Torn Left Pectoral Muscle - Surgery R...
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#806 Jan 10, 2010
Guys who got fixed up by Dr. Schepsis, why dont you rate him and add to his health grade reputation:

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/312606/...

Clearly I gave him 5 stars and a short written review.
NE Surfer

Newburyport, MA

#807 Jan 15, 2010
How soon after surgery did you guys start doing cardio again? IE, stationary bike. Did you find that you think it helped loosen things up a bit? I finally got back on a recumbent bike everyday this week (yesterday was 5 weeks post surgery) and the blood flow coupled with the pendumlum exercises has me feeling great! Can't even believe how much difference a week and some exercise has made. WAY more ROM than I would have expected at this point. Obviously still freaked out about doing something to re-injur but at this point but so far so good. Scar tissue seems to be breaking down pretty quickly as well. You guys have a similar experience?
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#808 Jan 17, 2010
Little exercise i discovered for anyone doing PT...try hitting a speedbag. found it helped me out loosening up the pec/shoulder and spreading circulation. also gives you a nice fatigue in that area.

Since: Jan 10

Bratislava, Slovakia

#809 Jan 17, 2010
Hi guys, hi Wayne...
I'm nearly 12 weeks post op and have the same problems as Wayne W., my pec seems to be nearly the same as pre-op, however my surgeon told me, that everything went ok.(I want to believe!!) I had a full rupture of the sternal head between the tendon and the muscle. The space below my left delt is not filled with muscle and there is a chord visible from my pec to my bicep and it is somehow connected to my bicep, because when I flex my pec, I feel my bicep tight. However when I flex my bicep, the chord disappears. Acutally I have a very good range of motion, no pain, the axillary fold seems to be back and I feel stronger in my pec, than before the surgery. Atrophy on my left side is very very visible (my delt and pec are gone :(), I hope, I'll fill the empty space below my delt, when I start to train. My doc said, that the chord is there, because the pec tendon and the bicep tendon are stick together by scar tissue, or somewhat, and it will break when I start to train heavy.
My surgery was after 6 months of the injury (my first 5 docs are idiots). I'm going to have ultra on 29/01.

some photos of me:
http://www.nascortech.com/pectear/0weeks - a few days before the surgery
http://www.nascortech.com/pectear/12weeks - 12 weeks after the surgery

What's your opinion guys? Thanks...

Bratislava, Slovakia

#810 Jan 17, 2010
NE Surfer wrote:
How soon after surgery did you guys start doing cardio again? IE, stationary bike. Did you find that you think it helped loosen things up a bit? I finally got back on a recumbent bike everyday this week (yesterday was 5 weeks post surgery) and the blood flow coupled with the pendumlum exercises has me feeling great! Can't even believe how much difference a week and some exercise has made. WAY more ROM than I would have expected at this point. Obviously still freaked out about doing something to re-injur but at this point but so far so good. Scar tissue seems to be breaking down pretty quickly as well. You guys have a similar experience?
bike after 3 weeks, treadmill after 6 weeks... i gained nearly full ROM in a week :)
NE Surfer

Newburyport, MA

#811 Jan 17, 2010
Roleee,
Who did your surgery/where did you have it done? I'm probably the biggest "rookie" on this forum so I'd take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, in checking out those pre/post operation photos I was a bit surprised with the post op. I'm almost 6 weeks out now and mine doesn't look anything like yours. While the muscle is atrophied, I can tell that my pec is connected again and if I lightly press on the area of incision is almost feels the same as the other (non-injured) side. In looking at your picture I would almost say it looks like the tendon was repaired but that the muscle was not connected or something like that. Does that make sense? I've just seen a lot of post op pics now and yours seems to look a little different to me. Reason I ask about who did your surgery is if you aren't feeling better about it, I would suggest getting in touch with Dr. Schepsis as I'm sure he would be able to provide some insight.

Good to hear about your training. I was thinking about starting to jog again but wanted to make sure I wasn't rushing it. I think I'll wait another week and see what the PT people say. Glad to hear about your ROM though, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the same!
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#812 Jan 17, 2010
Roleee wrote:
Hi guys, hi Wayne...
I'm nearly 12 weeks post op and have the same problems as Wayne W., my pec seems to be nearly the same as pre-op, however my surgeon told me, that everything went ok.(I want to believe!!) I had a full rupture of the sternal head between the tendon and the muscle. The space below my left delt is not filled with muscle and there is a chord visible from my pec to my bicep and it is somehow connected to my bicep, because when I flex my pec, I feel my bicep tight. However when I flex my bicep, the chord disappears. Acutally I have a very good range of motion, no pain, the axillary fold seems to be back and I feel stronger in my pec, than before the surgery. Atrophy on my left side is very very visible (my delt and pec are gone :(), I hope, I'll fill the empty space below my delt, when I start to train. My doc said, that the chord is there, because the pec tendon and the bicep tendon are stick together by scar tissue, or somewhat, and it will break when I start to train heavy.
My surgery was after 6 months of the injury (my first 5 docs are idiots). I'm going to have ultra on 29/01.
some photos of me:
http://www.nascortech.com/pectear/0weeks - a few days before the surgery
http://www.nascortech.com/pectear/12weeks - 12 weeks after the surgery
What's your opinion guys? Thanks...
Few things...

youre only 12 weeks post op. some people dont realize this will take a lot longer than 12 weeks to look and feel normal. your before pics are pretty mild. almost doesnt even look like a full rupture. looking at your after pics i can see what you are saying about the appearance but there is tension in the pec area which does cause stretching towards the end of the tendon. i think folks need to not give a sh*t so much about how it looks as much as how it feels and functions. does it feel normal?

another thing that sticks out to me is how thin and light of a scar you have...most of us have a big caterpillar scar after surgery. was this done arthroscopically?

Bratislava, Slovakia

#813 Jan 17, 2010
NE Surfer wrote:
Roleee,
Who did your surgery/where did you have it done? I'm probably the biggest "rookie" on this forum so I'd take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, in checking out those pre/post operation photos I was a bit surprised with the post op. I'm almost 6 weeks out now and mine doesn't look anything like yours. While the muscle is atrophied, I can tell that my pec is connected again and if I lightly press on the area of incision is almost feels the same as the other (non-injured) side. In looking at your picture I would almost say it looks like the tendon was repaired but that the muscle was not connected or something like that. Does that make sense? I've just seen a lot of post op pics now and yours seems to look a little different to me. Reason I ask about who did your surgery is if you aren't feeling better about it, I would suggest getting in touch with Dr. Schepsis as I'm sure he would be able to provide some insight.
Good to hear about your training. I was thinking about starting to jog again but wanted to make sure I wasn't rushing it. I think I'll wait another week and see what the PT people say. Glad to hear about your ROM though, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the same!
My surgery was done by Dr. Ritsch in Germany. He is a good surgeon, did 60+ pec repairs before. I'm very thankful to him, I was and I'm in a very difficult situation, because I live in Slovakia and I couldn't find anyone who had faced this type of injury before. I can't rely on the doctors over here, because they don't know anything about pec tears and they're acting really like idiots. Dr. Ritsch faced my injury professionaly and told me, he can help me. So I went to Germany, had the surgery, and now I'm rehabbing myself, but confused about the outcome. I don't mind the gap below my delt, but the stretching tendon to my bicep is really scaring me, and I feel uncomfortable whenever I flex my pec (no pain).

Dr. Schepsis is not an option for me, the distance and mainly the price for the surgery is not acceptable, but maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

Thanks for your response and get well soon!:)

Bratislava, Slovakia

#814 Jan 17, 2010
Gorilla Pound wrote:
<quoted text>
Few things...
youre only 12 weeks post op. some people dont realize this will take a lot longer than 12 weeks to look and feel normal. your before pics are pretty mild. almost doesnt even look like a full rupture. looking at your after pics i can see what you are saying about the appearance but there is tension in the pec area which does cause stretching towards the end of the tendon. i think folks need to not give a sh*t so much about how it looks as much as how it feels and functions. does it feel normal?
another thing that sticks out to me is how thin and light of a scar you have...most of us have a big caterpillar scar after surgery. was this done arthroscopically?
I think, that it is not caused by tension in my pec, but by dislocating the tendon. But I'll see after the ultra. However you're right, that 12 weeks is not enough to be ready to judge the outcome of he surgery. I'll follow my rehab protocol and start lightweight training. My pec doesn't feel normal yet, I still feel, that something is not in the right place, however it's better than before. Here are some surgery pics:
http://www.nascortech.com/pectear/surgery
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#815 Jan 17, 2010
Roleee wrote:
<quoted text>
before. Here are some surgery pics:
http://www.nascortech.com/pectear/surgery
interesting pics! was trying to find pec repair surgery pics online but couldnt. wish i had some pics from my surgery. looks like they didnt use cameras in your repair

Samorin, Slovakia

#816 Jan 18, 2010
Gorilla Pound wrote:
<quoted text>
interesting pics! was trying to find pec repair surgery pics online but couldnt. wish i had some pics from my surgery. looks like they didnt use cameras in your repair
how do u mean that they didnt use cameras?:) these pics are from my surgery...
NE Surfer

Newburyport, MA

#817 Jan 18, 2010
Roleee,

Personally, I'm lucky that I live as close as I do to Boston where Dr. Schepsis practices. However, from what I've seen on here if you just email Dr. Schepsis with some of your photos he might be able to just give you a quick second opinion on the repair. He has done so many pec repairs that I've got to think he's seen it all by now. Even if someone else treats you (if need be) having his feedback would probably be a big help. I also agree with Gorilla in that the most important thing is "how does it feel" and "how will it feel" in the long run. I could honestly care less if it looks a little different, I just want to "feel" normal and strong again so I can get back to life and my hobbies the way everything was before the tear.

Those pics were pretty insane. Dr. Schepsis forgot his camera the day of the surgery, but I've got to think that all of our surgeries looked equally as nasty! One thing that did stand out to me though, there weren't any pictures of the bone being drilled out. Do you know if your tendon/muscle was just attached to tendon/muscle where the tear took place or did they drill out the bone and attach directly into the upper arm? That would be a BIG difference from my understanding of the proceedure and recovery period/look of the repair.
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#818 Jan 18, 2010
Roleee wrote:
<quoted text>
how do u mean that they didnt use cameras?:) these pics are from my surgery...
i mean for the surgery, the exploring video camera. i dont know if they used that for mine but that seems to be common nowadays.
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#819 Jan 18, 2010
NE Surfer wrote:
One thing that did stand out to me though, there weren't any pictures of the bone being drilled out. Do you know if your tendon/muscle was just attached to tendon/muscle where the tear took place or did they drill out the bone and attach directly into the upper arm? That would be a BIG difference from my understanding of the proceedure and recovery period/look of the repair.
good point you bring up...a friend of mine tore his pec last month and went for surgery. the surgeon tried to put it to the bone but it came off and he suffered internal bleeding. then had to go in for a 2nd surgery and then it was only attached back to the muscle. my friend was pissed about it and i told him its not gonna heal the same.

from what ive read, pretty much all pec tears have the best chance of healing when attached back to the bone.
Jay

UK

#820 Jan 19, 2010
Wayne Wolverhampton UK wrote:
Jay,
Thanks for reply buddy.I have got my MRI on 04/01/10,my pec has that horrible indentation like when I tore it,and it's painfull especially in shoulder area.Dr Funk told me I could start light benching from 3 months post op,which I did,but I think my pec wasn't right anyway.
Email me if you want.
[email protected]
Thanks Wayne.
To Wayne Wolverhampton,

If your still reading this forum for info..........

...What was the outcome of your MRI Scan, and did you have revision surgery?

I'd be interested to know for comparison with my situation as i had a partial rupture after surgery which left me with a pec chord.

Jay

Bratislava, Slovakia

#821 Jan 20, 2010
NE Surfer wrote:
Roleee,
Personally, I'm lucky that I live as close as I do to Boston where Dr. Schepsis practices. However, from what I've seen on here if you just email Dr. Schepsis with some of your photos he might be able to just give you a quick second opinion on the repair. He has done so many pec repairs that I've got to think he's seen it all by now. Even if someone else treats you (if need be) having his feedback would probably be a big help. I also agree with Gorilla in that the most important thing is "how does it feel" and "how will it feel" in the long run. I could honestly care less if it looks a little different, I just want to "feel" normal and strong again so I can get back to life and my hobbies the way everything was before the tear.
Those pics were pretty insane. Dr. Schepsis forgot his camera the day of the surgery, but I've got to think that all of our surgeries looked equally as nasty! One thing that did stand out to me though, there weren't any pictures of the bone being drilled out. Do you know if your tendon/muscle was just attached to tendon/muscle where the tear took place or did they drill out the bone and attach directly into the upper arm? That would be a BIG difference from my understanding of the proceedure and recovery period/look of the repair.
Yep, you're lucky :) I read about Dr.Schepsis before my surgery, but as I said, it was not an option to have the surgery in Boston :( I was really lucky and happy, that I found Dr.Ritsch. I must wait until the end of my recovery period (6 months from now) and I'll see (I'll keep my fingers crossed :)) I must understand, that my surgery was 7 months after my benchpress accident and the atrophy is really bad. My pec wasnt used for 7 months!! And 3 months now from the surgery. It's 10 months! What should I expect from my muscles now?:) The only thing I'm really concerned of now, is the chord and the tightnes in my bicep...

The muscle was attached back to the tendon. As far as I know, my tendon on the humerus side was intact, the tear was between the muscle and the tendon (you can see the position on the pictures). I was one day post op, when the doc gave me a CD and told me, that it is a present for me. I knew at once that he did some pictures of my pec surgery, it's cool to see myself from inside :D
Gorilla Pound

Stockholm, Sweden

#822 Jan 20, 2010
Roleee wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, you're lucky :) I read about Dr.Schepsis before my surgery, but as I said, it was not an option to have the surgery in Boston :( I was really lucky and happy, that I found Dr.Ritsch. I must wait until the end of my recovery period (6 months from now) and I'll see (I'll keep my fingers crossed :)) I must understand, that my surgery was 7 months after my benchpress accident and the atrophy is really bad. My pec wasnt used for 7 months!! And 3 months now from the surgery. It's 10 months! What should I expect from my muscles now?:) The only thing I'm really concerned of now, is the chord and the tightnes in my bicep...
The muscle was attached back to the tendon. As far as I know, my tendon on the humerus side was intact, the tear was between the muscle and the tendon (you can see the position on the pictures). I was one day post op, when the doc gave me a CD and told me, that it is a present for me. I knew at once that he did some pictures of my pec surgery, it's cool to see myself from inside :D
Rolee, looking at your pics I kind of have a similar "chord-like" appearance in my armpit area when i move it in certain directions. im sure most people that had chronic tear repairs do too, must be normal to look that way. the repair is not going to look 100% like your good side, just isn't. we both had chronic tears that were fixed a long time after the tear therefore the reattachment is a more stressful. the appearance isnt even visible to anyone but yourself. coming from someone who lived with a torn pec for 2 years trust me...THE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT LOOKING APPEARANCE SHOULD BE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!!!

After living with the tear for a while I wouldn't have given a sh*t if I had a tree stump growing out of my chest as long as it felt and functioned the way it should've.

Every time I did a pushup was reminded of my pec tear.
Every time I threw a football, was reminded of my pec tear.
Every time I bench pressed was reminded of my pec tear.
Pushups...
Punching the heavybag...
Swimming...
Lifting something heavy...

You get the point.
Gorilla Pound

Brooklyn, NY

#823 Jan 23, 2010
I'm 14 weeks post op and this past Wednesday PT had me doing standing incline pushups against a railing. It felt real weak on the right and i overcompensated with the left but was able to do two sets of 15.

Today, i did the same thing and was able to do two sets of 15 much easier. Im liking this progression. Listening to my body I feel that i've come along well. Today also did upright hammer strength bench presses with like maybe 20 pounds for 15 reps. Not going to push it by any means but Im feeling ready to step up the rehab process.

Bratislava, Slovakia

#824 Jan 30, 2010
Gorilla Pound wrote:
<quoted text>
Rolee, looking at your pics I kind of have a similar "chord-like" appearance in my armpit area when i move it in certain directions. im sure most people that had chronic tear repairs do too, must be normal to look that way. the repair is not going to look 100% like your good side, just isn't. we both had chronic tears that were fixed a long time after the tear therefore the reattachment is a more stressful. the appearance isnt even visible to anyone but yourself. coming from someone who lived with a torn pec for 2 years trust me...THE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT LOOKING APPEARANCE SHOULD BE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!!!
After living with the tear for a while I wouldn't have given a sh*t if I had a tree stump growing out of my chest as long as it felt and functioned the way it should've.
Every time I did a pushup was reminded of my pec tear.
Every time I threw a football, was reminded of my pec tear.
Every time I bench pressed was reminded of my pec tear.
Pushups...
Punching the heavybag...
Swimming...
Lifting something heavy...
You get the point.
You're right :)

Bratislava, Slovakia

#825 Jan 30, 2010
Had an ultrasound yesterday, the results are very good! I'm 16 weeks post op, the muscle and the tendon healed very well, everything is in place! the doc said, that the chord like appearance is caused by atrophy on my pec. And he told me, that he can see the muscle all over the tendon, from the tear to the humerus insertion, but its very thin, I need to pump it up. I will!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orthopaedic Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proximal Bicep tendon rupture (Jun '08) 16 hr Bon 262
Broken tibia and fibula 6 months still no bone ... (Apr '13) Sep 11 Jimbo 68
Distal Biceps surgery? (Dec '06) Sep 10 Techfire35 2,836
Femur Rod Implant Removal Problems (Rod broke d... (Sep '07) Sep 9 Palappe 308
Mystery Pain in Leg after Metal Rod Placement (Apr '09) Sep 9 Angela Sloan 338
Fell on shoulder 10 weeks after bicep repair (Mar '13) Sep 4 Pedro Cintas 3
Misaligned fibular fracture (May '07) Aug 22 Cmlegend 16
More from around the web