Farrah Fawcett's Anal Cancer: Fighting the Stigma

Full story: ABC News

The iconic photo of Farrah Fawcett smiling in a red swimsuit marked her as the face of sexy, natural beauty in the 1970s.
Comments
21 - 31 of 31 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
listen to yourself

Ansonia, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2009

++++++++++Rest in Peace Farrah++++++++++

++++++++++

+++++++You will always be remembered+++++++

++++++++++ Our Angel ++++++++++

unreal

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

River wrote:
No, blessed04. I'm sorry, but you can NOT require that opinions only be stated by those WITH cancer. Ignorant rube.
Thank you Farrah for sharing with us your final journey.

RIP!
dena

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

She was married to Lee Majors who is gay. My guess is, she got the virus from him.
dena

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

TLO wrote:
Not saying...just saying. RIP
Risk Factors for Anal Cancer
HPV (human papilloma virus)
Most doctors think that squamous cell anal cancer is caused by a type of this virus called HPV-16. The virus spreads during sex. It is more likely to be found in people who have had many sex partners. One sign of infection with this virus is genital warts, but most people infected with HPV do not have genital warts.
Sex
Having many sex partners is a risk factor for women. Having anal sex is a risk factor for both men and women, especially under the age of 30.
Smoking
Harmful chemicals from smoke get into the bloodstream and increase the risk of anal cancer in smokers. Current smokers are several times more likely to have cancer of the anus compared with people who never smoked. Quitting smoking reduces this risk. People who used to smoke but have quit are only slightly more likely to get this cancer compared with people who never smoked.
Lowered immunity / HIV infection
People with weakened immune systems are at higher risk for anal cancer. This includes people who have had transplants (who must take drugs to suppress their immune systems) and people with HIV infection (human immunodeficiency virus or the virus that causes AIDS).
Source: hxxp://www.cancer.org/docroot/ CRI/content/CRI_2_2_2X_What_ca uses_anal_cancer_47.asp?sitear ea=
You can get genital warts from one encounter. It only takes once to get pregnant, aids or genital warts.
IgnoranceAintBli ss

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

just an allusion wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't her butt that killed her, rather, it was the anal sex that her partners had with her that caused the bruising that lead to the cancer that spread throughout other parts of her body, as cancer is want to do.
Too bad that her men weren't satisfied with normal penis-vagina intercourse.
Are you kidding me?? LOTS of women enjoy anal sex, not just men. And when you consider how many people have anal sex compared to the number of people who die of anal cancer you'd realize how "safe" it is. You have a better chance of dying in a car crash.
Josh

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2010

If anal sex was the only cause of anal cancer, gay men would have the greatest risk. There are several risk factors so we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Obamas Homo Lover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2011

I had an anal encounter with Obama!

I also gave him oral in the back of his limo!
That little Black guy is gross!
mudkipz

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
May you remain cancer free!
People are stupid. SEX doesn't cause the cancer. Cells change into cancer.
Actually you are wrong. Cervical cancer is almost always caused by the HPV virus which is sexually transmitted.
Farrah too

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Oral birth control causes anal cancer risk. Women are at risk for cancers, including breast cancer,if they choose to use them or have an abortion. Ironically, I did research on this, after becoming a victim myself, and found some articles that said that staying pregnancy-free or having an abortion is worth the risk of getting cancer.

I am dying. Should I be happy now that I was not told that cancer was a side effect of preventing pregnancy?
:(

Women are deceived. This is very disturbing. Nobody seems to care that women suffer from it. We are told by money makers that BC and abortion is so called safe and acceptable. Who is there to pick up the pieces when the truth comes out?
andet1987

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Fawcett was diagnosed with anal cancer in 2006,[40] and began treatment, including chemotherapy and surgery.[41] Four months later, on her 60th birthday, the Associated Press wire service reported that Fawcett was, at that point, cancer free.[42]

In May 2007, Fawcett brought a small digital video camera to document a doctor's office visit. There, she was told a malignant polyp was found where she had been treated for the initial cancer. Doctors contemplated whether to implant a radiation seeder (which differs from conventional radiation and is used to treat other types of cancer).[43] Fawcett's U.S. doctors told her that she would require a colostomy.[44] Instead, Fawcett traveled to Germany for treatments described variously in the press as "holistic",[45] "aggressive",[46] and "alternative".[47] There, Dr. Ursula Jacob prescribed a treatment including surgery to remove the anal tumor, and a course of perfusion and embolization for her liver cancer by Doctors Claus Kiehling and Thomas Vogl in Germany, and chemotherapy back in Fawcett's home town of Los Angeles. Although initially the tumors were regressing, their reappearance a few months later necessitated a new course, this time including laser ablation therapy and chemoembolization.[11] Aided by friend Alana Stewart, Fawcett documented her battle with the disease.[44]
Cheryl Arcella GC NY

Franklin Square, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

None of us really know Farrah. All I know is I was a teen in the 70's grew to love her as an actress. She was a beautiful woman and very intelligegent woman. She will forever be remembered by me and my generation. She was a very BRAVE woman to share her end of life story with us to enlighten woman all over the world. We love you Farrah. Rest in peace. God bless you and your Family.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••