Subchondral cyst of the talar dome

Posted in the Orthopaedic Surgery Forum

mrhiddnknite

Long Beach, NY

#1 Feb 18, 2011
A male 25 years of age with a symptomatic 20x16 mm subchondral cyst of the talar dome. The original orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed it recommended immediate surgery, but got a second opinion from another surgeon. He felt that the outcome of surgery was fairly uncertain and that male should try to live with it. It has been over two years since the original diagnosis and the symptoms have worsened to the point where they interfere with daily function. Should surgery be seriously considered? If so what type is suggested and what are the probably outcomes?
Bob

Lombard, IL

#2 Apr 23, 2011
mrhiddnknite wrote:
A male 25 years of age with a symptomatic 20x16 mm subchondral cyst of the talar dome. The original orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed it recommended immediate surgery, but got a second opinion from another surgeon. He felt that the outcome of surgery was fairly uncertain and that male should try to live with it. It has been over two years since the original diagnosis and the symptoms have worsened to the point where they interfere with daily function. Should surgery be seriously considered? If so what type is suggested and what are the probably outcomes?

If you have extremely painful attacks of arthritic pain and swelling your eventually going to have to have surgery. I've had subchondral cyst in my tibia just above the ankle for years. The pain attacks have become way to bad to put off surgery any longer. I understand there are several surgery options. The one that sounds best to me is to drill into the cyst then clean it out and pack it with bone material. I made this sound kinda easy but its not. There are other steps needed to be done prior to the surgery and it's a long recovery. I'm having trouble finding a doctor that has experience doing the surgery.
Amit

London, UK

#3 Nov 24, 2011
I am a doctor in the UK and just assisted in a surgery for a subchondral talar cyst. I would definitely recommend having it done. Find a good Foot and Ankle orthopaedic surgeon and they sould be able to do the surgery

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orthopaedic Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Torn Left Pectoral Muscle - Surgery Required (Jun '06) Thu SephirothMBA 2,492
Complication from arthroscopic patellar tendoni... Dec 9 larry2121 1
Distal bicep tendon surgery (Oct '08) Dec 9 Rob F 76
Broken tibia and fibula 6 months still no bone ... (Apr '13) Dec 8 James from Baltim... 14
Mystery Pain in Leg after Metal Rod Placement (Apr '09) Dec 5 Jackie 232
Pain in Right knee after having a rod placed in... (Aug '10) Dec 2 Shanx 37
inner knee pain after acl surgery (May '08) Dec 2 Zach 122
More from around the web