How do you know when your child is ready to stay home alone?

There are 42 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 15, 2009, titled How do you know when your child is ready to stay home alone?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Daniel Hauser, flanked by his parents, Anthony and Colleen, is interview by a television reporter outside of the Brown County Courthouse in New Ulm,Minn., on Thursday May 7, 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

p t bull

Saranac Lake, NY

#22 May 16, 2009
Mr Secant wrote:
The parents of this child prove that religion in the best of intentions, can lead to the worst decisions.

I agree, just as is the case with judges with the best intentions.

Since: Jun 08

Saint Paul, MN

#23 May 16, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
<quoted text>
You and I went to this dance on another thread when I took apart your list one by one and then produced a list that started at the Crusades and included all the European Wars of the 15th and 16th century and finished with a some current event wars in Africa that are religiously driven. The Revolutionary War was for religious freedom (umm, read the first amendment) WWII had strong religious overtones, Hitler and the persecution of mainly the Jews, but also the Catholics.
Of course there have been wars such as the War of 1812 that had nothing to do with religion, but overall through world history, religion or god has been responsible for more deaths than any other single reason.
We had the dance and whatever you presented did not convince me that your opinion was correct.

World War II had strong religious overtones? I just don't recall the Japanese stating that we will worship the Emperor or we will slaughter you. I recall we teed them off because of oil. Hitler killed a lot of Jews, Catholics, and others. Was this because of their religion or he just didn't like Jews and Catholics. Did the United States, England and others come to the aid of Jews and Catholics? No I don't think so. The Allies found out about the killings at the end of the war.

The Revolutionary War a religious war? I thought it started in part with taxes. Do you recall "Taxation without Representation". What religion was being forced upon whom? What religion won?

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#24 May 16, 2009
p t bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you win every time if you can declare the winner in your own contests, but you were proven wrong due to the genocide of hitler, stalin, pol pot, and the japanese. Maybe you should have your manager distract the ref while you try and see if you can pin him this time...
I already commented on Hitler in relation to WWII.
Now regarding Stalin and Pol Pot. Those genocides were not related to war. They were related to power hungry individuals who committed genocides to their own kind. About Japan, I presume you are referring mainly to the Nanking Massacre and yes that was horrible, deplorable and seemingly done with no real military purpose in mind and the real shame was japan's refusal to acknowledge that it even happened until 9 years ago, although that event occurred over 70 years ago.
And PT, I,m still stickin' to my original thinking regarding religion and its relation to loss of life. Nothing has been shown to change my mind.
My bride says I am the most stubborn individual she has ever known which I take great pride in.
And wives is never wrong!!!
sue

Rockford, IL

#25 May 16, 2009
The judge and his cronies need to stay out of it. The idiots are to partly blame for the way this country has headed down the drain. Leave family maters to the family and butt the H--- out.

Palm Desert, CA

#26 May 16, 2009
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
We had the dance and whatever you presented did not convince me that your opinion was correct.
World War II had strong religious overtones? I just don't recall the Japanese stating that we will worship the Emperor or we will slaughter you. I recall we teed them off because of oil. Hitler killed a lot of Jews, Catholics, and others. Was this because of their religion or he just didn't like Jews and Catholics. Did the United States, England and others come to the aid of Jews and Catholics? No I don't think so. The Allies found out about the killings at the end of the war.
The Revolutionary War a religious war? I thought it started in part with taxes. Do you recall "Taxation without Representation". What religion was being forced upon whom? What religion won?
The reason we had a revolution against England was due to their trying to exert undue power. But, and maybe you will consider this a stretch, those pilgrims who landed on these had left England because they were fleeing religious persecution from the Church of England.

Look, I am not going to change your mind and you are not going to change mine regarding this matter.
You might say I respectfully disagree with your position.
And on that note,
"sine die"

Palm Desert, CA

#27 May 16, 2009
Damn, that line should have read:

pilgrims who landed on these (shores) had left England
ken

Elmhurst, NY

#28 May 17, 2009
The Medical industry had made it a law in the US that you can only treat cancer
with radiation, chemo, surgery or medication.
Did you know that a doctor can go to jail if he tries to treat cancer any other way.
that shows they really don't want to heal cancer.
And they HAVE NO CURE FOR CANCER but you have to use their poisonous treatment which makes you sicker and destroys your immune system.
Many people DIE FROM THE RADIATION OR CHEMO.
The medical industry is corrupt and using the law to force people
to use their butchery by maiming, and disfiguring them at the same time emptying their pockets.
That is because the medical industry has used the government and politicians through the FDA to make sure no medicine is practiced in their country except their way.
They are not protecting us from quacks...they are insuring they will have a medical monopoly.
Natasha Badanaff

Saint Paul, MN

#29 May 17, 2009
mary wrote:
<quoted text>great post.I have had 8 chemo treatments over 3 yrs. My drs. left that decision up to me.
And how old are you?
mary

Minneapolis, MN

#30 May 17, 2009
Natasha Badanaff wrote:
<quoted text>
And how old are you?
Older than 13.

Saint Paul, MN

#31 May 17, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
<quoted text>
I already commented on Hitler in relation to WWII.
Now regarding Stalin and Pol Pot. Those genocides were not related to war. They were related to power hungry individuals who committed genocides to their own kind. About Japan, I presume you are referring mainly to the Nanking Massacre and yes that was horrible, deplorable and seemingly done with no real military purpose in mind and the real shame was japan's refusal to acknowledge that it even happened until 9 years ago, although that event occurred over 70 years ago.
And PT, I,m still stickin' to my original thinking regarding religion and its relation to loss of life. Nothing has been shown to change my mind.
My bride says I am the most stubborn individual she has ever known which I take great pride in.
And wives is never wrong!!!
May I remind you that this started with Post #5 When Old White Guy said
"But then again, more people have been killed in the name of some kind of religion than for any other reason."

May I highlight the word "reason". Genocide is a reason, you may not call it a war, but I sure would. Abortion is a form of genocide, 50 million plus in the United States alone. In 30 plus years we eliminated 50 million of our future citizens.

You are welcome to stick with your stubborn opinion and I agree, your wife is always right. Poor wife.

Saint Paul, MN

#32 May 17, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason we had a revolution against England was due to their trying to exert undue power. But, and maybe you will consider this a stretch, those pilgrims who landed on these had left England because they were fleeing religious persecution from the Church of England.
Look, I am not going to change your mind and you are not going to change mine regarding this matter.
You might say I respectfully disagree with your position. And on that note,
"sine die"
You said "those pilgrims who landed on these had left England because they were fleeing religious persecution from the Church of England."

You need not change my mind on this, I agree with you on this matter. This was not the cause of the War.

Auf Wiedersehen

adiós

sine die

Saint Paul, MN

#33 May 17, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
Damn, that line should have read:
pilgrims who landed on these (shores) had left England
We knew that.
ISRW

Potsdam, Germany

#34 May 17, 2009
It's pretty wrenching seeing this family out in front of the cameras in this way. They've invited it, they're out posing in the yard, but the scrutiny isn't kind to them.

Today's Strib includes an opinion piece in which the fact that the 13-year-old son seems to be functionally illiterate, the extremely questionable nature of the faux-native-American group involved, and the actual legal definition of medical neglect are all referred to.... The overwhelming sense one gets is that these aren't people who are capable of making choices of this kind. They've home schooled the kid and he didn't recognize the word "the" on a reading assessment. This is the child whose status as a shaman -- certified after the diagnosis -- we're meant to accept? When he isn't able to even describe what that role means when he's testifying in court?

As uncomfortable as we may be with the state role here, the blind rigidity here is hardly starting with the judge or the doctors.
Natasha Badanaff

Saint Paul, MN

#35 May 17, 2009
mary wrote:
<quoted text>Older than 13.
That's the point. Did you also read that the kid can't read?
CSI

Crewe, VA

#36 May 18, 2009
How do you know that?
Natasha Badanaff

Saint Paul, MN

#37 May 18, 2009
CSI wrote:
How do you know that?
It was in the article.
Doug

Lynchburg, VA

#38 May 19, 2009
So much for parental rights. Some at the Child Protection Service have much of the same philosophy. Anybody check on some of the abuses at the CPS? We need to make this an issue in every election.
CSI

Crewe, VA

#39 May 19, 2009
I believe in what I read as far as medical reports, the media enhances the news because they are in the business of selling the news. I know the abuses of the CPS but more often than not you have to have a good local law enforcement.
Disgusting

Mission Viejo, CA

#40 May 20, 2009
Are you serious? I now know that another state is parallel to the silly stuff I see in California. Chemo is POISON and it is every persons right to choose treatment and chemo is NOT the only treatment out there - what a bunch of political agenda sadness to keep the rhetoric and money flowing toward your agenda. Is this the same government not holding insurance companies responsible enough for rejecting chemo and other treatments when it is unwarranted - or refusing treatment at all when someone doesnt have insurance. what a bunch of hypocrites
Disgusting

Mission Viejo, CA

#41 May 20, 2009
CSI wrote:
How do you know that?
The government still is not a better parent than the parents. You dont take kids away from parents for protecting their kids from being poisoned - and dont believe everything you read of course they are gonna spin it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oncology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CTCA Oncologist Discusses Cancer Risks Among Mi... May 8 Ms Louisiana 1
News Risk of a calamity if North haze not tackled ur... Apr 27 norman 1
News To Your Good Health: Mental health doctors impo... Apr 26 HumanSpirit 2
News To battle cancer, choose oncologist with care (May '08) Apr '15 VoteJoe 31
News Valerie Harper to Keynote Extraordinary Healer ... Apr '15 _Learsi 1
News Author Robert B. Marcus Jr. Promotes His Politi... Apr '15 Waffle_Eris 1
News What doctor thinks about 'Jolie effect' Mar '15 Disclaimer 5
More from around the web