Farrah Fawcett's Anal Cancer: Fighting the Stigma

Full story: ABC News

The iconic photo of Farrah Fawcett smiling in a red swimsuit marked her as the face of sexy, natural beauty in the 1970s.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

AOL

#1 Jun 27, 2009
So sad to see her passed, and Michael Jackson
stealing all of her fire..!!

She had such a beautiful face, who ever would
have dreamed her butt would kill her..!!
kudos

Tallahassee, FL

#3 Jun 27, 2009
Does the world have to know what she died of?
What happened to privacy?
just an allusion

Bagdad, KY

#5 Jun 27, 2009
kudos wrote:
An entirely unfounded misconception as it was her, Farrah, that took it upon herself to show the World the ramifications of her abnormal sexual practices.

She is the one that ordered her lasts days be filmed and aired on national television...No one else but her because she wanted the World to know/all of womanhood to know.
just an allusion

Bagdad, KY

#6 Jun 27, 2009
It's just a shame that we had to lose such an iconic figure over something as bottom drawer as ignorance over butt sex.
Mia

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 27, 2009
Man... you are a really nasty person, "Just an Allusion." What you said in the above posts is just shameful, none of your business and quite frankly offensive.
Sapere Aude

Anonymous Proxy

#8 Jun 27, 2009
Anal sex is not the only cause of anal cancer. The carcinogens from smoking is also a major cause. Whether Farrah smoked, whether she engaged in anal sex, that was her business and in point-of-fact, she may not have done ANY of these activities and still developed this slow death.

Instead of all this speculation - what should be remembered is that she fought as bravely as anyone ever has against this disease and for the rest of us, was brave enough have her struggle and agony taped for everyone to reflect upon.

That should be her legacy - not the whispering and titillating speculations preceding this post.

Rest in peace Farrah

TLO

Since: Mar 08

Hammond, IN

#9 Jun 27, 2009
Not saying...just saying. RIP

Risk Factors for Anal Cancer

HPV (human papilloma virus)

Most doctors think that squamous cell anal cancer is caused by a type of this virus called HPV-16. The virus spreads during sex. It is more likely to be found in people who have had many sex partners. One sign of infection with this virus is genital warts, but most people infected with HPV do not have genital warts.

Sex

Having many sex partners is a risk factor for women. Having anal sex is a risk factor for both men and women, especially under the age of 30.

Smoking

Harmful chemicals from smoke get into the bloodstream and increase the risk of anal cancer in smokers. Current smokers are several times more likely to have cancer of the anus compared with people who never smoked. Quitting smoking reduces this risk. People who used to smoke but have quit are only slightly more likely to get this cancer compared with people who never smoked.

Lowered immunity / HIV infection

People with weakened immune systems are at higher risk for anal cancer. This includes people who have had transplants (who must take drugs to suppress their immune systems) and people with HIV infection (human immunodeficiency virus or the virus that causes AIDS).

Source: hxxp://www.cancer.org/docroot/ CRI/content/CRI_2_2_2X_What_ca uses_anal_cancer_47.asp?sitear ea=

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#10 Jun 27, 2009
lauralaw1 wrote:
stealing all of her fire...
LOL!!!

Ed McMahon must REALLY be frosted!

Let's hope Ed's drowning any tears with a cold frosty one...
GEEZ

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jun 27, 2009
Cancer deals the cards.

no arguing with it's success.

Since: Jun 09

Hopkinsville, KY

#13 Jun 27, 2009
just an allusion wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't her butt that killed her, rather, it was the anal sex that her partners had with her that caused the bruising that lead to the cancer that spread throughout other parts of her body, as cancer is want to do.
Too bad that her men weren't satisfied with normal penis-vagina intercourse.
I am a 2 time cancer surviver, cervical and rectal. I have never had anal sex and until you have walked in our shoes, you need to keep your comments to yourself.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#14 Jun 28, 2009
Rest in Peace Farrah.
unreal

Newark, NJ

#15 Jun 28, 2009
blessed04 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a 2 time cancer surviver, cervical and rectal. I have never had anal sex and until you have walked in our shoes, you need to keep your comments to yourself.
May you remain cancer free!

People are stupid. SEX doesn't cause the cancer. Cells change into cancer.
HumanSpirit

Citra, FL

#16 Jun 28, 2009
kudos wrote:
She elected to go public to allow the population to understand the seriousness of cancer. The rectum is no different then many of the other bodily function that provided us with human life.
HumanSpirit

Citra, FL

#17 Jun 28, 2009
I forgot to wish her RIP. She certainly was a pretty woman. Didn't think much of her as an actress.
HumanSpirit

Citra, FL

#18 Jun 28, 2009
just an allusion wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't her butt that killed her, rather, it was the anal sex that her partners had with her that caused the bruising that lead to the cancer that spread throughout other parts of her body, as cancer is want to do.
Your vaginal, mental health industry, social engineered way of thinking makes you speculate on her anal sex and men. You have no credibility.
norton

United States

#19 Jun 28, 2009
lauralaw1 wrote:
stealing all of her fire..!!
She had such a beautiful face, who ever would
have dreamed her butt would kill her..!!
Do you figure death comes by choice? DO you think Michael got up Thursday morning and said I think I'll die today so I can "steal" Farrah FIRE? I guess it would fair to say Farrah woke up and decided to steal Ed fire. Do you see how ignorant you sound. These were seemingly beautiful people whose time had come. Idiot!
norton

United States

#20 Jun 28, 2009
I pray for peace and courage for all of thier family and friends, including those of Billy Mays!
Lou Shalit

Chula Vista, CA

#21 Jun 28, 2009
She was a beauty, and much more. She turned herself into a serious actress. She will be remembered and as fine actor and a classy lady.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Fairport, NY

#22 Jun 29, 2009
just an allusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's review: Kentucky (KY): Check. Evident obsession with anal intercourse in the guise of decrying it: Check. Chuckle at usual Southern, rube, hillbilly stereotypes: Check.

Praiz!
River

Milwaukee, WI

#23 Jun 30, 2009
No, blessed04. I'm sorry, but you can NOT require that opinions only be stated by those WITH cancer. Ignorant rube.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oncology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Lancet journals: Three-quarters of depresse... Fri MMR CAUSES AUTISM 2
Health-care fears loom large in gay marriage cases Aug 25 Mitt s Baptism of... 8
NMMC, cancer docs create partnership Aug 25 Money 2
No Benefit Offered By Bevacizumab For Newly Dia... (Jun '13) Jul '14 gdpawel 2
TV anchor Estela Casas to discuss experience wi... (Sep '10) Jul '14 SJM 42
Breast Cancer Study Jul '14 Texan 6
Reno couple accuses Renown of deceptive practices (Dec '13) Jul '14 liberation theology 12
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Oncology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••