Court: Angel's Gate animal hospice ca...

Court: Angel's Gate animal hospice can stay open -

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 25, 2007, titled Court: Angel's Gate animal hospice can stay open -. In it, Newsday reports that:

The animals at Angel's Gate still have a home. A state Supreme Court decision issued Wednesday allows Angel's Gate owners Susan Marino and Victor LaBruna to keep the hospice in their Fort Salonga home, despite ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lisa

Englishtown, NJ

#1 Sep 25, 2007
The people complaining about the place sound like those idiots who move near a airport and complain about the noise and the traffic, They moved in the neighborhood knowing that shelter was there. Next time before they move into a neighborhood they need to check it out first.
FastJack

Orlando, FL

#2 Sep 25, 2007
Hooray!! Smithtown was becoming the Michael Vicktown with their witch hunt of Angel's Gate! Susan and Victor, long may you stay! And thanks for all the terrific, compassionate care you give to the throwaways of our society.
Crooked Politics

Bronx, NY

#3 Sep 26, 2007
If only the good folks who run Angels Gate had paid Pat Vecchio off (a fat donation to his Friends of Vecchio Fund) they wouldn't have had to go through this. Glad to see that the court did the right thing and out this crooked town in its place.
Crooked Politics

Bronx, NY

#4 Sep 26, 2007
Sorry - put this crooked town in its place.
Anna

New York, NY

#5 Sep 26, 2007
This is so wonderful, don't let the scum chase you away.
A Smithtown Family

Shelton, CT

#6 Sep 26, 2007
It’s been disheartening to see our Town Board co-opted by a couple of residents to target another. The creation of zoning regulations targeting a resident’s otherwise lawful use of her property was so arrogant, such a transparent abuse of power, that we can only conclude the Town Board expected Susan Marino would cave and run, that a judge’s eyes would never look at the record of their actions.

Patrick Vecchio and his bobbleheads on the Town Board acted without regard for the consequences of using their power to target a lawful resident. They ignored the advice of counsel. We would like to see them held personally liable to reimburse Smithtown for the legal fees it has paid, and will pay, in this matter. It’s a shame that the only member of the Town Board who challenged Patrick Vecchio and warned against the creation of targeting zoning lost the recent primary. Hers were the only words that reflected appreciation of the fiduciary duty of Town Board members to act for the benefit of Smithtown.

Our family is thankful that Susan Marino fought to protect the freedom of a Smithtown property owner to live as she chooses within the law. If we didn’t value that freedom, we’d be in a Manhattan co-op with a board comprised of neighbors dictating the minutia of our lives - how many garbage pails our family may put out for collection, how many visitors we may welcome, and how many well-cared-for pets may reside in our home. Until then, or until Smithtown becomes such a place, we remain Smithtown residents.
Barbara

Bronx, NY

#7 Sep 26, 2007
There is finally justice for Susan, Victor,and all their volunteers. They are loving, caring and compassionate people who give their time to care for the less fortunate.
They deserve to live in peace, and take care of the animals in their care without the annoyance of neighbors without anything better to do with their time.
God Bless Angels Gate.
Barbara

Bronx, NY

#8 Sep 26, 2007
lisa wrote:
The people complaining about the place sound like those idiots who move near a airport and complain about the noise and the traffic, They moved in the neighborhood knowing that shelter was there. Next time before they move into a neighborhood they need to check it out first.
I've been to Angels Gate many times, and believe me, the neighbors make alot more noise than the beautiful animals living at Angels Gate. It's only a few neighbors causing all the problems, and mainly because two of them were fired from their jobs and have nothing else to do.
The neighbors have also vandalized several of the volunteers' cars while they were inside helping care for these disabled animals.
If anybody should be "run out of town" if would be these nasty, heartless, and dangerous neighbors.
lisa

Englishtown, NJ

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been to Angels Gate many times, and believe me, the neighbors make alot more noise than the beautiful animals living at Angels Gate. It's only a few neighbors causing all the problems, and mainly because two of them were fired from their jobs and have nothing else to do.
The neighbors have also vandalized several of the volunteers' cars while they were inside helping care for these disabled animals.
If anybody should be "run out of town" if would be these nasty, heartless, and dangerous neighbors.
I agree. I have a 3 rescue dogs myself so I feel people who0 run a place like Angles Gate are good example of everyday heroes we have walking among us.
I cannot believe the heartlessness of the people who complained. My guess is that the people who run Angel's Gate have gone above what the average person does to make sure they are not a nuisance. I was shocked they were even trying to get rid of a place that has been there for years. Who are these nasty neighbors? And who do they know? Don't they see how mean and cold hearted not to mention dumb they come off as.
FastJack

Orlando, FL

#10 Sep 27, 2007
Susan Marino is the pioneer of canine hydrotherapy in this country - only in the last five years has physical therapy for animal companions been part of the veterinary curricula in this country. And that inclusion is directly traced to Susan and her phenomenal work. She is highly respected by veterinarians from every major vet school. She has taught people from all over this country how to get dogs moving again after catastrophic injuries and long before she began working with animals, she worked in pediatric nursing. This is the person and her work that Smithtown deemed undesirable? Incredible!
its all great

Peekskill, NY

#11 Sep 27, 2007
An animal rescue shelter does NOT belong in the middle of a residential street.
Satchy

AOL

#12 Sep 27, 2007
People need to get a life and do a little volunteering themselves...Angels' Gate does what it says, helps animals...I can't stand people who don't have lives and yet find time to complain about GOOD people..
Susy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#13 Oct 10, 2007
Angel's Gate commitment to the disabled animals is unquestionable, however, noise is a health hazard, there is a lot of research showing that unwanted noise invading the privacy of your home causes heart disease, increased blood pressure, stress, etc. Their commitment to the animals should not go beyond their civil responsibility of not making the neighborhood an unhealthy and uncomfortable place for the residents nearby.
Only those who have to live near an animal shelter that does not show any respect for the neighbors fully understand the effects of unwanted intruding noise in their lives.
To those who said that complaining about animal noise is like complaining about airport noise when you move near an airport, I have to say, that animal noise is unregulated, a dog bark can reach up to 100dB, while airport noise is regulated by FAA, and at 65dB the residents of a nearby airport are eligible for federal grants to insulate their properties, above 75dB, the airport buys the affected properties. Roadway noise is also regulated by DOT, and at 65dB they install noise barriers.
There is a great need to educate the public in general and the legislators in particular about the health effects of noise. I would like to quote former Surgeon General William H. Stewart regarding noise:“Those things within man’s power to control which impact upon the individual in a negative way, which infringe upon his sense of integrity, and interrupt his pursuit of fulfillment, are hazards to public health. Calling noise a nuisance is like calling smog an inconvenience.”
Steve

Houston, TX

#14 Oct 10, 2007
I couldn't agree with Susy more!! It's amazing that only ONE poster agreed with the put-upon neighbors who are forced to endure all the unending, unnecessary noise being force-fed into their homes! A dog shelter IS a business and it has no business being in a residential neighborhood. Residential neighborhoods are designed to put the interests of humans first and foremost ... not those of noisy dogs.
Suzy, great point you made about a dog bark generating 100dB of unnecessary noise (which could easily be stopped, if anyone cared to stop it), while airports are forbidden to make more than 75dB of noise (without serious consequences). If the arrogant owners of the "dog shelter" cared half as much about their human neighbors as they cared about those stupid, noisy mutts, there probably wouldn't be any complaints in the first place.
FastJack

Orlando, FL

#15 Oct 10, 2007
Steve wrote:
I couldn't agree with Susy more!! It's amazing that only ONE poster agreed with the put-upon neighbors who are forced to endure all the unending, unnecessary noise being force-fed into their homes! A dog shelter IS a business and it has no business being in a residential neighborhood. Residential neighborhoods are designed to put the interests of humans first and foremost ... not those of noisy dogs.
Suzy, great point you made about a dog bark generating 100dB of unnecessary noise (which could easily be stopped, if anyone cared to stop it), while airports are forbidden to make more than 75dB of noise (without serious consequences). If the arrogant owners of the "dog shelter" cared half as much about their human neighbors as they cared about those stupid, noisy mutts, there probably wouldn't be any complaints in the first place.
Angels Gate was there LONG before the area was rezoned residential - that's the whole point of the ruling - that Angel's Gate had been established prior to the rezoning to residential and that the town's ordinance was directed against that one particular nonprofit - which is NOT a business as Susan and Victor do not make a profit and provide their services through pro bono and volunteers.
Honch

Nesconset, NY

#16 Oct 10, 2007
I can't wait until they tell the animals!
They are gonna be so happy!
Well, until they remember that they are on death row!
Whatever, they're only stupid animals!
Melanie

Moultrie, GA

#17 Oct 10, 2007
I agree with Susy. If the animal hospice can't be relocated to a safe location away from human dwellings, the town should have to buy all the surrounding residential properties and declare them uninhabitable and the animal shelter needs to install sound barriers if they wish to continue operating. Perhaps the town can put a landfill or an industrial park or something around the animal hospice. It isn't fit for human habitation - noise is a destructive force. Its should be treated the same as a toxic chemical factory - located in a residental neighborhood. The owners of the toxic factory think what their doing is more important than the health of their neighbors. They can come up with some legal reason why they should be allowed to continue exposing the neighbors to toxins, so the town has to take whatever action necessary to protect human lives.
FastJack

Orlando, FL

#18 Oct 11, 2007
Let's see - what is about the word "hospice" that you folks don't understand?

Since: Nov 07

Scarsdale, NY

#19 Dec 9, 2007
Melanie wrote:
I agree with Susy. If the animal hospice can't be relocated to a safe location away from human dwellings, the town should have to buy all the surrounding residential properties and declare them uninhabitable and the animal shelter needs to install sound barriers if they wish to continue operating. Perhaps the town can put a landfill or an industrial park or something around the animal hospice. It isn't fit for human habitation - noise is a destructive force. Its should be treated the same as a toxic chemical factory - located in a residental neighborhood. The owners of the toxic factory think what their doing is more important than the health of their neighbors. They can come up with some legal reason why they should be allowed to continue exposing the neighbors to toxins, so the town has to take whatever action necessary to protect human lives.
Apparently you don't live in Smithtown and should
not give an opinion unless you see it for yourself..
anyone who is helping the less fortunate...and
in this case animals.. should be allowed to have
their facility wherever they want it (they were
there before this became a "neighborhood").....
I am very happy for these people and applaud their
work and dedication.....wish more people knew the
plight of animals and cared enough to help....
Linda

AOL

#20 Apr 28, 2008
After watching today the story about Angels Gate and seeing all of the wonderful love and compassion this woman has for these dogs I am sooooooooooooooo happy that they can stay where they are.. what has this world become when people are so cruel as to hurt and abuse little animals for the sake of pleasure or God knows what.. Please keep up the good work and may God please you and all of Gods little creatures..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palliative Care Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bedside comfort and joy: Staff at Baptist, OCH ... Dec 25 Enough 1
Learn the Truth About Hospice Sep '16 FreeChic 1
News Danbury Hospital Launches Outpatient Palliative... (Jun '16) Jun '16 ELISE GINGERICH 1
News ARCH thrilled with funding increase (2 photos)G... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Thomas 1
News When to give up: Treatment or comfort for late-... (Jun '16) Jun '16 betty 2
News The report reveals some categories of people re... (May '16) May '16 Rick Santpornum 2
News Palliative care viewed as a stigma, despite imp... (Apr '16) Apr '16 HAPPY TOWN HOLIDAY 2
More from around the web