Torn Left Pectoral Muscle - Surgery R...
Ken

AOL

#932 Apr 10, 2010
Roleee,
As my recovery progresses I will be better able to answer your questions. I am very curious as to what mine will look like. I have great confidence in my surgeon and feel great about having it done. I am not sure about all the different types of tears and the variations in technique to fix them. My uneducated guess is this: most surgeons can re-attach the tendon to the bone - but what differs wit Dr Schepsis is that he has figured out a way to capture and stretch the entire pec muscle to where it needs to go. This is what I think separates him from the other surgeons. This in fact is what he is documenting and believe writing a book on.
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#933 Apr 12, 2010
Dr. Schepsis assistant Heather just called me for a 6 month follow up, told her about my positive progress. She said 100% recovery is most often 8 months to a year.

Did 25 pushups the other day with no prob. Also bench pressed 145 on the barbell for 10 reps pretty easily, which is the most i've done on flat bench since surgery. Also did 55lb dumbbells for 10 reps on the incline with ease. Though I discovered an exercise which stressed my shoulder - decline bench. The pec felt ok when doing them but caused a lot of discomfort in my shoulder area. Another exercise I'm cutting out for a while.
Ken

AOL

#934 Apr 12, 2010
Gorilla Pound wrote:
Dr. Schepsis assistant Heather just called me for a 6 month follow up, told her about my positive progress. She said 100% recovery is most often 8 months to a year.
Did 25 pushups the other day with no prob. Also bench pressed 145 on the barbell for 10 reps pretty easily, which is the most i've done on flat bench since surgery. Also did 55lb dumbbells for 10 reps on the incline with ease. Though I discovered an exercise which stressed my shoulder - decline bench. The pec felt ok when doing them but caused a lot of discomfort in my shoulder area. Another exercise I'm cutting out for a while.
I was always big on push ups. Glad to hear this is something that I can work my way back to. Mentally I will need to get over the fear of re-tearing. I will give plenty of time for tendon to heal before I start. The decline bench is what I was doing when I tore my left PEC. I had 275Lbs on the bar and when I had the bar just about all the way down the muscle went with two big pulls. I will never do the decline again. I really don't have a problem with staying away from the heavy lifting - not really my thing. I was having a problem with my right hip and joined the gym so I could do some lifting since I could not do my running and swimming. I have played sports and have always concentrated on Cardio first. I did lift weights to augment my workouts and add strength to my game.
Augie Priore

Wexford, PA

#935 Apr 15, 2010
Rolee, In looking at the 2 tears you had listed:
My first tear looked just like cena's, muscle belly dropping and not firing off. The second tear looked like your first pick. IE the muscle bulging into the center of the chest.These are what they looked like before both surgeries. From the sounds of it your pec is recovering fine. Don't worry about how it looks compared to the other one, it will bounce back. The fact that you are able to do pushups at this point speaks volumes. If you had issues with the muscle/tendons pushups would be out of the question. As long as the muscle is firing off and you don't notice anything else with the mechanics of movement, other than the tightness I wouldn't sweat it. I wouldn't get paranoid unless it really is somehow not feeling right or flexing right. I do think you should take it easy til a year out of surgery. I would work on range of motion and light work. No where in your workout should there be pain. It just seems like to much of a risk considering surgery wasn't all that long ago. Just my opinion, good luck.
Gorilla Pound

Paterson, NJ

#936 Apr 16, 2010
Anyone have any problems with their elbow on their repaired side? I felt crazy tightness in my elbow right after surgery and had to constantly stretch it...that tightness feeling subsided after some time but now whenever i put any stress on the elbow it feels a little throbbing and painful - like during the first couple pushups it feels like its full of rust, kind of arthritic. Figured being in a sling for that long would cause make the elbow need loosening but its been 6 months and still hurts.
Ken

AOL

#937 Apr 17, 2010
I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have not felt any tightness in my elbow. I do get shoulder pain from wearing this sling. For the most part this soulder pain is the only pain I experience.

Since: Jan 10

Bratislava, Slovakia

#938 Apr 17, 2010
Augie Priore wrote:
Rolee, In looking at the 2 tears you had listed:
My first tear looked just like cena's, muscle belly dropping and not firing off. The second tear looked like your first pick. IE the muscle bulging into the center of the chest.These are what they looked like before both surgeries. From the sounds of it your pec is recovering fine. Don't worry about how it looks compared to the other one, it will bounce back. The fact that you are able to do pushups at this point speaks volumes. If you had issues with the muscle/tendons pushups would be out of the question. As long as the muscle is firing off and you don't notice anything else with the mechanics of movement, other than the tightness I wouldn't sweat it. I wouldn't get paranoid unless it really is somehow not feeling right or flexing right. I do think you should take it easy til a year out of surgery. I would work on range of motion and light work. No where in your workout should there be pain. It just seems like to much of a risk considering surgery wasn't all that long ago. Just my opinion, good luck.
AP, thank you for your mental support :) It think, the movement mechanics are ok, except of the tightness. The muscle is still rock hard where it is sewn back, even if relaxed. I think, its the scar tissue. Can you recommend something that can speed up recovery? Any special stretching exercises?
Thanks again and good luck to you too!

Since: Jan 10

Bratislava, Slovakia

#939 Apr 17, 2010
Gorilla Pound wrote:
Anyone have any problems with their elbow on their repaired side? I felt crazy tightness in my elbow right after surgery and had to constantly stretch it...that tightness feeling subsided after some time but now whenever i put any stress on the elbow it feels a little throbbing and painful - like during the first couple pushups it feels like its full of rust, kind of arthritic. Figured being in a sling for that long would cause make the elbow need loosening but its been 6 months and still hurts.
GP, its exactly the same with me!! I need to "warm up" my elbow with 2 sets of 5-10 light pushups. After that I can do pushups, or benchpress without that cracky, rusty feeling... And sometimes I can feel tingling from my tricep to elbow.
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#940 Apr 17, 2010
Roleee wrote:
<quoted text>
GP, its exactly the same with me!! I need to "warm up" my elbow with 2 sets of 5-10 light pushups. After that I can do pushups, or benchpress without that cracky, rusty feeling... And sometimes I can feel tingling from my tricep to elbow.
Yea its just that for me too...The first 5 pushups hurt like crazy, but then after that its ok. Same with bench pressing, its just real stiff during the first few reps.
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#941 Apr 17, 2010
mike

Raleigh, NC

#942 Apr 17, 2010
You all seem to know what your talking about. I can not afford to get surgery now but hopefully down the road. I injured my pec over a year ago. I am a little weaker. I have not had any bruising but some discomfort. I can workout chest, and feel fine except for bench press. After bench I get extremely sore in my shoulder. You experiences sound much worse than mine. Is it possible I just partially tore it? There is only a slight deformity in my chest.
Sean

Farmington, MI

#943 Apr 19, 2010
Ken wrote:
I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have not felt any tightness in my elbow. I do get shoulder pain from wearing this sling. For the most part this soulder pain is the only pain I experience.
Yeah im 11 days after surgery and shoulder is sore from sling and sleeping sucks due to not being able to get comfortable cause shoulder pain.
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#944 Apr 19, 2010
Sean wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah im 11 days after surgery and shoulder is sore from sling and sleeping sucks due to not being able to get comfortable cause shoulder pain.
In terms of your shoulder pain, theres a lot more where that came from lol.
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#945 Apr 19, 2010
Played some basketball yesterday and I grabbed a rebound and one of my teammates broke away down court...So I made a football throw with the basketball to him and it was at that time I realized how weak my shoulder still is!! Jeez, the basketball felt like it was 30lbs. I put so much effort in to the throw that I actually thought I over threw him ...only to realize I was easily 2 feet short and threw it straight to the other team. I musta looked like I had the arm strength of a girl.
BAM

Clifton, NJ

#946 Apr 20, 2010
I completely tore my pec almost 5 years ago while grappling. This injury has affected my life virtually every day since then. I thought there was no hope for a surgical fix until I read this thread. Thanks everybody for all your stories.

I've consulted with Dr. Schepsis's assistant over then phone already, and I'm getting an MRI today to send to him. Crossing my fingers that he'll be able to help and I'll finally feel normal again...
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#947 Apr 20, 2010
BAM wrote:
I completely tore my pec almost 5 years ago while grappling. This injury has affected my life virtually every day since then. I thought there was no hope for a surgical fix until I read this thread. Thanks everybody for all your stories.
I've consulted with Dr. Schepsis's assistant over then phone already, and I'm getting an MRI today to send to him. Crossing my fingers that he'll be able to help and I'll finally feel normal again...
I know the feeling, I lived with a full tear for 2 1/2 years and it affected me in virtually every way also. But as for crossing your fingers, no need for that. Sure as the sky is blue Dr. Schepsis can fix your problem and return you to normalcy whether your tear is 5 years or 10 years old.
Ken

AOL

#948 Apr 20, 2010
BAM wrote:
I plan on posting my experience with this injury from the point of of injury to a year after surgery. Mine was a complete tear of the left pectoral and I went a year before getting fixed. Contacting Dr Schepsis was the key - which I am glad to see that you have already figured out. It sucks that you had to wait 5 years to get in contact with his office. I think the reason that I am posting as well as the other people who have been repaired is we know how bad this injury is and we know it can be fixed. You may need a graft but I am sure he can fix you. Let us know how it goes.
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#949 Apr 20, 2010
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
I plan on posting my experience with this injury from the point of of injury to a year after surgery. Mine was a complete tear of the left pectoral and I went a year before getting fixed. Contacting Dr Schepsis was the key - which I am glad to see that you have already figured out. It sucks that you had to wait 5 years to get in contact with his office. I think the reason that I am posting as well as the other people who have been repaired is we know how bad this injury is and we know it can be fixed. You may need a graft but I am sure he can fix you. Let us know how it goes.
Ken brought up a point about a graft and I just want to share my thoughts on that...

When i was working out my chest a lot when the pec was still torn, i notice that it bunched up even more on me and moved more to the middle of the pec. Then I stopped working out my chest for a while when I was doing boxing training and i noticed that the bunching up in my chest spread out much more and became a lot flatter. So when i scheduled the surgery I was still working out chest a lot and the detached tendon was still bunched up deep in my chest. So I decided to go a month before surgery without benching or doing any chest at all to let the bunching settle. I did that and when I went to see Schepsis, he said I didn't need a graft. So I feel that by leaving the chest alone for a month before seeing him, the pec relaxed more and made the bunched up tendon spread out closer to the humerous, therefore not needing a graft.

I would suggest that to anyone planning on getting a chronic pec tear repaired.
Ken

AOL

#950 Apr 20, 2010
Gorilla Pound wrote:
<quoted text>
Ken brought up a point about a graft and I just want to share my thoughts on that...
When i was working out my chest a lot when the pec was still torn, i notice that it bunched up even more on me and moved more to the middle of the pec. Then I stopped working out my chest for a while when I was doing boxing training and i noticed that the bunching up in my chest spread out much more and became a lot flatter. So when i scheduled the surgery I was still working out chest a lot and the detached tendon was still bunched up deep in my chest. So I decided to go a month before surgery without benching or doing any chest at all to let the bunching settle. I did that and when I went to see Schepsis, he said I didn't need a graft. So I feel that by leaving the chest alone for a month before seeing him, the pec relaxed more and made the bunched up tendon spread out closer to the humerous, therefore not needing a graft.
I would suggest that to anyone planning on getting a chronic pec tear repaired.
I was only doing cardio from about 6 months prior to surgery. I went through PT after my injury and tried rehabbing it at the gym. I realized real quick there wasn't any rehab - the muscle was not connected. I did not want to develop the muscle deformed looking so I just did cardio. I did not need a graft either. Dr Schepsis also said it was due to the muscle separation not being that far even though I completely tore it in both places.
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#951 Apr 20, 2010
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
I was only doing cardio from about 6 months prior to surgery. I went through PT after my injury and tried rehabbing it at the gym. I realized real quick there wasn't any rehab - the muscle was not connected. I did not want to develop the muscle deformed looking so I just did cardio. I did not need a graft either. Dr Schepsis also said it was due to the muscle separation not being that far even though I completely tore it in both places.
Yep, there you go. I believe Pumbertot, who needed a graft, was still working out pretty heavily before surgery. Perhaps that contributed to his retracted pec tendon being too far from the humerus to attach without a graft. I've read on another site of someone needing a graft who was also a bodybuilder that was working out extensively even before surgery. My guess would be that cutting out all chest exercises 60-90 days before surgery would make you much less likely of needing a graft.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orthopaedic Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mystery Pain in Leg after Metal Rod Placement (Apr '09) 2 hr Deborah 329
Possible problem with IM Rod surgery, incisions... 3 hr Deborah 2
Distal Bicep Tendon Re-Rupture? (Jan '13) Mar 19 Chappy 13
Broken screw in rod placed in my broken leg Mar 13 Screwed 1
Broken tibia and fibula 6 months still no bone ... (Apr '13) Mar 10 Tonya 60
Fully-Torn Triceps Tendon (Jan '11) Mar 6 Steve 238
Proximal Bicep tendon rupture (Jun '08) Mar 4 0smius 256
More from around the web