he may be able to have his mind changed which says to me he may not be serious about his wanting to die if he can be talked out of it.
I'd say he's very serious about wanting to be out of what he sees as his miserable non-life. But doctors etc will make sure he knows every detail of the process he'll go through and that can be off-putting in itself. Him saying "...but I could be talked out of it" might be because he's already been told, or it could be an unsaid request/desire for a better option offering a better life than he has.

Starvation is a painful process but it's been said he'll be given 'pain relief' when he gets to that stage, and also sedated. So in actual fact he will be partly 'euthanased' in a very round about way but the body shutting down will be the actual cause of death. If that happens I'm positive a toxicology will be done afterwards to make sure he wasn't "overdosed" with any drug.
Ozchic

Australia

#10 Aug 16, 2009
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say he's very serious about wanting to be out of what he sees as his miserable non-life. But doctors etc will make sure he knows every detail of the process he'll go through and that can be off-putting in itself. Him saying "...but I could be talked out of it" might be because he's already been told, or it could be an unsaid request/desire for a better option offering a better life than he has.
Starvation is a painful process but it's been said he'll be given 'pain relief' when he gets to that stage, and also sedated. So in actual fact he will be partly 'euthanased' in a very round about way but the body shutting down will be the actual cause of death. If that happens I'm positive a toxicology will be done afterwards to make sure he wasn't "overdosed" with any drug.
If its his entire decision, then fine, but I have a problem with involuntary passive euthanasia.

Pain relief cannot relieve the horror of starvation, its a very cruel thing to do in my opinion, its better he is given an overdose of an morphine if he wants to die. That is a humane way of doing it, starvation is just cruel and imaginable horror.

The very fact that he has been quoted as saying he could be talked out of it only confuses the matter and unless he signed a document saying it is his absolute and final decision, I would not do it as a doctor.
TBA

Gymea, Australia

#11 Aug 16, 2009
Ozchic wrote:
<quoted text>
If its his entire decision, then fine, but I have a problem with involuntary passive euthanasia.
Pain relief cannot relieve the horror of starvation, its a very cruel thing to do in my opinion, its better he is given an overdose of an morphine if he wants to die. That is a humane way of doing it, starvation is just cruel and imaginable horror.
The very fact that he has been quoted as saying he could be talked out of it only confuses the matter and unless he signed a document saying it is his absolute and final decision, I would not do it as a doctor.
Nobody will administer a fatal overdose of morphine for the dying. There are many legal implications. I think some do, but they don't tell the relatives who might sue them in the future, even if they are begging for itin the present.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palliative Care Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terminal cancer care should do more to treat de... Feb 26 Yolanda 1
Palliative Care Feb 6 Old corpse 2
Access to palliative care needed for all those ... Dec '14 Fiberals no help 1
Palliative care Nov '14 Zach 1
November is national home care and hospice month Nov '14 Calvin James 1
Cotswold Care Hospice is calling for more suppo... Oct '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
Hospice care used more, but often too late (Feb '13) Sep '14 Robinwilliams 5
More from around the web