Tarceva meets goal in first-line lung cancer trial

Nov 10, 2008 | Posted by: PFH | Full story: money.cnn.com

OSI Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Genentech Inc. said their drug Tarceva met its main goal in a clinical trial, as it stopped the spread of advanced non-small cell lung cancer for significantly longer than a ...

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2013

Since: Dec 05

Union, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Researchers at Rational Therapeutics and Todd Cancer Insitute have reported assay-directed clinical results obtained with ex-vivo analysis that accurately identifies individual patients who are candidates for targeted cancer therapy.

Ex-vivo laboratory analysis accurately identified on an indiviudal basis, NSCLC patients likely to benefit from the EGFR inhibitor Tarceva (erlotinib).

While targeted EGFR therapy has proven effective in treating advanced NSCLC, response rates remain low in randomly selected patients (population studies). This analysis can help doctors select those patients most likely to benefit from Tarceva.

All of the patients tumors who were synergistic (cooperative) to therapy, responded to this oral therapy, with several achieving long-term remissions.

This outcome demonstrates that patients whose cancer cells undergo programmed cell death in the laboratory due to EGFR inhibitor exposure are those who respond to targeted Tarceva therapy.

Efforts to administer targeted therapies in randomly selected patients often result in low reponse rates at significant toxicity and cost. A functional profile is capable of examing the nuances of cellular response to drugs, thus more likely to prove beneficial to the cancer patient.

Source: Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, June 1, 2007
SFDoc09

Larkspur, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

There are currently at least 500 compounds (sources: www.targetedtherapeutics.com , clinicaltrials.gov ) undergoing active clinical testing in all types of cancer. Considering the costs of these trials it becomes clear that patient selection criteria need to be applied. Recent advances in "omics" technology have resulted in the discovery of molecularly defined cancer suptypes with differential sensitivity to targeted agents. While Genentech has been the first company to apply this strategy successfully, It has left this path with Tarceva, culminating in the approval of this drug basen on a negligible prolongation of time to disease progression. I am not optimistic that the take-over by Roche will turn to the better.
lizie_sun

Greenville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

Generic Erlotinib available at reduced prices; meds@lotrain.com
Harry

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

TARCEVA Reduced Prices;(Erlotinib),Brand or Generic. Contact: pharmainfo@lotrain.com
Avi

Tel Aviv, Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Hello my grandfather have lung cancer , the doctor said that he need to take Tarceva medication. can some one advice me where is the best place to buy this medication?
Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••